View Full Version : Mapsource Topo USA

d’76
03-19-2006, 02:38 PM
What a bitch. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a laptop for caching and was very excited to finally have real time tracking on the laptop from the gps.

After checking out Mainiac1957s laptop and seeing how valuable this really could be I came home and tried it only to find that topo used to have that option in the version that you purchase (3.02) then in the upgrades they removed it and now is no longer availible. I need to call them tomorrow and figure out what went wrong. I cant imagine such a valuable resource being removed from software. And since you need the update to run any usb gps you will never be able to use real time.

If any one can add light to this for me it would be great.

Dave

tat
03-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I use mapsource topo on my laptop and have no problem. You need to go to the website and download the latest version 6.10.2, it's a free download. http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

d’76
03-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I use mapsource topo on my laptop and have no problem. You need to go to the website and download the latest version 6.10.2, it's a free download. http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Hey Tom,

I got the newest update. I did that today but I cant figure out how to do real time tracking. Example I am driving down the road and want to have my laptop do real time tracking on the laptop screen. Can you tell me how it's done and where the menus are to get my gps to do it??
:confused:

tat
03-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't think Mapsource has realtime tracking. I'd use either Delorme, Streets and Trips or Maptech.

d’76
03-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't think Mapsource has realtime tracking. I'd use either Delorme, Streets and Trips or Maptech.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Changes made from version 6.5 to 6.7:

one of the changes was to :
Removed real-time tracking from MapSource. Use nRoute for PC real-time tracking applications.
What is nROute

tat
03-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I didn't know that! Thanks. Here's the link for nRoute. http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=575

I'm downloading it now, we'll see how it works. Not sure how it can route using topo since the gpsr does not seem to use topo when routing!

d’76
03-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I didn't know that! Thanks. Here's the link for nRoute. http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=575

I'm downloading it now, we'll see how it works. Not sure how it can route using topo since the gpsr does not seem to use topo when routing!

I have it downloaded on both and will be interested to see how it works.

I love how they pull this **** out of unit software and not tell any one. Imagine if you had already left for a trip and went to use it.:(

d’76
03-19-2006, 05:00 PM
It seems to be working fine on the notebook. It is just one more program to run and try to figure out.

Oh BTW disregard the disclaimer they put on the first page when nRoute opens...LOL:D

d’76
03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I know that topo doesnt support autorouting but does any one know if garmin is going to make a patch so that it will. It would be a shame to have to buy an aoturouting program so that you can have the best of both worlds but that is more than likely what they want.

tat
03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I didn't disregard the message, just made fun of it! :)

I'm not sure it make sense to try to autoroute via topo. The map is too detailed and it would be very difficult and complicated to show what is needed to navigate any given way. One man's road is another man's path! And, the smaller roads are very seasonal. Right now, you would probably have to walk 20 miles to get to my cache on West Mt. Kenebago. This summer, any car can drive within 2 miles.

I downloaded and installed nRoute, but now I can't use it till I get home becasue I didn't bring the CDs! I have every topo loaded on the gps from here to Niagra Falls and as far south as Virginia! I thought that would be enough for a two day trip to Brunswick.

d’76
03-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I didn't disregard the message, just made fun of it! :)

I'm not sure it make sense to try to autoroute via topo. The map is too detailed and it would be very difficult and complicated to show what is needed to navigate any given way. One man's road is another man's path! And, the smaller roads are very seasonal. Right now, you would probably have to walk 20 miles to get to my cache on West Mt. Kenebago. This summer, any car can drive within 2 miles.

I downloaded and installed nRoute, but now I can't use it till I get home becasue I didn't bring the CDs! I have every topo loaded on the gps from here to Niagra Falls and as far south as Virginia! I thought that would be enough for a two day trip to Brunswick.

Check your pm's in a bit, I'm gonna send you sumpten

d’76
03-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Check your pm's in a bit, I'm gonna send you sumpten

I got the pm to you follow the directions

attroll
03-19-2006, 06:45 PM
DeLorme Topo does real time tracking and I sware by it. But you can not put the maps on a GPS. But the software is awesome.

Hiram357
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I personally don't care for Garmins mapsource, I was greatly disapointed and thought it was a waste of time. My personal favorites are MS Streets and Trips for the navigation (it does has real time navigation, waypoint and routing options) and National Geographic Backwoods Explorer TOPO for the planning of caches because it has very detailed terrain, makes for easy calculations on elevation rises (and if my jeep will get through) I've tried a lot of different map programs and those two are the ones I'm sticking with. (Although I haven't used any DeLorme programs I never go anywhere without my Atlas you can never go wrong with that)

Hammockman61
03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Dave have not tried real time tracking on my garmin, but on my old Magelin you had to make sure the NMEA settings were correct. hope this helps

Tony

tat
03-19-2006, 08:20 PM
I like Maptech's Terrain Navigator. The maps look just like USGS maps. It's a bit pricey ($100 for New England) and a lot of CDs, but it is nice.

Gob-ler
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I use the Garmin Topo on my GPS and really like it. It is pretty accurate for the most part. It is missing the Bridge in Bath so I think I am going swimming every time I head over that way. I also spend a lot of time off road in the woods and the elevation and detail on swamps and such proves most helpful.

I must say that after this weekend and the FTFathon I will be getting the Delorme Street Atlas software and get it up and running. Neat stuff that does a lot of different things.

WhereRWe?
03-20-2006, 07:08 AM
I personally don't care for Garmins mapsource, I was greatly disapointed and thought it was a waste of time.

LOL! I bet you're the ONLY one who doesn't like Mapsource!

(But are you using it on a PDA or trying to use it on a laptop? It's FANTASTIC on a PDA.)

:D :D

attroll
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
LOL! I bet you're the ONLY one who doesn't like Mapsource!

(But are you using it on a PDA or trying to use it on a laptop? It's FANTASTIC on a PDA.)

:D :D

Nope he is not the only one. I don't like it either. The detail is not as good as Delorme Topo but as of right now you can not put Delorme Topo maps on a GPS. But Delorme Topo blows away Mapsource on the computer.

WhereRWe?
03-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Nope he is not the only one. I don't like it either. The detail is not as good as Delorme Topo but as of right now you can not put Delorme Topo maps on a GPS. But Delorme Topo blows away Mapsource on the computer.

Well, I wasn't talking about the Topo version, so I'll shut up. If we get around to discussing Mapsource City Select, knock me up-side-of-my-head. :o :o

tat
03-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Which is better, Metro Guide or City Select?

WhereRWe?
03-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Which is better, Metro Guide or City Select?

Sheesh! There have been SOOOOO many fights about this...

In my humble opinion, the best thing for you to do is to get together with someone who has one or the other or both, and see if it does want you want.

I TOTALLY like Mapsource City Select, but have NO experience with Metro Guide.

:D :D :D :D