View Full Version : Technical Qwestuns

Hiram357
03-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Do memory cards actually hold accesable memory? I just replaced a stick on my desktop pc, and was wondering if ithe old stick (256mb) would be safe to put it in a cache? and two what's the best way to dispose of an old hard drive, i just upgraded to an 80 gig (woo hoo) and need to get rid of the old one.

The G Team
03-14-2006, 10:10 PM
I would fill the memory stick with files you don't care about, then delete them--that should overwrite any old data that might be on it. Unless someone is *really* intent on recovering the old data (and has the forensic equipment to do it) you should be fine.

Fdisking and reformatting the HD will stop casual users from getting any info off of it. To be safe from pros, open the case, pull out the platters and grind the media off, or take a sledge hammer to the drive, or torch cut it. Or, take it apart and make a decorative clock or paperweight (there are some really cool and powerful magnets in them that are super for securing micros (sorry Rick ;-) to metallic objects. One could also take a *357* and put a few +Ps thru it during target practice.

Hiram357
03-14-2006, 10:16 PM
HAHA, I like the way you think, perhaps I'll sight my 30.06 in with the hard drive! but how does one write information to the RAM stick?

I would fill the memory stick with files you don't care about, then delete them--that should overwrite any old data that might be on it. Unless someone is *really* intent on recovering the old data (and has the forensic equipment to do it) you should be fine.

Fdisking and reformatting the HD will stop casual users from getting any info off of it. To be safe from pros, open the case, pull out the platters and grind the media off, or take a sledge hammer to the drive, or torch cut it. Or, take it apart and make a decorative clock or paperweight (there are some really cool and powerful magnets in them that are super for securing micros (sorry Rick ;-) to metallic objects. One could also take a *357* and put a few +Ps thru it during target practice.

The G Team
03-15-2006, 06:56 AM
HAHA, I like the way you think, perhaps I'll sight my 30.06 in with the hard drive! but how does one write information to the RAM stick?

Ahhh...RAM stick--I was thinking USB drive-type "memory stick". RAM modules from inside the computer retain no data (they are Dynamic RAM, so no power=no data). I have made them into keychains and left them in caches myself.

The ought six will certainly take care the old HD!

WhereRWe?
03-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Ahhh...RAM stick--I was thinking USB drive-type "memory stick". RAM modules from inside the computer retain no data (they are Dynamic RAM, so no power=no data). I have made them into keychains and left them in caches myself.

But if the memory stick is still good, and you replaced it only put in a larger stick, you might want to put it in a non-conducting electronics bag, mark it to let people know that the memory is good, and leave it in a cache as a TREASURE! LOL!

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Do memory cards actually hold accesable memory? I just replaced a stick on my desktop pc, and was wondering if ithe old stick (256mb) would be safe to put it in a cache? and two what's the best way to dispose of an old hard drive, i just upgraded to an 80 gig (woo hoo) and need to get rid of the old one.

I've seen USB adapters and cases for making internal hard drive external. These item are cheap and then you;ll have the benefit of the addition usb external hard drive. I have two such drives I've set up very inexpensively. Great for going between several computer and a godsend for photo's, especially if you have a 20 gig plus drive!!!

Hiram357
03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
I've seen USB adapters and cases for making internal hard drive external. These item are cheap and then you;ll have the benefit of the addition usb external hard drive. I have two such drives I've set up very inexpensively. Great for going between several computer and a godsend for photo's, especially if you have a 20 gig plus drive!!!

and where does one find such an adaptation kit???

Hiram357
03-15-2006, 07:36 AM

cool, i think it would make very nice swag!

WhereRWe?
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM

Sheesh! Where can you find anything??? eBay! LOL!

Here's an example (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-5-USB-2-0-EXTERNAL-HARD-DRIVE-ENCLOSURE-CASE-BOX_W0QQitemZ8780795837QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem).

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Hiram, WhereRWE? is Right!! eBay is the best place although pc junkyard may carry them. Give them a call.

Slate
03-15-2006, 09:29 AM
...and two what's the best way to dispose of an old hard drive, i just upgraded to an 80 gig (woo hoo) and need to get rid of the old one.

Do you have an extra drive bay in your computer? If you do you could keep the old drive and use it as a backup drive for important files. That's what I did when I bought a new hard drive.

robt
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Ebay has many of them listed and i have seen them in a few electronics stores but they are more expensive.

I have been useing a usb / ide adapter cable on my laptop for over a year now for a 16o gb backup hd and for my DVD burner and it has worked great for me. I picked the know I have with the powerpack and 2.5" hd adapter for less than $20 on ebay. I also use the cable to recover data from a laptop.

brdad
03-15-2006, 07:02 PM
You get excited about an item being $1.99 only to find out they want $13 for shipping. I wish the computer shows would come back to Maine.

WhereRWe?
03-16-2006, 07:26 AM
You get excited about an item being $1.99 only to find out they want $13 for shipping. I wish the computer shows would come back to Maine.

Sheesh! Don't you know that those computer show guys ARE the ones selling stuff on eBay! LOL!

brdad
03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Sheesh! Don't you know that those computer show guys ARE the ones selling stuff on eBay! LOL!

Ya, and you have to pay $4 bucks to get in and $30 in gas to get there and back, but at least I'm not paying shipping!

robt
03-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Actually the computer show guys mark the stuff up to redicluous levels and make more than they do on ebay... :) I have not seen any of the usb to ide adapters at the shows for less than $40 or more.