View Full Version : Caches along a Route

Haffy
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Just found this site made by a cacher called Clan Barron,( I think I have a sig item from him, a little sandal). Anyway it is for plotting caches along a route and he has used I-95 from Kittery to Houlton as his route in Maine.

All I did was scroll down to I-95 and then to Maine and copied the coordinates that were listed. Then went to GSAK and pasted the coordinates to the arc/poly filter and used 1 mile as my distance for my database of unfound Maine caches and came up with 35 caches within 1 mile of I-95 that I havent found. I thought it was pretty cool. You of course could use more than the 1 mile distance but that was just a test to see how it would work and it worked great.

So if any of you are interested to see how it works for you, this is the URL for his site:

http://home.comcast.net/~barron_geocachers/

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
We did this last summer when we went to Illinois, and I know Parmachenee has done it as well. Works great!

But it only works well for paperless cachers, who can load the same filtered GSAK file onto their PDA as well as their GPSr.

But remember, if you're going on a long trip, you're limited to 5 pocket queries per day, so you may have to spend a few days downloading waypoints along your route.

Thanks for bringing this up again, Haffy! Would be a good discussion topic for the next event.

:D :D :D

Slate
04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
It's a great feature! We have used it several times to find caches along a route while traveling. We used it when we were out in California last fall to find all the caches along our route from LAX up to Santa Barbara. Quick way to filter from a couple thousand caches to less than a hundred we were more likely to find.

Starzz
04-07-2006, 09:43 AM
How do you get/make one of these arc files anyway??

Haffy
04-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey Sue, here is a tutorial using Microsoft Streets & Trips and I would think it would work pretty much the same using any one of the other mapping programs.

http://www.craiggiven.com/gc_st2gpx_df.htm

WhereRWe?
04-07-2006, 12:16 PM
How do you get/make one of these arc files anyway??

What mapping software are you using?

The tutorial Haffy cited is good, but pretty involved. Let me explain in a few easy steps which will put the process in context, then you can go through the tutorial with a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

1. Get your waypoints. Do pocket queries along the route you're taking using ZIP codes or known waypoints along the route. Load the waypoints into
GSAK.

2. Determine your map route. Use your mapping software to select coordinates along the route and plug them into GSAK (arc/line option) as shown in the tutorial. (I use Delorme's Street Atlas)

3. Export the filtered waypoints to your map software/GPSr/PDA and you'll have a set of waypoints along the route.

:D :D

Starzz
04-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I am using Mapsource Metroguide North America v4, Metroguide Canada v4, and Topo Canada v2.

Thanks for the help. I will try doing them tonight when I have more time. Will let you know how I do.

Sue

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I like to do what I call "wander caching" where I pick a general area where I want go caching, I go to that area and put my coords into GSAK, then I go to the closest one, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache (are you actually reading all of this?) and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache,then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, then I go to the closest cache to that cache, then I find that cache, then I go to the next closest cache and find that cache, well, you get the idea...

Sudonim
04-09-2006, 11:23 AM
...but what do you do after that???:p

Mainiac1957
04-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Don't encourge him.

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 11:41 AM
...but what do you do after that???:p

well after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then (I stop at a bar... or two) after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then (I call the wife so I can get yelled at for being gone all day) after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then after I find the cache I set out to find and have found it, then I go back to the mobil command center (the jeep) and set my current location in GSAK and then find the nearest cache to my current location, Then I go to that nearest cache, and then I go home and log all my caches. :D

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't encourge him.

lack of attention could be encouraging too... :p:D:rolleyes:

robt
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Usually when I am going ot go out caching I will acctually export all the caches from Gsak to delorme and then create a route for where I want to go and see how many I can or want to find :) Ok so I am adicted to my toys:D :D :D :D The other thing I will do is when I am leaving work and I want to get some of the new goecaches I will enter them in the zoom out on my GPS and randomly go out from there as i see them enter my route.

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Usually when I am going ot go out caching I will acctually export all the caches from Gsak to delorme and then create a route for where I want to go and see how many I can or want to find :) Ok so I am adicted to my toys:D :D :D :D The other thing I will do is when I am leaving work and I want to get some of the new goecaches I will enter them in the zoom out on my GPS and randomly go out from there as i see them enter my route.

how do you export the coords from GSAK to Delorme?? is that a feature for only the Delorme prog or can I do it with MS Streets and Trips??

robt
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
how do you export the coords from GSAK to Delorme?? is that a feature for only the Delorme prog or can I do it with MS Streets and Trips??

The feature is under File, Export then delorme format I belive, I am sorry that I can not tell if they have an export for mickeysoft but PM me and i will try to check when I get home from work tonight.

Gsak supports alot of export formats that can be very handy for caching. Right now I export my waypoints in magellan smart card format and download them to the card and load them into the GPS that way. I really and easy way to do it without fussing with hooking up the GPS. I use the export to HTML to create webpages of the caches for use on my PDA.

WhereRWe?
04-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Yes - GSAK will export to MS Streets & Trips. In GSAK, click on file/export and you'll see it listed. Export the file to your desktop.

MSS&T probably works the same as Delorme: you load the .txt file as a "draw" file in your mapping software.

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
The feature is under File, Export then delorme format I belive, I am sorry that I can not tell if they have an export for mickeysoft but PM me and i will try to check when I get home from work tonight.

Gsak supports alot of export formats that can be very handy for caching. Right now I export my waypoints in magellan smart card format and download them to the card and load them into the GPS that way. I really and easy way to do it without fussing with hooking up the GPS. I use the export to HTML to create webpages of the caches for use on my PDA.

I've been messin around with it, and you can export to MS S&T Woo Hoo! learn somethin new every day! :D

robt
04-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I've been messin around with it, and you can export to MS S&T Woo Hoo! learn somethin new every day! :D

scarey ain't it :D :D :D you can teach an old dog new tricks :D :D :D

Mainiac1957
04-09-2006, 03:51 PM
1) Decide which waypoints you want, and use user flags on GSAK to make them a group.
2) Go to file, export, Street Atlas TXT. Be sure the begin note check box is checked. Also note where the file is being sent. ( Prefered location is to My Documents)
3) Click on the button to generate a file.
4) Open My Documents (or which ever location you’d sent it to)
5) It should be labeled sa map txt document
6) Open this file and you should see a list of all the waypoints between the words BEGIN NOTE and END
7) Highlight all the waypoints between BEGIN NOTE and END
8) Cut all the highlighted waypoints, and close this window as well as My Documents if it is still open.
9) Open My Computer on your start menu and find your C drive, then look for the DeLorme Docs folder.
10) Open the DeLorme Docs folder and find the folder named Mobile Maps.
11) Open Mobile Maps and look for the folder named Wpts Transfer
12) Open the file named XMapHHWptsSend
13) Where you see the words BEGIN SYMBOL place the cursor after the word symbol, and hit enter.
14) This will give you a new line so the cursor is between the BEGIN SYMBOL and END
15) Paste the previously cut wapoints into the documents at this time.
16) Go to file at the top of the page and click on save.
17) Now hot sync your PDA as you normally would and the waypoints SHOULD be there. If they are not then throw your PDA in the toilet and go back to paper. TY

Hope this does what you want.