View Full Version : Back in circulation!!! YA!!

Smitty & Co.
04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
The Boothbay Register TB (TBG1W6) is now back in circulation after a long absence from the geocaching scene. It can be found at Pine Island Cache GCQ1BB Thanks tjgreaton for playing fair and doing the right thing. :D This would be a great TB for someone to grab and take to the Mt. Agamenticus Event on the 29th of this month. (hint hint) The Bug belongs to WhereRWe? & RULOST2?? and I know they will be happy :) to see it in a cache again. Persistence pays off Bruce, LOL

Here is a little info on this Bug:

Current GOAL: To travel anywhere, but especially to visit other newspaper reporters and encourage stories about geocaching.
About this item:
On October 27, 2004, we were accompanied by a reporter from the Boothbay Register while on a geocaching trip in the Boothbay Harbor, Maine area. The reporter loved geocaching, found several of the caches we searched for, and provided this engraved pocket knife to be used as a travel bug commemorating the trip. We know that this is probably a desireable keepsake, but since the reporter wants to be able to track the bug's progress, please allow it to continue on it's way. Thanks!

WhereRWe?
04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
And thanks to one of the Hiker Twins (Lynda) for helping to get it back on the road. :D :D

Hiram357
04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
so whats the story behind the disapperance of the TB?

FuddsGirls
04-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Question. I had a TB, our first, just disappear. It moved twice and was placed in a cache in NH in Feb. There it sat. There was no mention of the cache being muggled and the last several cachers didn't mention the TB until April 17 when one said it wasn't there. :confused: So maybe I shouldn't put out something nice. It was a Brunswick PD Community Policing coin. Looks like someone just took it and didn't log it. Do I just figure that those are the hazards of TB's?:mad:

WhereRWe?
04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
so whats the story behind the disapperance of the TB?

One cacher just picked it up from a cache and held onto it for 10 months. There has been a long line of emails and personal requests to get it released.

WhereRWe?
04-22-2006, 07:13 AM
It was a Brunswick PD Community Policing coin. Looks like someone just took it and didn't log it. Do I just figure that those are the hazards of TB's?:mad:

Yes - especially coins (And Jeep TB's!) :D :D

FuddsGirls
04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
That stinks. And we originally were going to send out 4 of those. Guess it won't do me ant good to contact to 2 or 3 cachers that were there right after it was placed.

Haffy
04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
It can't hurt to contact a few of the cachers who were there after it was reported missing. Some people just don't get out to cache very often and it just might be that they forgot they had it. I emailed a person who had picked up a TB that I had specifically sent to Europe with our own CachenJacksons and they had picked it up and brought it back to the states after being at just one cache in Europe. It seems they had indeed lost in in transit from one hotel to another before it even got back here to the states. I usually put a watch on all TB's that I have had the privilege to get a hold of and I would say 50% to 75% of them are misssing in action. Just the chance you take I guess.

Smitty & Co.
04-22-2006, 09:35 AM
That stinks. And we originally were going to send out 4 of those. Guess it won't do me ant good to contact to 2 or 3 cachers that were there right after it was placed.

Try contacting the last cacher to have it before they said they placed it. I think some cachers grab TB's because they like the looks of them for one reason or another and then they say they place them into another cache, even though no other cacher has seen it in the cache. (same as lying in my book) If they don't answer your emails or they are undeliverable, then you can pretty much assume that they still have it.
We released a coin a few months after we started caching and it made it to 2 caches before being "swiped" :eek: (88 miles total distance traveled) This cacher took his time to report "finding" it and logged that they would get it going soon, however, he also stated in this same log that his son was a coin collector and he really liked this coin. Needless to say, that coin never made it anywhere but to his son's collection. :( This cacher joined GC.com just days before this happened and has not been active since. My belief is that he joined just to be able to grab this coin, although he does have someone else's TB still in his possession, he only ever visited this one cache according to his GC.com profile. so he must have grabbed their bug and my coin in the same visit.:( I sent this man many emails and practically begged him to release the coin into another cache. Never heard a thing!! :confused: Finally my emails started coming back as "undeliverable" Go figure. :mad:

FuddsGirls
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Try contacting the last cacher to have it before they said they placed it. I think some cachers grab TB's because they like the looks of them for one reason or another and then they say they place them into another cache, even though no other cacher has seen it in the cache. (same as lying in my book)I did e-mail the couple of people who were to the cache afterwards but did that just today. I also just e-mailed one placed it. I see that s/he visited another cahe on the same day and logged that the TB was not in that cache.:eek:

Hiram357
04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
some people don't notice that the coins are trackable, the first coin i found i didnt know it was trackable until i got home... im more careful about what i pick up now, for the small trackables (without dog tags) they should really have some kind of container or attatchment so people know what they are.

firefighterjake
04-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes - especially coins (And Jeep TB's!) :D :D

Mea culpa on a Jeep . . . I took it, did the photo thing and then I temporarily lost it in my swag bag (about a bazillion pockets) before I got a reminder from Hiram asking about it . . . searched for it and I eventually released it. I now try to make a concerted effort to only take TBs when I can release them in a week or so and if I can help the TB achieve a goal or get closer to a goal.

firefighterjake
04-22-2006, 10:04 PM
My first TB still hasn't moved from the cache . . . at least according to GC.com. I was kind of hoping someone would have taken it by now since the cache is a new one in Bangor and has been visited several times since I released it. Surely someone would like to see Firefighterjake's famous Travel Bug, The Bangor Ladder . . . it's educational and it took me a while to build.

Hiram357
04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
My first TB still hasn't moved from the cache . . . at least according to GC.com. I was kind of hoping someone would have taken it by now since the cache is a new one in Bangor and has been visited several times since I released it. Surely someone would like to see Firefighterjake's famous Travel Bug, The Bangor Ladder . . . it's educational and it took me a while to build. what's the goal of it??? (for some reason im picuturing the goal of your TB... "to travel to the most educational places in maine and to retrieve a 3 page single spaced proofread 12font report about it's journey and to get pictures of it helping people along the way..."):rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

firefighterjake
04-23-2006, 07:45 PM
what's the goal of it??? (for some reason im picuturing the goal of your TB... "to travel to the most educational places in maine and to retrieve a 3 page single spaced proofread 12font report about it's journey and to get pictures of it helping people along the way..."):rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Owww . . . I was laughing so much that I fell out of my chair and hint my head on my desk. That's great . . . all I can think is that you must think I'm something of a cross between Cliff Claven, Beakman and an English professor! :D

Incidentally, the goal is to travel to any areas that have experienced a "Great Fire" (i.e. Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc.) or fire disasters. It's a pretty easy mission since nearly every city of any size has experienced a great fire.

Hiram357
04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Owww . . . I was laughing so much that I fell out of my chair and hint my head on my desk. That's great . . . all I can think is that you must think I'm something of a cross between Cliff Claven, Beakman and an English professor! :D

Incidentally, the goal is to travel to any areas that have experienced a "Great Fire" (i.e. Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc.) or fire disasters. It's a pretty easy mission since nearly every city of any size has experienced a great fire.

haha, hey i told ya, you remind me of wilson from "home improvement" you need to get a little fence with eyes behind it for your avatar... :D:D

FuddsGirls
04-24-2006, 06:32 AM
My first TB still hasn't moved from the cache . . . at least according to GC.com. .
I bet its gone. I noticed that when there is only one TB in a cache it doesn't seem to stay long. My missing TB was the only one in the cache and wasn't mentioned until it disapperared. My coin by the way was about the size of a silver dollar, glued in a plastic case and a dog tag attached. There was no question what it was to a cacher.

firefighterjake
04-24-2006, 08:56 AM
haha, hey i told ya, you remind me of wilson from "home improvement" you need to get a little fence with eyes behind it for your avatar... :D:D

And this is why I can never show my face at any geocaching event . . . because then the mysterious aura that surrounds me would be gone. :D Of course, I keep running into geocachers in the wild so some folks know what I look like . . . i.e. WhereRwe/Rulost2, noreasta, coolclay, TRF, Laughing Terry, Becket. Maybe I should start wearing a mask when I go geocaching . . . a mask like the Green Hornet or The Lone Ranger.

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
And this is why I can never show my face at any geocaching event . . . because then the mysterious aura that surrounds me would be gone. :D Of course, I keep running into geocachers in the wild so some folks know what I look like . . . i.e. WhereRwe/Rulost2, noreasta, coolclay, TRF, Laughing Terry, Becket. Maybe I should start wearing a mask when I go geocaching . . . a mask like the Green Hornet or The Lone Ranger.

just make a little fence out of popsicle sticks that you can hold in front of your face when people come near... :D

becket
04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
omg you guys are tooooo funny :D

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
omg you guys are tooooo funny :D

it's not funny becket... i was born this way.... :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
04-25-2006, 06:06 AM
it's not funny becket... i was born this way.... :rolleyes:

And you don't have an excuse since you're from "away" and don't have to worry that your father may have married his sister-cousin-aunt . . . which could explain why so many of us native Mainers look the way we do. :D

we3beans
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
FFJ quote
"Owww . . . I was laughing so much that I fell out of my chair and hint my head on my desk. That's great . . . all I can think is that you must think I'm something of a cross between Cliff Claven, Beakman and an English professor! :D "

So if you're Cliff, does that make Hiram Norm?

firefighterjake
04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
FFJ quote
"Owww . . . I was laughing so much that I fell out of my chair and hint my head on my desk. That's great . . . all I can think is that you must think I'm something of a cross between Cliff Claven, Beakman and an English professor! :D "

So if you're Cliff, does that make Hiram Norm?

An affinity for beer, a jocular nature, a guy folks like . . . yeah, seems like that fits Hiram to a T. :D

Haffy
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
An affinity for beer, a jocular nature, a guy folks like . . . yeah, seems like that fits Hiram to a T. :D

Who said we like him? ;)

FuddsGirls
04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Try contacting the last cacher to have it before they said they placed it. I think some cachers grab TB's because they like the looks of them for one reason or another and then they say they place them into another cache, even though no other cacher has seen it in the cache. (same as lying in my book) If they don't answer your emails or they are undeliverable, then you can pretty much assume that they still have it.
So I heard from 3 people who visited the cache after it was placed but still haven't heard from the one that said they placed our travel bug. Nice team. I did thank the ones who relpied for at least replying.

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
An affinity for beer, a jocular nature, a guy folks like . . . yeah, seems like that fits Hiram to a T. :D what the heck does jocular mean????

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Who said we like him? ;) you're just jealous...:rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
So I heard from 3 people who visited the cache after it was placed but still haven't heard from the one that said they placed our travel bug. Nice team. I did thank the ones who relpied for at least replying.

well if the emails dont work, we can all stay out to 3 in the mornin drinking and then go on a roadtrip pounding on the doors of eveyone whos been to that cache....:D

Sudonim
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
what the heck does jocular mean????
an athlete with a sense of humor?

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
an athlete with a sense of humor? phew... i thought it was some kinda rash or somethin.... (but where does he get the athelete idea??? possibly all the 12oz curls i do??):D:D:D

WhereRWe?
04-25-2006, 05:01 PM
phew... i thought it was some kinda rash or somethin.... (but where does he get the athelete idea??? possibly all the 12oz curls i do??):D:D:D

Sheesh! I'd bet the only curls you do are cheese flavored! :p :p

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Sheesh! I'd bet the only curls you do are cheese flavored! :p :p

hey now... i've been doing a 16oz workout for the last 20 minutes... :D

FuddsGirls
04-25-2006, 08:11 PM
well if the emails dont work, we can all stay out to 3 in the mornin drinking and then go on a roadtrip pounding on the doors of eveyone whos been to that cache....:DI gave up on the TB:( but drinking till 3 in the morning sounds good. Will it be Black and Tans or Home brews?:D

Hiram357
04-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I gave up on the TB:( but drinking till 3 in the morning sounds good. Will it be Black and Tans or Home brews?:D

the question should be restated as such... what won't it be...:D:D:D

firefighterjake
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
jocular = humorous, full of fun, joking, witty

Hiram357
04-26-2006, 05:10 PM
jocular = humorous, full of fun, joking, witty

well why couldnt ya just say that in the first place??? :rolleyes:

we3beans
04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Because it is way more fun for the rest of us when he gets you going
:-)

firefighterjake
04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
well why couldnt ya just say that in the first place??? :rolleyes:

Because I was thinking you are more like a jocular sort of guy . . . rather than full of fun, witty, humorous, etc. :D

It just seemed like the right word choice . . . plus in 11th grade we had this booklet entitled "Wordly Wise" and it had all these words in it with their definitions and there were various word problems (i.e. hot is to cold as black is to _____) and humorous, full of fun, jocular, depressing -- pick the word that does not fit) and because of that teacher I now have all these high-faluting words rolling around in my head and every once in awhile they just pop out and I use them . . . sometimes I use one and then I have to look it up to make sure I'm using it correctly (which I usually am incidentally.)

Kacky
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Back in circulation? Not for long. I went to get it today and it wasn't there. If someone grabbed it, they did not sign the log.

Smitty & Co.
04-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Back in circulation? Not for long. I went to get it today and it wasn't there. If someone grabbed it, they did not sign the log.

Darn..:( You should see it....really, its a very nice keepsake and anyone, would be tempted. I had it in my hands for just a couple days and treated it as I would want one of my TB's to be treated and sent it along on its mission. (Not all cachers do this however) :( :mad: :( I've already sent an email to the visitors that got to the cache before you did and just after the guy that says he put it there, whom I also sent another email that bounced back. It may just be time to give up on this one......sheesh, I'm not even the owner of it. :rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Darn..:( You should see it....really, its a very nice keepsake and anyone, would be tempted. I had it in my hands for just a couple days and treated it as I would want one of my TB's to be treated and sent it along on its mission. (Not all cachers do this however) :( :mad: :( I've already sent an email to the visitors that got to the cache before you did and just after the guy that says he put it there, whom I also sent another email that bounced back. It may just be time to give up on this one......sheesh, I'm not even the owner of it. :rolleyes:
what was the TB???

Smitty & Co.
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
what was the TB???

A very nice Swiss Army type pocketknife Engraved "Boothbay Register"

Hiram357
04-27-2006, 05:05 PM
A very nice Swiss Army type pocketknife Engraved "Boothbay Register"

yeah, i can see how that one would be tempting.... :(

Kacky
04-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Couldn't they have at least left the tags? :mad:

WhereRWe?
04-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, we might just have to give up on the Boothbay Register TB.

A cacher called tjgreaton from Wilton picked it up in June 05. One of the HikerTwins knows him, and has been trying to get him to release it. On April 21, he logged it into the Pine Island cache in Jay - although there was no mention of the TB in his cache log.

After enfanTerrible went to the cache yesterday and found it missing, I checked with another cacher who logged the logged the cache on April 22. I've corresponded with him, and he says the TB was not in the cache on the 22d, the day after it was supposedly placed there.

So...

We have several conclusions:

1. The TB was not placed in the cache by tjgreaton.
2. Someone else stopped by and grabbed the TB.
3. Since the cacher on April 22 was with a group of Boy Scouts, perhaps one of them grabbed it. (Being an Eagle Scout myself, I shudder to think that this would happen.)
4. Perhaps the TB never existed to begin with, and we're all hallucinating.

Sheesh! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Haffy
04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Well I too emailed the scout master and he said, Boy that TB must be really special cause I was the 4th person to contact him about it.:) I would suspect but this is just my thought, is that TJgreaton never put the TB into the cache to begin with but thats just speculation.

WhereRWe?
04-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Well I too emailed the scout master and he said, Boy that TB must be really special cause I was the 4th person to contact him about it.:) I would suspect but this is just my thought, is that TJgreaton never put the TB into the cache to begin with but thats just speculation.

We're thinking along the same lines... ;) ;)

Hiram357
04-27-2006, 08:42 PM
We're thinking along the same lines... ;) ;)

WOOO HOOO!!! IS IT TORCH AND PITCHFORK TIME!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! :D:D:D:D

Kacky
04-28-2006, 12:57 AM

Maybe not, but I admit I did check on eBay. :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
04-28-2006, 06:32 AM

I've got his name, address and phone number if anyone wants to go for it! LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
. . . 4. Perhaps the TB never existed to begin with, and we're all hallucinating.

Sheesh! :confused: :confused: :confused:

OK, show of hands please . . . who here has been eating the false morel/brain shroom/doo-die mushroom and hallucinating? :D

Hiram357
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
OK, show of hands please . . . who here has been eating the false morel/brain shroom/doo-die mushroom and hallucinating? :D

**slightly raises hand** :(:rolleyes::(
how do ya think i find all of LT's plain sight caches????

firefighterjake
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
**slightly raises hand** :(:rolleyes::(
how do ya think i find all of LT's plain sight caches????

So that's the secret . . . would you mind passing me a heaping helping of the psychelic doo-doo shroom? :D

Hiram357
04-28-2006, 08:18 PM
10-4 gooooooooooooooooooood budeeeeeeeee ooooohhhh wow!!!! look at the purpelephant TIGERS EVERYWHERE!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaughingTerry
05-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Maybe I should start wearing a mask when I go geocaching . . . a mask like the Green Hornet or The Lone Ranger.

You mean that wasn't a mask??????

firefighterjake
05-01-2006, 08:32 PM
You mean that wasn't a mask??????

:D OK, you got me . . . that was my Chris Farley mask that I had on when you met me.

Kacky
05-26-2006, 03:56 AM
It's done! Starring Gob-ler, Shewolf7153, LaughingTerry, my dad Skip and my nephew Tate. It airs in 2 parts Monday on CNN 1240, Auburn Maine. My Microsoft Frontpage refused to handle the files, so I will have you go to: http://kathyannscottage.tripod.com/

Mainiac1957
05-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Great story. It really puts caching in a good light. With some of the negative press we've received lately it's nice to see a positive way. Thanks.

Haffy
05-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Great story Kathy and the whole geocaching community thanks you for putting this activity in such a positive light and give it it's due positive credit that it deserves. It's great that someone in the geocaching community can have access to such ways to get out the good word and also good works that we as all geocachers strive to accomplish with CITO and other great things that we do for the communities that we are involved with.

So when is the next installment going to be now? :D :D :D Again thanks, and keep up the good work. Haffy

Kacky
05-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Uh Oh. Steve just heard it and he thinks I gave spoiler info on the Great Falls cache. Do you think I should revise? It's a huge hassle but I don't want to give away KG's secret.