View Full Version : GSAK Questions

Hiram357
03-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Is there a way to download a more in depth gpx or loc file for GSAK that has the same maps and pics that the pages on GC.COM has??

Why is it that when i download a new pocket query, some caches that I have already logged as found show up as unfound, even though it shows them as found on gc.com?

If this program can do anything, why can't it get me a FTF?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

Haffy
03-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking Hiram but I think what you need is instant notifications if you want that elusive FTF. Go to your account page and on the right handside there is a heading for premium members. Click on Instant Notifications and you will be given a number of types of caches to select . If you want to get notifications on all the different types of caches then you will have to check each one individually as you go along. That way you will get an email about the newly posted cache usually before it is actually posted to the cache page. Hope that was what you were asking for. The only downside to that is you have to be a premium member but if you are getting pocket queries then you are a member already anyway.

As far as the first 2 questions you are asking I can't give you a definative answer on those.

tat
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
It's probably the way you constuct you pq. Most likely, the pq you made does not include some of the caches that are already in the gsask database. For example, if you have selected "caches I have not found" then, your found caches are not included in the new pq and those entries in the gsak database do not get updated.

If all else fails, you could just make a new database.

team teebow
03-04-2006, 09:55 AM
OK since we are asking GSAK questions, I just started using it and my question for you folks is, what is the best way to cover the state of Maine? Do you have specific zip codes that work well for coverage?

I do not want to re-invent the wheel if you already have...

Team Teebow :)

Mainiac1957
03-04-2006, 10:30 AM
On GSAK you can set filter parameters for so many items. Using unfound and then putting Maine in as part of the filter you will only get hides in Maine. Where as if you don't you will get other states as well. I had to play with the filters alot before I was satisfied. I have it running well now. I'll bring my laptop to the next event and see I can help if you haven't got it figured out by then.

team teebow
03-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I guess I should go read the manual. GSAK doesn't go get updates by itself does it? I thought you needed to load Pocket Queries into it.:confused:

dí76
03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I use three zipcodes. 04468 03904 04769 and that gives me the whole state;)

I also use 500 mile radious

Sabby
03-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Up untill recently I was able to get all the caches in Maine with 2 pocket surveys. Now that there are more than 900 caches in Maine and it is harder. I still get most of them using one pc for 500 caches in Maine centered at N 40 00.000 , W 74 00.000 , 390 miles. The second for 500 caches in Maine centered at N 48 00.000 , W 66 00.000 , 310 miles. Perhaps you can refine the cords and/or distances to include them all.

More recently I just do pc's for an area around the city I am going to visit.

team teebow
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help! I was at least headed down the right trail. I tried 3 different zips this morning but seemed to come up about 40 short of what GC said was in Maine. I'll try what you guys have to see if I can pick up my missing caches.

Thanks again!!!!

Team Teebow 1 :cool:

Mainiac1957
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I do one query with only traditional caches and another with all the other types. This way you're not going over the 500 allowed. I just use my home zip code and set it for Maine only and a distance of 500 miles. This way I am getting everything in the whole state. That is at least until we go over 500 traditional caches that I haven't found. And yes then I load them into GSAK. I do this by saving the attachment to my desktop and dropping on the GSAK icon. GSAK will automatically open, unzip, and place the caches in your database. Hopes this helps. If not PM me a phone number and I'll give you a ring and see if I can confuse you any more.:eek:

team teebow
03-04-2006, 11:41 AM
This helps A LOT!!! I'm well on my way, now I just need to get accustomed to using it.

Team Teebow 1

Hiram357
03-04-2006, 07:14 PM
so im assuming that there's no way to just pq all of the caches in maine without doing multiple querys right?? And I do have my pq set to not give me found caches, but these same few keep popping up, i even tried starting a new pq.... and my mother always told me to mind my p's and q's:D

noreasta
03-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Isn't technology grand, I just love it. Kidding aside , I can not imagine caching with paper anymore, i cached my first 2.5 years with this huge note book only to find some of my pages would outdated of course and yes i logged some miles unnecessarily. Anyway.. I love todays tech world. The last year and a half i have gone paper less. it is a pain to figure out sometime but well worth the effort.. Good luck.. P.S. I many times will delete waypoints in GSAK and geocach waypoints on my gps and reload all..

Hiram357
03-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Isn't technology grand, I just love it. Kidding aside , I can not imagine caching with paper anymore, i cached my first 2.5 years with this huge note book only to find some of my pages would outdated of course and yes i logged some miles unnecessarily. Anyway.. I love todays tech world. The last year and a half i have gone paper less. it is a pain to figure out sometime but well worth the effort.. Good luck.. P.S. I many times will delete waypoints in GSAK and geocach waypoints on my gps and reload all..

I agree, today after I hit the caches I set out to do I kept putting in my current locations finding the nearest caches, I did 6 good ones in one day!! I love being able to see all the information that is on GC.Com without the pile of papers. ( But I would still like to find a way to get the little maps with the gpx files )

attroll
03-04-2006, 11:16 PM
I guess I should go read the manual. GSAK doesn't go get updates by itself does it? I thought you needed to load Pocket Queries into it.:confused:

Yes you have to have pocket queries to load into GSAK. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that when you do a pocket query is that a pocket query can only save 500 max cache entries. So you can if you want to get more then 500 you will have to it in sections.

Gob-ler
03-05-2006, 12:06 AM
in order for GSAK to credit your caches placed and found properly take the following steps:

1. on your menu bar find - Tools
2. under tools click on - Options
3. Find the part that talks of "Method for matching placed/found caches
4. You want click on "Exact Match"
5. Place your geocaching name in the box.

Now when you load your info into GSAK you will get all the credit you deserve.

Just remember, it is not about the numbers!

Hiram357
03-05-2006, 12:14 AM
in order for GSAK to credit your caches placed and found properly take the following steps:

1. on your menu bar find - Tools
2. under tools click on - Options
3. Find the part that talks of "Method for matching placed/found caches
4. You want click on "Exact Match"
5. Place your geocaching name in the box.

Now when you load your info into GSAK you will get all the credit you deserve.

Just remember, it is not about the numbers!

ah ha!
i just had an idea for a cache event! a GSAK training day!:D

WhereRWe?
03-05-2006, 07:31 AM
ah ha!
i just had an idea for a cache event! a GSAK training day!:D

No you'd need a GSAK Training WEEK! LOL!

Is there's anything GSAK can't do? :p :p

Hiram357
03-05-2006, 09:14 AM
No you'd need a GSAK Training WEEK! LOL!

Is there's anything GSAK can't do? :p :p

it can't find the cache for you, but i hear that's comin out in the next version. :rolleyes:

Slate
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I get all my PQs for the entire state in 2 queries using dates placed. I just get all the caches in Maine placed between 1/1/01 & 9/10/04 and a second query between 9/11/04 & 12/31/09. I run 2 more queries for New Hampshire the same way and that gives me all the caches I usually need.

Sabby
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks Slate. I like that method of breaking it down. I am going to try it.

team teebow
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for this tip......Now to go rebuild my queries...

Slate
03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
If you use this method for your PQs, at some point once Maine has more than 1000 caches, you will have limit the date on the second PQ and start a third.

Haffy
03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Fortunately for me I have to use only 2 queries as well as I have over 500 finds. I do one query for all my finds and one for my unfound caches right from my zipcode within 250 miles and I get them all.

Slate
03-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Fortunately for me I have to use only 2 queries as well as I have over 500 finds. I do one query for all my finds and one for my unfound caches right from my zipcode within 250 miles and I get them all.

That is way too easy! Most of your 500+ finds must be in Maine then?

Haffy
03-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes they are,I only have 6 out of state and those were in SC when I visited with my younger sister.
And I deleted that extra log that you mentioned to me as well. Don't know how that ever happened. Thanks for the heads up. Haffy

Slate
03-06-2006, 06:03 PM
And I deleted that extra log that you mentioned to me as well. Don't know how that ever happened. Thanks for the heads up. Haffy

No big deal on the double log. One mistake out of 500+ isn't bad. Except, I guess that means that the coin distribution event was only your 499 find. Bummer.:(

Haffy
03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Damn thats right!!!! You would have had to mention that now wouldn't you and now I have only 516. Double bummer. What the heck it's only a number right? :( :( :(

Hiker Twins
03-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Ok...so I am sinking deeper and deeper into the technical world of geocaching!
After 7 hours and a little (maybe a lot) help from atroll I have gsak on my desktop, cachemate on my Tungsten T2 (I am not sure my sister had it in mind that I would be lugging it around in the woods when she bought it for me for Christmas!), and my first pocket query results downloaded onto my GPS.... AND it all works! The next step? To try paperless caching:) Darn, I hope this doesn't eventually lead to the demise of my husband's paper industry job!