View Full Version : Greetings from "DownEast"

RubiconJW
04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey Folks:

Just found this site a few days ago thru the "New England" forum.. Trolled a few posts & figured I may as well jump in & say Howdy!!

My name is Jon & I live in in Machias. Been into Geocaching for some time but don't get to go out much. I am the keeper of the "Roque Rocks" cache (GC274C).

Other hobbies are acoustic guitar, amateur radio & about any outdoor activity.

Looking fwd to chatting with you all. Happy caching.

JW

Starzz
04-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum JW! I am a bit further east than downeast! ;)
I think I'm headed to Machias this week sometime.

Great bunch of people here to hang out with. Enjoy the forum.

Sue

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Welcome!:D Is your name a Jeep reference????

Haffy
04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Welcome Ruby...lol ;) Couldn't resist. I have heard the Rogue Rocks cache is quite beautiful, I hope to get out that way sometime. :D

RubiconJW
04-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanx.. Hey Starzz.. if yer coming thru town & have a bit of time let's have a coffee / beer whatever face to face..

Hiram.. look for a historical reference to "Fosters Rubicon"...

Haffy6.. Coupla neat caches right here in Machias & Roque Rocks is abt 6 miles out of town.. couple other fairly local ones as well. 'twould make for a decent road trip before were over run with blackflys & tourists..LOL

--... ...-- JW

becket
04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
i love roque bluffs! i enjoyed finding this cache. welcome!

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanx.. Hey Starzz.. if yer coming thru town & have a bit of time let's have a coffee / beer whatever face to face..

Hiram.. look for a historical reference to "Fosters Rubicon"...

Haffy6.. Coupla neat caches right here in Machias & Roque Rocks is abt 6 miles out of town.. couple other fairly local ones as well. 'twould make for a decent road trip before were over run with blackflys & tourists..LOL

--... ...-- JW

Is that Austrailian for Jeep Beer!?!? :D:D:D

Team2hunt
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM

--... ...-- JW

Did I hear someone say ROADTRIP!! Welcome to the site. Glad that you found us.:) Can't wait to get to that part of the state and grab a few caches. I'll bring my navigator so I don't get lost.

Sallywag
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi JW,
You mention ham radio as another hobby. Caching and hamming seem to go together! I am WM1C. My husband is W1KX. Nice to see you here. Your call???

RubiconJW
04-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks again for the warm welcome folks... It's nice to find a decent board of geocachers based here in Maine. I've been the gauntlet of forums.. the good, the bad & the downright ugly!! Didn't have fun so didn't stick around... the ole adage of "grabbin yer toys & headin to new grounds".

Yes Hiram... I've hoisted a few "oilcans" but still a different reference..LOL

becket.. Thanx for checkin out the cache... it's near where I lived years ago.

Team2Hunt.. C'mon down.. we got a cheap motel for an overnighter or if yer into camping I got a 30 acre remote lot yer welcome to use or a lawn here in town if ya want to listen to the traffic all night..lol

Looks like a great board here folks.. Glad I joined up.

ETA.. Hey Sallywag.. I'm a common item on the KQ1L linked system.. Give me a shout.

--... ...-- de N1MLF ..JW..

firefighterjake
04-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum RubiconJW.

Hiram357
04-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes Hiram... I've hoisted a few "oilcans" but still a different reference..LOL

ok, all the analogies are starting to get too me, all I'm finding is information about jeeps, beer, and ceasar!!!! and now oilcans!?!?!?!:mad:

soooooo ceasar crossed the rubicon in his jeep cuz he was too drunk from all the fosters he drank, and all he wanted to do was get an oil change but pompey took it the wrong way because he had a chain of jiffy lubes but ceasar went to midas instead?!?!?!!?!:confused::confused::confused:

jake you always seem to have infinite wisdom of things that don't make sense, what do you make of all this???? :rolleyes::D

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 08:21 AM
ok, all the analogies are starting to get too me, all I'm finding is information about jeeps, beer, and ceasar!!!! and now oilcans!?!?!?!:mad:

soooooo ceasar crossed the rubicon in his jeep cuz he was too drunk from all the fosters he drank, and all he wanted to do was get an oil change but pompey took it the wrong way because he had a chain of jiffy lubes but ceasar went to midas instead?!?!?!!?!:confused::confused::confused:

jake you always seem to have infinite wisdom of things that don't make sense, what do you make of all this???? :rolleyes::D

You're close to the truth Hiram, but the reference is in fact that Ceasar was inebriated from drinking too many Fosters and that led him to try to cross the river Rubicon while driving a Honda Rubicon ATV. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that this was a very dumb thing to do and so he ended up getting stuck. He then went back to his camp, drank some more Fosters and returned with his Jeep Rubicon which he used to pull out the ATV. Unfortunately, the Honda ATV was water-logged and he needed to do several oil changes to get the water out of the engine so he could continue on his way to Rome.

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
. . . and now the rest of the story.

Colonel Benjamin Foster had enough. It was time to take a stand against British tyranny and he was the man to lead. The year was 1775. The place was Burnham Tavern in Machias. Foster was a natural leader, a man who knew he was the one to lead the local people to victory . . . and he had a plan. For some time Foster and others plotted against the British and thought long and hard on how they could aid the revolution taking place in the colonies.

Between Machias and Machiasport there is a small stream. Today it is known as Fosters Rubicon . . . but at the time it was most likely known by some other name (like King George's Small Stream, maybe.) It was there that Foster, the man born to be a leader in this revolution, challenged a band of men to follow him across the stream if they dared to take on the British and attempt to capture the British man-of-war ship the Margaretta.

Colonel Benjaim Foster made history that day because in fact this was the first naval battle of the American Revolutionary War . . . and it was a success. The men whipped into a patriotic fervor by Foster followed their leader across the stream, loaded into small boats and sloops and engaged the enemy. In the end they were victorious.

And now the real rest of the story . . . Foster, the natural leader, the true patriot, the man who inspired the men to take on the British that day . . . well, he never made it to the battle. You see, Foster may have been a great motivational speaker, but he was a lousy seaman (or maybe it was just plain bad luck.) I say this because the sloop commanded by Foster that day ran aground and Foster never got to see any action . . . the honor of capturing the Margaretta went to Jeremiah O'Brien.

And that, my dear Hiram, is the rest of the story. :)

RubiconJW
04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
..And to this day a stone & plaque are placed alongside the road marking this location and the starting point for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771)
A cool 3 stage multi around the town.

JW

firefighterjake
04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
..And to this day a stone & plaque are placed alongside the road marking this location and the starting point for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ecb8591-f036-48c1-8463-0f9da1ce9771)
A cool 3 stage multi around the town.

JW

So do I get a FTF (First to Figure) Prize for solving the mystery of the Foster's Rubicon? :D

Hiram357
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
. . . and now the rest of the story.

Colonel Benjamin Foster had enough. It was time to take a stand against British tyranny and he was the man to lead. The year was 1775. The place was Burnham Tavern in Machias. Foster was a natural leader, a man who knew he was the one to lead the local people to victory . . . and he had a plan. For some time Foster and others plotted against the British and thought long and hard on how they could aid the revolution taking place in the colonies.

Between Machias and Machiasport there is a small stream. Today it is known as Fosters Rubicon . . . but at the time it was most likely known by some other name (like King George's Small Stream, maybe.) It was there that Foster, the man born to be a leader in this revolution, challenged a band of men to follow him across the stream if they dared to take on the British and attempt to capture the British man-of-war ship the Margaretta.

Colonel Benjaim Foster made history that day because in fact this was the first naval battle of the American Revolutionary War . . . and it was a success. The men whipped into a patriotic fervor by Foster followed their leader across the stream, loaded into small boats and sloops and engaged the enemy. In the end they were victorious.

And now the real rest of the story . . . Foster, the natural leader, the true patriot, the man who inspired the men to take on the British that day . . . well, he never made it to the battle. You see, Foster may have been a great motivational speaker, but he was a lousy seaman (or maybe it was just plain bad luck.) I say this because the sloop commanded by Foster that day ran aground and Foster never got to see any action . . . the honor of capturing the Margaretta went to Jeremiah O'Brien.

And that, my dear Hiram, is the rest of the story. :)

hahaha I knew you would have an answer, Ya know who comes to mind when you come up with those clever answers??? Wilson from the old t.v. show with Tim Allen "Home Improvement" haha I could see it now, peering over the fence... "Well Tim, Ceasar actually didn't cross the river with ATV..." :D:D:D

Hiram357
04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
isn't there a cache called fosters solitude??? any relation?

jeepingirl2
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Welcome aboard from one Rubicon to another!

Hiram357
04-11-2006, 07:44 PM

(pssssss.... it's not the same thing... the rubicon they're talking about is a river of beer that ceasar made...)

Hiram357
04-11-2006, 07:45 PM

are those bushwhacker flares or am i just seein the pic fuzzy?

Bar Hiker
04-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Welcome JW,
I'm originally from Pembroke but spent a lot of time in Machias. I don't get up that way much anymore but it'll aways be home to me.
BH