View Full Version : Information You Can Use

WhereRWe?
05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
This may come in handy someday if you have remote door unlock on your car.

Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

team teebow
05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Well it did not work for me and now I'm locked out of my car!!! But hey what the heck I have my gps so I'll mark the location of the keys/car and go hit the near by cache until the spare keys show up. :eek::eek::eek:

becket
05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
and what if your cell phone is locked in your trunk, along with your spare keys (see ballfield cache in hampden) :rolleyes:

kayakerinme
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
This may come in handy someday if you have remote door unlock on your car.

Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

I'd post something here but this link provides so much more... http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonelocks.html

parmachenee
05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Of course, if you have keyless entry you can lock your keys in anytime and even leave the car/truck running.:D

attroll
05-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I'd post something here but this link provides so much more... http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonelocks.html
Thanks Barry for clarifying that. A chain letter was all it was how funny. Look how easy it is for people to believe things they read on the internet and pas them along.

The G Team
05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I heard that Bill Gates is trying out this feature for addition to the new Vista O/S--he will pay you $100 for each lock you open remotely with your cell phone. If you'd like to get in on this, please enter your Visa number, expiration date and SSN here:

:D

WhereRWe?
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Sheesh! I didn't expect to get to get blown out of the water THAT fast! I thought I'd get at least a few "Hey! That's great" comments! LOL!

:o :o

The G Team
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
J/K Bruce! An employee at school recently mass-mailed the "Bill Gates" letter to the whole district and got in trouble for misusing the network so it is kinda "top of mind". Hard to belive folks still fall for that one. I admit that I had not heard of the cell phone email until today--it does seem plausible until you considre that remote entry is via infrared (old) or RF and there is no way it could travel via cell.

tat
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
my key is broke in the ignition! Any cool ideas on how to get the short half out? It is way down in there!

firefighterjake
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Whenever I get an e-mail warning me about something or telling me some great "secret" tips or news I always check out snopes.com and/or urbanlegends.com to see if it is just an urban legend or not . . . it always amazes me that so many people are so ready to believe virtually anything if they see it in print.

Sudonim
05-01-2006, 08:18 PM
my key is broke in the ignition! Any cool ideas on how to get the short half out? It is way down in there!
TAT, have you tried 2 real small screwdrivers, or pick tools? 1 on top, one on the bottom, you might be able to use them like needle-nose pliers. The opening is too small for a "magnet on a stick" and if you tried a drop of superglue on the other end of the key, you would run the risk of gluing the whole thing in there.

Actually, try putting the other half of the key in, put a really strong magnet on it, maybe that will work:o

Worst case, if you are going to have to replace the ig. switch, try to take it apart, or get at the column end and use something to push the key out. If that looks promising, give me a call, I 'might' be able to give you some pointers on accessing the switch.

The G Team
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Tom, here's what I found on google:

http://www.ehow.com/how_16770_remove-broken-key.html

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/19805

"many thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. i appreciate you
taking the time and effort to respond.

i used the grinding a saw blade down into a removal tool method and it
worked beautifully. (i used a coping saw blade, a starret in fact -- in
honor of all you metalworkers) "

Looks like the modified saw blade or drill and tap is the way to go (or pay a pro who has the correct tool). The superglue/JB Weld solution does not seem to be considered a good idea.

Let us know if it works!

tat
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Follow up:

I made a great looking tool from an old coping saw blade. But, it is just too big for the hole. I'll get it done by a professional with the right tools.

Thanks to all for the advice!