View Full Version : Maine's 1000th Geocache

Ye Olde Prospector
03-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Congrats SteverPH

WOW

Looks like your Pleasant Point Park cache is the 1000th Maine geocache in the official listings for Maine. Now someone should try to beat Mountain Wanderer's (NH) record when he had logged every cache in NH including the cache event he was attending that day.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7bc7ffa-2db9-433a-82d9-5da99f9c3cc5

YOP

Haffy
03-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey that's great for Steverph. Do I get a prize for the FTF on Maine's
1000th cache?........:D :D :D

Hoamdezinahs
03-23-2006, 04:02 PM
At this point it is true that there there are 1000 listed caches, but, it's not really Maines # 1000 cache. Maine has had over 1400 caches listed, archived, relisted, deleted, etc. not to mention locationless which are no longer avalible. I checked with GPSFun a couple weeks ago on this very topic.
Not to break your bubble or anything, just facts. John

Haffy
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Awwww, crap, what a bubble buster.:mad:

Sudonim
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
It is still a milestone though if Maine has broken 1000 active caches "at the same time" for the first time.

Ye Olde Prospector
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi John,

Just trying to make the members of Geocaching Maine aware of the growth of this activity in Maine. When explaining geocaching to people one of the first questions asked is usually "How many geocaches are there in Maine?"
It wasn't that long ago it was less than four hundred. I think that 1000 is sort of a milestone and should be acknowledged. I have always gone by the GC Com listings by state. After all it's not about the numbers.:)

Cliff

Hoamdezinahs
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
My sweety and I found our first cache on march 25, a year ago this saturday. At that time there were 650 caches in maine. With the 1000 today thats a 53 % increase in one year. If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe :) :) :)

WhereRWe?
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe :) :) :)

I think the only way for that to happen would be for the the quality of caches in Maine to deteriorate GREATLY. We'll be reminiscing about the "good old days" when caching in Maine used to be "the way caching should be".. ;) ;)

Hoamdezinahs
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I think the only way for that to happen would be for the the quality of caches in Maine to deteriorate GREATLY. We'll be reminiscing about the "good old days" when caching in Maine used to be "the way caching should be".. ;) ;)

Exactly what is "the way caching should be" I would think it means a nice trail walk ending in a beautiful ocean view with a good dry container filled with decient stach. When is the last time anyone found that???
Most Maine hunts that I have been on are a so so trail at best, with,a leaky gladware container filled with reject McToys.
I've cached here now for a year, and unless we take our grandkids with us, who don't mind taking some of the "treasure", I have never found a cache worth trading in. (Except Gobblers and Rumblebees Christmas caches) More than half of the caches we have found sould be archived because of the crappy containers, the trash in them, or the lousy trail. I've been on some pretty lousy "pole line" hunts, and other crappy walks.
Maine, as much as any other state, has the potential of nice trail walks, and great views. But be honest, what percentage of finds really have those. I like a nice trail hike as much as the next guy, especially if it takes you somewhere special, I just dont see that many Maine caches that are what I would consider "the way caching should be".
As an adult, caches filled with junk don't do anything for me. I'll take a challenging micro hunt over that any day of the week.
I say bring on the micros, bring on the challenges, keep the trail walks, keep the scienic views, just get rid of the junk and crappy containers.
Just my thoughts, John

brdad
03-23-2006, 10:29 PM

I hear you there! But, I guess maybe we're the type that don't like change as much as others. While we can still try and promote our views, we still have to go with the flow.

brdad
03-23-2006, 10:35 PM
As some of you know, I keep (or used to; I've slacked all Winter) keep stats of Maine caches on my web page. In honor of Maine hitting 1000 active caches, here's the stats!

Total Caches: 1000

Travel Bugs:
Total TBs: 306
Caches w/TBs: 196 (19.6%)
Most TBs: 46
GCKT28 Old Burying Ground

Caches by type:
Traditional Cache: 823 (82.3%)
Multi-Cache: 76 (7.6%)
Virtual Cache: 35 (3.5%)
Letterbox Hybrid: 3 (.3%)
Event Cache: 3 (.3%)
Webcam Cache: 2 (.2%)
Unknown Cache: 53 (5.3%)
Earthcache: 5 (.5%)

Caches by container:
micro: 81 (8.1%)
small: 96 (9.6%)
regular: 716 (71.6%)
large: 6 (.6%)
other: 32 (3.2%)
virtual: 32 (3.2%)
not chosen: 37 (3.7%)

Cache Ratings:
Difficulty:
Minimum: 1
Maximum: 5
Average: 2
Terrain:
Minimum: 1
Maximum: 5
Average: 2.2

Cache Age:
Oldest Cache: 2001-01-02
Youngest Cache: 2006-06-17
Average hidden date: 2004-07-07

WhereRWe?
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
As some of you know, I keep (or used to; I've slacked all Winter) keep stats of Maine caches on my web page. In honor of Maine hitting 1000 active caches, here's the stats!

Um...

I've just archived the WWWWWW2 event cache. Can you recalculate the stats, please?

LOL!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tat
03-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't see any problem with direction of geocaching in Maine. The old timers are still coming up with legendary caches. The new folks are pushing the edge with fresh ideas. There are bad containers, bad camo and trashy places that just don't apeal to all, but there always has been! And, I bet the percentage hasn't changed much.

Maine does have one great advantage: By far, most of the state is interesting, accessable and safe. I've been to places where the only public land is in cemetaries; places where caches are at every light post and burger joint; places where caches are all .12 miles apart; places where you just don't dare go out and look for a cache without a body guard. The few wet caches and Mctoys Maine has is a very minor problem

d’76
03-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Edited because I will admit that I was being an @$$.

d’76
03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Still being an @$$, My apologies

Gob-ler
03-24-2006, 12:02 AM
I for one think that most of you know where I am on this one, several of you may actually understand and grasp what has been said in the past.

As for the question of what "caching in Maine - the way it should be" means, I think the question asked is a fair question.

It is true that all of my caches have not been done here. I have cached in 11 or 12 states and Canada. Caching in most of those places is really no different than it is here with the possible exception of cache density.

What I do see here that you do not generally see elsewhere is a certain feeling or attitude that most everything is right or well here. Let me state again for the record that things are no different here than anywhere else for the most part. In many respects things here do not measure up to other states. The ammo can is starting to get the attention it needs here. With the extremes of weather and temps here they are IMOHO the container of choice. Very very few of the plastic containers I have found cut the mustard. Cracked from the elements, wet inside, lids that no longer go on and seal properly. It is a bigger problem here than elsewhere I have been. Cache maintaince here is another subject that needs to be addressed.

Out caching this week most of the plastic containers are compromised. The exceptions are the lock and locks that Kaching Karen put out in Augusta. Most plastic out there is doomed to failure and along with the failure of the container comes the waste of wet logs and wet mildewed stash.

As I have said before, a nice walk is one thing, but if at the end of the nice walk with the nice view the cache container is lacking it does not speak well of caching in Maine. Hiking the way it should be? Yes, I guess so, but last time I checked the cache needed a container and a log. Stash for me is optional, but most of the caches I have been to really do not have much for the younger crowd. Also, the folks caching here do not seem to trade the way others trade. There is a lot of junk in cache containers. I was alway under the impression that we should always try to leave better than we take.

Here's a list of such junk that I have removed from caches I have done here in the State.

popsicle sticks, candy wrappers, rusted toy cars, mildewed plastics, plastic bottle caps, broken cassette tapes, x rated magazine pictures, broken shoe laces, water soaked and mildewed patches, logs so wet you could not write in them. The list could go on.

I do have a question, what are these bags of bark I find that someone is leaving? A signature item? A joke? A statement? Beats me!

I have also left new log pages and books where needed (I always carry a spare or two with me) and always an extra pencil or two.

As you all know caching is more than taking, it counts what you give back.

I do not think John was putting anyone down, he was just trying to get people to stop and think. His comments were not personal in any way.

As for the personal slant to the last post pointed towards John, I really don't think that type of post is needed here. It borders on a personal attack. Maybe I am wrong with that. If you don't want folks to respond honestly with a fair question then lets just close the discussion.

Some can continue to say it is the "way it should be", but the other side of the coin also has to be looked at. There are many places that things could be greatly improved. It is good that questions are being asked. Would that we would all look honestly at the whole picture. Someone has said it well, "Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees".

As for the concern about where things are going, the increase of micros will surely happen. It is the natural progression of things. It is all the more reason for each of us to be interacting in a positive fashion with people. It's easy to point our finger and make the comments we do. It's something different to be out there putting the "Good" caches out there. Surely there can be honesty in our log entries. Have you ever said "nice cache" or something similar when you were really thinking something else? Maybe we should try and find a way to say that things could have been done in a better way. Food for thought!

If all this exchange causes us to stop and think then maybe it is worth it.

d’76
03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
I have to admit that my comments where a bit abrasive and for that I will apologise and I will delete them. Many of them may have been a bit uncalled for. I agree that many caches may not stand up to my standards either. BUt I would not go and publicly bad mouth them either. MAybe I read to far into your post.

Remember that Someone placed that cache there for a reason. As insignificant as it may have been to us it ment something to them. Whether it was for the numbers or it was for the memories that they may have had. I may have placed a pretty lame cache over the winter to some of the folks however the area is important to me and I would have been rather hurt to hear or see what I saw in the last post while I may have upset you, The folks that own the caches that you speak of may have been hurt aswell.

tat
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things.

One way of improving cache quality in Maine is helping new cachers. I know of cachers that started out with Tupperware that was consumed by the elements and then replaced them with a better container and better hiding. I also know of some that placed a cache and never looked back. I usually put a note in the cache log when something needs attention. I sometimes send an email when privately to save the cacher from felling embarrassed. On the other hand, trying to suggest any advice to the seasoned cacher, like the regulars here, is a like preaching to the choir.

Placing model caches has been suggested before. The reasoning is that if people see ammo boxes, they will think ammo boxes are the way caches are hidden.

A cache rating system has also been discussed. But, it is very hard to encourage the "out of the box" thinking that makes caching fun. And, rating systems can be very negative in other ways.

Replacing log books, trade items and even cache containers is nice, but it is really up to the hider to do maintenance.

Adopting caches from people who are no longer interested in maintenance is another way to improve caching. I have adopted some that were going to be archived.

Does anyone else have ideas on how to improve things?

brdad
03-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things

I agree with your thinking.

The two best ways to maintain and improve quality are communication and setting an example.

Cachers are going to percive what a cache is by the caches they find. If they find a cache made from a beer can under a bush at Burger King, they will think that's what it should be. If they find rarely maintained caches, they will feel it's fine to do the same.

If we don't communicate, especially with the newbies, they have no other idea of what caching is besides what they find.

"The way caching should be" in Maine is more than just a good container and a walk. It's the way we all get along despite our wide diversity of backgrounds and lifestyles because we like caching so much.

I do have a question, what are these bags of bark I find that someone is leaving? A signature item? A joke? A statement? Beats me!

Those belong to Wudeater and Wife, Now known as We3Beans I think. They are Winter fuel assistance packets. Ok, just kidding :D They are a sig item of theirs and they do visit these forums and are nice people. Your curiosity is valid, however, as I don't beleive they mark the bags.

d’76
03-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Replacing log books, trade items and even cache containers is nice, but it is really up to the hider to do maintenance.

Adopting caches from people who are no longer interested in maintenance is another way to improve caching. I have adopted some that were going to be archived.

Terra caching is trying to raise the bar and if you look it only has i think 2 hides in the state. I know it is not very many.

I think that caching is what you make of it. I dont mind finding junk inside because I dont trade. A wet log book from time to time is a bit inconveint but a simple needs maintance post should clear that up and give 10 days if that dont work then send a needs archiving to gps fun. He is very good that if the owners are still active than he will send them a note. If they dont respond than he will archive it and someone can go pick up the litter.

To me if it keeps me outside and I am in good company and have a beer afterwards and enjoy dinner with friends the day was priceless.

Haffy
03-24-2006, 09:48 AM
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread suggesting that the website maybe get some suggestions from all our members in here about putting together a list of 5 or maybe 10 of the better caches out there. A list from micros to virtuals to traditional to best scenic to best hike to best multi,,,, well you get the picture. Maybe Rick can put together a poll and we can add all the categories that we would like to include in it and then add the top 5 or 10 caches to each category.
This way when a new member comes in he can get an idea of where the better caches are in the state and maybe even put them into sub-categories by county or regions of our great state we live in. Just a suggestion , I have seen these lists in other state organizations websites and think that we could do something here as well. What are your thoughts?

Cache Maine
03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
You can't beat a day of caching in Deer Isle/Stonington area. Becket has some outstanding hides in some beautiful places. Anybody else agree?

The G Team
03-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I'll second your statement, Cameo! We had loads of fun doing the caches on the island during the Kayak event. :D

d’76
03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree I liked Beckys caches on the island

Thanks,

Dave

attroll
03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread suggesting that the website maybe get some suggestions from all our members in here about putting together a list of 5 or maybe 10 of the better caches out there. A list from micros to virtuals to traditional to best scenic to best hike to best multi,,,, well you get the picture. Maybe Rick can put together a poll and we can add all the categories that we would like to include in it and then add the top 5 or 10 caches to each category.
This way when a new member comes in he can get an idea of where the better caches are in the state and maybe even put them into sub-categories by county or regions of our great state we live in. Just a suggestion , I have seen these lists in other state organizations websites and think that we could do something here as well. What are your thoughts?
The only way to set up a vote like you saying it to list all 1,000 caches in the state of Maine and let people vote on them to see which one they like best. Wow. I don't have the time to site in front of the computer putting together a voting poll with 1,000 votes options together. I don't know if you can even have a vote with 1,000 options in it.

Gob-ler
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Maybe something to consided would be putting together a list (maybe three or four lists that represent the different parts of the state) that would list 4 or 5 of the different types of caches that would be considered model caches. The types could be Traditional, Micro, Multi, Puzzle etc.

Then these lists could be pinned on this web page someplace prominent so that folks could find them easily here and we could also point folks in the right direction.

The idea that they represent what would be the type of thing to strive for. Then too in a positive fashion we all would have the opportunity to help or teach as the case may be folks that want to learn.

I have to believe that folks will follow a good example if it is set. I know several folks that have been out and changed out cache containers and just doing this made a huge difference in the overall perception of a cache.

Just some thoughts.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe something to consided would be putting together a list (maybe three or four lists that represent the different parts of the state) that would list 4 or 5 of the different types of caches that would be considered model caches. The types could be Traditional, Micro, Multi, Puzzle etc.

Then these lists could be pinned on this web page someplace prominent so that folks could find them easily here and we could also point folks in the right direction.

The idea that they represent what would be the type of thing to strive for. Then too in a positive fashion we all would have the opportunity to help or teach as the case may be folks that want to learn.

I have to believe that folks will follow a good example if it is set. I know several folks that have been out and changed out cache containers and just doing this made a huge difference in the overall perception of a cache.

Just some thoughts.

Who would create this list???? I bet if you and I sat in a room, while we may agree 85% of the time or more but I'm willing bet the other percent we disagree will result in hard feelings and arguments. Now lets throw in 550 plus/minus cachers and come to some kind of concensus....LOL. Great idea if it can be done objectively.

Gob-ler
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I was not thinking or sugesting anyone in particular to draw up the lists. It was just a thought, probably not a very good one.

I withdraw my idea! Maybe we should just leave it as it is and then we will have what we have always had.

Change is not a 4 letter word!

Mainiac1957
03-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I agree with your thinking.

The two best ways to maintain and improve quality are communication and setting an example.

Cachers are going to percive what a cache is by the caches they find. If they find a cache made from a beer can under a bush at Burger King, they will think that's what it should be. If they find rarely maintained caches, they will feel it's fine to do the same.

If we don't communicate, especially with the newbies, they have no other idea of what caching is besides what they find.

"The way caching should be" in Maine is more than just a good container and a walk. It's the way we all get along despite our wide diversity of backgrounds and lifestyles because we like caching so much.
All valid points Dave, thank you.

Those belong to Wudeater and Wife, Now known as We3Beans I think. They are Winter fuel assistance packets. Ok, just kidding :D They are a sig item of theirs and they do visit these forums and are nice people. Your curiosity is valid, however, as I don't beleive they mark the bags.
They are marked as "Wudeater Care Packages" and yes the were their sig items. I expect there will be a new one coming soon.

Slate
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
My sweety and I found our first cache on march 25, a year ago this saturday. At that time there were 650 caches in maine. With the 1000 today thats a 53 % increase in one year. If it continues to grow at that rate we could have 1,500 by this time next year. I'd guess that won't happen, but it would be nice to think it could. Think of all those FTF's. HeHeHe :) :) :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are close to 1500 caches in Maine a year from now. The growth in the number of caches placed has been pretty linear for the past 3 years with and increase of about 50% per year.
March 2002 - 60
March 2003 - 270
March 2004 - 420 +/-
March 2005 - 650 +/-
March 2006 - 1000
I'm sure there will be some lame caches placed in the next year, but there are still lots of great places out there to hide a new cache. I think that we are going to see a lot more puzzle caches and urban micros as the best spots for traditional caches get snatched up.

Haffy
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
The only way to set up a vote like you saying it to list all 1,000 caches in the state of Maine and let people vote on them to see which one they like best. Wow. I don't have the time to site in front of the computer putting together a voting poll with 1,000 votes options together. I don't know if you can even have a vote with 1,000 options in it.

I'm not saying we have to go through all 1000 caches to see which ones we like the best. I'm sure everyone has their favorite cache or 2 that they remember more than others. I was just suggesting that maybe when we have new visitors to our site it would be nice to let them know of a few standouts that they could go to that's all. What's so hard about that?

So I guess I'll start if off with my own list:

My favorite scenic views:
Gimme Shelter GCMT72
Tumbledown Challenge GC67D4

My favorite multi challenge:
Halfmile GCH21C
Thornehead Challenge GCGZHC

My favorite Puzzle cache:
I dont have one ,did I say I HATE PUZZLES...lol:D

Favorite Micro:
Alexanders Challenge GCPMAW
Any of Laughing Terry's "Right in Plain Sight" micro's

Ok that's just a start but you get the idea.There a lots more categories as well but this is just to get things going. I haven't seen probably half of what the state has to offer but I have been pretty much all over the state at one time or another. These are just a drop in the bucket so if you have your favorites let's hear about them and maybe we can start a list at some point. IF not then oh well at least I gave it a shot.......

WhereRWe?
03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I was just suggesting that maybe when we have new visitors to our site it would be nice to let them know of a few standouts that they could go to that's all. What's so hard about that?

I hate to see list of "favorite caches". If you asemble 10 people, you'll get 10 "favorite caches". I remember one cacher who got highly uptight when I dumped on him for saying that the FAMOUS cache at Wendy's in Newport was one of his favorites. To me, a micro-in-a-lightpost isn't a cache, although I'll log them along with everyone else. But - to take it to the extreme - I'd be embarassed to advertise a micro-in-a-lightpost as one of Maine's best caches.

If anyone wants to express their OPINION as to their favorite caches, that's one thing. But I hate to see a "list" being developed.

(HEy - just my 2 cents worth...)

:D :D

tat
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I like the idea of a "Best Of Maine" list of caches with a lot of categories. I used one in LA to find the "Best caches in LA". It did help me find some great caches but, the ones I liked best, never made the list. Still, it seemed to do little if anything to improve the quality of caches.

Perhaps another way would be to conduct a survey to find out what cachers really want. It would be especially helpful if we could get "newbies" involved. And, rather than send an annoying mass email, we could distribute the survey in caches. I bet it would not take long for the regulars here to distribute a questionnaire to nearly every cache in Maine!

This might get everyone thinking about quality, and maybe even get a few newbies informed about this site.

WhereRWe?
03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
I like the idea of a "Best Of Maine" list of caches with a lot of categories.

Yeah, but who are we going to "elect" to decide what is the "Best of Maine"???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

d’76
03-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but who are we going to "elect" to decide what is the "Best of Maine"???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Brads got time have him do it

Yeehawma
03-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Another category- best cache for physically challenged individuals or those with physical limitations.
I welcome suggestions, especially in the western mountains area. You can email me personally.
Without rambling on in detail, I want to say that my experience caching in Maine last Oct gave me a totally new outlook for the "dreaded urban micros" as I used to call them. While they are still not my cup of tea, I have a new respect for them and those who hunt them. I take back all the bad things I ever said about the magnetic key holder on a lamppost.
After reading the postings in this thread, I encourage you all to remember that "the way caching should be" is and always will be different for each individual. Don't be too quick to criticize a cache, just because it isn't what you like. You all have a good thing going on up there - don't be too hard on each other!

Hiram357
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Don't worry, I'll take it from here... I'll decide the best caches in maine!!

lets see, Shawmut fishing hole, Fort Halifax, Winslow running trails, Waterville boat launch, Benedicts Landing, and Messalonskee mishap :D:D:D:D

GeoMaine
03-25-2006, 05:01 AM
Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved. The only folks that I think would be even REMOTELY eligible to run around and name the top 100 caches would be the 500+ people that have literally done EVERY SINGLE cache in Maine, including the non-existent new one that might come out tomorrow...

Wait, that's NO ONE, never mind 500.

Personally, I would be very VERY displeased if one of my caches hit a so-called official ‘geocachingmaine’ top 100 list. I would immediately insist on its removal because if there is anything that I am not, it's an elitist. Somewhere out there is another 100 caches that are still better than mine but that certain someone with the ‘power’ to vote didn’t even bother to cache any of them in the first place.

Having a group of 20 people that are the only regulars on a small website speak for the entire geocaching community in Maine ABOUT ANYTHING geocaching related is not only hurtful, it's absurd. Just because one may have more posts than 95% of the 100 people that actually come to this website DOESN'T give them more of a voice, only a louder one. Quite frankly, sometimes with some of the posts that I read on here? It’s in a very ugly, very loud voice. I have seen time and time again where someone says something they know they shouldn’t have said, something very juvenile, only to apologize later and delete their post. Personally, I think that any forum subject or post that is directed at any one single geocacher needs to be removed, no matter what it may or may not be about, good or bad. Save that sort of thing for a chat room or better still, a private e-mail between two individuals. An example would be to have a simple online list of accomplishments (100th FTF, 400th find, etc etc) and be done with it. A public discussion about either is not remotely neccessary. We all have opinions, no need to hash them out here!

If you don’t think that there are other geocaching clubs across the country that are sitting back and literally laughing at our website and our ‘organization’ then think again. Some of the things I read out here flat out embarrass me as a Maine geocacher!

It would be great to see this website acquire a better sense of community rather than the clique it surely has become. Perhaps better still, model itself more after it’s ‘parent’ site, geocaching.com itself. An injection of professionalism on this site would stand out as well.

On geocaching.com, you will never find a cache approver (or worthy charter member) speaking ill of ANY cache in a public forum, you will never find the owners of groundspeak speaking publicly for or against any one geocacher over another. Those people that formed this site need to hold themselves to the same standard as their counterparts in groundspeak.com - it's really that simple, or remove the 'Maine' part from this club and just call it for what it is. A few gecoachers that only get along with each other.

Sadly, there has even been talk of another geocaching club starting up in Maine for these very reasons and sincerely, that is not only a shame since we technically already have such a club (geocachingmaine.org) but that such an idea has even had to have been discussed.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Exactly what is "the way caching should be" I would think it means a nice trail walk ending in a beautiful ocean view with a good dry container filled with decient stach. When is the last time anyone found that???
Most Maine hunts that I have been on are a so so trail at best, with,a leaky gladware container filled with reject McToys.
I've cached here now for a year, and unless we take our grandkids with us, who don't mind taking some of the "treasure", I have never found a cache worth trading in. (Except Gobblers and Rumblebees Christmas caches) More than half of the caches we have found sould be archived because of the crappy containers, the trash in them, or the lousy trail. I've been on some pretty lousy "pole line" hunts, and other crappy walks.
Maine, as much as any other state, has the potential of nice trail walks, and great views. But be honest, what percentage of finds really have those. I like a nice trail hike as much as the next guy, especially if it takes you somewhere special, I just dont see that many Maine caches that are what I would consider "the way caching should be".
As an adult, caches filled with junk don't do anything for me. I'll take a challenging micro hunt over that any day of the week.
I say bring on the micros, bring on the challenges, keep the trail walks, keep the scienic views, just get rid of the junk and crappy containers.
Just my thoughts, John

I understand where you are coming from, but I've found just the opposite. Most of the caches that I have found have been good. Yes, sometimes there is the occasional cache where I wonder why the cacher placed it there, occasionally there is a container that is in disrepair and usually I don't end up trading anything (which is why I created GCQZYQ and why I will be doing another one similar to this at some point -- I have an older "palm pilot" -- a Handspring actually -- that I intend to place in that one along with other items valued at $5 or more), but most caches (even the quick ones) have brought me to a neat place with historical significance or a nice vista (albeit not all ocean views -- although Becket's caches on Deer Isle are nothing short of incredible.) I don't know if Maine's got a corner on caching . . . but I have to say that most of the ones I've done I've enjoyed.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 07:42 AM
I for one think that most of you know where I am on this one, several of you may actually understand and grasp what has been said in the past.

As for the question of what "caching in Maine - the way it should be" means, I think the question asked is a fair question.

It is true that all of my caches have not been done here. I have cached in 11 or 12 states and Canada. Caching in most of those places is really no different than it is here with the possible exception of cache density.

What I do see here that you do not generally see elsewhere is a certain feeling or attitude that most everything is right or well here. Let me state again for the record that things are no different here than anywhere else for the most part. In many respects things here do not measure up to other states. The ammo can is starting to get the attention it needs here. With the extremes of weather and temps here they are IMOHO the container of choice. Very very few of the plastic containers I have found cut the mustard. Cracked from the elements, wet inside, lids that no longer go on and seal properly. It is a bigger problem here than elsewhere I have been. Cache maintaince here is another subject that needs to be addressed.

Out caching this week most of the plastic containers are compromised. The exceptions are the lock and locks that Kaching Karen put out in Augusta. Most plastic out there is doomed to failure and along with the failure of the container comes the waste of wet logs and wet mildewed stash.

As I have said before, a nice walk is one thing, but if at the end of the nice walk with the nice view the cache container is lacking it does not speak well of caching in Maine. Hiking the way it should be? Yes, I guess so, but last time I checked the cache needed a container and a log. Stash for me is optional, but most of the caches I have been to really do not have much for the younger crowd. Also, the folks caching here do not seem to trade the way others trade. There is a lot of junk in cache containers. I was alway under the impression that we should always try to leave better than we take.

Here's a list of such junk that I have removed from caches I have done here in the State.

popsicle sticks, candy wrappers, rusted toy cars, mildewed plastics, plastic bottle caps, broken cassette tapes, x rated magazine pictures, broken shoe laces, water soaked and mildewed patches, logs so wet you could not write in them. The list could go on.

I have also left new log pages and books where needed (I always carry a spare or two with me) and always an extra pencil or two.

As you all know caching is more than taking, it counts what you give back.

I do not think John was putting anyone down, he was just trying to get people to stop and think. His comments were not personal in any way.

As for the personal slant to the last post pointed towards John, I really don't think that type of post is needed here. It borders on a personal attack. Maybe I am wrong with that. If you don't want folks to respond honestly with a fair question then lets just close the discussion.

Some can continue to say it is the "way it should be", but the other side of the coin also has to be looked at. There are many places that things could be greatly improved. It is good that questions are being asked. Would that we would all look honestly at the whole picture. Someone has said it well, "Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees".

As for the concern about where things are going, the increase of micros will surely happen. It is the natural progression of things. It is all the more reason for each of us to be interacting in a positive fashion with people. It's easy to point our finger and make the comments we do. It's something different to be out there putting the "Good" caches out there. Surely there can be honesty in our log entries. Have you ever said "nice cache" or something similar when you were really thinking something else? Maybe we should try and find a way to say that things could have been done in a better way. Food for thought!

If all this exchange causes us to stop and think then maybe it is worth it.

Gotta agree with you on the plastic containers . . . which is why I often elect not to leave my signature item in plastic containers unless I'm pretty sure someone will be there in the next few days (i.e. new cache) since I figure I put quite a bit of time in my signature items and don't want to risk them getting soaking wet. This is also why I have used ammo cans exclusively so far. I do think you are right though . . . people seem to be trying to use better containers, especially when pointed in the right direction as to what works and what does not work for caching.

I also agree with you on the trash in the cache. When I trade I always try to make an equal trade or put something in that is more valuable . . . and oftentimes I'll put something in without taking anything.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Regardless of how great caching is in Maine, we can improve things.

One way of improving cache quality in Maine is helping new cachers. I know of cachers that started out with Tupperware that was consumed by the elements and then replaced them with a better container and better hiding. I also know of some that placed a cache and never looked back. I usually put a note in the cache log when something needs attention. I sometimes send an email when privately to save the cacher from felling embarrassed. On the other hand, trying to suggest any advice to the seasoned cacher, like the regulars here, is a like preaching to the choir.

Placing model caches has been suggested before. The reasoning is that if people see ammo boxes, they will think ammo boxes are the way caches are hidden.

A cache rating system has also been discussed. But, it is very hard to encourage the "out of the box" thinking that makes caching fun. And, rating systems can be very negative in other ways.

I agree 100% with everything listed here. . . . especially the part about setting the example with the proper containers and maintaining them.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 07:48 AM
You can't beat a day of caching in Deer Isle/Stonington area. Becket has some outstanding hides in some beautiful places. Anybody else agree?

A day spent caching there is a day well spent. One of my best days of caching was when I headed down the coast and did some caches on Sear's Island in Searsport where I met my first cacher -- who happened to be Becket -- and then I spent the rest of the day doing her caches on that incredibly beautiful island.

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some "suggested" caches listed out by geographical regions (i.e. Southern Maine, Mid-Coast, Western Mountains, The County, Downeast or even by County . . . including metropolitan areas -- i.e. Portland, Bath, Waterville, Lewiston-Auburn, Bangor, Caribou, etc.) and cache type (i.e. micro, puzzle, traditional, etc.)

I, for one, wouldn't be offended if my caches were or were not included on the list since anyone could at any time log on to geocaching.com and do their own search and find all of the caches in the area. Instead, I would view a potential list as a visitor or first-timer who would want to do some caches recommended by other cachers. For example, I don't make my way into the Western Foothills of Maine very often, but if I was to pass through that area I would love to know (if I had a limited amount of time) what caches are really worth going to . . . even if it is another person's (or persons') opinion. I may not agree with that opinion, but I suspect that there would be a general consensus of opinion on some of the top suggested picks.

As for who should put together this list . . . I would say someone here could create some categories and then members could list out some of their picks for those categories and in a final round members could vote. The folks here may not represent all of Maine's geocaching community, but I suspect they represent a fair cross-section of newbies-veterans and from all over Maine. And personally, I wouldn't be affronted if someone did or didn't like my suggestions.

tat
03-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved.

One select group would certainly wrong. But, there is someone who has found all of the caches in Maine! It is all of us! Together, we have found all of the caches in Maine. The problem is: How do we get everyone involved. The fewer cachers involved, the more cliquish this project would become. That surely is a danger.

Another problem is the elitist nature of such a contest. Geocaching is a non-competitive sport. As a sport, it is possible to be the best. But, since it is non-competitive, "best" can only have meaning in terms of sportsmanship. One key element of a contest has to be a large number of categories, maybe more than number of caches! We need to focus only on what we like about the cache. Ideally, every cache would be best in some category. A category for "Best place to get eaten alive by mosquitoes" might be the last place you want to go, but exactly what a visiting entomologist is looking for.

Nominating your own cache should be encouraged. Perhaps the hider is the only one who knows exactly what is special about that cache. Also, the entries should have the permission of the cache owner, to prevent any misunderstandings.

Finally, the more discussion we have with other groups that have already held contests, the better this project would be. This has to be very well thought out or not done at all.

d’76
03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Personally, I think that one select group of people coming up with the 'Best caches in Maine' would be a huge error and greatly damaging to all involved. The only folks that I think would be even REMOTELY eligible to run around and name the top 100 caches would be the 500+ people that have literally done EVERY SINGLE cache in Maine, including the non-existent new one that might come out tomorrow...

Personally, I would be very VERY displeased if one of my caches hit a so-called official ‘geocachingmaine’ top 100 list. I would immediately insist on its removal because if there is anything that I am not, it's an elitist. Somewhere out there is another 100 caches that are still better than mine but that certain someone with the ‘power’ to vote didn’t even bother to cache any of them in the first place.

Having a group of 20 people that are the only regulars on a small website speak for the entire geocaching community in Maine ABOUT ANYTHING geocaching related is not only hurtful, it's absurd. Just because one may have more posts than 95% of the 100 people that actually come to this website DOESN'T give them more of a voice, only a louder one. Quite frankly, sometimes with some of the posts that I read on here? It’s in a very ugly, very loud voice. I have seen time and time again where someone says something they know they shouldn’t have said, something very juvenile, only to apologize later and delete their post. Personally, I think that any forum subject or post that is directed at any one single geocacher needs to be removed, no matter what it may or may not be about, good or bad. Save that sort of thing for a chat room or better still, a private e-mail between two individuals. An example would be to have a simple online list of accomplishments (100th FTF, 400th find, etc etc) and be done with it. A public discussion about either is not remotely neccessary. We all have opinions, no need to hash them out here!

If you don’t think that there are other geocaching clubs across the country that are sitting back and literally laughing at our website and our ‘organization’ then think again. Some of the things I read out here flat out embarrass me as a Maine geocacher!

It would be great to see this website acquire a better sense of community rather than the clique it surely has become. Perhaps better still, model itself more after it’s ‘parent’ site, geocaching.com itself. An injection of professionalism on this site would stand out as well.

On geocaching.com, you will never find a cache approver (or worthy charter member) speaking ill of ANY cache in a public forum, you will never find the owners of groundspeak speaking publicly for or against any one geocacher over another. Those people that formed this site need to hold themselves to the same standard as their counterparts in groundspeak.com - it's really that simple, or remove the 'Maine' part from this club and just call it for what it is. A few gecoachers that only get along with each other.

Sadly, there has even been talk of another geocaching club starting up in Maine for these very reasons and sincerely, that is not only a shame since we technically already have such a club (geocachingmaine.org) but that such an idea has even had to have been discussed.

What are you talking about??? I mean any of this

We are a very pasionate group who disagree from time to time. Where are you going to go where everything is fluffy bunnies? Have you ever been to the forumns in GC.com. They bad mouth everything. We all have our own opinions and from time to time they are strong and people get upset. That is what is called reallity. THere isn't anyone here that wouldnt be willing to drive and drive to help someone else in a pinch. These are some of the best people you will ever meet. You read post from the ones that have more most well because they are the ones actively involved in this web page. And we often look for way to make caching better.

I guess if I was embarrassed to be a geocachinginmaine meber, UHHHMM. Well lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.

Alot of work goes into this website and It seems only this week have we run into a few snags to speak of and I think they where cleared up.

Cache Maine
03-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Well lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.

Let's not bring the F word into it. :eek: :D :p :)

http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/whiteexpy.jpg

WhereRWe?
03-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Where are you going to go where everything is fluffy bunnies?

Wow! Is there such a place? Is there a cache there? Do you have coordinates? :D :D :D

d’76
03-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Wow! Is there such a place? Is there a cache there? Do you have coordinates? :D :D :D

Try here N71 05.376 W8 13.344

Jan Mayen that sounds like a great place for a cache

d’76
03-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Haffy
03-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Boy Geomaine, where have you been all these years anyway? You saying all is just hunky dory in the GC.com forums is a joke. There is more flaming going in that forum than any forum I have ever been involved with. I guess you don't read very much there.

As far as this forum goes, sure we have our moments but I can reassure you that in the end we are all good friends and there is nothing better than having a good one on one with another cacher once in while, it's good for the soul. and it the end we always make up and we are all together as one.

I never thought for one instant that suggesting some of our better caches to Newbies or Visitors would end up being such a hot topic. Geeze man give it a break will yah and get out and smell those lupines.:D :D :D

Hoamdezinahs
03-25-2006, 09:42 AM
[quote=dave1976]
IWell lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.
Would you be embarrassed to drive this FORD. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/attach/bmp.gif

d’76
03-25-2006, 09:48 AM
[quote=dave1976]
IWell lets say if I was embarrassed to be seen in a ford I wouldnt be seen in one.
Would you be embarrassed to drive this FORD. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/attach/bmp.gif

Yah I like the new MUstangs, Hard to do rural caches in one of those though LOL:D

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Warning: This is one of those "may be insulting to others" type of posts "that will not be deleted" So if you don't like it... DON'T READ IT! and if you read it and tell me your offended by it, well that there is just more proof that you're a fool and you watch too much T.V.

Well first off no one is forcing you to sit here and read our forums. We apologize sincerely for being freindly and having discussions, arguments, and silly absurd enjoyable moments. We will immediately break off all freindships and conduct ourselves in a more civilized manner. We'll try to be more elit... uhh proffesional about geocaching, as I type this I am currently having uniforms made up for everyone to wear while geocaching so people will know that we are serious about geocaching. And if a list is made of favorite caches by geocaching.org members so what, it's a list of our favorites caches by our active members for reference by people that would be looking for enjoyable caches. If you assume that when reading that list, that those poeple who made it are lords of geocaching and know everything there is to know about geocaching and so therefor the list of favorite maine geocaches is infalable and all of those caches are in fact maines best, then you know what... THAT'S YOUR FAULT FOR BEING *removed*, NOT OURS. A list is what it is, it's like watching the news or reading the newspaper, do you believe everything you see and hear?? no, you take the information for what it is and form your own opions about it.
And also I think that the proffesionalism of geocaching is insulting, geocaching is a fun family sport for kids to run and have fun and parents to play with techno toys, not have the kids march in single file line down the trail. GC.Com is a proffesional looking website because that's what it needs to be, user friendly and proffesional looking, no one would take a group that large seriously if it was an angelfire site with a long list of misspelled caches on it.
So in closing sit back, relax, find a few caches.

d’76
03-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 10:44 AM
As far as this forum goes, sure we have our moments but I can reassure you that in the end we are all good friends and there is nothing better than having a good one on one with another cacher once in while, it's good for the soul. and it the end we always make up and we are all together as one.

I agree, when I started caching I was reading the GC.Com forums, but I thought it was too large, too many people trying to make their own opions. I like this website because there's a constant group of people, there are those that join and stay, and those that join and leave. But I like the ones that have joined and stayed because they all have something in common, 1. that they all have their own opionion 2. they understand that others have opionions and 3. after the bloody noses and black eyes we're all still friends, but we're friends with a wider perspective thanks to the other people that helped to open our eyes. This is a great forum with good people.:D:D:D

and for those of you that are having trouble with the concept of what this thread is turning into....

Forum:
n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.

# A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

Elitist
e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Community
n. pl. com·mu·ni·ties

1. The district or locality in which such a group lives.

1. A group of people having common interests: the scientific community; the international business community.
2. A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society: the community of color.
1. Similarity or identity: a community of interests.
2. Sharing, participation, and fellowship.

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

where would you build a fire in a kyak??? and if they were eskimos wouldn't the kyak be frozen in the water?? and why don't they just buy a boat with heat already in it?? and if they were "out on a lake" where would they get the wood to build a fire??

Geeze dave, you should really think before you go around saying stupid stuff like that! :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

steverph
03-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Maine's 1000th Geocache but my first hide! Thanks for letting me know.

I was excited to accidently be part of a milestone for Maine geocaching when I first started reading this thread, but I am concerned about the posts that follow. Since I have 5 minutes of fame I am going to seize the moment. Here are my feelings about the sport and this site.

I got involved in caching as another way to enjoy the outdoors and play with toys (GPSr). I had only done a few local caches when I went to the 2005 WWWWWW event in Winslow and met some of you. I never became obsessed with the numbers but rather have enjoyed visiting new places and the challenge of finding a well hidden cache. Most of my finds are local but I have been to some nearby places I would have otherwise never seen. I stopped trading items early on as that part of the game does not interest me and I think finding the treasures should be left for the kids.

As a casual participant I delayed placing my first cache until I was sure I would commit to maintaining it for a few years and I found a spot nearby where I could check it easily. Most importantly, I wanted to put it in a place that people would enjoy visiting. I selected a quality container because I have found some cracked plastic boxes with wet contents. I called the Town office and got permission to place the cache. They agreed because they thought people that do geocaching are the kind of people they want to visit the park. No joke, that's what I was told. Coincidently, there was a wire service story about caching in the local paper that day.

Now, about this website. I visit every week or two to catch up on what is happening. I have been troubled by the tone of many posts and how some threads take a left turn into ranting about cache quality, placement and trade items. Although much of this is true, the way it is presented is unfortunate. I don't understand what can be gained by posting stuff like this. I am very disappointed that my five minutes of fame from accidently placing the 1000th cache has a thread that turned left. I agree with others that feel this tone turns people off and I am worried about how first time visitors perceive Maine cachers.

It is not all negative! I have learned much about caching on this site. The Geocoin project was a huge success and I bought 5 for myself. (Another stroke of luck got me coin #9 in the lottery.) I am heading to Georgia in a couple of weeks and hope to leave one in a cache there. Organizing the events on this site seems very successful and the concern some of you displayed for the family that went to this year's WWWWW and felt excluded was admirable. Everyone also seems eager to celebrate individual milestones, birthdays and to welcome new visitors.

I believe that poor quality caches are placed by well meaning people who want to get involved in a new hobby but don't have the experience to make good choices. Instead of ranting about bad caches, perhaps some informational material about quality containers, site selection and trade items could be permanently placed in a prominent area on the site. Perhaps making a practice of always contacting the owner of a cache requiring maintenance should be considered. I would like to see a list of great Maine caches permanently displayed but don't want to make a contest out of selecting them. After all, this site is maintained and supported by a relatively small group of savy cachers who could develop a list. Or, a group of you pick 5 in each category and do a poll. It's your site, make the list.

I think caching is a way to have some fun outdoors. Some of you take it way more seriously than I do but you are also the folks who have placed the really great caches and organized the events. You should celebrate the success you have brought to an "unorganized" sport. If you want to get new folks excited and involved in Maine caching, keep the tone positive. Don't forget, this site is more than a place for a small group to exchange stories about beer, the price of gas and snowmobiling. Those are all great subjects worthy or hours of discussion but this site is the "unofficial" home Geocaching in Maine. You put it on the coin! Stay on topic and stay positive. There are folks all over the world visiting this site and expecting to read about caching. I have seen a few posts by folks from away who are coming to the state looking for advice on what caches to visit. Although you all jump in to help, it sometimes seems like those posts interrupt some of the strange threads that get started.

The biggest geocaching thrill I have yet had is when I read this part of a post by J & D Moore after they found the Pleasant Point Park cache: "My 4 y.o. son found this first, he was nothing but smiles."

Okay, so I took more than my 5 minutes and I guess I put "Geocaching According to Steve" all in one post. Take it for what it is worth and keep it positive. Now, I have 5 new local caches to find!

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 11:01 AM
That's a good point that has been brought up in just about every "rant about caching thread" Caches are special to everyone, a 4yr who finds a McToy that was hidden just for him to find is probably the happiest kid on the face of the planet at that time, likewise there was a cache that people were ranting about that was too easy and in a poor location, then someone brought up the fact that the cache was hidden by a child, probably a very excited child that was having the time of his life hiding a treasure for others to find. Just because we might not get a thrill out of a cache, someone somewhere else is having the time of their life seeing who has visited their buried treasure. everyone just has too keep in mind that geocaching is a family sport and that there are lots of diffrent people that participate, not everyone is a mountain climbing indiana jones, there are kids, and people in wheelchairs, and elderly people that love geocaching just as much as we do.

And don't worry steve, you can put a spin on it and consider yourself a conversation centerpeice! :D

and i still like you (even though i was going to hide a cache at that park next week :p )

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 11:02 AM
okay, i've spent enough time in front of the computer on a sat morning, i'm going caching. :D

Cache Maine
03-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Please refrain from name calling. This is a family forum and it needs to stay that way.

Haffy
03-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Hmmm, guess I must have missed the name calling and I'm glad I did. Now in closing this thread I would just like to reiterate one simple thing that I stated earlier in the thread. All I wanted to accomplish was a way for new members and any other visitors to this website to have a way if at all possible,some suggestions as to the better caches that we have here in the state. That's all there was to it and some people just had to put their 2 cents in and make a mountain out of a mole hill. We have a great site here with great people with a great diversity of personalities and hopefully it will stay this way. I just want to thank all of you who have contributed to this thread, be it good or bad. There are many ways to approach getting some helpful information to others as to where to find good caches and I guess making a list is the wrong way to go. So whatever way is decided to do this , it is ok with me. Peace and good will to all men.............................:D

tat
03-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Nearly everyone who responded to this post owes you and Ye Olde Prospector an apology. We don't mean to hijack posts, it just happens. Often, we forget that this is a forum and start to talk very informally. That usually leads us off track. We are not alone. In fact, I think you could go to almost any forum and find out that threads diverge from the topic in about 8 threads or less. That does not make it right and I hope we can all respect the thread originator. We certainly should have created a new topic long ago. Please enjoy your 5 minutes of fame, you deserve it!

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Maine's 1000th Geocache but my first hide! Thanks for letting me know.

I was excited to accidently be part of a milestone for Maine geocaching when I first started reading this thread, but I am concerned about the posts that follow. Since I have 5 minutes of fame I am going to seize the moment. Here are my feelings about the sport and this site.

I got involved in caching as another way to enjoy the outdoors and play with toys (GPSr). I had only done a few local caches when I went to the 2005 WWWWWW event in Winslow and met some of you. I never became obsessed with the numbers but rather have enjoyed visiting new places and the challenge of finding a well hidden cache. Most of my finds are local but I have been to some nearby places I would have otherwise never seen. I stopped trading items early on as that part of the game does not interest me and I think finding the treasures should be left for the kids.

As a casual participant I delayed placing my first cache until I was sure I would commit to maintaining it for a few years and I found a spot nearby where I could check it easily. Most importantly, I wanted to put it in a place that people would enjoy visiting. I selected a quality container because I have found some cracked plastic boxes with wet contents. I called the Town office and got permission to place the cache. They agreed because they thought people that do geocaching are the kind of people they want to visit the park. No joke, that's what I was told. Coincidently, there was a wire service story about caching in the local paper that day.

Now, about this website. I visit every week or two to catch up on what is happening. I have been troubled by the tone of many posts and how some threads take a left turn into ranting about cache quality, placement and trade items. Although much of this is true, the way it is presented is unfortunate. I don't understand what can be gained by posting stuff like this. I am very disappointed that my five minutes of fame from accidently placing the 1000th cache has a thread that turned left. I agree with others that feel this tone turns people off and I am worried about how first time visitors perceive Maine cachers.

It is not all negative! I have learned much about caching on this site. The Geocoin project was a huge success and I bought 5 for myself. (Another stroke of luck got me coin #9 in the lottery.) I am heading to Georgia in a couple of weeks and hope to leave one in a cache there. Organizing the events on this site seems very successful and the concern some of you displayed for the family that went to this year's WWWWW and felt excluded was admirable. Everyone also seems eager to celebrate individual milestones, birthdays and to welcome new visitors.

I believe that poor quality caches are placed by well meaning people who want to get involved in a new hobby but don't have the experience to make good choices. Instead of ranting about bad caches, perhaps some informational material about quality containers, site selection and trade items could be permanently placed in a prominent area on the site. Perhaps making a practice of always contacting the owner of a cache requiring maintenance should be considered. I would like to see a list of great Maine caches permanently displayed but don't want to make a contest out of selecting them. After all, this site is maintained and supported by a relatively small group of savy cachers who could develop a list. Or, a group of you pick 5 in each category and do a poll. It's your site, make the list.

I think caching is a way to have some fun outdoors. Some of you take it way more seriously than I do but you are also the folks who have placed the really great caches and organized the events. You should celebrate the success you have brought to an "unorganized" sport. If you want to get new folks excited and involved in Maine caching, keep the tone positive. Don't forget, this site is more than a place for a small group to exchange stories about beer, the price of gas and snowmobiling. Those are all great subjects worthy or hours of discussion but this site is the "unofficial" home Geocaching in Maine. You put it on the coin! Stay on topic and stay positive. There are folks all over the world visiting this site and expecting to read about caching. I have seen a few posts by folks from away who are coming to the state looking for advice on what caches to visit. Although you all jump in to help, it sometimes seems like those posts interrupt some of the strange threads that get started.

The biggest geocaching thrill I have yet had is when I read this part of a post by J & D Moore after they found the Pleasant Point Park cache: "My 4 y.o. son found this first, he was nothing but smiles."

Okay, so I took more than my 5 minutes and I guess I put "Geocaching According to Steve" all in one post. Take it for what it is worth and keep it positive. Now, I have 5 new local caches to find!

Excellent post Steve . . . and incidentally, before I forget, if no one ever officially welcomed you here . . . welcome. I like your attitude and think you'll be a fine addition and a great representative to geocaching.

Much like you I got into geocaching tentatively at first . . . it was more or less a way for me to justify spending the money on an electronic device that would help me from getting lost while ATVing. However, in no time I found that I really enjoyed seeing new places and getting outdoors.

Like you I waited before I did my first hide. I saw what worked and what didn't for containers. I saw what some people left behind in the caches and figured out what would be good to leave and what would be a bad idea. I read the geocaching.com forum threads and read their guidelines and after deciding that I would be doing this for the long haul hid my first cache.

I will say that I haven't completely given up on finding that trade item that I just have to own and in fact DeerHunter once left a glass cat knickknack that did nothing for me . . . but my wife loved. For this reason I still carry in my backpack full of goodies just in case. . . . However, I most often take nothing (or take a signature item) and leave a signature item and/or a small item like a fire safety carabiner, patch, etc.

I think permanently posting some guidelines . . . a FAQ section on hiding your first cache for example with info on good containers vs. bad containers and why, items to place and not place in containers and why, etc. would be a great informative guide. Moreover, for newbies, helpful advice could also be pinned here for how to find a guide, other uses for a GPSr, etc.

I also agree with you . . . discussion is good, but the tone that the conversations have taken here lately has been quite abrasive. I've noticed some folks in other forums are tense as well, but I'm not sure why. In some folks' defense . . . sometimes words on a computer screen cannot convey folks' real feelings and intent . . .

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:26 PM
That's a good point that has been brought up in just about every "rant about caching thread" Caches are special to everyone, a 4yr who finds a McToy that was hidden just for him to find is probably the happiest kid on the face of the planet at that time, likewise there was a cache that people were ranting about that was too easy and in a poor location, then someone brought up the fact that the cache was hidden by a child, probably a very excited child that was having the time of his life hiding a treasure for others to find. Just because we might not get a thrill out of a cache, someone somewhere else is having the time of their life seeing who has visited their buried treasure. everyone just has too keep in mind that geocaching is a family sport and that there are lots of diffrent people that participate, not everyone is a mountain climbing indiana jones, there are kids, and people in wheelchairs, and elderly people that love geocaching just as much as we do.

Wise words of wisdom from Hiram . . . surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse. :D

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:29 PM
and i still like you (even though i was going to hide a cache at that park next week :p )

You snooze and you lose . . . this has happened twice with me . . . the nice thing however is that it means you get to find the cache (not that numbers really matter, though!)

WhereRWe?
03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Wise words of wisdom from Hiram . . . surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse. :D

There's an old saying in Latin: In Vino, Veritas (http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/invinoverita.html)

:D :D :D

brdad
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Please refrain from name calling. This is a family forum and it needs to stay that way.

That's right! Stop being so immature you bunch of poopyheads!

:D (Humorous post):D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-25-2006, 07:52 PM
That's right! Stop being so immature you bunch of poopyheads!

:D (Humorous post):D

Who are you calling a poopyhead, poopyhead?;)

attroll
03-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Yes we need to keep posts on friendly level. If foul language is used then it will be edited out as it has been done in the past and will continue to be done. Remember this is a G rated web site, young kids and children log onto this site on occasion. We have never set any ground rules here because we have all been pretty level headed. So lets all stay level headed in our posts.

WhereRWe?
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
So lets all stay level headed in our posts.

Sheesh! Poopy Head, Level Head... Hard to keep them all straight! :p :p

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes we need to keep posts on friendly level. If foul language is used then it will be edited out as it has been done in the past and will continue to be done. Remember this is a G rated web site, young kids and children log onto this site on occasion. We have never set any ground rules here because we have all been pretty level headed. So lets all stay level headed in our posts.

OK, I think I figured out who the poopyhead is....LOL.....:D !!!

Team2hunt
03-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I will admit and most of you will agree, that from time to time we get a little crazy. But I have met and cached with almost everyone who visits here. The Team has not met a cacher or a cache we didn't like. You just gotta meet us all sometime. Come and join us at an event. Hope to meet ALL of the cachers in Maine sooner or later.

DiverDave1998
03-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Did I tell you that I grew up just downthe road from this cache and the building on the right was a lil store for the camp grounds that was there.

steverph
03-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Did I tell you that I grew up just downthe road from this cache and the building on the right was a lil store for the camp grounds that was there.
Some of the posts of the local cachers visiting Pleasant Point have mentioned visiting here in years past. My family had some get togethers here as well and they were always good times. I am glad the site did not end up as house lots. Kudos to the former owners and the Town of Oakland for keeping it accessable to all of us. Thanks for visiting the cache and sharing the info.

Hiram357
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
if i'm not mistaking i also thinks that's the only public accsess point on the lake is it not?

steverph
03-27-2006, 08:44 PM
if i'm not mistaking i also thinks that's the only public accsess point on the lake is it not?

There is a boat launch in North Belgrade but that is technically on Salmon Lake.

y2ksillin
03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Here's an idea about lists that could be useful, but not elitist or exclusive. Look at this link to a bookmark list that Team2Hunt put together describing "short to medium hikes with great views at the top"

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=30d4d615-0aa0-4998-8123-acd872370add

This seems very helpful. It is good advice, with commentary. It isn't anyone's opinion but the Team's, so a viewer could take it or leave it depending on whether they shared the Team's notion of a "short" hike or a "great view."

So here's my suggestion. What if various local cachers began to assemble lists like this? Like, "Great Ocean views" or "best kayak caches" or "best puzzle caches in Bangor" or "my favorite caches for kids". It wouldn't be anyone's opinion but their own, but it could be useful advice. Then, the service this website could offer would be to collect the links to these bookmark lists and make this list of links searchable by tag, like del.icio.us tags. So a visitor could search by "kayak" or "Bangor" or "mountain" or "puzzle" or "easy" and could get a list of users' bookmark lists. They could then browse the lists and get a sense of caches they might like to visit. No one would be arbitrarily ranking these things. Anyone could submit any list of bookmarks, so no one would be left out. A vistor could get a sense of good kayaking caches, for example, by browsing through several people's kayaking lists; if a cache shows up repeatedly, then that might be a sign that the cache is a good one. We could keep things positive by not linking to a bookmark list that was negative (i.e. "junkiest caches in Southern Maine").

What do you think?

Haffy
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Sounds like I gotta start my own bookmark list I guess.....:D

Hiram357
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Here's an idea about lists that could be useful, but not elitist or exclusive. Look at this link to a bookmark list that Team2Hunt put together describing "short to medium hikes with great views at the top"

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=30d4d615-0aa0-4998-8123-acd872370add

This seems very helpful. It is good advice, with commentary. It isn't anyone's opinion but the Team's, so a viewer could take it or leave it depending on whether they shared the Team's notion of a "short" hike or a "great view."

So here's my suggestion. What if various local cachers began to assemble lists like this? Like, "Great Ocean views" or "best kayak caches" or "best puzzle caches in Bangor" or "my favorite caches for kids". It wouldn't be anyone's opinion but their own, but it could be useful advice. Then, the service this website could offer would be to collect the links to these bookmark lists and make this list of links searchable by tag, like del.icio.us tags. So a visitor could search by "kayak" or "Bangor" or "mountain" or "puzzle" or "easy" and could get a list of users' bookmark lists. They could then browse the lists and get a sense of caches they might like to visit. No one would be arbitrarily ranking these things. Anyone could submit any list of bookmarks, so no one would be left out. A vistor could get a sense of good kayaking caches, for example, by browsing through several people's kayaking lists; if a cache shows up repeatedly, then that might be a sign that the cache is a good one. We could keep things positive by not linking to a bookmark list that was negative (i.e. "junkiest caches in Southern Maine").

What do you think?

I think it sounds like a good idea, would someone have to be in charge of it to add caches, or would it be a page everyone can log onto to add their cache?

Team2hunt
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
The Team and Kaching Karen love to hike, short ones anyway. And there are so many caches out there. I decided to make a list of short hikes with great views. We enjoy the area as much as the hunt. Start your own book list today, and be sure to " share " it with us.