View Full Version : pocket querys

Starzz
03-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok, I am just not getting these pocket querys. I set one up tonight, and I only got the caches I found in that area. I have no clue what to check and not check off in the list. I could use some help here, please!! :confused: :)

Sue

Haffy
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Well they are pretty self explanatory but this is what I do for setting up one of my queries. The one I chose was all my unfound caches. I usually leave the any type and any containers just as they are and you will get them all. Make sure you check off the day of the week and I usually check to run this query once and delete it. Next I check off I havent found and don't own. Select the maximum which would be 500 as that is the limit for one query. Of course the country and in your case the province,then the postal code and then the radius which I usually use 250 miles but it depends on how far and how many caches are in that area you are in.The rest I leave blank and make sure you use the GPX format and check off compress into ZIP files and submit. Thats all there is to it and within the most a minute or 2 check your email for the zip file. From there if you use GSAK just drag the file into GSAK and wa la you have all your unfound caches all set up in the file you designate it to be in. Hope that explained it enough for yah. If anyone can post a printed screen of it then that would be even better. I usually just keep 2 files in GSAK one of my unfound caches and one of my found caches.

Starzz
03-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks John, I'll give that a try tomorrow when I am more awake. :)

WhereRWe?
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Ok, I am just not getting these pocket querys. I set one up tonight, and I only got the caches I found in that area. I have no clue what to check and not check off in the list. I could use some help here, please!! :confused: :)

Sue

Haffy's explanation was good, but remember that some categories require you to check TWO blocks. For example, if you check "event cache", you gotta remember to check "selected types" above it or it won't work.

Also, if you're looking for caches in New Brunswick, and check that, DO NOT check "Canada" in the country block above. That screws it up, too.

:D :D

Starzz
03-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Haffy's explanation was good, but remember that some categories require you to check TWO blocks. For example, if you check "event cache", you gotta remember to check "selected types" above it or it won't work.

Also, if you're looking for caches in New Brunswick, and check that, DO NOT check "Canada" in the country block above. That screws it up, too.

:D :D

Are you trying to confuse me more? ;) cause it doesnt take much for that! lol

Sudonim
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I have had some problems with PQ's too. Last week I ran a 500 cache search for unfound caches closest to Bangor. Downloaded them to my GPS, but when I was in Augusta that day, I had to manually input half of the caches I had printed out the night before. I can't believe that there are 500 caches between Bangor and Augusta that I haven't found yet, but the search wasn't getting to Gardiner/Augusta. I'll try again, but that's the second time I've had caches not download from a PQ.

Starzz
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok.. what am i doing wrong??????

Im trying to do a pocket query but its empty!!

Query Name: Ellsworth

I have it set to run Saturday. then uncheck

Any type
Any container
I haven't found
I don't own
Terrain & difficulty greater or equal to 1
For countries & state/provinces I have none selected
Postal code 04605
with radius of 100 miles
Places during none selected

gpx format, ebook format and compress into .zip

Sallywag
04-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Did you check off anything under terrain/difficulty? If so, try leaving that blank. I've found that keeping it as simple as possible works best! I had a lot of trouble with those at first too. Kept coming up empty too.

WhereRWe?
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Sheesh! Looks good to me.

Are you sure the email address that it is being sent to is one you're checking?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sabby
04-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Name Acadia
Days Saturday
Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs
Show 300 caches
Any Type
Any Container
Check States/Provinces and highlight MAine

Check Postal Code and enter 04605

Radius of 30 miles

GPS Exchange format (*.gpx)

Compress into *.zip format

Haffy
04-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Yep you forgot to check and highlight the state of Maine.

WhereRWe?
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Yep you forgot to check and highlight the state of Maine.

No - I never do for Maine queries! I just input the ZIP code.

Must be something else...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Starzz
04-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Name Acadia
Days Saturday
Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs
Show 300 caches
Any Type
Any Container
Check States/Provinces and highlight MAine

Check Postal Code and enter 04605

Radius of 30 miles

GPS Exchange format (*.gpx)

Compress into *.zip format

I just entered this information. I set it to Sunday tho, so I'll have a look at it in the morning.

Sabby
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
It is now Sunday at 8:45 PM.

Tell us what happened.

Starzz
04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
but but but i havent been home most of the day!!!!!!!!! gimme a few minutes and i shall see!!

brdad
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Here's a helpful hint when creating PQs and you don't want to forfiet one of your 5 allowed for a day when you screw something up.

Don't check off any day of the week when you submit the PQ. Just create it, and once it's created, preview the results. Check the number of caches it produces and see if they appear to be in the correct area.

If it worked, then all you have to do is go back and edit the PQ and select the day(s) you want to get the PQ.

If it did not work, edit the PQ the same way until it does. because gc.com did not send you a PQ, it will not count toward your daily quota.

This is a good way to get PQs that are under the 500 cache limit. Keep adjusting the PQ and previewing the results until you have just under 500, then select a day to produce it. if you select the current day, the PQ will be send within minutes after selecting the day usually.

Starzz
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok, I did what you said Sabby and I got 151 caches. Thanks!

Starzz
04-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Here's a helpful hint when creating PQs and you don't want to forfiet one of your 5 allowed for a day when you screw something up.

Don't check off any day of the week when you submit the PQ. Just create it, and once it's created, preview the results. Check the number of caches it produces and see if they appear to be in the correct area.

If it worked, then all you have to do is go back and edit the PQ and select the day(s) you want to get the PQ.

If it did not work, edit the PQ the same way until it does. because gc.com did not send you a PQ, it will not count toward your daily quota.

This is a good way to get PQs that are under the 500 cache limit. Keep adjusting the PQ and previewing the results until you have just under 500, then select a day to produce it. if you select the current day, the PQ will be send within minutes after selecting the day usually.

Ohhh, thanks for the hint!! :)

Hiram357
04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
what's the easiest way to download all the caches in maine?? use mulitiple zip codes??

brdad
04-15-2006, 06:55 AM
what's the easiest way to download all the caches in maine?? use mulitiple zip codes??

I believe the following is the best way, and I use it. It will have no duplicates, so you get your money's worth.

Using the method of test-firing PQs in my previous post in this thread, search for all Maine caches as you normally would, and don't select any origin. Then, play with the "Placed during" numbers until you get close to 500 caches. For example, I get 2 PQs for my unfound Maine caches. My first PQ has caches placed from Jan 1, 2000 to Feb 28th 2006, and my second PQ has caches between March 1st, 2006 and December 31st, 2009.

Hiram357
04-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I believe the following is the best way, and I use it. It will have no duplicates, so you get your money's worth.

Using the method of test-firing PQs in my previous post in this thread, search for all Maine caches as you normally would, and don't select any origin. Then, play with the "Placed during" numbers until you get close to 500 caches. For example, I get 2 PQs for my unfound Maine caches. My first PQ has caches placed from Jan 1, 2000 to Feb 28th 2006, and my second PQ has caches between March 1st, 2006 and December 31st, 2009. 2009???:confused:

brdad
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
2009???:confused:

Well, if you'd rather, you can set it to 4/15/2006 today, edit it tomorrow to say 4/16/2006, the next day edit it to 4/17/2006, etc., etc., etc......

With your last PQ, it just makes sense to set it to the latest date that GC.com will allow, so that it will always include the latest caches. Well, at least until December 31st, 2009. :D

Let me see if I can explain in a manner you would understand...

Say I built you a computerized beer converor system. It will deliver a beer to your recliner every 5 minutes from your fridge and you get to specify which date range it will function. Do you set it for 4/15/06 since 4/16/06 hasn't come yet, or do you set it for the last date my software allows, which is
December 31st, 2009? :D

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Say I built you a computerized beer converor system. It will deliver a beer to your recliner every 5 minutes from your fridge and you get to specify which date range it will function.

Can you give us an estimate on how much that would cost? You can probably cut the cost a lot by just designing it to deliver a beer every 20 minutes, too. I'm not like Hiram... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Sheesh! I remember WELL the days when we lived in Belgium, and had Stella Artois delivered to our doorstep. Glass bottles, wooden crate, and all that. It is encouraging, though to see that Stella is now available in the Solon Corner Market! Sheesh! What is the world coming to??? :eek: :eek: )

Hiram357
04-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, if you'd rather, you can set it to 4/15/2006 today, edit it tomorrow to say 4/16/2006, the next day edit it to 4/17/2006, etc., etc., etc......

With your last PQ, it just makes sense to set it to the latest date that GC.com will allow, so that it will always include the latest caches. Well, at least until December 31st, 2009. :D

Let me see if I can explain in a manner you would understand...

Say I built you a computerized beer converor system. It will deliver a beer to your recliner every 5 minutes from your fridge and you get to specify which date range it will function. Do you set it for 4/15/06 since 4/16/06 hasn't come yet, or do you set it for the last date my software allows, which is
December 31st, 2009? :D

THATS INSANE!!!! why would I have a beer conveyor going that slow??? I'd be better off hooking a garden hose up to the kegerator... :D