View Full Version : Southern Maine Caches

d’76
03-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Ok, eastern and northern Maine cachers we need to get off our buttocks and places some caches around the Bangor area. For many of us the closest caches are 40 miles away and any new caches that have been placed are almost all in southern maine. :(

firefighterjake
03-16-2006, 04:54 PM
It looks like Hiram is placing some in Central Maine . . . but I know what you mean . . . I've nearly tapped out the ones in the Bangor Area other than three or four multis which I have started working on . . . I tend to like the grab-and-go ones since the multis tend to provide me with a sense of delayed gratification and I'm kind of an instant gratification sort of guy.

I have started to give some thought to some possible locations in Bangor to place a cache or two on my part . . . it might be especially nice to have some caches in place by the time the Folk Festival rolls back into town since there may be a large influx of cachers from the rest of the state and even states beyond.

Cache Maine
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm working on my first puzzle cache. :D

Haffy
03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Did I every tell you I HATE PUZZLE CACHES.........:p

Hiram357
03-16-2006, 06:26 PM
im going to make a puzzle cache and call it "Haffy Taffy Cache" and the coords are going to be hidden in the ingredients of taffy!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Did I every tell you I HATE PUZZLE CACHES.........:p

A LOT of us hate puzzle caches, but it feels SOOOOO good when you figure one out! LOL!

Smitty & Co.
03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I have started to give some thought to some possible locations in Bangor to place a cache or two on my part . . . it might be especially nice to have some caches in place by the time the Folk Festival rolls back into town since there may be a large influx of cachers from the rest of the state and even states beyond.

I thought Bangor was the host city of the Folk festival for only three years and I believe last year was their third year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:

Hiram357
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
A LOT of us hate puzzle caches, but it feels SOOOOO good when you figure one out! LOL!

Unless it's one of laughing terry's and you solve it only to find yourself looking down an icy cliff saying to yourself "If I go down there I could probably fall to my death and nobody would find me for weeks" but it's that feeling you get after you get back into the Jeep and clean up all the blood and put the teeth in a ziploc, and pack the loose limb or two that just might be able to be re-attatched on ice that makes it all worth while! :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I thought Bangor was the host city of the Folk festival for only three years and I believe last year was their third year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:
It was the National Folk Festival for three years. That's how long they go to a host city. Last year was the inaugural year for The American Folk Festival on the Bangor Waterfront. It is being produced locally and features the same format as the National had. I have gone from start to finish for the last four years and have enjoyed it immensely. It seems as if it gets stronger and more popular every year. Last year several cachers including T2H, KK and Haffy just to name a few showed up to sample some of the music , food and drink offered. I've thought about making it some type of event, but a festival like this doesn't want a structured gathering. I would like to see people just come and enjoy themselves. I will be there again this year for sure. :cool:

tat
03-17-2006, 08:22 AM
... I've thought about making it some type of event, but a festival like this doesn't want a structured gathering.

GC.com doesn't want events at festivals either.

firefighterjake
03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Ok, eastern and northern Maine cachers we need to get off our buttocks and places some caches around the Bangor area. For many of us the closest caches are 40 miles away and any new caches that have been placed are almost all in southern maine. :(

Dave . . . your wish shall soon be granted. It won't be one of the more original spots for a cache, but I saw a place this morning that could use a cache and it's in the Bangor Area . . . now I just need to go out and stock up on some used CDs since I intend to make this a theme cache. If anyone has any they would like to donate . . . musical CDs that is. . . . I'll be going away for a few days this week so I probably won't get this up and running until sometime next week though.

And Dave . . . I'll keep my eyes open while I'm tooling around Bangor in the FireMarshalBill-mobile for any other good hiding spots . . . maybe I'll make that this week's and next week's project!

Incidentally thanks to Hiram's FTF A Thon there are a ton of new caches in the Central Maine Area . . . and trust me Unity and Winslow-Waterville isn't that far away from Bangor -- it's worth the trip, really!

Mainiac1957
03-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I am looking to put out a bunch in the next week or so. I don't think it will be as dramatic as the Waterville FTF a thon. But it will be something.;)

robt
03-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I am working on placing 2 caches between the portland and brunswick area this spring. I have the general location on 1 and just need to find a hiding place, get permission and figure out the schedule for access for it. I hope to have that worked out in the next month or so. The other is going to be a puzzle and I need to find a good location and work out the logistics of the puzzle but the general work is laid out. Don't worry, this one is going to be a brain teaser type that you will not have to retrieve the puzzle and solve it, but then I might have to do a stationary puzzle as well. But then I do not want to say too much so that know one gets an unfair headstart... :) that and too many people allready know my thoughts on the next puzzle.

The third cache I have in mind may be a really big multi cache. Sign post bingo :) but that one is just a thought not a real plan yet :)

The only thing I am having is actually finding places that do not have a cache that is worth putting one. If anyone is interested in working with me on some of this summers caches that would be cool. I have a few ideas that would be really crewl but I have not been able to find the right locations for them as of yet cause of the specific requirements for the cache placement. The thought for a new series is you can not get there from here........ :D :D :D

firefighterjake
03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Dave . . . I just submitted a cache for you (it hasn't been approved or posted yet though). It's definitely not one of my best in terms of location, but it was appropriate for the location and its theme.

It isn't entitled "A Cache For Dave" . . . but it's fairly close to Bangor and I did it mainly for you and your "call to arms" . . . I'll try to get a few more out in the Bangor Area in the next few weeks as well.

Team2hunt
03-29-2006, 07:18 PM
If you are in, or are travelling to southern Maine. This is a MUST DO!! cache. I had so much fun today, wish I had Troy with me. Certainly entertaining for all ages.(GCV43M) Scrambled Eggs and you're Toast by GeoMaine (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7c332a9b-d316-4bf3-8363-4a0aae5a2b89) Enjoy as I did today. ;) :( :p :) :rolleyes: :D How my day went.

firefighterjake
04-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey Dave . . . stand by for a couple more Greater Bangor Area caches . . . part of what I'm informally calling "Dave's Call to Arms" caches -- your plea for more caches in Bangor! :) Bamhikers seem to be doing a pretty decent job of putting out more caches as well, eh?

Mainiac1957
04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I will be reporting somewhere around 8 or 9 new greater Bangor area caches later in the week.

firefighterjake
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I will be reporting somewhere around 8 or 9 new greater Bangor area caches later in the week.

Hurray . . . something for me to look forward to during my lunch break! Thanks Maniac.

tat
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Problem Solved!!!

I can't wait to get up to Bangor and the county!

Beach Comber
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Indeed! A trip to Bangor will hopefully be in my near future too! Not to mention that there are a bunch fo new caches in the county again!

firefighterjake
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Problem Solved!!!

I can't wait to get up to Bangor and the county!

On Saturday after seeing all of Maniac's new caches being listed I sat back and thought, "Between the Bamhikers, Maniac and myself this should make Dave pretty happy." :) Of course it has also made me quite happy myself.

About the county . . . I'm hoping to get up there sometime this summer for a dual ATV/geo-caching vacation. I love it up there.

Beach Comber
04-10-2006, 04:14 PM
About the county . . . I'm hoping to get up there sometime this summer for a dual ATV/geo-caching vacation. I love it up there.

There are some fantastic trails - when I was there last summer, I was wishing I had an ATV to play with - would have been lots of fun!