View Full Version : This was kinda neat

d’76
03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I found this while I was out in the woods last week. I know that eagles are big but this was very telling. I suspect that a mouse or some other rodents became a dinner at this point. These marks where made by an eagle that was in the area. I thought that it was kind of big but then when I went and looked it is about six feet from wing tip to wing tip

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/FebruaryVacation043.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/f158/dave19761/?)

Hiram357
03-05-2006, 11:35 AM
are those brushes from the wingtips as it was swooping down?? I saw a pretty big eagle last year at a family picnic, it landed in a tree near us and was looking pretty hungrily at the smaller children, and as we were all standing there in amazment and awe of this huge bird and talking about how it was the great symbol of America and what not... it let go one massive bowel movement... i'm not kiddin ya, this thing could've filled a 5 gallon bucket!! but in support of your story I wouldn't doubt that they could get that big, especially after they've been so strongly protected and cared for in the last 10 years. :D :D :D

Smitty & Co.
03-05-2006, 12:12 PM
For those of you who don't already know, I'm one of them dying breeds, I trap as a part-time income and hobby. This year I have given a bunch of beaver carcasses to an old-time trapper here in Burnham that can't get out much anymore. He lives on Rt. 100 between Burnham and Pittsfield with an open view of the impoundment behind the dam there on the Sabasticook and sees bald eagles on a regular basis. He stated to me in an earlier conversation that he'd been seeing them and would like to feed them to help them throught the winter a bit.(bald eagles are very efficient predators) Still, I offered him the "bait" and he has just had a ball watching them (6 adults at one time) eagles feed. "Swoop" marks are like this are fairly common around bait as the eagles will also grab any mouse or vole leaving the bait when they see those big shadows "swooping" in. He has also taken two adult male coyotes from his back porch over this bait at a distance of about 175 yds., not bad shooting for an 86 yr. old man. Anyhoo, I'm rambling........:rolleyes: Cool Pic Dave! :D :p :D

firefighterjake
03-05-2006, 06:24 PM
For those of you who don't already know, I'm one of them dying breeds, I trap as a part-time income and hobby. This year I have given a bunch of beaver carcasses to an old-time trapper here in Burnham that can't get out much anymore. He lives on Rt. 100 between Burnham and Pittsfield with an open view of the impoundment behind the dam there on the Sabasticook and sees bald eagles on a regular basis. He stated to me in an earlier conversation that he'd been seeing them and would like to feed them to help them throught the winter a bit.(bald eagles are very efficient predators) Still, I offered him the "bait" and he has just had a ball watching them (6 adults at one time) eagles feed. "Swoop" marks are like this are fairly common around bait as the eagles will also grab any mouse or vole leaving the bait when they see those big shadows "swooping" in. He has also taken two adult male coyotes from his back porch over this bait at a distance of about 175 yds., not bad shooting for an 86 yr. old man. Anyhoo, I'm rambling........:rolleyes: Cool Pic Dave! :D :p :D

There's a young fella in the Knox Area who has started up a part-time business selling trapping supplies . . . Christian Something . . . I met him while doing a story on fly fishing. You don't happen to know him do you?

Incidentally, what do you think of the latest trapping issue coming before the Legislature? I voted against the bear hunting referendum, but I suspect this latest bit attempting to ban steel traps for bears might pass . . . although I also suspect that most trappers are probably using leg hold snares for bear.

Smitty & Co.
03-05-2006, 06:48 PM
There's a young fella in the Knox Area who has started up a part-time business selling trapping supplies . . . Christian Something . . . I met him while doing a story on fly fishing. You don't happen to know him do you?

Incidentally, what do you think of the latest trapping issue coming before the Legislature? I voted against the bear hunting referendum, but I suspect this latest bit attempting to ban steel traps for bears might pass . . . although I also suspect that most trappers are probably using leg hold snares for bear.

Yes Jake I do know him and have purchased some supplies off him, Nice young man and the sport does need young blood to stay alive. His name is Christian Carlson and he owns Moosehead Trail Trap Supply in Thorndike.

Personally I don't think it will make it far. The Maine Friends of Animals really don't have a leg to stand on. They lack credibility plain and simple.
The three methods in place for harvesting black bear are the best management methods to date, anywhere.
Here's the link the the Maine Trappers Association website www.mta.homestead.com/ (http://www.mta.homestead.com/) Our Legislative liason Skip Trask has his current report here within one of the links. Check it out.
Also, contrary to what most folks think, most trappers still favor the big foothold steel traps for bear. They are much more expensive than the cable types but you know your bear will be there waiting for you when you get there.