View Full Version : Kayak Sunday 23rd

Kaching Karen
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Okay, here is the plan... I think. Meet at the East Side Landing in Augusta at 11:00. Don't know where it is? Check out the parking coordinates for "MumsBee." That's where we'll put in. While some of us are shuttling cars to the Gardiner Landing the others can look for the cache. It's a multi, but doesn't take that long.
We'll head to Hallowell. I think that's about an hour to an hour and a half. It's been a long time since I've done that and the tide may be with us or against us. At the Hallowell boat landing we can take a rest and meet anyone that wants to do a shorter trip. From there we'll continue to Bad Rock Cache just north of Gardiner. It's on an island. When we get to Gardiner, we can load the boats, look for the Gardiner Landing cache and head for FOOD (picking up the other cars along the way).
I need to do some research to get the times down a little. I'm in Seattle right now and will be home late Thursday. Anyone able to help with the times? I highly recommend a wet suit and a skirt on your kayak. :) It will be cold if you land in the water! :eek:

DiverDave1998
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
i would love to go but have to work at 3

Sudonim
04-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Yay, a Sunday event! I might be able to make this one.

Tides for Augusta on Sunday the 23th:

6:45 am Low tide
11:34am High tide
7:26pm Low tide

Any time after around 10-10:30 am the tide should be almost slack, or going the right direction.

DiverDave1998
04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
karen will u take me?

tat
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I sure would like to go, but I need to finish my boat first! It's real close!

Haffy
04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
karen will u take me?

Dave I think you will have to ask T2H on that one.:D

Team2hunt
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Karen since we are caching along the way. Are you going to make this an event? And list it on GC.com. :cool: I'm in for whatever we decide, espicially the FOOD thing.

kayakerinme
04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
If you're taking attendance, I'll be along for the flotillla. If my older son doesn't have work, he'd like to come along as well. See you Sunday!:D

Sudonim
04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Looks like PedalChick and I will be there:D

attroll
04-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Karen

You might want to check the tides because that is tidal water and it looks like the river will be low during that time. High tide looks to be at 08:31 and low at 15:13. So if you leave at about 11 am you will be catching it is half way our. The waters are low this year. So I donít know how this will be. We have put our kayaks in at Fort Western in Augusta and paddled to Gardiner a couple of times. That trip was less then one hour and that was taking our time and goofing off. The east side you are referring to is bellow Fort Western. This may be a shorter trip then you realize. I wish Tink and I could make this trip. But we have committed ourselves to her parents wedding anniversary dinner in New Hampshire.

firefighterjake
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Karen

I wish Tink and I could make this trip. But we have committed ourselves to her parents wedding anniversary dinner in New Hampshire.

Now where are you priorities? ;) :D

Sudonim
04-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Karen

You might want to check the tides because that is tidal water and it looks like the river will be low during that time. High tide looks to be at 08:31 and low at 15:13. So if you leave at about 11 am you will be catching it is half way our.

I've checked 2 on-line tide charts and high tide in Augusta is showing 11:34am on Sunday the 23rd.
http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/calendar/month/272.html

attroll
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I've checked 2 on-line tide charts and high tide in Augusta is showing 11:34am on Sunday the 23rd.
http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/calendar/month/272.html
That is quite a difference from the chart I looked at. Here is the chart I looked at http://www.maineharbors.com/aprbat06.htm. I know that there may be a little difference being up river but I don't think it is that much of a difference. I don't know which chart is right.

Sudonim
04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Rick, that chart is for Bath, at the mouth of the river. The current pushes the tide, changing the times upriver. The 2 charts I looked up were corrected for Augusta. The further down the river you travel, the closer to the Bath times you get.
(I can never figure out the tides when they give you Portland and say correct x.xx minutes for your position, I just try to find a chart for my exact spot)

attroll
04-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Rick, that chart is for Bath, at the mouth of the river. The current pushes the tide, changing the times upriver. The 2 charts I looked up were corrected for Augusta. The further down the river you travel, the closer to the Bath times you get.
(I can never figure out the tides when they give you Portland and say correct x.xx minutes for your position, I just try to find a chart for my exact spot)
I was aware of that Andy. But I did not think there would be a 3 1/2 hour difference. I thought there was only a one hour difference that I read somewhere.

Kaching Karen
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm back from Seattle. I keep threatening my son-in-law that I am going to move out there. People are so health oriented! And the scenery... my oh my.
I checked on the Kennebec today at Low tide and it's very doable. There's about 5-6 miles of paddling from Augusta and half of that from Hallowell. Now, let's just hope for good weather!