View Full Version : RE: Greater Unity Area Event

firefighterjake
03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Hello all . . . I've just got permission to put out three more caches in three new areas in Unity on trails maintained by a non-profit group called the Unity Barn Raisers. You can look for these to come out in another week or two incidentally. . . . I've just got to get the caches put together and do a little historical research on one or two of them . . . for those of you who know the area I'll give you a tease . . . one will be located near the old tannery/marina and another may be near the old fairgrounds.

However, the purpose of this thread isn't to get folks excited about more caches in the area, but rather (it occurred to me as I e-mailed the UBR) that this group has been awfully good to us. Here's the caches they've allowed us to place so far. . . .

Connor Mill Trail
CommUnity Trail (GCQ3GM)
Connor Grist Mill (GCTY7J)
Minnie Weeeee (GCQW39)

Triplet Park
Out of the Ashes (GCQA13)

Field of Dreams
Multi in a Mile (GCPRFR)

While I was doing some research for my future cache placements I noticed that a few of these trails are incomplete . . . this non-profit group wants to extend the trails and form an inter-connected walking/bike path around town. Since the UBR has been so good to us I went out on a limb and expressed interest in trying to help them out some by possibly doing a CITO event or an ETFFC (Extend Trails For Future Caches) event.

I have since received an e-mail inviting me to a meeting of their Trail Committee on April 4th at 5 p.m. At this time I would like to see if anyone might be interested in going with me to this meeting . . . maybe one of our veteran ambassadors of goodwill??? Also, more to the point, is this something anyone might be willing to help out on . . . either a CITO event or a ETFFC event (with of course it depending on your schedule and the date)?

I'm just thinking off the cuff here, but if there is enough interest I wouldn't mind hosting either a CITO or ETFFC event with the idea being work for a few hours in the morning, followed by a BBQ or grabbing a pizza at a local shop and then allowing some time in the afternoon for anyone who wants to grab a few local caches that they may have missed.

Anyone interested in the concept or am I way out of line with my thinking? If nothing else, I figure I'll personally volunteer to help out some since I truly appreciate what this group has allowed us to do.

d’76
03-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello all . . . I've just got permission to put out three more caches in three new areas in Unity on trails maintained by a non-profit group called the Unity Barn Raisers. You can look for these to come out in another week or two incidentally. . . . I've just got to get the caches put together and do a little historical research on one or two of them . . . for those of you who know the area I'll give you a tease . . . one will be located near the old tannery/marina and another may be near the old fairgrounds.

However, the purpose of this thread isn't to get folks excited about more caches in the area, but rather (it occurred to me as I e-mailed the UBR) that this group has been awfully good to us. Here's the caches they've allowed us to place so far. . . .

Connor Mill Trail
CommUnity Trail (GCQ3GM)
Connor Grist Mill (GCTY7J)
Minnie Weeeee (GCQW39)

Triplet Park
Out of the Ashes (GCQA13)

Field of Dreams
Multi in a Mile (GCPRFR)

While I was doing some research for my future cache placements I noticed that a few of these trails are incomplete . . . this non-profit group wants to extend the trails and form an inter-connected walking/bike path around town. Since the UBR has been so good to us I went out on a limb and expressed interest in trying to help them out some by possibly doing a CITO event or an ETFFC (Extend Trails For Future Caches) event.

I have since received an e-mail inviting me to a meeting of their Trail Committee on April 4th at 5 p.m. At this time I would like to see if anyone might be interested in going with me to this meeting . . . maybe one of our veteran ambassadors of goodwill??? Also, more to the point, is this something anyone might be willing to help out on . . . either a CITO event or a ETFFC event (with of course it depending on your schedule and the date)?

I'm just thinking off the cuff here, but if there is enough interest I wouldn't mind hosting either a CITO or ETFFC event with the idea being work for a few hours in the morning, followed by a BBQ or grabbing a pizza at a local shop and then allowing some time in the afternoon for anyone who wants to grab a few local caches that they may have missed.

Anyone interested in the concept or am I way out of line with my thinking? If nothing else, I figure I'll personally volunteer to help out some since I truly appreciate what this group has allowed us to do.

Kudos to you for taking the first step, I was in Unity caching this weekend and I am not so sure that a cito event would be needed since the town is already so clean. I like the idea of continuing the trails. Its a great start that they already have. But making it long would just make it that much better.

If your going to host an event to lengthen the trials you may want to choose a time outside of bug season. I think that is something I would be interested in

Smitty & Co.
03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Grand idea!!:D

Hiram357
03-29-2006, 06:55 PM
you've got me convinced :D

Beach Comber
03-29-2006, 07:46 PM
It is beautiful there. I think I have previously proclaimed that I want to live there. And after having been there again this weekend, I noted that it is the Unity Barn Raisers building that I want to live in - lol - how ironic! Suppose they will let me move in? It is a neat little building with lots of character - just what I am looking for!

I welcome the opportunity to visit the area!

Haffy
03-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm in for any kind of CITO or trail maintenance. We all appreciate what the Barn Raisers are doing and appreciate being able to put caches on their trails as well.

Team2hunt
03-29-2006, 08:32 PM
I attended Unity College a few years back, and love the area. We are in if our weekend is open.

firefighterjake
03-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the support . . . I kind of figured there would be a handful of folks who might be up for doing an event of this sort . . . and then getting together for some food and a few caches afterwards. I'll keep everyone informed of any happenings and if this seems like it's a "go" I'll check around to see what weekend day would work the best for the majority of the folks who are truly interested.

Dave1776: Yeah, doing this before or after bug season would most definitely be a good idea since blackfly season is never fun . . . and you're right, not a lot of trash that I could see on these trails, although there is one area that might be a CITO possibility . . . to tell you the truth though I would be more interested in helping them to extend their trails (I just love cutting down stuff with the chainsaw!)

Beachcomber: If you're talking about the new office for the UBR (on Depot Street) which is the brick building that was the old bank building that was vacant for a very long time before UBR bought it, fixed it up and then recently moved there from their old building (the old Masonic Hall) when they converted that over to a community building/community gym.

To everyone else who has expressed interest: I've taken down your names and will get back to you all as soon as I hear anything.

firefighterjake
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

I did a short presentation last night for the Unity Barn Raisers in which I explained geo-caching (don't worry, I made sure to tell them that I was not an expert!), how it's done, where caches are located, etc. I concluded the 15-minute presentation by thanking the group for allowing us to place and search for the five caches on their trails and I also told them that there were a number of us folks here who would like to give something back to them by donating some time to work on the trails.

The powerpoint slideshow was very well received (incidentally if anyone wants a copy for your own use feel free to let me know and I will e-mail you a copy or send a copy via CD) with lots of photos showing folks of all ages searching for caches, finding caches, etc.

In fact, the UBR folks asked me to come to their next meeting in May. I believe it will be on May 2nd (Tuesday) at 5 p.m. The reason they asked me back . . . most were so excited about geo-caching that they wanted to actually go out and learn how to search for caches starting with some of the ones on their own trail system.

I agreed to come back . . . and I'm hoping that some local geo-cachers (CoolClay, TRF, Noreasta, Smitty, Haffy, Hiram, etc.) may be able to help me by also attending so that these folks (8-12) are not gathered around one GPSr.

Ideally I'd love it if another 2-4 geocachers could come out to help show these folks how to use the GPSr and how to search out the cache . . . this would be an excellent opportunity to show some potential new geo-cachers (or at least some supporters) why geo-caching is so appealing. Anyone interested . . . besides you don't want them to think that Magellan GPSrs are the best do you? :)

If anyone is interested I'll post more info as it comes in and will confirm with you the date/time/etc. Maybe I'll even make this an "event" so you can get "credit" . . . not that it's about the numbers though, right?

I also let these folks know that some of us would like to work on their trails. Tess, the UBR President/Chair, will be getting back to me with some dates and possible projects. I mentioned extending trails might be particularly appealing to us and she mentioned that this might be a possibility . . . although they also are looking at creating parking areas, building bridges (more bouncy bridges??? :) ), etc.

Once again, I'll make this an event so that you can get credit and we can do lunch afterwards and find some local caches if you haven't found all of the ones in the immediate area. I'll post info when I get it, we can set the date/times (I was very specific that we wanted to do this before or after blackfly/mosquito season so it may either be this month or in September) that work for us, choose the project, etc. and then I'll confirm with everyone so that I don't end up being the only person working on that day.

Finally, I mentioned that one of our members (who shall remain nameless) wants to live in the UBR office to which they said, "If the price is right, we'll sell." :)

becket
04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
one GPSr.

Ideally I'd love it if another 2-4 geocachers could come out to help show these folks how to use the GPSr and how to search out the cache . . . this would be an excellent opportunity to show some potential new geo-cachers (or at least some supporters) why geo-caching is so appealing. Anyone interested . . . besides you don't want them to think that Magellan GPSrs are the best do you? :)

personally, i think you should ask JUST magellan users ;)

we3beans
04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
sounds like fun....you might be able to count us in for more chainsaw help.

Haffy
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=becket]personally, i think you should ask JUST magellan users ;)[/QUOTE

Yeah but then there would only be the 3 or 4 of you in attendence.;)

we3beans
04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
There better be only 3!

firefighterjake
04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
sounds like fun....you might be able to count us in for more chainsaw help.

Looks like you have the right kind of saw for the job. :) My wife gave me a Husky a few years ago for my "big" Christmas gift . . . nothing says "Christmas spirit" in Maine like a chainsaw! :) It has been a learning experience since I always ran Stihls growing up, but now I have to say I'm quite fond of my Husky.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I can help Jake, I think. I haven't looked at my schedule but if I'm free you can count on me!!

Smitty & Co.
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
If it fits the schedule we'd love to help out. Our schedules do have some flexibility so give us a date when you get one and we'll see how it fits..........in other words, I'm sure we can help out. :D

WhereRWe?
04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Sheesh! I had to go back and reread the thread. I was starting to think this was some sort of chainsaw challenge, or something. Stihl against Husky - kinda like Garmin vs Magellan. (I'm a Stihl person...)

But I'm up for a CITO event if that's what develops. :D :D :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Sheesh! I had to go back and reread the thread. I was starting to think this was some sort of chainsaw challenge, or something. Stihl against Husky - kinda like Garmin vs Magellan. (I'm a Stihl person...)

But I'm up for a CITO event if that's what develops. :D :D :D

I kind of partial to the timco. Although the CD player could be a better brand but the heater works good....LOL

firefighterjake
04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I can help Jake, I think. I haven't looked at my schedule but if I'm free you can count on me!!

For introducing these folks to geo-caching on May 2nd or for a trail work event or for both?

It's definite on May 2nd (Tue) at 5 p.m.

firefighterjake
04-05-2006, 07:56 PM
If it fits the schedule we'd love to help out. Our schedules do have some flexibility so give us a date when you get one and we'll see how it fits..........in other words, I'm sure we can help out. :D

I assume you're talking about a work detail . . . or are you available for helping out on an introductory class to geocaching on May 2nd?

Smitty & Co.
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I assume you're talking about a work detail . . . or are you available for helping out on an introductory class to geocaching on May 2nd?

I'll make myself available for both :)

firefighterjake
04-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I'll make myself available for both :)

Thanks Smitty. I'll post up some possible dates/work projects when I get them . . . and I'll hopefully see you on May 2nd then at 5 p.m. Do you know where the Community Building is in Unity (School Street, old Mason Lodge . . . of course I suppose I could go there and just post the coords for you. :) )

noreasta
04-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey sounds good, maybe this will get some more locals to appreciate Caching, I have marked this in My palm pilot, and hope that in between Mt. View Varsity Baseball game schedule of which my son plays for. I can slip up there. It may be difficult to make it there by 5, However i have tenetivly marked this down with no promises but would be glad to add my two cents in and my pro garmin opinion... If I become available, I have spoken about caching for the boys scouts once and am slated to for the MT. View Jr. High sometime in late May. I only wish i knew what i was doing... I guess we all have something to contribute.

Smitty & Co.
04-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks Smitty. I'll post up some possible dates/work projects when I get them . . . and I'll hopefully see you on May 2nd then at 5 p.m. Do you know where the Community Building is in Unity (School Street, old Mason Lodge . . . of course I suppose I could go there and just post the coords for you. :) )

Posting the coordinates would only make it more fun. :D I am familiar with the place and can be there at 5pm. The Mrs. said she may join me also :p we'd love to spread the word on what a great family hobby this can be. Looking forward to it, hope more folks join in. :)

firefighterjake
04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Hey sounds good, maybe this will get some more locals to appreciate Caching, I have marked this in My palm pilot, and hope that in between Mt. View Varsity Baseball game schedule of which my son plays for. I can slip up there. It may be difficult to make it there by 5, However i have tenetivly marked this down with no promises but would be glad to add my two cents in and my pro garmin opinion... If I become available, I have spoken about caching for the boys scouts once and am slated to for the MT. View Jr. High sometime in late May. I only wish i knew what i was doing... I guess we all have something to contribute.

That would be great Steve . . . several of the folks at the Unity Barn Raisers know you or know of you . . . most likely due to your status as TRF correspondent or SAD 3 School Board Director (incidentally, I bet you're some glad you're not a Director at SAD 34 right about now, huh?)

Charlie Schaeffer with the Unity Scouts is a member of the Unity Barn Raisers as well so he might have met you already as well. Incidentally, he asked me how long I take to search out a cache . . . at first I was rather perplexed with this question and said it depends on how hard the hide is and then he brought up the recent article with the Top Gun Geocacher who stated he only spends 3 minutes at a cache before leaving and how he likes to drive his 4wd vehicle as close to the cache as he can. I explained that most geocachers enjoy the hike and the experience of the journey and that for most geocachers this is the true experience.

Haffy
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I hope that most people didn't get misled by that geocaching article of the Top Gun geocacher that was in the paper recently. I wasn't too impressed with the way he cached but each to his own. Fortunately we aren't in a position to be able to have 500 or more caches in a 5 mile radius as a lot of urban metropolitan areas have. I have spent on many occasions looking for an hour or more for a cache and for me the best reason for my caching is the places that caching brings me to.

firefighterjake
04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I hope that most people didn't get misled by that geocaching article of the Top Gun geocacher that was in the paper recently. I wasn't too impressed with the way he cached but each to his own. Fortunately we aren't in a position to be able to have 500 or more caches in a 5 mile radius as a lot of urban metropolitan areas have. I have spent on many occasions looking for an hour or more for a cache and for me the best reason for my caching is the places that caching brings me to.

I agree with you.

Hiram357
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM

I'll drink to that! :D

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Just a reminder before you fill up your busy social calendars for next week . . .

May 2nd
5 p.m.
Unity Barn Raisers Community Building on School St.

Myself (and any other geocachers who would like to help out) will be introducing geocaching to the Unity Barn Raisers Trail Committee. These are the folks who have graciously allowed us to place many caches on their trails. They specifically asked for a hands-on demonstration and this may be a great chance to get some new converts . . . or at the very least show our gratitude to these folks.

I know a few of you here have expressed interest in being there. Can I have a "hand count" to see who believes they can make it? The more geocachers, the merrier . . . as we can then let the UBR folks use the GPSrs without having to have 10 or 12 of them crowd around a single receiver . . . besides we need some of the vaunted Garmin GPSrs there to show up my Magellan GPSr, right?

So . . . who thinks they can attend?

1. Firefighterjake
2.????

P.S. To thank those of you who do show up I'll treat you to a pizza at the Unity House of Pizza afterwards . . . it's close, quick and tastes great.

Hiram357
04-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Just a reminder before you fill up your busy social calendars for next week . . .

May 2nd
5 p.m.

Myself (and any other geocachers who would like to help out) will be introducing geocaching to the Unity Barn Raisers Trail Committee. These are the folks who have graciously allowed us to place many caches on their trails. They specifically asked for a hands-on demonstration and this may be a great chance to get some new converts . . . or at the very least show our gratitude to these folks.

I know a few of you here have expressed interest in being there. Can I have a "hand count" to see who believes they can make it? The more geocachers, the merrier . . . as we can then let the UBR folks use the GPSrs without having to have 10 or 12 of them crowd around a single receiver . . . besides we need some of the vaunted Garmin GPSrs there to show up my Magellan GPSr, right?

1. Firefighterjake
2.????

P.S. To thank those of you who do show up I'll treat you to a pizza at the Unity House of Pizza afterwards . . . it's close, quick and tastes great.

I'll ask the wife, but im a pretty sure almost maybe yes

Smitty & Co.
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM

May 2nd
5 p.m.

1. Firefighterjake
2. Smitty & Co.

Added myself to the list :D

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I'll ask the wife, but im a pretty sure almost maybe yes

Great . . . on two accounts. 1) I will sincerely appreciate the help and 2) It will be nice to meet you . . . although having the two of us in the same area might be a sign of the Apocalypse. :D

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Added myself to the list :D

That would be great Smitty . . . it will be nice to meet you as well.

That makes three of us . . .

Hiram357
04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
so far it's looking good, i just have to find a way to get out of work early... :(

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 04:22 PM
so far it's looking good, i just have to find a way to get out of work early... :(

Would it help if I could come up with some sort of electrical emergency at the Community Center . . . like . . . uh . . . a geocacher was convinced that the micro was hidden on a nearby electrical transformer and they were electrocuted and half of Unity now has no electricity and Sci Fi is running a 24-hours of Star Trek marathon? :D

Hiram357
04-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Would it help if I could come up with some sort of electrical emergency at the Community Center . . . like . . . uh . . . a geocacher was convinced that the micro was hidden on a nearby electrical transformer and they were electrocuted and half of Unity now has no electricity and Sci Fi is running a 24-hours of Star Trek marathon? :D

it would have to be more refrigeration related, call in and say that the community beer cooler is down, the txv is all iced up and the SG is flashing clear, and that the compressor is short cycling and the tstat is down to 25 but the box temp is up to 65... that'lll get some people scrambling... :D

steverph
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I hope to attend if things go OK at work tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be a rainy cold day. Will you postpone the field trip or do you have a backup plan GPS demo or something similiar planned? :confused:

firefighterjake
05-01-2006, 07:28 PM
I hope to attend if things go OK at work tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be a rainy cold day. Will you postpone the field trip or do you have a backup plan GPS demo or something similiar planned? :confused:

Great . . . that would make 3-4 of us.

I'm hoping to access my work e-mail to see if the UBRaisers have e-mailed me anything about holding it, rescheduling, etc. As soon as I know anything (or figure out how to access my e-mail from home) I'll post the info here . . . at this time I'm assuming it's still on for 5 p.m.

Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering. Here are the coords for the Community Center.

N 44.36.669
W 069.20.139

Hiram357
05-01-2006, 07:54 PM
im gunna try hard to be there, only time will tell...

firefighterjake
05-01-2006, 08:22 PM
im gunna try hard to be there, only time will tell...

If you can make it, great. If not, completely understandable. Thanks Hiram.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Smitty, Steveph, Hiram, Noreasta . . . and anyone else whom I might have forgotten that said they were thinking of helping out.

Due to the rain the Unity Barn Raisers has postponed this until next Tuesday (May 9th) at 5 p.m. at the Unity Community Building. Sorry about not getting this out any earlier.

Hopefully many of you will be able to do next Tuesday.

To be honest I'm not too disappointed since a) I don't relish caching in the rain (yeah, I'm a fair-weather cacher) and b) Getting people interested in caching probably wouldn't work so well when they're cold and soaking wet . . . they might end up with some negative impressions.

So . . . until next Tuesday.

Haffy
05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Aww what a bummer but I guess you're right. I was planning on coming to help as well but I am leaving for SC this Sunday so I won't be around. I hope all that do attend and help out that you do us geocachers proud.

steverph
05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Coulda been a great Bob Dylan Tune.:cool:

I am not disappointed that I won't go caching in my rain gear. Unfortunately I have an ATV club meeting next Tuesday so can't attend the rescheduled meeting. Hate to miss out on the pizza party. Thanks for letting us know ahead of time.

Steve

Cache Maine
05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Smitty, Steveph, Hiram, Noreasta . . . and anyone else whom I might have forgotten that said they were thinking of helping out.

Due to the rain the Unity Barn Raisers has postponed

Noreasta hasn't signed in today...do you have a backup method for letting him know? PM me if you do not. Oh, Hiram too. Can't help you there though.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Aww what a bummer but I guess you're right. I was planning on coming to help as well but I am leaving for SC this Sunday so I won't be around. I hope all that do attend and help out that you do us geocachers proud.

Thanks for thinking of me at least. Have a safe trip in SC. I'm a little disappointed myself since I've printed up the descriptions from geocaching.com and even laminated the sheets.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Coulda been a great Bob Dylan Tune.:cool:

I am not disappointed that I won't go caching in my rain gear. Unfortunately I have an ATV club meeting next Tuesday so can't attend the rescheduled meeting. Hate to miss out on the pizza party. Thanks for letting us know ahead of time.

Steve

Thanks anyways Steve . . . if you could've been here I know you would have . . .

Incidentally does Oakland have many trails? As an active member with the Troy ATV Club I'm always interested in learning about area clubs and trails.

Smitty & Co.
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey Jake...got your email, bummer! The Mrs. and I were both going to attend. I'm not sure about next week. I have a couple of evening shifts schedueled as a favor to a co-worker. I'll see what I can do. :(

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Next Tuesday,,,hmmmm. I should be able to make it. Hopefully the weather turns for the better by then.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Hmmm . .. I lose Haffy, Smitty and StevePh, but gain TRF . . . I'm not sure if that is such a great deal. :D

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 02:42 PM
aaaarrg!!! and i snuck out of work early for nuthin! well... i wont let it go to waste :)

steverph
05-02-2006, 04:22 PM
FFJ: We don't have extensive trails in Oakland. We connect to the Fairfield trails. We should try to do a couple of rides this summer in Troy and Oakland/Fairfield. ATV/Caching ride??

I have done a lot of hunting in Burnham off the Troy road.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Thats too bad you cancelled tonight. I have a new Magellan GPSr that i wanted to show you:

http://www.uninets.net/~maggie/new_magellan.JPG

The new Megellan user Manual

Enjoy you new Magellan. To use your new Magellan GPS, hold it so the arrow points away from you and proceed to walk in that direction until you stumble upon the desired location. The direction of the arrow has been mathematically derived so the owner does not find themselves in orbit around a common axis. This math was derived from the old Spirograph we know and love from our childhood and thus will result in the user of this GPS to stumble upon his/her desired location within a definitive period of time.

This new Magellan comes standard with a new enlarged battery compartment so you can add as many batteries as will fit. Also, included with your new Magellan you will find the well documented and proven Hansel and Gretel routing system. When creating a new route simple tear along the perforating marks and toss to the ground. The larger “X’s” are for way-pointing and are distributed in the same fashion as routes; tear off and place at desired location. The buttons found on the front of your new GPS are there for decoration only. Magellan does not recommend that you push them or folks nearby will think you are nuts, if they haven’t deduced that already.

By adhering to this manual will you come to appreciate just how lost you can become with this GPS.

If you lose this GPSr or it becomes wet and un-functional feel free to draw another and add features that you feel are missing from this model.

Yours truly from the user of a Garmin

Happy Caching!!!!:D :D :D

Smitty & Co.
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Thats too bad you cancelled tonight. I have a new Magellan GPSr that i wanted to show you:

Enjoy you new Magellan. To use your new Magellan GPS, hold it so the arrow points away from you and proceed to walk in that direction until you stumble upon the desired location. The direction of the arrow has been mathematically derived so the owner does not find themselves in orbit around a common axis. This math was derived from the old Spirograph we know and love from our childhood and thus will result in the user of this GPS to stumble upon his/her desired location within a definitive period of time.

This new Magellan comes standard with a new enlarged battery compartment so you can add as many batteries as will fit. Also, included with your new Magellan you will find the well documented and proven Hansel and Gretel routing system. When creating a new route simple tear along the perforating marks and toss to the ground. The larger “X’s” are for way-pointing and are distributed in the same fashion as routes; tear off and place at desired location. The buttons found on the front of your new GPS are there for decoration only. Magellan does not recommend that you push them or folks nearby will think you are nuts, if they haven’t deduced that already.

By adhering to this manual will you come to appreciate just how lost you can become with this GPS.

If you lose this GPSr or it becomes wet and un-functional feel free to draw another and add features that you feel are missing from this model.

Gotta love a Garmin!! BTW....how many have you sold??

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
LMAO!!!! Since it's raining out I'll take 6!!!:D:D:D:D

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 08:02 PM
FFJ: We don't have extensive trails in Oakland. We connect to the Fairfield trails. We should try to do a couple of rides this summer in Troy and Oakland/Fairfield. ATV/Caching ride??

I have done a lot of hunting in Burnham off the Troy road.

Have you done my "Book-nobile" or "I've Found my Thrill" caches yet? If not, these can easily be done by ATV.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Jake...got your email, bummer! The Mrs. and I were both going to attend. I'm not sure about next week. I have a couple of evening shifts schedueled as a favor to a co-worker. I'll see what I can do. :(

If things change let me know . . . I was looking forward to meeting you -- and I definitely could have used the extra help.

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
:D I like it . . . I'd like to place my order now if I can. Do you take Visa? My Visa number is . . .

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Sooooo . . . let's try this again. I know a number of you can't make it for next Tuesday the 9th due to other obligations and I sincerely appreciate those of you who were willing to take your valuable time to help me out -- if my count is right we would have had myself, Haffy, Hiram, Steveph, Smitty and his wife and possibly Noreasta and TRF. This would have been great . . . but it would have put a bit of a dent into the pizza buying budget. ;)

In any case, are there any volunteers for the revised date on the 9th at 5 p.m. My offer of free pizza afterwards and all the cracks you can make about my Magellan still stands. . . .

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Have you done my "Book-nobile" or "I've Found my Thrill" caches yet? If not, these can easily be done by ATV.

I did that one with the jeep this winter, it was really cool with all the ice ledges on the stream, i think ive got pics of it in my gallery.

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Sooooo . . . let's try this again. I know a number of you can't make it for next Tuesday the 9th due to other obligations and I sincerely appreciate those of you who were willing to take your valuable time to help me out -- if my count is right we would have had myself, Haffy, Hiram, Steveph, Smitty and his wife and possibly Noreasta and TRF. This would have been great . . . but it would have put a bit of a dent into the pizza buying budget. ;)

In any case, are there any volunteers for the revised date on the 9th at 5 p.m. My offer of free pizza afterwards and all the cracks you can make about my Magellan still stands. . . .

i'll try to plan my work schedule ahead a bit... (stil no gaurntees though cuz my vac. is all used up, but i can probably pull somethin outta my hat)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-02-2006, 08:17 PM

I pretty sure I can make it. I'll even bring along my new GPS for you to review.;)

steverph
05-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Are the trails to the caches posted ATV trails? Don't want to get a ticket from a warden.

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Are the trails to the caches posted ATV trails? Don't want to get a ticket from a warden.

theres a road that goes to a cemetary that is about .5 miles away from the cache (not accesiable during winter unless you have good 4wd or a sled) they are atv and sled trails that come very close to the cache. (bring a book)

firefighterjake
05-03-2006, 05:56 AM
i'll try to plan my work schedule ahead a bit... (stil no gaurntees though cuz my vac. is all used up, but i can probably pull somethin outta my hat)

Uh, Hiram I think the freezer at the Community Building in Unity is going to go on the fritz next Tuesday . . . maybe you should stop by just in case. ;)

firefighterjake
05-03-2006, 05:58 AM
I pretty sure I can make it. I'll even bring along my new GPS for you to review.;)

That would be appreciated Steve . . . and bring your new Magellan. Does it have a color screen . . . I know, I know . . . only if I bring my Crayolas, right? :D

firefighterjake
05-03-2006, 06:01 AM

Booknobile is on a legal trail and the Thrill cache is not too far away . . . last I knew it wasn't a legal trail, but it was a case where folks have been riding there forever (and hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc.) and the owner has not minded. This cache is in Jackson so our club hasn't extended our reach into that town.

steverph
05-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Booknobile is on a legal trail and the Thrill cache is not too far away . . . last I knew it wasn't a legal trail, but it was a case where folks have been riding there forever (and hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc.) and the owner has not minded. This cache is in Jackson so our club hasn't extended our reach into that town.
Thanks for the info. I will visit them this summer when I have the Kodiak with me. Visiting a cache on the ATV will be a first for me. It would be fun if we could get together to ride on the Troy and Oakland trails. Our club is small but we try to plan trips to explore new areas. It is always great if we are joined by a guide from the local area. (Seems now I have hijacked your thread and gone off topic:D)

Steve

firefighterjake
05-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I will visit them this summer when I have the Kodiak with me. Visiting a cache on the ATV will be a first for me. It would be fun if we could get together to ride on the Troy and Oakland trails. Our club is small but we try to plan trips to explore new areas. It is always great if we are joined by a guide from the local area. (Seems now I have hijacked your thread and gone off topic:D)

Steve

1) You should definitely come out and use the ATV to get to these caches . . . also there are a lot of caches that you can do by ATV on the Newport to Dover rail trail (many of them placed by Menace66) -- in fact this would make a nice half to full day ride of combining caches with ATVing.

2) In the near future I hope to place a cache that will either require a good hike, good four-wheel drive vehicle or an ATV to get to . . . and of those choices the ATV would be the best and easiest to use to get to this cache

3) I would love to come out and ride the Oakland and/or Fairfield trails and the invitation to come and ride in Troy is always open. Anytime you are interested in riding give me a call. Just PM me with a possible date and time. Our ATV club is also fairly small, but it's pretty active and getting better. This will be the first year that we are planning on doing club rides on a monthly basis with our first ride on May 13th riding from Newport to Dover (unfortunately I've got all of the caches along the route so it will be strictly ATVing for me.)

Haffy
05-03-2006, 08:58 AM
2) In the near future I hope to place a cache that will either require a good hike, good four-wheel drive vehicle or an ATV to get to . . . and of those choices the ATV would be the best and easiest to use to get to this cache

Make it a good hike and I'll be there. :D

firefighterjake
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Make it a good hike and I'll be there. :D

Well if you don't have an ATV or a 4WD vehicle I'm guessing you'll have to go with option A. :) Shouldn't be very challenging though in terms of terrain . . . but it should be a decent hike in from the road.

steverph
05-04-2006, 07:20 AM
1) You should definitely come out and use the ATV to get to these caches . . . also there are a lot of caches that you can do by ATV on the Newport to Dover rail trail (many of them placed by Menace66) -- in fact this would make a nice half to full day ride of combining caches with ATVing.

3) I would love to come out and ride the Oakland and/or Fairfield trails and the invitation to come and ride in Troy is always open. Anytime you are interested in riding give me a call. Just PM me with a possible date and time. Our ATV club is also fairly small, but it's pretty active and getting better. This will be the first year that we are planning on doing club rides on a monthly basis with our first ride on May 13th riding from Newport to Dover (unfortunately I've got all of the caches along the route so it will be strictly ATVing for me.)

I made the rail trail trip before. It is a fun ride with a great meal at the Bear's Den a must do part of the trip. Looks like I will be making another caching ride on the trail this summer. I will send you a message about coordinating rides in Troy and Oakland. Like Haffy I enjoy hiking but if I can ATV and cache together it will double the fun. (Sorta like fishing and drinking beer :D .) I look forward to your new cache!!

firefighterjake
05-08-2006, 07:23 AM
OK, getting back on focus with this thread (although I have to admit I contributed to the diversion as well). . . . :D

If anyone is interested the Geocaching 101 "Class" with the Unity Barn Raisers is set for tomorrow at 5 p.m. at the Community Center. Since quite a few of the folks who were going to help last week are unable to do so due to work schedules, vacations, etc. I surely could use the help . . . and you could take advantage of this opportunity to do my Multi in a Mile . . . and a Half and get free pizza courtesy of me.

Of course, I'll be there. Anyone else?

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
OK, getting back on focus with this thread (although I have to admit I contributed to the diversion as well). . . . :D

If anyone is interested the Geocaching 101 "Class" with the Unity Barn Raisers is set for tomorrow at 5 p.m. at the Community Center. Since quite a few of the folks who were going to help last week are unable to do so due to work schedules, vacations, etc. I surely could use the help . . . and you could take advantage of this opportunity to do my Multi in a Mile . . . and a Half and get free pizza courtesy of me.

Of course, I'll be there. Anyone else?

I'm planning on it. How long is this scheduled for? I need details so I can get permission to go.;)

firefighterjake
05-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Steve: There is no set time limit. Come and stay as long as you want to or feel comfortable . . . again, I sincerely appreciate the help.

d’76
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey Jake,

Brad and I will be leaving Brewer at 3:45 tomorrow, Did you say that you had a waypoint that you could post?:)

Hiram357
05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm going to be in Gouldsboro..... I might make it...

firefighterjake
05-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey Jake,

Brad and I will be leaving Brewer at 3:45 tomorrow, Did you say that you had a waypoint that you could post?:)

3:45 p.m.? Either you're planning on coming early or you guys drive slow. Should only take you 45 minutes max.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Waypoint was posted earlier in this thread.

firefighterjake
05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm going to be in Gouldsboro..... I might make it...

If you can, great. If you cannot, I know you would have if you could have. Thank you.

Hiram357
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I think it went good, that's two more people brought into a positive outlook on geocaching!! (and the pizza was good too) Thanks J!! :)

firefighterjake
05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I think it went good, that's two more people brought into a positive outlook on geocaching!! (and the pizza was good too) Thanks J!! :)

No, thank you . . . and Stephanie . . . and Maniac . . . and Dave1976 . . . and TRF. I swear to you . . . at last month's meeting there were 12-15 folks and they seemed interested.

As you said, I think there are at least two folks who are interested . . . or who at least now have a much better idea of what we are doing on their trails.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with the non-GCer numbers, but

a) I enjoyed meeting all of you Garmin guys,

b) it gave me a great excuse to eat pizza,

c) it was fun to watch you guys do the Multi in a Mile . . . and a Half and then Brier's Beach,

d) it let the UBR folks know that we are interested in coming back to do this again with more folks (they mentioned doing it in the Fall when Unity College starts back up, inviting folks from surrounding communities and not just the UBR and even trying to see if the school would be interested in learning more about GCing),

e) I learned of a new possible place for a cache and that the UBRs are monitoring the logs from the folks who are using their trails (through geocaching.com) and they like the fact that we're using their trails,

f) we let the UBR folks know we are serious about doing a work detail at some point and

g) we might have gained at least one more geocacher -- "Muggle-No-More" (time will tell.)

Thanks again to those who were able to come out tonight . . . and for those who were willing to come out last week even though it was rained out.

d’76
05-09-2006, 10:15 PM
So, what can I say. I'm glad I went the pizza was great. But more importantly we got a chance to give the game a positive spin to some folks that may have never knew about the game.

Oh and I got a chance to meet Mr and Mrs. Hiram, yet again good people involved in the sport, Like I have said before I havent met any one that caches that I didnt like. We should all get togeather agian.

Thanks Jake I hope Tess takes us serious about the event when trail building season comes.

Dave