View Full Version : Coordinate Verification

Sabby
03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
I came across this site in another geocaching forum and thought that some of the Maine cachers would be interested.

It lets cachers verify that they have calculated coordinates for offset, puzzle, etc. caches without having to contact the owner. The cache site is Evince and the link is http://evince.locusprime.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi

The owner can have it either require exact coordinates or set a distance that is close. I think it is kind of neat if you want to set up a puzzle cache but dont want to answer the emails of "Are these the right numbers?".

brdad
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
What? And not have the cacher twist in his chair for 8 hours waiting for an email? That's no fun!

One small downside of this I see (with the exception of if someone worked out a script to decode coords) is that a non-dnf logging cache hider would not be informed when someone was looking for his cache. Too bad gc.com couldn't do this and send you a note with the attempting cacher when someone attempted it.

Would be great for some caches, though. And great for cache hiders who only check their email once a month. Myself, I think I feel better knowing you're twisting in your chair. :D

tat
03-20-2006, 04:02 PM
I like this and may try it on Celestial Navigation. I just don't want to discourage anyone from trying to understand how to solve the puzzle. I'm always willing to help anyone through the process. Do you think this kind of verification would increase or decrease interest in solving the puzzle?

Sabby
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Lets face it Celestial Navagation is a difficult one to solve but it does provide a lot of insight into navigating by the stars. It was one of the most rewarding caches I have done from a learning point of view and yYou were very helpful in providing feedback to me. All this site is going to do is either say that you have the numbers exactly or you are close enough to be able to find it, depending on which option you choose for the feedback. It is not going to say that you are 440 feet away at 236 degrees mag.

A local cacher has used it on
Its all about the Benchmarks (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6d80834a-bd2f-47fb-853d-6c2e58155bc5) by Rusty O Junk (GCT93D)

if you want an example to look at.