View Full Version : Deleting found logs...

Cache Maine
04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Nothing worse than having to delete a found log on one of your owned caches. Some of the best ones yet...

"Well, we could see it from a distance but there were too many people around,"

Or, "I couldn't quite reach it."

O, "We found the cover."

Or, my ever favorite...."I couldn't get it open."

*sigh* :confused:

Last time I checked, it was Log=Find and No Log=No find

I agree with the whole let people play they way they want to play...but not signing the log??!?!?

firefighterjake
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Gotta agree with you . . . hasn't happened to any of my caches yet though. Personally, I want to sign the log and make sure that what I think is the cache is the cache and not just an old tupperware lid that has blown under a rock or something! The way I figure it, if I can't make a log at the time due to muggles in the area, I'll come back . . . but this is just me.

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Or, my ever favorite...."I couldn't get it open."

I have been to caches that I couldn't open - twice that I recall offhand. Once, it was a glass continer and we just couldn't get the screw-on cap off (corroded? cross threaded? I don't know...). I didn't want to risk breaking the container, so we put the container back, continued on, and later logged the fact that we couldn't get it open, .

The second time, it was a flimzy plastic container that was frozen into the ground. We probably could have smashed the container to get to the log, but we left it as it was and logged it as a find.

I also believe that the goal is to FIND THE CACHE. I refuse to log a DNF because of some cache owners cheap containers or lousy placement.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

LaughingTerry
04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I have been to caches that I couldn't open - twice that I recall offhand. Once, it was a glass continer and we just couldn't get the screw-on cap off (corroded? cross threaded? I don't know...). I didn't want to risk breaking the container, so we put the container back, continued on, and later logged the fact that we couldn't get it open, .

The second time, it was a flimzy plastic container that was frozen into the ground. We probably could have smashed the container to get to the log, but we left it as it was and logged it as a find.

I also believe that the goal is to FIND THE CACHE. I refuse to log a DNF because of some cache owners cheap containers or lousy placement.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You forgot mine. You thought it was frozen in when it was actually epoxyed so you don't pull it out but unscrew the lid. LOL

For future reference...Lefty Loosie, righty tighty.......:D

I didn't complain though. Sure looked like a find to me.

Cache Maine
04-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Cachers must use discretion though....here's a excerpt from a log from another cacher in a similar situation. I have loads and loads of respect for the decision made here not to jeopardize the integrity of the cache or the placement.

"I actually spotted the cache but there was a muggle parked almost on top of it. I tried to figure out how to grab it but decided the best way was to go back into town and get a bite to eat and come back. I came back and now there was a car parked on both sides of it as well as a policeman across the street giving someone a ticket. As descretion is the better part of valor I decided to put this one off for another day."

Also, if there are unusual circumstances, than logs may be allowed in that instance. I'm referring to the normal, everyday, cache is whole, complete, not frozen, or been ripped apart by bears. Those times call for individual attention.

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
You forgot mine. You thought it was frozen in when it was actually epoxyed so you don't pull it out but unscrew the lid. LOL

Which reinforces my point! Your cache was encrusted with frozen dirt, making it seem like it was frozen in, and I didn't want to screw with someone else's container. Without the frozen dirt, it probably would have been obvious that the container was secured. But again, I'm not gonna use force to get into a container.

(Sheesh! I'll "losey-goosey" you the next time I see you! LOL!)

brdad
04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
One of the top cachers in the world (who shall remail nameless) is known for questionable finds. In one of the cacher's logs the cacher stops at a state park a few minutes after closing, and in an instance of doing what's right decided not to enter. In the next instance, he/she takes a picture of the closed gate from inside the car, logs the cache as a find and says I hope that's close enough to call it a find.

My general stance is if the finder and the cache hider feel it's ok to call it a find, let it be a find. But, it's hard to agree with that practice when you have people logging finds in a manner like I described.

robt
04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I say that it is at the cache owners discretion, if they want to accept this as an acceptable find then so be it, who am I to tell him what to do. I myself will allways sighn the log and if i can not I either A, do not make and entry or B, log a dnf on it.

As a cache owner I do not go over my logs and delete finds if i can not find a log entry cause I do not take it that seriously. I do not feel that the cache is the real prize it is the journey and places we go cause of geocaching that is the true hidden treasures.

( makes note to pick up more log books so that he can swap them out on the upcoming cache maintance day coming up and start checking and deleteing :p :p :p :p )

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
My general stance is if the finder and the cache hider feel it's ok to call it a find, let it be a find. But, it's hard to agree with that practice when you have people logging finds in a manner like I described.

I agree with you, too. FINDING the cache is the key. Micros, especially, can be tough to find in a muggle-intensive environment, but FINDING makes the difference. In the case you cited, who knows if the cacher would have found the cache in the daytime, when the park was open, and no muggles to be seen.

:D :D :D

Slate
04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I have at least three finds in which I have not signed the logbook, but I counted it as a find. In those cases the logbook was in such poor condition I was unable to sign it. (wet/frozen/moldy) As far as I am concerned, once you have the cache in your hands it is a find.

Sudonim
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I have found caches that I could not physically access the log book due to placement+weather. My rule of thumb has been if you can put your hand on the container (and accessing the container isn't part of a puzzle) but you can't remove it from the location due to being frozen in, you have still found the cache and should deserve to log the find. I found one a month ago that was half submerged in ice, with the lid loose. I could see the log book, but would have had to chip about a quart of ice out of the hole to put my hand on the log book (which would have been waterlogged beyond use anyway).

I did another cache this winter that was an ammo box under a log. I loosened the box enough to move it around, but the log was there to stay and the ground was frozen. In order to get the box open, I would have had to do enough damage to the log that the cache wouldn't be hidden anymore.

If I can see the cache (or suspect I know where it is) but there are muggles around, I'll wait, orbit the block or come back another day.

Again, this game is kind of like golf, you aren't playing against others, just a challenge for yourself. If you are in the same county as the cache and decide to log it, you are only cheating yourself. You have to decide in your own mind if you made a "fair" find or not.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
~ Groucho Marx

becket
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
i did one cache (micro) where the paper was so wet that it started to crumble when i took it out. needless to say, i didn't sign it. but i did email the owner - the next cacher couldn't sign it either. i claimed it as a find. another cache, i couldn't get the log book out so just put my card in. i also claimed that one. there have been several cache containers that were almost impossible to open. one took me 15 minutes to get the cover off. that's why i like ammo boxes! now i usually carry extra freezer strength ziplock bags and extra logbooks in case there is no log book (that's happened twice.) i also have extra pens, pencils and sharpeners.

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
i did one cache (micro) where the paper was so wet that it started to crumble when i took it out. needless to say, i didn't sign it. but i did email the owner - the next cacher couldn't sign it either. i claimed it as a find. another cache, i couldn't get the log book out so just put my card in. i also claimed that one. there have been several cache containers that were almost impossible to open. one took me 15 minutes to get the cover off. that's why i like ammo boxes! now i usually carry extra freezer strength ziplock bags and extra logbooks in case there is no log book (that's happened twice.) i also have extra pens, pencils and sharpeners.

I could have written this comment! Thanks, Becket! :D :D

Beach Comber
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
There have been a few times when I have found the cache, written a note, indicated that I left a beach treasure magnet sig item and then not actually signed my name! ai yi yi - you can imagine the begging and pleadiing I have had to do on one such as brdad's Battleship to let me keep the find - lol

Yeehawma
04-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I like Sudonim's philosophy - it echos my own. I have recently placed a puzzle mutli cache. Two of the locations are in a very high muggle area. A person could wait hours and possiby still not be able to retrieve the cache. I have stated that these can be logged a find if they are able to solve the puzzle , find and sign the log at the final location. To get the clues, you'd have to be pretty close to the caches anyways. It can't always about the specifics - sometimes you gotta just let people have fun with your cache.

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Ya know the ones that really bug me are the logs that say "this is my 2nd or 3rd time trying to find this cache" or "I didn't find it the other day..." or "Much easir to find on the 2nd try..." BUT THERE'S NO DNFS LOGGED! what's up with that!?!?!

Sudonim
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Hiram, glad to see someone else noticing that. When I started caching, I didn't log every DNF, figured "I'll get back to it", but some of them are gone and it will help the cache owner if I log a DNF and 1 or 2 others do the same. I have a DNF list that I want to clean up, but I log them all.

LaughingTerry
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Ya know the ones that really bug me are the logs that say "this is my 2nd or 3rd time trying to find this cache" or "I didn't find it the other day..." or "Much easir to find on the 2nd try..." BUT THERE'S NO DNFS LOGGED! what's up with that!?!?!

Some people don't log DNFs unless they give up. Others don't log them at all for fear they might look bad. I think some new cachers don't log them because they just don't realize yet. I was one of those at first then I figured it out and have logged over 50 DNFs since. LOL

The other day I DNFd but didn't log it because I didn't have the cache description with me and it wasn't a serious search, more of a "Oh a cache is close by" LOL I went back the next day with the description and found it though. I did tell in the log about my first aborted attempt.

SewN2Cachin'
04-10-2006, 03:39 AM
As a new geocacher, I started to get scared after a particularly bad day (3 DNF's, one find). The amount of finds I had logged, was almost the same amount as my list of DNF's! VERY disheartening. BUT it made me a better cacher, because I LOG all DNF's and didn't want my DNF # to exceed my Finds #. So now I look longer, harder, and smarter. ;} And if my GPSr gets squirrel-y, I try another day. I STILL log it as a DNF, though, because I attempted it, and Did Not Find it (hence the DNF abbreviation?? lol).

WhereRWe?
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Some people don't log DNFs unless they give up. Others don't log them at all for fear they might look bad. I think some new cachers don't log them because they just don't realize yet. I was one of those at first then I figured it out and have logged over 50 DNFs since. LOL

The other day I DNFd but didn't log it because I didn't have the cache description with me and it wasn't a serious search, more of a "Oh a cache is close by" LOL I went back the next day with the description and found it though. I did tell in the log about my first aborted attempt.

I agree with you, Terry.

We often don't log a DNF if we've just looked casually, and didn't make an effort in finding a cache. We have enough caching experience to have experienced a lot of "unusual" hides (although your Right in Plain Sight hide was a first...) and are pretty sure we do a thorough search when we try.

So if we don't find a cache after a PROPER search we'll log the DNF to either reward the cache owner for the good hide, or let them know there may be a problem, whichever is applicable.

brdad
04-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Sometimes, when it's not a true DNF, I will log a note if nothing more for my own reference. Did this just yesterday as we were going to do a cache on the way through to Waterville. by the time we found a parking spot close enough, it was too late to walk that distance and we were still unsure it was the right starting point. So, I logged a note. If I want to remember when we were there, I have a record of it now, and the cache owner knows someone was at least considering the cache that day.

firefighterjake
04-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I agree with you, Terry.

We often don't log a DNF if we've just looked casually, and didn't make an effort in finding a cache. We have enough caching experience to have experienced a lot of "unusual" hides (although your Right in Plain Sight hide was a first...) and are pretty sure we do a thorough search when we try.

So if we don't find a cache after a PROPER search we'll log the DNF to either reward the cache owner for the good hide, or let them know there may be a problem, whichever is applicable.

I do the same thing with the same philosophy.

If it's not a really concerted effort to find the cache then I won't log the DNF. For example, a few months ago my wife and I were in Waterville and she was doing a job interview. While she was being interviewed I scooted down to Perkins Sanctuary to try to find that pesky cache which had eluded me a few weeks earlier. I was limited on time so after 15 minutes or so I headed back to wait for my wife. I didn't log a DNF for that one . . . but I did on the first search since I made a real, concerted effort to find it.

Like WhereRwe I log DNFs for three reasons. 1) Just in case there is a problem with the cache being MIA, 2) To show the cache hider that they had a very good hide if it's not missing (i.e. Old 470) and 3) A few times the cache hider has e-mailed me with another clue or simply has told me that I was in the right area or on the right track.

I also think Laughing Terry is correct. I suspect some new cachers don't realize they can (and probably should) mark down DNFs when they have them since I know it helps me know if a cache may be a bugger and require a little more searching than looking around for a pile of geo-sticks. I also suspect some folks don't put down a DNF because they don't want to look as though they're a miserable failure as a GCer . . . I obviously don't have that problem since I'm a miserable failure in many, many things. :D

Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it (yeah, that would be me, just call me dummy and stick a dunce cap on me while you're at it ;) ). This doesn't help since it only encourages others who also may have not found the cache to not record DNFs.

WhereRWe?
04-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it

I agree with this, too. :D :D

Several times RULOST2? and I have logged DNF's, and then gone back to an easy find. DUH!

There is NO reason anyone logging a DNF should be denigrated. (Well, unless it's Brdad or LaughingTerry, who are known for placing diabolically tricky caches! LOL!)

Cache Maine
04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Final thought on DNFs . . . one thing that doesn't help though is when someone logs a DNF and then others who find the cache afterwards refer back to the person with a DNF or talk about it being so easy that they couldn't believe the person couldn't find it (yeah, that would be me, just call me dummy and stick a dunce cap on me while you're at it ;) ). This doesn't help since it only encourages others who also may have not found the cache to not record DNFs.

I agree with this as well. There is no reason to do this. I'm sure sometimes it's done in fun, and a joking manner...but still. A cacher should feel free to tell us about their adventure, but they should leave other people's adventure out of it. It's not theirs to tell anyway. This happened very recently on one of my caches. Not only did the person put down a previous DNF cacher, they also proceeded to down the way that I hid it, saying something to the effect of, "I looked for it the way I would have done it." I'm sad to report that the DNF cacher hasn't been back. :(

Hindsight is 20/20....if they had already hidden one there, then I wouldn't have been able too!

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!! Since we had such a great outcome with the FTF-A-Thon... I'll organize a DNF-A-Thon!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Beach Comber
04-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I think I already won that one Hiram! LOL

I always log my DNF's - sometimes it is to help others see there is a challenge, sometimes to let the owner know there may be a problem, and sometimes to just tell the story. It's all in fun for me - finds and do not finds. I have been to some great places that I got to re-visit because I couldn't find it the first time. But then again, there is Old 470. That one just plain haunted me.

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I think I already won that one Hiram! LOL

I always log my DNF's - sometimes it is to help others see there is a challenge, sometimes to let the owner know there may be a problem, and sometimes to just tell the story. It's all in fun for me - finds and do not finds. I have been to some great places that I got to re-visit because I couldn't find it the first time. But then again, there is Old 470. That one just plain haunted me.

I'm selling hints for benadicts landing for $10 each :D

Mainiac1957
04-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll let them go for only $5 ;) :D

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I'll let them go for only $5 ;) :D

$4.50!!! Do I have any takers on $4.50!?!?!?!

Sudonim
04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
If that hint gets down to a buck, I'll bid on it. I found 15 caches today and DNF'ed one...Benedict. I even met up with Hiram later and got a hint, went back and still DNF'ed.

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
If that hint gets down to a buck, I'll bid on it. I found 15 caches today and DNF'ed one...Benedict. I even met up with Hiram later and got a hint, went back and still DNF'ed.

Still a DNF???? I'll try to check on it tomorrow... I hope it's still there. :(

Beach Comber
04-10-2006, 10:43 PM

Oops - now that I see this opportunity and was about to proudly say that I have logged that cache, I realized that I didn't log the DNF on this. I did a DNF and logged the find in the same afternoon and should have included both logs - my bad - I need to be careful when I use words like "always" and "never" - I get burned most every time ;)

And, thank goodness I got the hint/help when I did because looks like the price is rising :eek:

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Oops - now that I see this opportunity and was about to proudly say that I have logged that cache, I realized that I didn't log the DNF on this. I did a DNF and logged the find in the same afternoon and should have included both logs - my bad - I need to be careful when I use words like "always" and "never" - I get burned most every time ;)

And, thank goodness I got the hint/help when I did because looks like the price is rising :eek:

*GASP* :eek::eek::eek:

you shall be shunned!!
i'm shunning you!!!
do you feel bad yet??
ok i forgive you :p

Beach Comber
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, I do feel so terrible - hehehehehe
By the way, I like mac and cheese :p

Sudonim
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM

How much would you have paid for a hint to a certain locomotive in Waterville????:p

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
I'll beat his price by %5!!

Beach Comber
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, it's hard to say - the price I paid is still being calculated - LOL - Let's see.......

- gas
- wear and tear on the car
- begging and pleading for help
- whining

Oops - looks like all of you had to pay the price for me taking so long to find that cache too - hehehehe

LaughingTerry
04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I agree with this as well. There is no reason to do this. I'm sure sometimes it's done in fun, and a joking manner...but still. A cacher should feel free to tell us about their adventure, but they should leave other people's adventure out of it. It's not theirs to tell anyway. This happened very recently on one of my caches. Not only did the person put down a previous DNF cacher, they also proceeded to down the way that I hid it, saying something to the effect of, "I looked for it the way I would have done it." I'm sad to report that the DNF cacher hasn't been back. :(

That was me and Shewolf will be back. Honest. LOL I actually called her from the cache to let her know I got it. In her defense she really hates micros and does not like to stick her hands where she can't see them. LOL That'll teach her to try to get a FTF without me. Oh, wait, I did that to her too. LOL

Also Cameooo, I apologize if you took my remark about "the way I would have done it" wrong. You should know by now I have an evil, warped mind. All I meant was that I would have fabricated something that looked like a piece of the equipment and that's what I was looking for. Your hide was just find and it took me probably 20 minutes to find. Someone with less of a devious nature will probably find it in just a couple minutes.

Cache Maine
04-11-2006, 07:52 AM
That was me and Shewolf will be back. Honest. LOL I actually called her from the cache to let her know I got it. In her defense she really hates micros and does not like to stick her hands where she can't see them. LOL That'll teach her to try to get a FTF without me. Oh, wait, I did that to her too. LOL

Also Cameooo, I apologize if you took my remark about "the way I would have done it" wrong. You should know by now I have an evil, warped mind. All I meant was that I would have fabricated something that looked like a piece of the equipment and that's what I was looking for. Your hide was just find and it took me probably 20 minutes to find. Someone with less of a devious nature will probably find it in just a couple minutes.

I appreciate your post. I have a great deal of respect for you and your hides and enjoy looking for them. I'm kinda pleased that this new cache is a stretch for some cachers, both new and experienced. I just wish it would stay dry!

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 09:01 AM

Hmmm . . . I've still got to go back and try for that a second time.

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM

Geez Louise . . . I DNFed and I never even got a hint from Hiram. :)

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
. . . I need to be careful when I use words like "always" and "never" - I get burned most every time ;)

My advice is to run it under cool water for 10-15 minutes . . . unless you're Hiram in which case I would say to run it under a cool Fosters for 10-15 minutes, making sure to take a swig every 20-30 seconds to make sure the Fosters is still cool. :)

Hiram357
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
My advice is to run it under cool water for 10-15 minutes . . . unless you're Hiram in which case I would say to run it under a cool Fosters for 10-15 minutes, making sure to take a swig every 20-30 seconds to make sure the Fosters is still cool. :)

if that doesn't work i usually run myself under cold fosters...

LaughingTerry
04-12-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm kinda pleased that this new cache is a stretch for some cachers, both new and experienced. I just wish it would stay dry!

I found the same type of cache yesterday and the owner just put it in a ziplock. I think that would work just fine for yours too. You could also get the 88 cent waterproof match container from Walmart and epoxy a magnet to it. I have a couple of those ready to place but just don't have time right now.

LaughingTerry
04-12-2006, 12:13 AM

I'll give it away for free.............................................

IT'S IN THE SOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firefighterjake
04-12-2006, 05:56 AM
I found the same type of cache yesterday and the owner just put it in a ziplock. I think that would work just fine for yours too. You could also get the 88 cent waterproof match container from Walmart and epoxy a magnet to it. I have a couple of those ready to place but just don't have time right now.

Speaking of magnets . . . where is a good source to find magnets? Of course I'm just asking this out of curiosity since I obviously would not be interested in using them to construct a micro. :rolleyes:

Haffy
04-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Like I mentioned in my thread and Terry in his, Wally World has quite a selection of magnets in the craft section where those small baggies are also located.

firefighterjake
04-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Like I mentioned in my thread and Terry in his, Wally World has quite a selection of magnets in the craft section where those small baggies are also located.

Oops. I missed those responses on baggies for some reason. Thanks for the response though John and for putting up with me . . . it appears as though I'm missing more than just some illusive micros . . . now I'm missing responses to my own threads and questions. :)

brdad
04-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Speaking of magnets . . . where is a good source to find magnets? Of course I'm just asking this out of curiosity since I obviously would not be interested in using them to construct a micro. :rolleyes:

Locally, Bangor Hardware has a selection from tiny ones to some large enough to hang an ammo box (Don't think I haven't thought of doing that!). I get the 3/4 inch round ceramic magnets for my photo marbles at either of the craft stores on Stilwater Ave. If you have an old hard drive, you can take them apart for some super strong neodymium magnets.

RubiconJW
04-12-2006, 07:07 AM
I grabbed a couple plastic key cases with a stout magnet for micros. They were sumpin like $1.29 at the local hardware store. I also have a few plastic 35mm film cans in the mix. Now to find a good local opportunity...

JW

firefighterjake
04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Locally, Bangor Hardware has a selection from tiny ones to some large enough to hang an ammo box (Don't think I haven't thought of doing that!). I get the 3/4 inch round ceramic magnets for my photo marbles at either of the craft stores on Stilwater Ave. If you have an old hard drive, you can take them apart for some super strong neodymium magnets.

Wicked. I might have to stop by Bangor Hardware today then . . . I like the folks there and I have an idea that requires a magnet . . . a very specific shape magnet so if they don't have it there I'll check the craft places on Stillwater. Thanks BrDad.

LaughingTerry
04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I have a place online to get magnets the size of a nickle that will hold 10 pounds. I got a pack of them and it is unreal how strong they are. I got a blood blister from two of them. When I get back home to my other computer I will post the URL.

firefighterjake
04-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I have a place online to get magnets the size of a nickle that will hold 10 pounds. I got a pack of them and it is unreal how strong they are. I got a blood blister from two of them. When I get back home to my other computer I will post the URL.

I'd be interested in seeing the link.

Smitty & Co.
04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25593&GAWNRE

They seem to have it all. :)

The G Team
04-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Tear apart some old hard drives--really powerful magnets inside, small and flat--perfect for micros (or holding lots of papers on the fridge--warning, this is also one of the final warning signs that yes, you may indeed be a geek). :o

Opps, Dave already suggested this--oh well, it *is* a good source for free magnets.

Hiram357
04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Tear apart some old hard drives--really powerful magnets inside, small and flat--perfect for micros (or holding lots of papers on the fridge--warning, this is also one of the final warning signs that yes, you may indeed be a geek). :o

Opps, Dave already suggested this--oh well, it *is* a good source for free magnets.

Haha! Dave's a geek!!! glad i didn't mention that one :p

LaughingTerry
04-14-2006, 03:25 AM
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

I got the magnets the size of a nickle and they are STRONG....

steverph
04-14-2006, 11:13 AM
If I make a serious attempt at a cache and strike out, I log a DNF. I logged 2 DNF's in one day for Laughing Terry's first "In Plain Sight" cache!! I thought I owed it to him for being so clever. A note might be more appropriate at times.

I spent this week in Atlanta and tried to find 4 caches near our location. My first attempt at caching outside of Maine but mostly urban micros. Found 2, logged a DNF on one due to muggles (who hides a cache in front of a supermarket anyhow??:rolleyes: ) and posted a note on one. The cache was at a "cement pond" with fountains and goldfish in front of an office building. The cache description warned about nesting geese in the springtime and sure enough the site was roped off with warning signs. Nesting geese are worse than charging moose:D. I thought a note reinforcing the goose warning was OK as the cache owner noted that springtime was not the best to attempt this one.

Hey, it's only a game...right??