View Full Version : Timeliness in logging

Gob-ler
03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I just want to throw this out there. I do have my own opinions, but what I am looking for is some sort of consensus about logging caches.

The question is:

How long should a cacher wait to log their cache relative especially to First to finds?

It appears that sometimes they do not get logged promptly, but there is also the understanding that sometimes caching is done on the way to work or at times when it is not possible or convient to get to a computer.

I try to log my finds as soon as I get to a computer. Often times when I am looking at a new listing you wonder, "has it been done yet?" Often I have been tempted to drag my feet in logging new ones, but the more I think about it maybe it is only fair to log as soon a reasonably possible.

One might save someone a long trip hopeing for a FTF when in fact the cache may have had a signature in the log for hours.

There, I asked the question. What do you think?

Smitty & Co.
03-24-2006, 01:30 PM
I think as soon as humanely possible would be generally accepted. :)

brdad
03-24-2006, 01:35 PM
My opinion is FTFs are a bonus part of the game, and everything that goes along with it. If you want to be FTF bad enough, you take the chance. I have purposely delayed logging FTF on a few caches to keep people guessing. Are you not going to bother to go get the cache if you can't get an FTF on it?

I'd prefer if people were going to log anything promptly, it would be DNFs. At least the owner might have time to check on it if needed then. DNFs are fun, but I'd rather get a DNF on a cache that does exist than one that does not.

team teebow
03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
For those that are not playing for numbers, logging as soon as you can is acceptable. If I were out all day caching and and got very lucky for a FTF in my trip and got back home late in the afternoon, the FTF may not get logged until the next day. If it fell on a Sunday I probably would not log until Monday or Tuesday becasue the GC servers are usually overloaded Sunday and Mondays with everyones else trying to log.

My .02 cents.......

Team Teebow 1

Hoamdezinahs
03-24-2006, 02:06 PM
There are s few FTF nut's out there that will make a run at any or all hours. (No names here). I think that anyone logging a FTF in the middle of the night owes his competition the comon courtesy of logging it on the site that night when they return home, so that their competition doesn't have to waste time or gas running for it the next morning. I admit that I may have been lazy about doing that after a midnight run, but even I admit that would be fair, and from now on will always make sure I do log it upon returning home. John :) :) :)

I'm not addicted to caching, I can quit any time.

attroll
03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
There are s few FTF nut's out there that will make a run at any or all hours. (No names here). I think that anyone logging a FTF in the middle of the night owes his competition the comon courtesy of logging it on the site that night when they return home, so that their competition doesn't have to waste time or gas running for it the next morning. I admit that I may have been lazy about doing that after a midnight run, but even I admit that would be fair, and from now on will always make sure I do log it upon returning home. John :) :) :)

I'm not addicted to caching, I can quit any time.

I agree with this 100%. If someone is going to make this much of an effort then they owe it to everyone to log it the minute they return home.

If someone gets a first to find without planning on it then I think then they log it when they get a chance to just like they would any other cache. But try to make the effort to log it as soon as possible.

WhereRWe?
03-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree with most of the comments, i.e., log the cache AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

I don't mean that you should rush right home and jump on the computer. We often log caches on the way to somewhere else, and we don't log them until we get home at the end of the day. We don't chase FTF's, but if we did get a FTF, it may not get logged for several hours.

Those that do like to chase TF's should realize that if a cache has been out there for more than an hour, it's probably been found.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
03-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I agree with BRDAD. If your caching simple for the FTF's, then part of the challenge is taking the chance on it not being found before you get there. If your caching just to be caching why would it matter when others log there finds? or don't? I've "lost" 2 FTF to cachers who have never logged it into gc.com or even logged an account with gc.com. That did not diminish those caches for me. Nor did I complain or ask the FTF to log the cache. While I like to get FTF's and will often chase after them, I would never be disappointed or consider it "wasting gas" if I ended up being second, third, or fiftieth. Today I drove to Solon thinking I had a chance for a FTF only to find the log signed. I kind of chuckled to myself and congratulated the FTF even though they weren't there to hear me and I explored the place as it was really interesting.

I guess it doesn't matter to me when someone else logs there finds. I think that if those people that are only interested in FTF's are going to be upset that others may delay signing the log then for me that is all the more reason to delay, LOL. Keep 'em guessing i say!

The G Team
03-24-2006, 03:12 PM
We generally try to log in a timely manner, though I forgot to log your WWWWW event, Bruce, and now it's archived--see what happens when you procrastinate?! :eek:

d’76
03-24-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f39b6733-ac26-4e24-ab1d-5b10835d42f5

This was going tobe a great first to find. Was posted over a year with no takers. The guy that logged it two days before we got there never even logged there find on the site.:(

WhereRWe?
03-24-2006, 04:53 PM
We generally try to log in a timely manner, though I forgot to log your WWWWW event, Bruce, and now it's archived--see what happens when you procrastinate?! :eek:

Sheesh! You must be the guy everyone is talking about! LOL!

(Sorry about that - but I think you can still log it if I give you the link (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4d5d10af-c0bd-4bd6-9712-e23c30594579))

Haffy
03-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I say keep em guessing;) I know there are some people who will go out at all hours of the night for a FTF and that someone is not me as I don't like night time caching.Sure I have my share of FTF's , I think maybe 55 as of this post but I won't break my neck getting to them. The one I got yesterday at Pleasant Pond was a surprise to me as it was already 9 am and I figured I would be 2nd or 3rd. I did get pissed off so to speak a year or so ago when I took a special trip down to Augusta for a FTF and find out that it had been found the PREVIOUS day but not logged, but hey I got over it. I say if you want to be a FTF hound then you take your chances. It's too bad about all those great caches that you missed on the way to that FTF that you might not ever get to. Just my 2 cents.

WhereRWe?
03-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I did get pissed off so to speak a year or so ago when I took a special trip down to Augusta for a FTF and find out that it had been found the PREVIOUS day but not logged, but hey I got over it.

No you didn't... :p :p :p

d’76
03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
In my opinion I will log it at the most conveint time for me.

The G Team
03-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Sheesh! You must be the guy everyone is talking about! LOL!

(Sorry about that - but I think you can still log it if I give you the link (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4d5d10af-c0bd-4bd6-9712-e23c30594579))

Ha ha--you are the man, Bruce! Got it logged with no problems. I wouldn't be surprised if people talk, though I think we've always logged our (admittedly few) FTFs pretty quickly. TBs are another story, though, which is why we pretty much have ceased doing them any more. :o

LaughingTerry
03-25-2006, 01:03 AM
occasionally if I do a FTF late at night I will wait to log it just to give the second to find the surprise and joy of opening the cache container and finding a chicken butt sticking out of the top. LOL

GeoMaine
03-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Hmm... Most seem to be in agreement - log the FTF as soon as possible? Is that now the 'modern' etiquette we are using? Wait. I think we’re talking about me & Cold Cache? : )

YOP, I and the other FTF seekers of the day used to do battle the ‘Old School’ way; we always waited for the FPL to post, then we would swoop in with our FTF logs, even if it took a couple of days for the FPL log to hit the site. Since I haven’t ‘played’ much with this current FTF crowd… Perhaps the ‘rules’ have now changed?

Personally, I think it's more fun to leave them un-posted since there is nothing more fun than a FTF itch festering away at you. “Do I go?” “Do I NOT go because it might have been found already?” “Crap! Okay. I won’t go…” “No, I’m gonna go anyway…” “Screw it. If it’s still there tomorrow… Maybe I’ll go… ” : )

We all used to ‘burn’ each other on the FTFs, it truly added a great element to the game. But… Then again: If it’s not fun for everyone, then I can easily see the ‘suck’ element in this FTF game as well.

Skipping over the entire notion that a cache is or isn’t worth going to, as a FTF cache or if it’s now not… It’s still a cache I haven’t done and it’s still a cache I would have been more than likely to do anyway, FTF or not. Heh. I’m just getting to it a lot sooner than I normally would have! As it is with most of us FTF hounds, I rarely spot a FTF in an area I haven’t already ‘carpet cached’ anyway, so it’s not like we’re just there for the FTF. We’re there to keep the house clean, so to speak!

Honestly, seems that if you don’t have the FTF in your hand an hour after it’s posted (around here in Southern Maine at least) it’s probably gonna be a ‘regular’ cache for you. You then have to truly gamble at that point. Most likely the FTF geocacher is now on their way home and still unable to log the find, yet you still have to decide what it is most likely by then… A FTF… or a regular cache with the potential it might still be a first to find. That’s how I look at it…

No matter where you are in the country, I just think the FTF runners in the area simply have to decide what the proper etiquette is and try to stick to it out of politeness and of friendship. I know that if I was approached with this question, I would adhere to whatever agreement we had come to. After all, LOL. I hardly play by any rules when it comes to the FTF, but adhering to cache etiquette? That’s something I can easily do.

: )

attroll
03-25-2006, 04:25 AM
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f39b6733-ac26-4e24-ab1d-5b10835d42f5

This was going tobe a great first to find. Was posted over a year with no takers. The guy that logged it two days before we got there never even logged there find on the site.:(
I have been looking forward to going to see this place. I am planning on going this year.

mainesurveyor
03-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I can go along with the general consensus in the previous posts. As far as FTFs go I'd have to accidently be on site when the cache is 'planted' to get one because the pursuit isn't what interests me in geocaching. I spend all day in the field or registry of deeds hunting for the elusive deed call or property corner. Geocaching for me is just another facet of being outdoors and I appreciate the location and the craftiness of the hide more than the numbers.

Now that I've had my say...I'll go along with dave1976 and say I log my finds (the few I've been to) when it's convenient for me.:cool:

steverph
03-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I have given up on trying for FTF's because I live too near Haffy and Laughing Terry :D:D:D

Team2hunt
03-25-2006, 05:55 PM
If you are an FTF nut, you get what this sport gives you. When you venture to a cache trying to be first, and find the chicken butt smiling at you, and it has NOT been logged. Too bad!! There are NO RULES in this sport. Smile and know that you have been beaten. The Team has logged many miles looking for coins only to find it's NOT in the cache. :eek: Oh well. We enjoyed the time outside and the hunt we were given. :) :) I am trying to plan an FTF Event. That way 30-40 people will get the CO-FTF. :cool:

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
I can't speak to what others do, but only to what I do.

First and foremost I would imagine this issue is most likely most applicable to those folks looking to log a FTF . . . although I suspect it could also apply to someone who wants to get a particular TB, geocoin or trade good for their collection.

I personally log my find as soon as possible, which is usually when I get home or the next morning if it is late . . . but this is just me. Since I have only had a few FTFs this is not such a big issue.

The way I look at it . . . you take your chances when you head out hoping to get the FTF . . . you may be beat to the cache by minutes, hours or even days depending on when the GCer logs their find.

team moxiepup
03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
This could delay things a bit.