View Full Version : Addicted to Geocoins.... How much would you pay?

Starzz
04-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Check out this Moun10bike coin going on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8408946587

A little bit too much?? ;)

WhereRWe?
04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Check out this Moun10bike coin going on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8408946587

A little bit too much?? ;)

You can guess my answer: Sheesh! :eek: :eek:

Mainiac1957
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Sounds to me like they are giving this guy some awful crap about selling it. Sounds like it's his to do with as he pleases. People are definitely taking this too serious.

WhereRWe?
04-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Sounds to me like they are giving this guy some awful crap about selling it. Sounds like it's his to do with as he pleases. People are definitely taking this too serious.

Yeah - and I checked out the current high bidder, who appears to be an active buyer of geocoins. It's his money...

Beach Comber
04-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Holy smokes!

attroll
04-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow I have one of his coins of a different style that did not cost me a dime.

Kacky
04-23-2006, 10:30 AM
I wonder why they would bother to add all of those silly notes. Harrassment almost always comes from other sellers who are jealous.

attroll
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I can not understand why someone would actually pay $2,175.00 for this coin. What is so special about it? Man I hope I can sell one of my coins for that much someday.

kayakerinme
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Without going into all the details, there are many who feel the coin is not this person's to sell. Using a recent example, how would you all feel if I decided to put up a firefighterjake ladder up on eBay? Some of you wouldn't care; others of you would be mightily upset. What makes Moun10Bike coins that much worse is that the coin itself is "owned" by Moun10Bike. It'd be like me finding a great TB and rather than passing it on, wanting to sell off this really valuable (insert your item such as a Beanie Baby, Lego figure, etc) that's attached to the TB tag. Moun10Bike has indicated that any of his coins sold will be dead and archived as a trackable item on GC.com.

What gets people really steamed is the dollar amount that these go for. It's hard to put a price on these but folks will pay big bucks for an original.

The disclaimer here is that I have Moun10Bike V1 and V2 coins so maybe you should take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

attroll
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Well I can only voice my opinion on this.

From what I understand is this guy was owed money from a friend and his friend gave him items that were to offset what he owed him to help offset the cost. It just so happens that in these items that this coin was.

First off if the guy that had possession of Moun10Bike’s coin and got it from a cache and as a travel bug he should have been moving it on so I am agree as to why others got upset about this guy trying to sell it. I think the guy that got it out of a cache should have at least went to a local cache and put it in there instead of giving it away. It sounds to me like this guy took it with no intentions of moving it along in the first place. This happens a lot in the caching community. I know people who do it and I am sure you all do too. I don’t agree with it but it happens. I don’t think it is right that this guy is selling it when it is suppose to be a travel bug. He should put it back into circulation.

As far a Moun10Bike being the owner. I can see how people would think that because he bought the coin and put it into circulation. But is he still the owner after he released it is the question? I don’t have the answer to that. But we all know when we put a signature item into a cache that people collect them and we all know the possibilities of someone taking your trackable coin to add to there signature collection is there also.

If the guy has nothing to hike he should have put the coin number on the photo that he was selling. I personally think he should not be selling the coin.

Now this coin must have been like close to coin #1 to fetch a closing bid of $2,175.00.

Kacky
04-24-2006, 01:20 AM
I can not understand why someone would actually pay $2,175.00 for this coin. What is so special about it? Man I hope I can sell one of my coins for that much someday.

Must be a hoax bid! Good point about the blocked out number though.

Smitty & Co.
04-24-2006, 06:35 AM
As far a Moun10Bike being the owner. I can see how people would think that because he bought the coin and put it into circulation. But is he still the owner after he released it is the question?

All travel Bugs have a webpage and the "owner" is listed on that page.;) However, when we start seeing dollar amounts such as what this coin is trying to fetch and the controversy surrounding it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone try to take legal action :eek: to set a precedence in cases similar to this. Mark my words.....it will happen someday. Some folks can get REAL serious about the games they play.

J_Cyr
04-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Wow I have one of his coins of a different style that did not cost me a dime.

Give ya $10 bucks for it :D :D LOL

WhereRWe?
04-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Must be a hoax bid!

No - I don't think so. As I said previously, if you check out the winner, he has a history of buying geocoins, as well as a positive feedback score. And there were a total of 18 bids on the coin (10 bids before he jumped in at the $1,150 level), so it is very doubtful it's a hoax bid.

Perhaps it's solid gold and encrusted with diamonds! :eek: :eek:

firefighterjake
04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Without going into all the details, there are many who feel the coin is not this person's to sell. Using a recent example, how would you all feel if I decided to put up a firefighterjake ladder up on eBay? . . .

Bidding for an original Firefighterjake signature item white ladder starts out at $500 . . . and the even rarer Hiram's Safety Orange ladder starts out at $750. Get these deals while they're hot. ;) :D I figure there's at least one geocacher out there in Deer Isle who may pony up the money for the white ladder. ;)

firefighterjake
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Someone wiser than me once said . . . (and I paraphrase here) . . . Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

As for me, I wouldn't pay a dollar for a geo-coin . . . but that's just me. It's not my thing. Ditto for the Beanie Baby craze that was going on a few years back . . . and whatever "must have" collection item is the latest rage or thing to own. However, if someone is willing to part with that much money . . . then bully for them and the seller.

Personally, I'm still toasting up cheese sandwiches, looking at pretzels and checking out my cat's coughed up hairballs in the hopes of finding an image of the Virgin Mary to put on e-bay . . . and then I'll be able to retire from here and geocache full-time. :)

becket
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Bidding for an original Firefighterjake signature item white ladder starts out at $500 . . . and the even rarer Hiram's Safety Orange ladder starts out at $750. Get these deals while they're hot. ;) :D I figure there's at least one geocacher out there in Deer Isle who may pony up the money for the white ladder. ;)

well...if i didn't have to have my roof completely rebuilt, maybe. but seriously, i would much rather find them.

becket
04-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Personally, I'm still toasting up cheese sandwiches, looking at pretzels and checking out my cat's coughed up hairballs in the hopes of finding an image of the Virgin Mary to put on e-bay . . . and then I'll be able to retire from here and geocache full-time. :)

LOL this is toooooo funny! geez, i have to look around to see what i have with some kind of image on it - maybe i can retire and cache full-time! or at least get my roof repaired!

firefighterjake
04-24-2006, 09:00 AM
well...if i didn't have to have my roof completely rebuilt, maybe. but seriously, i would much rather find them.

In all seriousness I think this is how most folks would want to get a signature item or item of value . . . it's a much more satisfying way to get something when it's not just handed to you and you have to work to get it . . . this applies to signature items, geocoins, a house, car, toaster oven, etc. Of course if anyone wants to buy me a new Subaru WRX to replace my 1990 Celica beater . . . :D

Kacky
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
The rest of us are clearly not maximizing the potential.

The G Team
04-24-2006, 12:34 PM
If you leave an item in a container in the woods, the purpose of which is to trade things in and out of, you give up any claim of ownership to the item. I hope he gets $2K for it. Just MVHO.

attroll
04-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Nope I am not going to get rid of this one. This is a special coin. It is a coin that was put together by four well know cachers that do coins. It is called "Coin Fusion". It just happens that Moun10Bike is one of those cachers. It is not trackable and it even says on the side of the coin "Property of the coin fusion project - not to be sold". So maybe this will be a good collectors item.

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:18 PM

hey if the coin is $3000 you can trade him a VW beetle for it!! (and $2,990) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Nope I am not going to get rid of this one. This is a special coin. It is a coin that was put together by four well know cachers that do coins. It is called "Coin Fusion". It just happens that Moun10Bike is one of those cachers. It is not trackable and it even says on the side of the coin "Property of the coin fusion project - not to be sold". So maybe this will be a good collectors item.

could it be traded for cash???

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM

I'm gunna put my Hiram ladder on e-bay and then im gunna retire in Hawaii!!!!! well.... maybe i could retire with a postcard that says hawaii on it... and get a job after i retire cuz the SS isn't bringin enough in... and it gets boring being retired all day so hey.. why not work... :D:D:D

Hiram357
04-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Someone wiser than me once said . . . (and I paraphrase here) . . . Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

As for me, I wouldn't pay a dollar for a geo-coin . . . but that's just me. It's not my thing. Ditto for the Beanie Baby craze that was going on a few years back . . . and whatever "must have" collection item is the latest rage or thing to own. However, if someone is willing to part with that much money . . . then bully for them and the seller.

i dont know about anything with the virigin mary in it... but i have an picture of the invisable man for sale!! i sold printing rights to a tabloid a few years back and those rights have just recently expired so... the rights to the pic and the pic itself are worth hundreds maybe even thousands of 1/2 pennies... :D

GeoMaine
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, the interesting thing I just found with about three minutes of research; Moun10Bike is (more like.. 'was') giving away his (near worthless back then, I’m quite sure) geo-coins as Xmas presents! Giving the benefit of doubt, it is (at least in theory) ‘possible’ that the geocacher may have gotten it as just that... A present. That lucky geocacher then turned around and used that $5.00 coin and used it to pay off a fairly large debt. We might frown upon it, but dang. Talk about 'caching' (ouch) a break!!

What's MOST scary? A $5.00 GeoCoin (not unlike the geocachingmaine.org coin) somehow gathers so much worth due to 'collectors' that it now commands these sort of prices! What the heck are geocachers becoming? Here I was, thinking that this was a GAME.

Heh. Now If I were Moun10Bike, I would order another small shipment each year, pop them up on e-bay and YEAH BABY, use the proceeds to retire and cache year full time. Think about it. $2,000 + per coin, 15 coins a year (hardly enough to over-saturate the market) and HELLO, that's $30,000 bucks! More than enough to buy a used but decent cache car, all the fuel you’ll need, and many a night spent in campgrounds. Each year, rince and REPEAT.

: )

P.S. Anyone know anyone that can do a good counterfeit on GeoCoins? LOL.