View Full Version : Garmin 60CS Compass problem

gpsxplr
04-30-2006, 01:01 PM
It seems like everytime I go out the compass screws up and I have to recalibrate. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, is there a solution.

Thanks.

WhereRWe?
04-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I think that's been discussed here before, and someone will be able to answer your question. :D :D

FuddsGirls
04-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a 76CS. We did discuss the compass being recalibrated for me but it doesn't need to be done all the time, just do it when I change the batteries and even then isn't always necessary. Did you contact Garmin by e-mail?

gpsxplr
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I Haven't contact garmin but I did find an interesting thread on geocaching.com

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=128345

I wonder if the batteries could be a problem (I use NiMH recharable batteries).
I have used these for a while and can't remember if regular batteries made any difference.

FuddsGirls
04-30-2006, 07:13 PM
We have always and only used NiHM rechargeables, and don't have the compass problem. There is a setting on the gpsr for these or regular though.

Haffy
04-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't think batteries would be the problem but there is a setting for the type of battery that you do use though. I think that would only have to do with power consumption and not calibration or the compass.

gpsxplr
04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Well I am glad it is perhaps probably not the batteries as I rather like them.

Hiram357
04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I recently started using rechargable batteries, and when I did start using them in my GPS (Garmin 72) It wasn't as stable, it was always bouncing around, I didn't think anything of it until I ran out of rechargable batteries and bought a pack of duracells (the one's the proffesionals use) and lo and behold, my accuracy and stability was back, the GPS wasn't jumping all around, and it had a faster reaction time when I was moving... I don't know what the batteries have to do with the function of the unit (i too am a non beleiver of the concept) but I've been playing around with them for the last 2 weeks and I am noticing differences.

gpsxplr
05-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Interesting.

I just emailed Garmin about the problem and asked about batteries.
I will let you know what they say. Although in my experience, tech support often seems to somehow not see most of what is asked in a email. Perhaps garmin is different.

parmachenee
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I have always used alkaline batteries with my 60cs and haven't had any problems except the occasional quirky behavior with heavy tree cover...much more noticeable lately for some reason. This past weekend I had more problems than previous to that. I have also noticed when I unplug my Garmin from the truck I have a problem with the compass settling down and I have to recalibrate.

LaughingTerry
05-01-2006, 03:55 PM
My 60CSX does the same thing. I calibrate a couple dozen times some days when caching a lot. I e-mailed Garmin and they told me to install the Beta software. Yea, OK. It doesn't work right so they just put me off in hopes I give up I guess. What really torques me is that Shewolf has the very same unit with the very same software(loaded from my computer) and hers works great so I know it is the GPS.

we3beans
05-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm with LT here. My brother and I have the same GPS model, Garmin72 and ours has very little "bounce" and other problems (this weekend wasn't great though) but my brother's has TONS of bounce issues. His is especially bad in rocky settings. It is weird alright.

gpsxplr
05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
This is what garmin said:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

This a normal condition. As the unit polarity created when calibrating will
drift it will require a re-calibration. It is not uncommon to have to
calibrate on a daily basis sometimes even a few times a day.
-------------------

I guess from now on I will get in the habit of calibrating my compass at the start of a cache hunt as well as trying to remember to waypoint the car while I'm at it.

Beach Comber
05-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I recently started using rechargable batteries, and when I did start using them in my GPS (Garmin 72) It wasn't as stable, it was always bouncing around, I didn't think anything of it until I ran out of rechargable batteries and bought a pack of duracells (the one's the proffesionals use) and lo and behold, my accuracy and stability was back, the GPS wasn't jumping all around, and it had a faster reaction time when I was moving... I don't know what the batteries have to do with the function of the unit (i too am a non beleiver of the concept) but I've been playing around with them for the last 2 weeks and I am noticing differences.

Wow - now that you mention it, I bet this has something to do with my DNF's. If I think back, I bet I couldn't find the caches when I have rechargeable batteries in. Yeah, that's the ticket! Whew - what a relief to know the cause!

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow - now that you mention it, I bet this has something to do with my DNF's. If I think back, I bet I couldn't find the caches when I have rechargeable batteries in. Yeah, that's the ticket! Whew - what a relief to know the cause!

go ahead, laugh at me... i'm just telling it like a see it, and i see the recharable batteries and the gps not working good together, and the duracels make the gps happy again. :D

Mainiac1957
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I've been using a variety of rechargeable batteries for as long as I've been caching. I most always seem to find them. They certainly save me money too.

Beach Comber
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM
go ahead, laugh at me... i'm just telling it like a see it, and i see the recharable batteries and the gps not working good together, and the duracels make the gps happy again. :D

Oh - I'm not laughing - I'm just relieved to know why I have had such problems. I'm sticking to alkaline from now on - hehehehe Any reason other than my error is a good enough for me when it comes to explaining a DNF. Carlgurt from Two Reprobates put it quite perfectly at the event this weekend... "I always figure if I can't find the cache then there must be something else going on - it can't possibly be me!"

FuddsGirls
05-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Any of you who are using re-chargeables having trouble with your gpsr intermittantly shutting down? My first one did, sent it back for repairs, ended up with a new one and now this one is. Garmin only suggested downloading updated software, 4.10, this time. Maybe they're putting me off for one more week until I'm stuck too.

Sudonim
05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Any of you who are using re-chargeables having trouble with your gpsr intermittantly shutting down? My first one did, sent it back for repairs, ended up with a new one and now this one is. Garmin only suggested downloading updated software, 4.10, this time. Maybe they're putting me off for one more week until I'm stuck too.
Lots of people are having this problem. 2 causes have been explained.
1) Loose battery connections. Some people roll up electrical tape, or some other non-conductive padding to tighten up the battery connectors.
2) Somehow vibration (like driving down a dirt road) is doing it. My Vista does this, but the battery terminals are tight against the batteries, so I've just been living with it, but I don't like it:mad:

firefighterjake
05-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I haven't noticed any difference with the type of batteries in my Magellan . . . but then again it's a Magellan (sorry fellow Magellan users, I just have to get the digs in before Hiram can! :D )

In all seriousness the only thing I've noticed with rechargeables is that when the low battery alarm appears it means the unit will be shutting down in the next couple of minutes whereas alkalines usually give me several more minutes of use before the unit shuts itself off.

Hiram357
05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
I haven't noticed any difference with the type of batteries in my Magellan . . . but then again it's a Magellan (sorry fellow Magellan users, I just have to get the digs in before Hiram can! :D )

In all seriousness the only thing I've noticed with rechargeables is that when the low battery alarm appears it means the unit will be shutting down in the next couple of minutes whereas alkalines usually give me several more minutes of use before the unit shuts itself off.

cmon jake, what can you possibly notice different about a megellan, its either not working or its uhhh not working...

and as for the batteries, didnt you see the new magellan TRF is selling??!!?? you can fit as many batteries in it as you want!!!

and for the on topic note: i've noticed that too about the rechargable batteries, when they're dead they're dead, sometimes i can pull em out and put em in my flashlight or somethin else, but not the rechargeables... they just die.

FuddsGirls
05-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Lots of people are having this problem. 2 causes have been explained.
1) Loose battery connections. Some people roll up electrical tape, or some other non-conductive padding to tighten up the battery connectors.
2) Somehow vibration (like driving down a dirt road) is doing it. My Vista does this, but the battery terminals are tight against the batteries, so I've just been living with it, but I don't like it:mad:My connections are very tight too and on my first one, Garmin replaced the broken terminals but still ended up sending me a new unit. This one just started shutting down and it does it standing still.