View Full Version : No Maps?

Haffy
03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but recently when I bring up a cache page from GC.com the maps are not showing up like they used to. You know the little maps by the coordinates and also the bigger map that is displayed below the decrypt alphabet. I asked this same question on the Groundspeak forums but couldn't get a definative answer. Any suggestions as to why they are not showing and how I can get them back. Thanks Haffy

d’76
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I can see the larger map at the middle of the page but nothing up by the coords.

Wish I could be more help.:confused:

Sabby
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't see any maps or coordinates until I log in then it is all there.

Oops that was for a NY cache.:) Even after logging on the little maps for several Maine caches do not show up while the bigger one near the decrypt info does.:mad: Yet on some other Maine caches both the little and the big map show up.:) Must be something in how they are set up.

Short answer. I don't know.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hiram357
03-07-2006, 07:50 PM
ummmm.... i've noticed that some maps are different, like some will be mapquest maps, others will be google maps, and some will be those generic ones that only have red and blue lines. I haven't seen any without maps. Maybe the people at groundspeak are just messing with you, or maybe you said somethin to upset them and so now they're just doing it to irritate you... :D :D :D

Haffy
03-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't see any maps or coordinates until I log in then it is all there.

Oops that was for a NY cache.:) Even after logging on the little maps for several Maine caches do not show up while the bigger one near the decrypt info does.:mad: Yet on some other Maine caches both the little and the big map show up.:) Must be something in how they are set up.

Short answer. I don't know.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Nope that can't be it,cause I am logged in and they still don't show. For instance can anyone else see a map on this new cache listing? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d5fbc4e-3e52-4f3f-88c8-0dc3d81b6db1

Hiker Twins
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Nope that can't be it,cause I am logged in and they still don't show. For instance can anyone else see a map on this new cache listing? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d5fbc4e-3e52-4f3f-88c8-0dc3d81b6db1

I can see the map when I log onto this cache. It is just the "blue" one that is there when the cache is first listed.

Haffy
03-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Nope I don't even get that little map. This is weird. In groundspeak they said it might be my firewall or popup blocker but I have my popup blocker disabled but don't want to disable my firewall. Do you suppose it could be my firewall? I never had this problem before though.

Sudonim
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM

I can see that map, but it takes a while to load (on a cable modem). The whole page loads, and I get a black outline box, but no map. My progress bar on the browser still shows downloading, then after a minute, I get the map. (Haffy, hope you plan on gettin' up early tomorrow, I'm heading up there:D )

Hiker Twins
03-07-2006, 09:52 PM
What browser are you using? I am using Netscape and it seems like most people use Internet Explorer. I am not having any trouble seeing any maps on geocaching.

Haffy
03-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Been using IE for years with no problem until just recently with the no show maps.

Haffy
03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I can see that map, but it takes a while to load (on a cable modem). The whole page loads, and I get a black outline box, but no map. My progress bar on the browser still shows downloading, then after a minute, I get the map. (Haffy, hope you plan on gettin' up early tomorrow, I'm heading up there:D )

Andy it's only 15 minutes from my house......:D

Sabby
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
If you two are going to continue discussing it I am going to leave now. It is only 8 hours away.;)

becket
03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
i'm not seeing the little map that is usually up by the name, but i am seeing the big blue one that they use when a cache is first published.

WhereRWe?
03-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Been using IE for years with no problem until just recently with the no show maps.

Change to Firefox! LOL! :p :p

(I also get just the basic map - with no detail - like Hiker Twins)

Sudonim
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Andy it's only 15 minutes from my house......:D

You need to get out of bed earlier next time then:p
If you drive a white GMC pickup, I think I saw you on the way out from the FTF

attroll
03-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I am seeing the maps. You have to wait until the status bar at the bottom of the browsers says "Done". Then the map should show up. I am on DSL and sometimes it takes a while for the map to show up. I think it is because of the way GC is retrieving the map.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Maps? Why not just use your GPSr? Much better for finding caches than maps:D .

I too only get the map on the lower right of the page, Adjacent to the cache description. The one that use to appear under the coordinates is now only a link to the map that once was there.

Haffy
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
You need to get out of bed earlier next time then:p
If you drive a white GMC pickup, I think I saw you on the way out from the FTF

Sorry Andy I was there around 7:45 or so and I drive a little red GEO of course.

FuddsGirls
03-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I get a basic map with a star for this one but thanks to you I now know its Map Quest. When I clicked on the star I got a better map. Learn something new everyday:p

Hiram357
03-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Maps are for Magellan users!! :p :p :p

robt
03-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Maps are for Magellan users!! :p :p :p

Magellan users don't need maps, our GPS Has them :)