View Full Version : Monday night chat

Team2hunt
04-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I will begin by saying this appears to be a success. Thanks to all who have come and spent time on Monday night sharing information, stories, and time with us. I would like to set topics for each Monday night chat. So if anyone has a question or a problem, and is related to geocaching, please post it here. Since we just had the Mount Agamenticus Event, and it was great to see everyone there. I was espicially glad to see a lot of kids and families. So this Monday's chat topic will center around kids and families and how to get them more involved in geocaching. Including events with kid friendly activities. So please start posting your questions, problems, and ideas.

Hiram357
04-30-2006, 08:52 AM
I will begin by saying this appears to be a success. Thanks to all who have come and spent time on Monday night sharing information, stories, and time with us. I would like to set topics for each Monday night chat. So if anyone has a question or a problem, and is related to geocaching, please post it here. Since we just had the Mount Agamenticus Event, and it was great to see everyone there. I was espicially glad to see a lot of kids and families. So this Monday's chat topic will center around kids and families and how to get them more involved in geocaching. Including events with kid friendly activities. So please start posting your questions, problems, and ideas.

could every other monday be focused on GSAK... :confused::confused::confused::D

Team2hunt
04-30-2006, 09:04 AM
could every other monday be focused on GSAK... :confused::confused::confused::D

Since you have brought it up. We can dedicate a portion of every Monday night chat to GSAK questions. Since we usually spend an hour on the chat, I can't imagine discussing a single topic for the whole hour.

Thanks, Hiram357

Sudonim
04-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Since you have brought it up. We can dedicate a portion of every Monday night chat to GSAK questions. Since we usually spend an hour on the chat, I can't imagine discussing a single topic for the whole hour.

Thanks, Hiram357
If Hiram's involved, I can guarantee that we won't spent a whole hour on a single topic!:D

Hiram357
04-30-2006, 09:12 AM
If Hiram's involved, I can guarantee that we won't spent a whole hour on a single topic!:D

warning: chat topic may vary every 2minutes or baloney sandwhiches are good... :D butt seriously if it's revolving around GSAK... i can stay focused :D

kayakerinme
04-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I have seen other events around NE and the country dealing with paperless caching in general and GSAK in particular. Do we have any ideas about how many folks might be interested in such a gathering in either the Portland area or Waterville or Bangor?

Team2hunt
04-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I have seen other events around NE and the country dealing with paperless caching in general and GSAK in particular. Do we have any ideas about how many folks might be interested in such a gathering in either the Portland area or Waterville or Bangor?

If you can get my GSAK to work properly. I'll go anywhere. Literally.

Mainiac1957
04-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I would be willing to do an event based on GSAK and PDA tutoring. If I do it, I would plan on it being up my way. If someone else wants to do it then I'd be willing to help wherever they wanted to hold it. Next question is when. Suggestions? Comments? Let's see if we can stay on topic for a few posts this time folks, please. This is a subject that many of you are interested in.

tat
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
I'd be willing to help and would likely be able to round up some laptops all set up and ready to go. If we could find a place that could offer wireless, that would be a big help.

FuddsGirls
04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
You see how these things go, already its off the subject. Nights at 8 are difficult for me with putting kids to bed and meetings but if you could post the topic in advance, that would be helpful and great. Also, checked my Geo-neologisms wed sight, cant find GSAK and you all use it a lot. Help this newbie out ans clue me in please.

Team2hunt
04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
You see how these things go, already its off the subject. Nights at 8 are difficult for me with putting kids to bed and meetings but if you could post the topic in advance, that would be helpful and great. Also, checked my Geo-neologisms wed sight, cant find GSAK and you all use it a lot. Help this newbie out ans clue me in please.

GSAK stands for Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. It is software that can be downloaded into your computer. It will let you download many waypoints and set them up so you can easily view and arrange caches, from a certain area. http://gsak.net/ (http://gsak.net/) This is the link. This will get you started. The Team is NOT paperless and we use it all the time. Very helpful and user friendly. Hope this helps.

Hiram357
04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
weekends around the waterville area work good for me

FuddsGirls
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks Team2Hunt. Now I remember someone posting a thread about it and I had looked at it before. I haven't figured out what I have yet never mind complicating myself with more. If someone has it available at the June event I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

Team2hunt
05-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Looking for more chat topics.

Chian caches

WAAS ( or lack of )

Cache swag, what's good, what's not, where do I get some good swag?

Help me out here. Post your questions or concerns about geocaching.

Hiram357
05-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Looking for more chat topics.

Chian caches

WAAS ( or lack of )

Cache swag, what's good, what's not, where do I get some good swag?

Help me out here. Post your questions or concerns about geocaching.

Getting permission to place caches...
ive been talking back and forth with the kennebec land trust and it so far seems that they would like me to be a median between the KLT and Geocaching. :D:D:D (the upsetting part is that there are more than 5 caches currently on KLT properties that the KLT did not know about... meaning nobody asked permission to place them, which is a bad thing because there are quite a few ecologically sensitive areas currently being protected by the KLT)

Team2hunt
05-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Where you CAN and CAN'T place caches. Sounds like a great topic for this Monday night. Does anyone know if there is a link here to the GC.com page for allowable caches?

Thanks, Hiram.

Here's one: GeocachingPolicy.info - Home Page (http://www.geocachingpolicy.info/index.html)

kayakerinme
05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Where you CAN and CAN'T place caches. Sounds like a great topic for this Monday night. Does anyone know if there is a link here to the GC.com page for allowable caches?

This one? http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Team2hunt
05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
I noticed today one of the posts for a TB is, " discovered ". Has that always been there? What's the difference between a " grabbed " and a " discovered "?

Mainiac1957
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I guess whe it appears in a cache that it wasn't dropped in. You would "discover" it

kayakerinme
05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I noticed today one of the posts for a TB is, " discovered ". Has that always been there? What's the difference between a " grabbed " and a " discovered "?

There was a recent announcement about this new log type:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131456

hollora
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
FuddsGirls has a good point. There are loads of abbreviations used with this sport and a glossery of sorts, maybe even posted on this web site, would be a great help.

Mainiac1957 has been very helpful to me. If there is a class in the Bangor area and the use of a projector for a laptop would help - I have one for use - just ask.

This is an outdoor sport - I wonder if the Penbscot Conservation Club would have space for or let us use the facility for a class (they are off North Main St. in Brewer). The only thing is they don't have is computer wireless service. They do have a phone though. Another thought - would a booth at their Sportman Show or a demo/class be worth it for next year??? Now is the time to contact them. Jay Munson at Brewer PD is the new President. Contact should probably start with him.

Thanks for the opportunity of input on this topic.

brdad
05-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Maybe they should add a log for caches that says "Got close enough for me" for people who log caches as finds without really finding them. :D

Mainiac1957
05-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Maybe they should add a log for caches that says "Got close enough for me" for people who log caches as finds without really finding them. :D
Dave, you know that only applies to cachers from away. Or at least I thought it did.;)

FuddsGirls
05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
[quote=hollora]FuddsGirls has a good point. There are loads of abbreviations used with this sport and a glossery of sorts, maybe even posted on this web site, would be a great help.
quote]
Here are two that people have passed on to me...
http://home.earthlink.net/~prime.suspect/geolex/
http://members.aol.com/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/neologism.htm

brdad
10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Just reviving this thread to remind people Monday is chat for newbies. If you're lucky, someone besides me will be there!

WhereRWe?
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Just reviving this thread to remind people Monday is chat for newbies. If you're lucky, someone besides me will be there!

Sheesh! If you're there, we know that any noobs that drop in will be well served! LOL! ;) ;)

Maine-iac_Mom
10-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh man! I forgot all about the Monday night chat! Darn! Someone needs to remind me! LOL

brdad
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh man! I forgot all about the Monday night chat! Darn! Someone needs to remind me! LOL

That's a good idea! I'll try and remember to post a notice to this thread next week. I wish I had this week! :p

Some days pjpreb or myself or anyone else could be in the chat at any given time, or in the national chat as well (#geocache)

Haffy
10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I was there last night for a change, I mean Monday night.

brdad
10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
It's Monday. Wasn't I supposed to remember to remind someone?

Maine-iac_Mom
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Me! I forgot again! I went grocery shopping! Grrrr!