View Full Version : GSAK help for newbies or you

Haffy
04-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Thought this would be a good way to introduce someone to the benefits of GSAk and all it has to offer.

http://miragee.blogspot.com/2006/01/quick-gsak-tutorial-by-non-power-user.html

WhereRWe?
04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Thought this would be a good way to introduce someone to the benefits of GSAk and all it has to offer.

http://miragee.blogspot.com/2006/01/quick-gsak-tutorial-by-non-power-user.html

Wow! This a good one. :D :D :D

FuddsGirls
04-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Never heard of it but it looks neat. Now I'll have to take some time with it. Thanks for posting this.:D

WhereRWe?
04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Never heard of it but it looks neat. Now I'll have to take some time with it. Thanks for posting this.:D

Never heard of GASK? Sheesh! How can you go caching without it! It's really a great tool. Worth the price. Get it. :D :D

Hiram357
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
that's a really good quick start... but I'm still having trouble exporting files to MS Streets & Trips and to Nat. Geo. TOPO!.... GSAK won't create a file that is recognized by those programs, it comes close, but the extensions are like a letter off *.TRP or somethin goofy like that when it needs be somethin like *.TOP :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 07:47 AM
that's a really good quick start... but I'm still having trouble exporting files to MS Streets & Trips and to Nat. Geo. TOPO!.... GSAK won't create a file that is recognized by those programs, it comes close, but the extensions are like a letter off *.TRP or somethin goofy like that when it needs be somethin like *.TOP :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not familiar with either program, but it sounds like you're looking for a different file than the waypoint files exported by GSAK. It exports a .TXT file for MS S&T, and a .TPG file for Nat Geo Topo. GSAK will place the file at your preferred location (desktop or documents), and then you import to your program.

Not sure what the problem is... :confused: :confused:

Hiram357
04-15-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm not familiar with either program, but it sounds like you're looking for a different file than the waypoint files exported by GSAK. It exports a .TXT file for MS S&T, and a .TPG file for Nat Geo Topo. GSAK will place the file at your preferred location (desktop or documents), and then you import to your program.

Not sure what the problem is... :confused: :confused:

the file that is created by GSAK isn't recognized by either of my programs...

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 09:42 AM
the file that is created by GSAK isn't recognized by either of my programs...

Well, sheesh! Get rid of them and get Garmin or Delorme! LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FuddsGirls
04-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Never heard of GASK? Sheesh! How can you go caching without it! It's really a great tool. Worth the price. Get it. :D :D
I thought I only needed a GPS and coordinates. Hey, there's lots to learn and events to learn them at!;)

attroll
04-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I thought I only needed a GPS and coordinates. Hey, there's lots to learn and events to learn them at!;)
Once you have used GSAK you will never use anythign else.

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 10:39 AM

We're talking about the GSAK (http://www.gsak.net/) cache management software, which alows us to export sets of waypoints to our GPSr, a PDA (if you're a "paperless" cacher) where most of us use Cachemate (http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/) instead of paper, or to your laptop computers.

Then there are the mapping programs - Delorme's (http://www.delorme.com/software.htm) Street Atlas and Topo USA are popular, but Hiram is using Microsoft's Streets & Trips (http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx) and National Geographic's Topo mapping software.

I use Garmin's City Select (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselect.jsp) mapping software on my GPSr - great for routing you right to a cache! :D :D

Now are you THOROUGHLY overwhelmed? LOL!

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 10:41 AM

You should also go to the event being held at the end of the month and get some of the experienced cachers to demonstrate their different systems for you.

:D :D

Hiram357
04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Well, sheesh! Get rid of them and get Garmin or Delorme! LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but i like both of the programs :( I've never gotten lost with MS S&T (it's even succesfully navigated me around Boston many times!!!!) and I love NG TOPO! I have the 3D mapping upgrades, and the New England States upgrades, that's proven itself to be a useful tool many times, especially with the 3D images(thats just downright cool) :)

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 11:02 AM
but i like both of the programs :( I've never gotten lost with MS S&T (it's even succesfully navigated me around Boston many times!!!!) and I love NG TOPO! I have the 3D mapping upgrades, and the New England States upgrades, that's proven itself to be a useful tool many times, especially with the 3D images(thats just downright cool) :)

But does it show you where the nearest tavern is? Garmin's City Select does! :D :D

Hiram357
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
But does it show you where the nearest tavern is? Garmin's City Select does! :D :D

Yes actually it does... (but that usually isn't needed, I just follow my nose, I can smell a beer from a mile away) :D

FuddsGirls
04-15-2006, 01:12 PM
You should also go to the event being held at the end of the month and get some of the experienced cachers to demonstrate their different systems for you.

:D :DI am planning on attending the Mt Ag event and the Pig Roast event. A friend of mine already talked me into that.:D I use Mapsourse TOPO and have been reading different threads on different options to confuse me. Someone should point people this way before we buy so we know our options from cachers and not people trying to just sell anything.

WhereRWe?
04-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I am planning on attending the Mt Ag event and the Pig Roast event. A friend of mine already talked me into that.:D I use Mapsourse TOPO and have been reading different threads on different options to confuse me. Someone should point people this way before we buy so we know our options from cachers and not people trying to just sell anything.

Actually, the only things you need to go geocaching are a GPSr and a computer. Anything else is just add-on/upgrading. Most people hear about geocaching, buy a GPSr, and THEN find this site and realize there's a lot of knowledge and assistance available - and we're not trying to sell anything! LOL!

:D :D

Slate
04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Has anybody upgraded their GSAK and figured out the best way to deal with the additional "children" waypoints? It looks like there are several way to name the waypoints for the export to your GPS. I guess I will just have to try a couple of exports and see how it works.

Slate
04-18-2006, 04:35 PM

I must be using an older version of NG Topo, because I have never had any problems exporting from GSAK. I use it all the time to see where caches are located. My version of Topo uses .tpo to save tracks and .tpg to save waypoints.

Hiram357
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I must be using an older version of NG Topo, because I have never had any problems exporting from GSAK. I use it all the time to see where caches are located. My version of Topo uses .tpo to save tracks and .tpg to save waypoints.

Tat helped me out, I was trying to open the file instead of importing it.... :rolleyes:

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 12:15 AM
When I import a PQ from GC.com, the maximum number of waypoints I can get is 500. If I want to make a database in GSAK for the entire state of Maine, I have to import several PQ's. When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my GPS and want to do the transfer of data to my GPS and my iPAQ with minimal steps. I am spending waaaaaaaay too much time these days on that aspect of caching. I'd rather be walking in the woods or scoping out caches on the beach!

I welcome any/all information you want to share about GSAK functions and abilities. I am also struggling with the whole Caches along a Route process as well and welcome guidance on that!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-09-2006, 05:47 AM
When I import a PQ from GC.com, the maximum number of waypoints I can get is 500. If I want to make a database in GSAK for the entire state of Maine, I have to import several PQ's. When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my GPS and want to do the transfer of data to my GPS and my iPAQ with minimal steps. I am spending waaaaaaaay too much time these days on that aspect of caching. I'd rather be walking in the woods or scoping out caches on the beach!

I welcome any/all information you want to share about GSAK functions and abilities. I am also struggling with the whole Caches along a Route process as well and welcome guidance on that!

Thanks in advance for your help!

When I load GPX files from the menu, it brings up an "options" page. Make sure the Advanced tab is clicked. In the middle of that page it ask about updating the existing database; "Database Update Options. There is an option that says "Add Only". Is this what your looking for?

Hope this helps.

Cache On!!!!

WhereRWe?
07-09-2006, 06:20 AM
When I try to load them into the database I have created in GSAK to house the Maine waypoints, it overwrites, rather than adding the newly imported waypoints to the existing list that is there. Any suggestions?

Saw Trezur's response, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to overwrite existing waypoints in GSAK. What you're gettting is updated information - which is good. Right? :confused: :confused:

Haffy
07-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure what you mean Beachy. I keep a database of all my unfound Maine caches. In my instance it takes me 2 PQ's to get all my unfound Maine caches. Then when I download to Cachemate I just go to the unfound Maine cache database and get I think it is for me now 700 and some odd caches,all with descriptions and the like. My Vista holds 1000 waypoints so I just usually export from GSAK into Mapsource and then from there I transfer all the waypoints to the Vista from Mapsource. It only takes about 5 minutes max to do all of this minus the time it takes to update my PQ's which I usually do everytime I go out caching and that only takes about 5 minutes as well. Hope that helps yah sweetie.......:D

Haffy
07-09-2006, 10:06 AM
As far as caches along a route,I havent used that function yet . I did notice that there are a lot more people adding their routes to the database so keep looking back to there to see if any route has been added that you would use. Or better yet ask someone who is familiar in making routes to add one that you would like to use. I'm sure it can't be too hard. I use mapsource and if you want ,give me a route and I'll try and come up with something that you would want to use. It's fun playing around with it anyway and I might learn something about it as well. :)

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 10:28 AM
When I load GPX files from the menu, it brings up an "options" page. Make sure the Advanced tab is clicked. In the middle of that page it ask about updating the existing database; "Database Update Options. There is an option that says "Add Only". Is this what your looking for?

Hope this helps.

Cache On!!!!

Perfect!! That is exactly what I wanted! Thanks a million.

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Saw Trezur's response, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to overwrite existing waypoints in GSAK. What you're gettting is updated information - which is good. Right? :confused: :confused:

You're right - I do want to overwrite data when I bring in updated PQ's, but since I can't include all the waypoints that I want in one PQ, I have to run 2. The info that Steve gave me will let me to house it in one database rather than 2, which will make it easier for export.

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure what you mean Beachy. I keep a database of all my unfound Maine caches. In my instance it takes me 2 PQ's to get all my unfound Maine caches. Then when I download to Cachemate I just go to the unfound Maine cache database and get I think it is for me now 700 and some odd caches,all with descriptions and the like. My Vista holds 1000 waypoints so I just usually export from GSAK into Mapsource and then from there I transfer all the waypoints to the Vista from Mapsource. It only takes about 5 minutes max to do all of this minus the time it takes to update my PQ's which I usually do everytime I go out caching and that only takes about 5 minutes as well. Hope that helps yah sweetie.......:D

What paramteters to you use to get all in 2 PQ's? Do you use 2 different zip codes? If so, which do you use? If not, what works for you?

How did you make it possible to do that? There must be an update that I didn't do - I still only have 500.

Do you use install mapsource on your GPS or do you use what it came with?

Is there an advantage for doing it this way? I transfer waypoinnts directly to my GPS from GSAK. I export info to microsoft streets and trips from GSAK as well. I'm still having trouble with the mapping software on my iPAQ, but I use MS S&T to look at what is available when I am planning my time.

You betcha!! Thanks a million!!:D :D :D

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 10:38 AM
As far as caches along a route,I havent used that function yet . I did notice that there are a lot more people adding their routes to the database so keep looking back to there to see if any route has been added that you would use. Or better yet ask someone who is familiar in making routes to add one that you would like to use. I'm sure it can't be too hard. I use mapsource and if you want ,give me a route and I'll try and come up with something that you would want to use. It's fun playing around with it anyway and I might learn something about it as well. :)

Anyone out there creating a route? If so, any tips you can offer will be much appreciated! I have looked at the ones that are already established, but nothing has matched my need so far.

Haffy
07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
What route are you looking for?

Haffy
07-09-2006, 10:49 AM
What paramteters to you use to get all in 2 PQ's? Do you use 2 different zip codes? If so, which do you use? If not, what works for you?

How did you make it possible to do that? There must be an update that I didn't do - I still only have 500.

Do you use install mapsource on your GPS or do you use what it came with?

Is there an advantage for doing it this way? I transfer waypoinnts directly to my GPS from GSAK. I export info to microsoft streets and trips from GSAK as well. I'm still having trouble with the mapping software on my iPAQ, but I use MS S&T to look at what is available when I am planning my time.

You betcha!! Thanks a million!!:D :D :D

I use the date placed by and the center point as my home for my pocket q's. I use Jan 03 to Dec 05 and Jan 06 to Dec 08. ,that gives me all of them within the 250 mile radius that I use.

I have firmware update 3.60 for the Vista

TRF had an extra unlock code for Mapsource V 6 and gave it to me,,,what a nice guy huh?

I don't know if there is any advantage to it, it just saves me an extra step that's all. If I do the export to Mapsource from GSAK it will do all the rest for me when I just do the transfer from Mapsource.

Haffy
07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
By the way how do you separate the quotes in answering others questions anyway?

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 11:00 AM
What route are you looking for?

I was looking for:
Portland to Wakefield, MA
Portland to St. Albans, VT
Portland to Hampton Bays, NY

I don't need them right away - just that those are trips I would be likely to take. I would also use in Maine and the route would change so if I know how to set one up I would do that each time.

Beach Comber
07-09-2006, 11:01 AM

I change the color of the text in the quote itself and then pose my question using the same color. That way you would know which part of the quote I was refering to.

Cache Maine
07-09-2006, 01:15 PM

Haffy, you can also do it this way. Sometimes when I respond to two or three people, this is what it looks like. This is done with quote tags. The one at the beginning looks like this....
(remove the astericks) and the one ending the quote looks like this [/quote*]. (remove the asterick) Hope this helps! :)

[quote=Cacher 1]I have a question.
I have an answer.

I have another question.
I have an another answer.

I have a question for Cacher 1.
I guess you should ask Cacher 1 then.