View Full Version : Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Team2hunt
05-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey Dave, problem solved? Now the two of them have a place to debate all kinds of beer topics. LOL :rolleyes:

Beach Comber
05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
ahhhhhhhh - what a brilliant idea

WhereRWe?
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey Dave, problem solved? Now the two of them have a place to debate all kinds of beer topics. LOL :rolleyes:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Team2hunt
05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Link to: Canadian Astronauts - Geocaching In Maine (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1272) See this thread. Post #8. And all the rest of the hijacked threads with interjected beer topics. You guys are always entertaining, now I can find it quicker. :p

d’76
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
ahhhhhhh Freedom,
Beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

it feels so good:D

Sudonim
05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
The topic is ales.
Talk amongst yourselves:D

WhereRWe?
05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
The topic is ales.
Talk amongst yourselves:D

SAVE THE ALES! (http://www.camra.org.uk/)

Sudonim
05-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I knew that would wake Bruce up:p

parmachenee
05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
ahhhhhhh Freedom,

it feels so good:D

...and now we have two threads...?:D choooooosh!!!! Guess I'll have another. :D

Hiram357
05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! LOOK BRUCE WERE FAMOUS! ahhhh, i've spent all day making bbq sauce and drinking cheap beer (bud and bud light) and now the sauce is done (and i have to conserve beer for tomorrow) and i come online to this... hahah that's great :D:D:D I'll drink to that! :p

WhereRWe?
05-13-2006, 07:25 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! LOOK BRUCE WERE FAMOUS! ahhhh, i've spent all day making bbq sauce and drinking cheap beer (bud and bud light) and now the sauce is done (and i have to conserve beer for tomorrow) and i come online to this... hahah that's great :D:D:D I'll drink to that! :p

Sheesh! I can't imagine anything that go so well together and BBQ and beer!

:D :D :D

(Oh, wait... There's Polish sausage - or is that in another thread??? :eek: )

Hiram357
05-13-2006, 09:40 AM
hahahaha i just noticed the forum section that this thread is posted under.... "safety and health concerns" so ummm Don't drink and cache... put down your beer pick up cache, sign log, put cache back, continue drinking beer.... :D

Hiram357
05-13-2006, 09:41 AM
and yes... BBQ and Beer is a devine combination that created by the highest choir of angels back in the early stages of the universe. :)

Team2hunt
05-13-2006, 02:47 PM
hahahaha i just noticed the forum section that this thread is posted under.... "safety and health concerns" so ummm Don't drink and cache... put down your beer pick up cache, sign log, put cache back, continue drinking beer.... :D

There was no where else to put it. Besides, not only do we enjoy the beer banter. We need you to both be well enough to continue the thread. :p

WhereRWe?
05-13-2006, 03:40 PM
There was no where else to put it. Besides, not only do we enjoy the beer banter. We need you to both be well enough to continue the thread. :p

Well, I'll try and keep an eye on "Young Hiram". He doesn't have anywhere near the experience I have. :p :p

(Note to Hiram: I was at Jokas' today and saw a nice young female buying TWO kegs!!! Was that your wife? I though it was Mother's Day - not Father's day tomorrow!! :confused: :confused: )

Hiram357
05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, I'll try and keep an eye on "Young Hiram". He doesn't have anywhere near the experience I have. :p :p

(Note to Hiram: I was at Jokas' today and saw a nice young female buying TWO kegs!!! Was that your wife? I though it was Mother's Day - not Father's day tomorrow!! :confused: :confused: )

If you count experience in years, It will be a long time until I catch up... If you count it in fluid ounces I think I'd be pretty close... :D :D :D

two kegs... one female... and you didn't even get her name??? what's wrong with you man???? ( i was in there on friday and the place was deader than a doornail)

WhereRWe?
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
two kegs... one female... and you didn't even get her name??? what's wrong with you man???? ( i was in there on friday and the place was deader than a doornail)

Sheesh, Hiram! Like I said - I thought it must be your wife. :p :p

And it definitely wasn't dead yesterday! (Someone must have know what a BEAUTIFUL day it was going to be today...) :D :D

RubiconJW
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I figgured this would get a *few* of ya cryin...

http://www.maineline.net/%7Ejwatts/images/beer.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
JW

WhereRWe?
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I figgured this would get a *few* of ya cryin...

http://www.maineline.net/%7Ejwatts/images/beer.jpg

Yeah - especially since it was Grolsch! :eek: :eek: :eek:

A truckload of Pabst would have been a driving nightmare, no more.

:D :D :D

(And I've taken to wearing "cargo pants" lately - just in case... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Hiram357
05-19-2006, 07:15 PM
wow... I love that stuff, because when you drink a lot and people are like whaddya drinking?? and you say grolsch, they're all like... wow you are smashed how many have you had??? and then you say well i just opened my first...

BUT LOOOK!!! THERE"S STILL A COUPLE GOOD ONES LAYING ON THE ROAD!! WE CAN STILL SAVE THEM! :D

WhereRWe?
05-19-2006, 07:19 PM
BUT LOOOK!!! THERE"S STILL A COUPLE GOOD ONES LAYING ON THE ROAD!! WE CAN STILL SAVE THEM! :D

Hiram - I was a Boy Scout for MANY years. Remember the motto - "Be Prepared"? Why do you think I said I wear "cargo pants"??? :D :D

Pooh and friends
05-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Here is on heck of a story, this guy had a real drinking problem.....he liked Coors http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346# (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346)

WhereRWe?
05-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Here is on heck of a story, this guy had a real drinking problem.....he liked Coors http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346# (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346)

He TRUELY believed the old axiom, "Twenty-four cans in a case, 24 hours in a day - no coincidence!" LOL! :D :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Subject: Retirement Plan

>Retirement Planning
>
>If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would
>now be
>worth $49.00.
>
>With Enron,you would have had $16.50 left of the original 1,000.00.
>
>With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left.
>
>But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago,
>drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum
>recycling REFUND, You would have had $214.00.
>
>Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink
>heavily and recycle.
>
>It's called the 401-Keg Plan.

WhereRWe?
05-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Here's more info (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/coors-beer-p1.php)on that can collector. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
05-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't think I could do that with coors, guiness maybe....

Team2hunt
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Did Hiram and Bruce say beer? Just thought I would help you out with the postings, quality that is. And bring your thread back to life. What better way to post your 2000th than on the topic of beer. :) Congrats.

Hiram357
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
yeah.... i can't believe it! i think he's biting his tounge just cuz i started that thread! the guy that averages about 20 posts a day and he's been at 1964 for almost 12 hours! :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
06-06-2006, 07:24 AM
yeah.... i can't believe it! i think he's biting his tounge just cuz i started that thread! the guy that averages about 20 posts a day and he's been at 1964 for almost 12 hours! :rolleyes:

No, I'm just PO'd 'cause Rick has run me down a couple of times in the forums lately, and then he tells me that it's because a lot of people don't like us talking about beer. Don't know what his problem is. There even used to be an item on the home page listing the "top poster", but he took that out some time ago.

Sheesh! This an open forum for geocachers and we're just having some fun.

:confused: :confused:

Hiram357
06-06-2006, 06:06 PM
No, I'm just PO'd 'cause Rick has run me down a couple of times in the forums lately, and then he tells me that it's because a lot of people don't like us talking about beer. Don't know what his problem is. There even used to be an item on the home page listing the "top poster", but he took that out some time ago.

Sheesh! This an open forum for geocachers and we're just having some fun.

:confused: :confused:

hey, i just noticed that was gone... wasnt it there just last week??

Team2hunt
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Why else do you think I started this thread. Now Rick can't complain because you guys hijack a thread with your beer banter. Do it all here. Love to hear you guys go at it. :)

Hiram357
06-06-2006, 07:47 PM
welllll.... what about our goals to have the most posts??? it's not all about the quality ya know... :p :D :rolleyes:

Smitty & Co.
06-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Here's a site that has some beer that will be beneficial to our smoking cachers! If you can just drink this instead of smoking you can cache longer, harder, faster ...... and instead of potentially starting fires you'll be equipped to put 'em out!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3474127a4560,00.html

:D

Just a health tip from Nurse Ratchet(one of Christy's alter egos)

LaughingTerry
06-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Did you know?

A full seven percent of the entire Irish barley crop goes to the
production of Guinness beer.

Hiram357
06-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Did you know?

and did you know that 88% of the Guinness products goes through my stomach??? :D

Hiram357
06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Here's a site that has some beer that will be beneficial to our smoking cachers! If you can just drink this instead of smoking you can cache longer, harder, faster ...... and instead of potentially starting fires you'll be equipped to put 'em out!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3474127a4560,00.html

:D

Just a health tip from Nurse Ratchet(one of Christy's alter egos)

I wonder if it tastes like the beer in the ash trays... that stuff is nasty, but $10 is $10.... :D

WhereRWe?
06-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Did you know?

Sheesh! What do they do with the other 93% of the barley crop???

(Probably sell it to the Americans to make Budweiser! LOL! :p :p )

Hiram357
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey Bruce, Is it legal to drink stella out of a regular glass? i saw some for sale in a fancy store down in portsmouth the other day and thought about buying it, but then i thought... i don't have a stella challace... would i be arrested for drinking out of the bottel or using my guinness tankard?? :D

WhereRWe?
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Bruce, Is it legal to drink stella out of a regular glass? i saw some for sale in a fancy store down in portsmouth the other day and thought about buying it, but then i thought... i don't have a stella challace... would i be arrested for drinking out of the bottel or using my guinness tankard?? :D

Sheesh, Hiram! You saw the Stella commercial (http://www.stellaartois.com/index.html)! You've gotta have a Stella glass. (Although I guess, in a pinch, you can drink it out of a bottle. :p :p)

Hey - since we were in New York yesterday, we decided to try some local brew and got some Saranac Pale Ale. Great stuff! :D :D

Hiram357
06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Sheesh, Hiram! You saw the Stella commercial (http://www.stellaartois.com/index.html)! You've gotta have a Stella glass. (Although I guess, in a pinch, you can drink it out of a bottle. :p :p)

Hey - since we were in New York yesterday, we decided to try some local brew and got some Saranac Pale Ale. Great stuff! :D :D

that's what i was hoping, cuz the bottle does have a stella label on it... so it is sort of a stella challace... it's more like a stella tabernacle. :D

should i hold my breath for my free sample, or did you not think of the needs of others while you where enjoying the ale??

WhereRWe?
06-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Hey, Hiram!

We're currently in Pennsylvania. Down here they love a beer called "Yuengling".

Sounds more like a gargle than a beet, but it is pretty good! :D :D

Hiram357
06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Stop in Latrobe and get me some fresh rolling rock!!! :D :D :D

Team2hunt
06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
The best beer in Pennsylvania is IRON CITY from Pittsburgh. Mmmmmmm.

Hiram357
06-29-2006, 08:47 PM

hate to break it too ya... that stuff just comes from the drainage pipe out of the three rivers stadium... :p

WhereRWe?
06-30-2006, 06:30 AM

Ya know, I've gotta stick with Yuengling. I really like that stuff. :D :D

By the way - did MadMuffin bring his homerew to the pig roast event? How was it? ;) ;)

Mainiac1957
06-30-2006, 06:48 AM
It was awesome, and I mean WAS. I know Rick and I did our fair share of making it go away. :p I meant to send him a note thanking him. So Dave if you read this....great job....got any more:D

Team2hunt
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
hate to break it too ya... that stuff just comes from the drainage pipe out of the three rivers stadium... :p

You can only get it in can. If you could see what it was you were drinking....you might NOT!! Love that stuff. Great to drink during the football games.

Hiram357
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
You can only get it in can. If you could see what it was you were drinking....you might NOT!! Love that stuff. Great to drink during the football games.

yeah, the beer is like their food... have you ever had an authentic pittsburgh style steak??

parmachenee
06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
yeah, the beer is like their food... have you ever had an authentic pittsburgh style steak??

Does it come in a can??:D

Hiram357
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Does it come in a can??:D

no, but after you eat it you can put it in a can.... :D

Hiram357
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
BRUCE!!! I NEED HELP!! I hold the (chilled) glass at a 45degree angle and slowly pour... but I can't get a head to form!! I've never had this problem before... is this just the way stella is in the bottle?? I don't think that video was enough training for the real thing....

WhereRWe?
07-10-2006, 07:11 PM
BRUCE!!! I NEED HELP!! I hold the (chilled) glass at a 45degree angle and slowly pour... but I can't get a head to form!! I've never had this problem before... is this just the way stella is in the bottle?? I don't think that video was enough training for the real thing....

I lived in Belgium for 7 years. There is one HECK os a difference btween Stella on tap and Stella in the bottle. You've seen the interactive commercial - using the spatula to scrape off the excess foam is STANDARD in any bar/tavern. They ALWAYS use it.

Thr Stella you're talking about is for export. It's meant to be practice for the REAL thing! LOL!

Hiram357
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I lived in Belgium for 7 years. There is one HECK os a difference btween Stella on tap and Stella in the bottle. You've seen the interactive commercial - using the spatula to scrape off the excess foam is STANDARD in any bar/tavern. They ALWAYS use it.

Thr Stella you're talking about is for export. It's meant to be practice for the REAL thing! LOL!

well, i figured the only thing worthy enough to put it in was my guinness tankard, and thats 16oz, I can't get the foam over 1/2" (nowhere near the brim), maybe the glass it my problem, maybe its too big... that'll be a first in my life :rolleyes:

we3beans
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I know this sounds like beer abuse and may be beer abuse, but I've seen people put SALT in their beer to make it foamy??? Doesn't that affect the taste of the beer or does it sink to the bottom?

Hiram357
07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
*GASP* :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bruce... you get the chains and handcuffs... I'll get the DVD player and the season 1 through 24 uncut Barney the purple dinosaur DVDs... we'll teach her to put salt in beer. :mad:

:D and yes some poor saps that don't know any better and drink 20 year old natural ice light or milwuakees best do put salt in their beer to make it more bubbly (and it tastes pretty nasty, I've only found myself doing that twice in my life, once at a bar in homeworth, ohio (the town of albion is bigger than homeworth!) and once at the bar in the portland airport.

WhereRWe?
07-11-2006, 07:11 PM
well, i figured the only thing worthy enough to put it in was my guinness tankard, and thats 16oz, I can't get the foam over 1/2" (nowhere near the brim), maybe the glass it my problem, maybe its too big... that'll be a first in my life :rolleyes:

Actually, I should have said there's a lot of difference between ANY beer in the bottle and in the keg. I have to be REAL careful with my kegeratro to keep the foam down.

I bought a 5-liter mini-keg of Heinekin at Jokas' today. Looking forward to tapping that! LOL!

Hiram357
07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually, I should have said there's a lot of difference between ANY beer in the bottle and in the keg. I have to be REAL careful with my kegeratro to keep the foam down.

I bought a 5-liter mini-keg of Heinekin at Jokas' today. Looking forward to tapping that! LOL!

haha, one of the ones that comes with it's own little spout! those are cool. I've been experimenting with different glasses, and I think the glass was my problem, I used a 10oz Highball glass and the foam got nice and thick (two fingers to be exact) the foam did go over the edge a bit due to my glass being too small to hold the other 2 oz in the bottle, but I sliced that off with my trusty pancake flipper and... WAH LA! We need to find a place around here that serves it fresher than Joka's, I've never been too impressed with their refrigeration and the stella had a cool again warm again cool again taste to it, but it reminded me of another belgium ale, I think it was DuValls or somethin like that... it was Du... somethin, heh, that's what i get told a lot when i'm sitting around drinking... Du sumthin... (that stuff foams up wicked crazy, gotta have a steady hand to pour a good glass of that)

we3beans
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
*GASP* :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bruce... you get the chains and handcuffs... I'll get the DVD player and the season 1 through 24 uncut Barney the purple dinosaur DVDs... we'll teach her to put salt in beer. :mad:

:D and yes some poor saps that don't know any better and drink 20 year old natural ice light or milwuakees best do put salt in their beer to make it more bubbly (and it tastes pretty nasty, I've only found myself doing that twice in my life, once at a bar in homeworth, ohio (the town of albion is bigger than homeworth!) and once at the bar in the portland airport.

I didn't! Honest, I didn't!! I've just seen some people do that, and honestly I think it was Bud they did it to. (not all that far off from natural or mb...oh my gosh, JB could tell you some stories about mb and strolling socks and some other really cheap beer you can't hardly find anymore...the name escapes me at the moment and snow football, aaahhh, the good 'ol days).

parmachenee
07-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I didn't! Honest, I didn't!! I've just seen some people do that, and honestly I think it was Bud they did it to. (not all that far off from natural or mb...oh my gosh, JB could tell you some stories about mb and strolling socks and some other really cheap beer you can't hardly find anymore...the name escapes me at the moment and snow football, aaahhh, the good 'ol days).

Ahhh...but you haven't really tasted beer until you've had nasty-gansett in the GIQ's and Kreuger tiger p--- ale. :D

we3beans
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I belive ya, Frank.
I think that beer I was trying to remember was Red & White or something like that??

WhereRWe?
07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
haha, one of the ones that comes with it's own little spout! those are cool. I've been experimenting with different glasses, and I think the glass was my problem, I used a 10oz Highball glass and the foam got nice and thick (two fingers to be exact) the foam did go over the edge a bit due to my glass being too small to hold the other 2 oz in the bottle, but I sliced that off with my trusty pancake flipper and... WAH LA! We need to find a place around here that serves it fresher than Joka's, I've never been too impressed with their refrigeration and the stella had a cool again warm again cool again taste to it, but it reminded me of another belgium ale, I think it was DuValls or somethin like that... it was Du... somethin, heh, that's what i get told a lot when i'm sitting around drinking... Du sumthin... (that stuff foams up wicked crazy, gotta have a steady hand to pour a good glass of that)

I agree with you about Jokas'. Great store, but needs more population to support it than is available around here.

The beer you're thinking about must be Duvel (http://www.duvel.be/). Been so long since I've had one of those that I don't remember it. But if you bought it at Jokas', it's probably been on the shelf for a while. There are VERY few SERIOUS beer drinkers in central Maine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I agree with you about Jokas'. Great store, but needs more population to support it than is available around here.

The beer you're thinking about must be Duvel (http://www.duvel.be/). Been so long since I've had one of those that I don't remember it. But if you bought it at Jokas', it's probably been on the shelf for a while. There are VERY few SERIOUS beer drinkers in central Maine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's the one im thinkin of! There's a store down on Bangor St. in Augusta that sells it, they keep a slim stock of it so it's usually not that stale :rolleyes: and they don't refrigerate it so it doesnt have that cold warm cold warm taste to it.

WhereRWe?
08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Sheesh! We need to join up!

http://www.nebs.org/

Haffy
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
WOW Duvel, I tried one of those while visiting my sister in SC this past spring while we were in Ashville NC and were out on the town having dinner at a local Brewpub there. Man that had a kick to it. I don't know what the alcohol content was but I just had one good slug of it and that was enough for me.

Hiram357
08-08-2006, 09:49 PM
WOW Duvel, I tried one of those while visiting my sister in SC this past spring while we were in Ashville NC and were out on the town having dinner at a local Brewpub there. Man that had a kick to it. I don't know what the alcohol content was but I just had one good slug of it and that was enough for me.

haha, a couple years ago when my boss first discovered Duvel, he went out and bout about 9 bottles of the stuff (cleaned the store out) (and these were the good size bottles, bout the size of a wine bottle) he called us up to come over... by the time all was said and done, we all had trouble talking, and all the bottles were empty... :D

Hiram357
08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Sheesh! We need to join up!

http://www.nebs.org/

man, how come there's never stuff like that around here??? !!!! CACHE EVENT IDEA!!! :D :D :D

WhereRWe?
08-09-2006, 07:56 AM

Having lived in Belgium for 7 years, I know Duvel (http://www.duvel.be/pages/home.aspx?culture=en&pageid=home) well. It does have a kick - 8.5% alcohol!

But it is one of the highest rated (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/695) beers.

And Duvel now owns the great Ommegang brewery in Cooperstown, NY. This a brewery tour that is a MUST if you're in the area.

WhereRWe?
08-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Here's a link for the Ommegang Brewery (http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=0).

Hiram357
08-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's a link for the Ommegang Brewery (http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=0). I wonder if you can hear a choir of angels sing when the doors open.... :D

WhereRWe?
08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I wonder if you can hear a choir of angels sing when the doors open.... :D

Well, as I remember, the girl who escorted us on the tour was an "angel", but she didn't sing... ;) ;)

And then there was the Bishop's University student who was our guide at the tour of the Moosehead Brewery in New Brunswick. She had 2 beers with us at the "pub" after the tour, then went back to escort another group! Sheesh! My kinda girl! LOL!

WhereRWe?
08-09-2006, 10:02 AM
And speaking of cache events, how about this for a venue (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm/pid/28570/page/Octoberfest-Vermont)?

Sheesh! They're even going to have chicken dancing! :eek: :eek:

Smitty & Co.
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Thought this might interest a few of you beer lovers. :D Willie Nelson has a spot in it. :eek:

http://beerfestmovie.warnerbros.com/

Hiram357
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Thought this might interest a few of you beer lovers. :D Willie Nelson has a spot in it. :eek:

hehe, already one step ahead of ya! I saw a preview for this on the net about 3 months ago... stef just rolled her eyes, but i cant wait for it! :D

WhereRWe?
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM

Sheesh! That must have been made by a bunch of tea-totalers! Imagine trying to make a comedy out of a subject as SERIOUS as beer drinking! :eek:

Hiram357
08-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Sheesh! That must have been made by a bunch of tea-totalers! Imagine trying to make a comedy out of a subject as SERIOUS as beer drinking! :eek:

Bruce, there is a time and place for everything, just like any time any place is good for beer, there are times where comedy is allowed to become involved. :D

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 11:16 AM
:cool: I think I'm about to bottle my first succesful batch of homebrew!! (the first batch was a dark ale... ever put alka seltzer in guinness?)

But this batch is an imperial pale ale, so far it's looking good! I just put it inot thebotlling bucket and I'm gunna let it settle for a few hours before I bottle it. Right now I'm currently testing the bottom of the barrel beer. It was enough to fill about a pitcher... wich is about half empty right now... hey, its 6 oclcok somewhere... :D

but anywho... as I was in the beer type mood, I was browsing for beer info and stumbled across this... http://www.mainebrew.com/ Cache event!!!! :D :D :D

Rydnfree
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
first batch eh, congratulations on your homebrew efforts,I've been doing it for about 10 years now and really look forward to brewing (and sampling)I have 4 5 gallon kegs filled and all ready for spring consumption. I brew in the winter and drink them in the spring/summer(they usually don't make it till summer though.

Rydnfree
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
check out this link for beer recipes http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html

WhereRWe?
02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
first batch eh, congratulations on your homebrew efforts,I've been doing it for about 10 years now and really look forward to brewing (and sampling)I have 4 5 gallon kegs filled and all ready for spring consumption.

I've been home-brewing off and on for 20 years, or so. And since I got the Kegerator, I'm interested in getting some 5 gallon Coke/Pepsi pencil kegs for home-brew draft, but I haven't decided to make the investment yet. :D :D

WhereRWe?
02-25-2007, 05:00 PM
And I forgot to mention it in the last message, but NorthernBrewer.com (http://www.northernbrewer.com/) is probably the best place for supplies. :D :D

Rydnfree
02-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I go to the Hop Shop in Gray good selection and very helpful people.
you can buy 5 gal kegs there for about 25.00

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
first batch eh, congratulations on your homebrew efforts,I've been doing it for about 10 years now and really look forward to brewing (and sampling)I have 4 5 gallon kegs filled and all ready for spring consumption. I brew in the winter and drink them in the spring/summer(they usually don't make it till summer though.

heh, no, not first batch... "first succesful batch" ;) :D

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
check out this link for beer recipes http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html

Look Bruce!! we're not alone!! We have another beer lover in the forums now! :D :D :D

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I go to the Hop Shop in Gray good selection and very helpful people.
you can buy 5 gal kegs there for about 25.00

The Kennebec Homebrew Supply in Farmingdale is a pretty good place too. It's nice to be able to go to a place where the people know about the art of beermaking. I tried a few of those natural food stores that sell the stuff and they were far from useful...

Mainiac1957
02-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Aaron, Didn't you bring some home brew to Ricks's pig roast last year. As I remember it was quite good and I drank quite a lot of it.:rolleyes:

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Aaron, Didn't you bring some home brew to Ricks's pig roast last year. As I remember it was quite good and I drank quite a lot of it.:rolleyes:

That wasnt me, I think that was MadMuffin

Haffy
02-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Yep and it was good too if I must say. It was an Alligash type of ale I believe.

Rydnfree
02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
sounds like like the beginning of an interesting event, Homebrew caching, it could start out at Bootleggers :D

Team2hunt
02-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Beer and pig! Can't wait for warmer weather. Rick? ......

HappyTogether
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I'll second that reccomendation for the Hop Shop. Small store, but with a good selection fo both ingrediants and equipment. Natural food stores often have some things for brewing, but its always a side-line for them, which usually means old stale ingrediants on a shelf under a thick carpet of dust. (Anyone who has tried to purchase ingrediants at a certain store in Orono during the last year will know what I mean)

I also second the reccomendation for NorthernBrewer.com if your living in an area without a dedicated supply shop. The live yeast cultures which you get with their kits are a huge improvement over the dried yeast packets with the "coffee can kits".

Camping event sometime with a BYOBB?
Bring Your Own Brewed Beer?

Hiram357
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Camping event sometime with a BYOBB?
Bring Your Own Brewed Beer?

I think you and I are going to get along just fine. :D

Rydnfree
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh Oh Oh count me in for that

WhereRWe?
02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
I've also seen ads on eBay for fresh hops (only in the fall, though). And I've also seen them a couple of times in stores in Canada, where they do a lot of home-brewing. :D :D

Rydnfree
02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I grow some in my backyard,it grows everywhere once it takes, some of the plants are over 10 feet tall and have to be grown on poles and string. I would be happy to cut some of the roots if anyones interested.they take a year to root usually

Mainiac1957
02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
That wasnt me, I think that was MadMuffin

Mad Muffin, Hiram. Home brew....all good!;) :cool:

WhereRWe?
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Mad Muffin, Hiram. Home brew....all good!;) :cool:

No, NOT "all good"! LOL! I've tasted - and made! - some pretty skunky home-brew! LOL! :o :o

Haffy
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Thought you all would like a sneak peek at their new computer.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/ATT5898721.jpg

Sudonim
04-08-2007, 07:23 PM
With a computer like that, the processor speed isn't important, but you want a lot of storage capacity!

Hiram357
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
that's one way to tap the micro technology... :D

Team2hunt
04-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Why not a Beer Brewing Event? I've been thinking about an Event Crawl this summer.

Hold the event at a local pub that specializes in Microbrews.

Or at a location that allows drinking outdoors, and you guys showcase your homemade brews.

WhereRWe?
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Hold the event at a local pub that specializes in Microbrews.

Sounds like this would have to be an over-nighter, as I don't think there's anything like this in CENTRAL Maine.

Mainiac1957
04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Our very own Sea Dog here in Bangor has all kinds of Micros on tap. At least I think they would qualify as micros. Good Ales and beers regardless.

Hiram357
04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Our very own Sea Dog here in Bangor has all kinds of Micros on tap. At least I think they would qualify as micros. Good Ales and beers regardless.

I'm not a big fan of the sea dog, but there is a micro brew in skowhegan, one here in waterville, and one in farmington. We could hire a bus to drive us around. :D

But I think the best bet for a crawl-like enviorment would be down in the old port, I think there's only one or two micros down there (I know Gritty's is down there, and I think I've been to another, but for some reason my memory of the place is a bit foggy...) But there are plenty of waterin holes within walking distance.

Haffy
04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't drink very often but my arm can be twisted once in a while...:D This is the place I like to go in Portland if I want a good pub and food atmosphere.
The Great Lost Bear

http://www.greatlostbear.com/

Rydnfree
04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
There is also Sebago Brew Co. in the Old Port,great stout and a great Hefeweizen

Hiram357
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
There is also Sebago Brew Co. in the Old Port,great stout and a great Hefeweizen

I've had their stuff from Joka's before (good stuff) Anyone know if the shipyard brewery have a storefront????? (I love their Chamberlain Ale)

Rydnfree
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
They dont, but I believe 3 Dollar Deweys sells it on tap and they're in the old port

Mainiac1957
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Click here (http://www.shipyard.com/sub/findex.shtm)for the locations of several Shipyard Brew Haus restaurants and Federal Jacks in Kennibunkport

WhereRWe?
04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of the sea dog, but there is a micro brew in skowhegan,

Yeah - but their beer is hard to find. I've looked for it but haven't seen it in quite a while. I'd love to try it. Have to check their tour schedule again.

But I have to go to Boston tomorrow - land of the BIG liquor store!

Hiram357
04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah - but their beer is hard to find. I've looked for it but haven't seen it in quite a while. I'd love to try it. Have to check their tour schedule again.

But I have to go to Boston tomorrow - land of the BIG liquor store!

The pizza shop here in waterville has it (the railroad cafe) I think it's called Old Pond Brewery.

bring back a few cases of samples! :D

Foxgloves
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't drink very often but my arm can be twisted once in a while...:D This is the place I like to go in Portland if I want a good pub and food atmosphere.
The Great Lost Bear

http://www.greatlostbear.com/

Is that on Forest Ave? I drive by there everytime I come to Maine to visit my sister.

My niece works at the Sebago Brewing Co. (the one on Maine Mall Road)
You can't miss her, Shes the most beautiful waitress/bartender there. ;)

And coicidently Shipyard is one of my favorite microbrews from Maine. I haven't tried alot of them however. My niece always buys me a case for Christmas.

I'm glad to see there are other microbrew conissoirs on this site.
Has anyone here been to the annual microbrew fest in Maine in November?
I'm going to try and make it to it this year. Maybe we should get a group together. ;)

Haffy
04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes it is on Forest Ave.

Rydnfree
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Has anyone here been to the annual microbrew fest in Maine in November?
I'm going to try and make it to it this year. Maybe we should get a group together. ;)

I have gone to almost all of the Brew Festivals it's a great time (I think:) ) as a side note The Great Lost Bear usually has 50+ brews on tap

Hiram357
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Which one is the one by chucky cheese?

I just started an extra dark stout tonight :D
but I think I got a lame pack of yeast.. :(
I haven't even gotten a bubble out of it... :mad:
If I see no action by tomorrow I'll try to re-pitch it...
But it smells good so far. :)

Rydnfree
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
My niece works at the Sebago Brewing Co. (the one on Maine Mall Road)
You can't miss her, Shes the most beautiful waitress/bartender there.
I'm sure I must have seen her I go in when I'm in the area, but I usually go to the one in Gorham because it's closer to home

Dave and Gail
04-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Well,,looks like we missed all the fine weather in Maine while we are here in Barbados. Coming home next Wed. Hope the weather clears a little by then. Speaking of Beer,,,Had a tour of the "Banks Beer" brewery here the other day. What a way to start the day. The tour included all the ice cold Beer you wanted after the tour, in an open air bar. About 85 degrees out with a nice cool trade wind blowing. Gail started out with a Guinness stout(which is brewed here at the Banks Brewery) and I had a couple cold Banks beer. All at 10:30 am. :D No shortage of Banks beer and Rum Punch here!!! Probably going to have to sign in to a substance abuse clinic when I get home:o Hey to everyone from Barbados,,,"Dave and Gail"

hollora
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Well,,looks like we missed all the fine weather in Maine while we are here in Barbados. Coming home next Wed. Hope the weather clears a little by then. Speaking of Beer,,,Had a tour of the "Banks Beer" brewery here the other day. What a way to start the day. The tour included all the ice cold Beer you wanted after the tour, in an open air bar. About 85 degrees out with a nice cool trade wind blowing. Gail started out with a Guinness stout(which is brewed here at the Banks Brewery) and I had a couple cold Banks beer. All at 10:30 am. :D No shortage of Banks beer and Rum Punch here!!! Probably going to have to sign in to a substance abuse clinic when I get home:o Hey to everyone from Barbados,,,"Dave and Gail"

Wow - what a great time to be missing the weather we are having.....and drinking Guinness stout - one of my favorites:D I am jealous! Enjoy and see you on the trails when you get home.:)

brdad
04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
http://gprime.net/game.php/drunkwalk

Hiram357
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Woo! 61meters!! :D

d’76
06-18-2007, 07:33 PM
thought you guys could use one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIs9H0WFus

Hiram357
06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
lol, well, I think I would die of thirst by the time the robot got me the beer, then I would probably kick it for pouring me that much head... but It's still a great idea!! but I already have the Stef 2.0 beer pourer... :D :D :D

WhereRWe?
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
thought you guys could use one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIs9H0WFus

Wow! Great idea for the single guy, but we're both married. We get our beers faster, and for a lot less money! LOL!

Medawisla
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes, but I thought the problem with the Stef2.0 was that she does NOT give as much head??:confused: :eek:

lol, well, I think I would die of thirst by the time the robot got me the beer, then I would probably kick it for pouring me that much head... but It's still a great idea!! but I already have the Stef 2.0 beer pourer... :D :D :D

d’76
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes, but I thought the problem with the Stef2.0 was that she does NOT give as much head??:confused: :eek:

:D :D :D I love you Steph:D :D :D

Sorry Hiram:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Haffy
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmmm is it that statement or do I have a dirty mind?

d’76
06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Hmmmm is it that statement or do I have a dirty mind?

All I was saying was I love her.:D

WhereRWe?
06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Sheesh! I think Steph has been into Hiram's homebrew! :eek: :eek:

Hiram357
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
SHE'S OFF TOPIC!!! THIS IS THE BEER THREAD!!!! :rolleyes:

Medawisla
06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
SHE'S OFF TOPIC!!! THIS IS THE BEER THREAD!!!! :rolleyes:

I know...and all your beer is gone...:D

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 06:40 AM
I know...and all your beer is gone...:D

Yup. I knew she was into the sauce...

Hiram, you NEVER should have told her it was iced tea! ;) ;)

firefighterjake
06-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh my . . . where is this topic going? :eek:

Medawisla
06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Yup. I knew she was into the sauce...

Hiram, you NEVER should have told her it was iced tea! ;) ;)

Actually Hiram was the one to discover Twisted Tea as a new favorite, of all people! But I prefer the Lemonade. :cool:

Hiram357
06-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh my . . . where is this topic going? :eek:

I think we need a moderator!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I think we need a moderator!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah! We need some sort of protection! Whatever is said, you or I will be blamed! LOL! ;) ;)

Hiram357
06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah! We need some sort of protection! Whatever is said, you or I will be blamed! LOL! ;) ;)

yeah, can we get yelled at for derailing our own thread??? I plead the 5th (of capt. morgans)!!! and I want to see my lawyer(he has a full wetbar behind his bookcase)!!

WhereRWe?
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
yeah, can we get yelled at for derailing our own thread??? I plead the 5th (of capt. morgans)!!! and I want to see my lawyer(he has a full wetbar behind his bookcase)!!

Sheesh! RULOST2? is the one who knows Captain Morgan. I even have 2 lime trees outside to keep her stocked, and I've been entering codes like crazy on mycokerewards (http://www.mycokerewards.com/index.jsp#windowType:home) to keep her supplied with Diet Coke (I buy coke caps at 5 cents each from the local redemption center, enter the code numbers online, and with the coupon I get, a 20oz diet coke winds up costing me 40 cents.)!! LOL!

Hiram357
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.proposition317.com/

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

(I thought the beer thread could use a lil revival...) :D

Sudonim
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Check your link Hiram. That link says "Service unavailable"

WhereRWe?
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM

It just worked for me...

And speaking of beer, there is a GREAT series of commercials at the Stella Artois web site! (http://www.stellaartois.com/)
(Keep clicking on "resume" to see the entire first ad. It's in French but the story is clear without knowing what is said. Then click on one of the beer mats at the end to see the other commercials. Several of them are interactive.)

:D:D:D

Hiram357
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM

It worked for me and it worked for bruce... You don't drink bud light do you??? :D;):p

HappyTogether
03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.proposition317.com/

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

(I thought the beer thread could use a lil revival...) :D

Its already a holiday for me! I'm Irish, and its my birthday, and I drink guiness. Funny how well life works out sometimes....

Hiram357
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Its already a holiday for me! I'm Irish, and its my birthday, and I drink guiness. Funny how well life works out sometimes....

as it is for many of us, but if enough sign it, it could be another day off!! :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Sheesh! You doing anything this weekend, Hiram? I'll drive...

"Got nothing to do this weekend? Wanna work a beer fest?

We're looking for small handful of extra people to help us out at this
weekend's American Craft Beer Fest. So if you love beer, meeting new
people, and can commit to working the fest ... we want you!

We need help for the following sessions:

Friday, June 20 - 4pm-10pm
Saturday, June 21 - 4pm-10pm (most help needed)

We're all set for Session One on Saturday, June 21.

Interested? Then please follow the instructions on this page:

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/volunteer

And keep a lookout for more info.

Cheers!

Respect Beer.

Jason & Todd (Alström Bros)
Founders, http://beeradvocate.com

Medawisla
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Sheesh! You doing anything this weekend, Hiram? I'll drive...

Well...I wanted to go to the Cabela's outlet...and it is on the way...;)
But...Hiram really hates Massachusetts...:rolleyes:
Even though you're willing to drive...he may need more buttering up...:p

firefighterjake
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Read this in today's BDN and thought of you Aaron.

Oktoberfest, Oct. 11th at Smuggler's Den Campground on MT. Desert Island from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

$5 entry or $25 (for 12 drink ticket and a souvenir glass)

Featuring various micro-breweries from around Maine

Team V3
10-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh Guinness :) You can all keep your Bud :)

WhereRWe?
10-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Oktoberfest, Oct. 11th at Smuggler's Den Campground on MT. Desert Island from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

"12-drink ticket"? How big are the drinks? LOL!

A few years ago, RULOST2? went on a "wine tour" in the Finger Lakes region of New York. Thirteen wineries! LOL! (Our #1 son was designated driver...)

I prefer this venue (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm/page/8th-Annual-Harpoon-Octoberfest-in-Windsor,-VT/cdid/116440/pid/28549).

(Oh - and thanks for resurecting this thread! LOL!)

Team2hunt
10-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Aahhhhhhh......I remember last years Beer Fest in Portland.

Hmmmm.........well maybe I don't. :confused:

Team2hunt
10-13-2008, 11:29 AM

So where was everybody? This was the weekend of great weather, great company, and A GREAT BEER FEST!! We spent Saturday afternoon putting away some of the best micro brews Maine has to offer. With the great weather the place was literally packed to capacity. There were food vendors and music, and 23 Maine brew masters to share their talents of how well the beer in Maine can be. My favorite was the Laughing Loon from Oak Pond Brewing. After wards we hit Main street Bar Harbor for some of the local nightlife. You all missed a good one!

Team2hunt
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I found this today as I was researching a few of the brewers who were at the past weekend's festival.

Beer and Pemaquid Mussel Festival
10/18/2008
We celebrate one year of beer with a beer, mussel, Belgian frites and music fest all over our property. Starts @ 6pm. we'll be pouring 14 of our beers, some we've saved from batches long gone. The Pemaquid Mussel crew will be here with lots of mussels that we'll be steaming, baking, frying and smoking. Music all night and our first crack at Belgian frites, with mayo and all the sauces.

This is in Belfast Maine.

WhereRWe?
10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
So where was everybody? This was the weekend of great weather, great company, and A GREAT BEER FEST!!

RULOST2? and I just got back from a caching trip to "The County" on Friday, so you know she was working on Saturday. That and the fact that it was a great weekend to get DRY wood into the cellar... :D:D

Team V3
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54

Thats all I need to say about BEER

Team2hunt
10-14-2008, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54

Thats all I need to say about BEER

I always wondered what Hiram did for a living and now I know. Lego folk song singer. ;)

Hiram357
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I always wondered what Hiram did for a living and now I know. Lego folk song singer. ;)

actually, they didn't think my singing was that well for a lead, if you pay close enough attention, you'll see that I'm the giant white chicken. :D

Team2hunt
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
actually, they didn't think my singing was that well for a lead, if you pay close enough attention, you'll see that I'm the giant white chicken. :D

I thought you were the one with the beer bib having a few brews with your Dad.

Hiram357
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I thought you were the one with the beer bib having a few brews with your Dad.

i dunno, i might have been that one too... i don't really remember... it's all kinda fuzzy...:rolleyes::D

WhereRWe?
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Beer lovers - head to Augusta Civic Center on April 18th for the Central Maine Brew Fest (https://www.centralmainebrews.com/). Live bands, food, prizes and BEER!

Sorry for the late notice, but I just heard about this myself. Tickets are still available at $25 for a 3-hour tasting session (either 2-5 PM or 7:30 - 10:30 PM.

The Augusta Holiday Inn is located just a block away from the CivicCenter. :o

Enjoy! :D:D

brewmaine
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I've had my ticket for months I also have my maine brewers fest ticket for the portland event later in the year LOL. check this video out lol its a big ad LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5U0W8FDDk

Haffy
04-08-2009, 07:43 PM
That was cool....:D

brewmaine
04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Is anyone going to the April 18th brewfest beside me ? i'm going to the afternoon event.

Team2hunt
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.vermontbrewers.com/overview.html

Hiram357
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Beer lovers - head to Augusta Civic Center on April 18th for the Central Maine Brew Fest (https://www.centralmainebrews.com/). Live bands, food, prizes and BEER!

Sorry for the late notice, but I just heard about this myself. Tickets are still available at $25 for a 3-hour tasting session (either 2-5 PM or 7:30 - 10:30 PM.

The Augusta Holiday Inn is located just a block away from the CivicCenter. :o

Enjoy! :D:D

one step ahead of ya bruce, i got my tickets in the mail today.... :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
one step ahead of ya bruce, i got my tickets in the mail today.... :D:D:D

Well, like I said... I just found out about it - maybe because I don't listen to/watch local TV or radio! LOL!

brewmaine
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
When I was in Penn I visited the "Yuengling" brewery I just love visiting brewerys when ever I get the chance to go to a new one. I love the smell of the hops and barley when I take a tour. my wife isnt so keen on the smell even when I brew it at home LOL.

So who here is going to the afternoon event at the augusta civic center brewfest? I'm going to the afternoon event and wouldnt mind meeting some of you and saying hi.

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
When I was in Penn I visited the "Yuengling" brewery I just love visiting brewerys when ever I get the chance to go to a new one. I love the smell of the hops and barley when I take a tour. my wife isnt so keen on the smell even when I brew it at home LOL.

Sheesh! We love visiting breweries as well. It's not about "the numbers", but we've visited the following breweries:

Moosehead (http://www.moosehead.ca/), St. John, NB (This was probably the best tour we've been on)
Harpoon (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/), Vermont
Long Trail (http://www.longtrail.com/), Vermont
Ommegang (http://www.ommegang.com/), New York
CoopersTown Brewing (http://www.cooperstownbrewing.com/), New York
Alexander Keith's (http://www.keiths.ca/), Halifax, NS
Oak Pond Brewery (http://www.oakpondbrewery.com/), Cornville, ME
Anheuser-Busch (http://www.factorytour.com/tours/anheuser-busch-merrimack.cfm), Merrimack, NH

And probably a couple of others that I can't think of right now. :D:D

WhereRWe?
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Sheesh! This thread needs a bump...

I love planes - I've flown many, many times - and often listen to air traffic control both on the internet (http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php) and on the scanner whenever I'm near an airport. I also monitor Bangor airport (http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBGR) to see what planes have arrived/departed.

I just noticed that this plane (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/4159301415/) came into Bangor today. So, I ask myself, "Self, what is Kingfisher, and the UB Group?"

Turns out, it's India's biggest beer producer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breweries_Group)!

So... Can we expect to see Kingfisher beer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/91/266) in the US? We can only hope...

Don't forget...

|
|
|
|
\ /

fins2right
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Ah, I would have loved to have seen this one fly over I-95.

Sudonim
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I didn't think there were any 727s left flying. Pretty cool looking plane. That was the one that D.B. Cooper hijacked back in the 70s. He jumped out from the rear loading hatch, a stairway from the passenger compartment in the back of the plane. Unusual design.

Ekidokai
01-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Speaking of that, what are the windmills for?

Hiram357
01-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I didn't think there were any 727s left flying. Pretty cool looking plane. That was the one that D.B. Cooper hijacked back in the 70s. He jumped out from the rear loading hatch, a stairway from the passenger compartment in the back of the plane. Unusual design.

If I recall correctly... (I know, I'm leaving myself wide open on that comment...) I flew on one of those just a few years ago on a trip to ohio.

and btw KEEP THE THREAD ON TOPIC! IT'S ABOUT BEER! NOT PLANES! SHEESH!!! :p:p;):D:D

dubord207
01-04-2010, 08:03 AM
The beer on most jets sucks, usually lukewarm Miller Lite or similar no taste crap. You'd think they could put a few bottles of micro brew or maybe a GIQ of Colt 45 on those little carts!:D:D

firefighterjake
01-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Speaking of that, what are the windmills for?

I believe the windmills out at the airport are for aerating the nearby "lagoons" . . . supposedly has to do with keeping the area environmentally green by containing and cleaning up contaminants from the de-icing procedures.

WhereRWe?
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Today is the 75th birthday (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100123/sc_livescience/cannedbeerturns75) of CANNED beer!

Hiram357
01-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Today is the 75th birthday (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100123/sc_livescience/cannedbeerturns75) of CANNED beer!

YAHOOOOOO!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANNED BEER! Now that's a good reason to celebrate :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
01-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I had a friend call me today - all upset.

He said he'd bought a 12-pack of Stella Artois (http://www.stellaartois.com/) today, and it was in a different container than it has been in the past. He also said that the beer was different: it was lighter in color, and tasted like Bud Light.

Sheesh!

I still have a 6-pack of Stella in the kegerator that I've had for a while (I keep it for guests (I don't get many of those, though), so I told him to come over tomorrow and we'd compare the two.

Sigh... When we lived in Belgium, we had Stella delivered in wooden crates to our doorstep. I miss the "good-old-days"...

dubord207
01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I lived in Vienna Austria for a little over a year. While Germany is renowned for their beer, Austria has beer that's just as good.

In Vienna, the folks that do public works type work are allowed to drink beer while they work. The beer of choice is Schwechharter. A case comes in a plastic tray that looks like what the bread guys use to deliver bread to the supermarkets. It was common to see a trench being dug with a few "trays" of beer sitting on the pile the worker were digging.

The best Austrian beer is Gooserspeciale, a full flavored lager. The Weinachtsbock, Christmas beer, is very powerful and back then it was helpful that the Austrian hausfrau that was my landlady "knew people" otherwise I might still be in jail.

Like Bruce, I occasionally miss the "good ol' days" except for those minor scrapes that resulted from "over achieving."

Can you imagine Maine DOT workers with a case of Old Milwaukee sitting on the guardrail?:)

WhereRWe?
01-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I lived in Vienna Austria for a little over a year. While Germany is renowned for their beer, Austria has beer that's just as good.

Sheesh! I have no memory of the beer brands in Austria. Since I "popped the question" to RULOST2? in 1976 on the balcony of a small hotel in Salzburgh in 1976, perhaps I had other things on my mind on that trip.

:eek::eek:

Hiram357
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Sheesh! I have no memory of the beer brands in Austria. Since I "popped the question" to RULOST2? in 1976 on the balcony of a small hotel in Salzburgh in 1976, perhaps I had other things on my mind on that trip.

that's a totally different thread!!! and I don't think one that we want to hear! ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p:D

WhereRWe?
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
that's a totally different thread!!! and I don't think one that we want to hear! ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p:D

Sheesh! It was a nice story - with a very happy ending. LOL!

Sure wish I could remember about the beer, though. Must have been good stuff to put me in a crazy mood... :o:o

But that's among the reasons I always encourage people to travel. We spent a month camping in Switzerland and Austria - a month I'll never forget (for MANY reasons! LOL!)

dubord207
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
While Schwechater and Gooser Spezial are all through Austria, does Steigr job your memory, Bruce? That seemed like the go-to beer in Western Austria.

Had a nice Geary's Hampshire Ale in a properly frosted mug today at the Kennebec Tavern in Bath on the river. Very nice after a few miles of snowshoe caching!:):)

WhereRWe?
01-24-2010, 08:23 PM
While Schwechater and Gooser Spezial are all through Austria, does Steigr job your memory, Bruce? That seemed like the go-to beer in Western Austria.

Had a nice Geary's Hampshire Ale in a properly frosted mug today at the Kennebec Tavern in Bath on the river. Very nice after a few miles of snowshoe caching!:):)

Sheesh! That was 30+ years ago... And the countries in Europe had so many beers - every large village had a brewery.

brdad
02-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I know this isn't beer, but it's a good story nonetheless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8499931.stm

Sudonim
02-06-2010, 12:57 PM

That whiskey has been "on the rocks" for a very long time

WhereRWe?
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM

I wonder if any of it will ever hit the market. Would bring a wicked price, I'd bet... :eek::eek:

Hiram357
02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I wonder if any of it will ever hit the market. Would bring a wicked price, I'd bet... :eek::eek:

yeah, but what a treat that would be to try some 100+ yr old whiskey! I wouldn't mind enjoying some of that history. :D:D

Ekidokai
02-07-2010, 01:03 AM
You birds stick with the nasty beer swill. The whiskey is mine!

WhereRWe?
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
You birds stick with the nasty beer swill. The whiskey is mine!

In another thread, "Sam Adams Noble Pils" was mentioned. Since RULost2? and I are in Massachusetts - the state with a liquor store on nearly every corner - I managed to pick up a 6-pack of this stuff.

Sheesh! GRRREAT! I'll stick with the barley/water/hops!

(We took a different route, not through Boston, so we didn't tour the Sam Adams brewery as we planned. And since we're supposed to have a blizzard tomorrow, we probably won't make it on this trip. But the liquor store is only a mile away, and I have 4WD...)

:D:D

Hiram357
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
In another thread, "Sam Adams Noble Pils" was mentioned. Since RULost2? and I are in Massachusetts - the state with a liquor store on nearly every corner - I managed to pick up a 6-pack of this stuff.

Sheesh! GRRREAT! I'll stick with the barley/water/hops!

(We took a different route, not through Boston, so we didn't tour the Sam Adams brewery as we planned. And since we're supposed to have a blizzard tomorrow, we probably won't make it on this trip. But the liquor store is only a mile away, and I have 4WD...)

I've got some connections, if you need any support I can have a few cases dropped in by helicopter... :D:rolleyes::p

Mapachi
02-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Sheesh! That was 30+ years ago... And the countries in Europe had so many beers - every large village had a brewery.

Heck, Bruce, your memory is fading. Every SMALL village had a brewery. Every large village had two or three! Cities...four or five!! At least it was that way in Germany.:):p:D:eek:

WhereRWe?
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Heck, Bruce, your memory is fading. Every SMALL village had a brewery. Every large village had two or three! Cities...four or five!! At least it was that way in Germany.:):p:D:eek:

Sheesh! Although I lived there for 7 years, I left Europe 25 years ago. At my age, I can barely remember being there! LOL!

Mapachi
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Sheesh! Although I lived there for 7 years, I left Europe 25 years ago. At my age, I can barely remember being there! LOL!

I left 39 years ago.....Maybe I caused alot of them to close before you ever got there!

dubord207
02-11-2010, 07:10 AM
I left 39 years ago.....Maybe I caused alot of them to close before you ever got there!

That is not the case, Pat. I was there in '71 and '72 and I found bar stools named after you and newspaper articles on the wall with your picture prominently displayed. It might have been your return to the States that caused business to slip a bit! I'm pretty sure '71 and '72 were good years for gasthauses in the Vienna area.

Oh to be young again!:D

pm28570
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir, however......
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/company-news/beer-and-bone-study-a-boon-for-microbrews/19349810/?icid=main|main|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfi nance.com%2Fstory%2Fcompany-news%2Fbeer-and-bone-study-a-boon-for-microbrews%2F19349810%2F

Hiram357
02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I know I'm preaching to the choir, however......
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/company-news/beer-and-bone-study-a-boon-for-microbrews/19349810/?icid=main|main|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfi nance.com%2Fstory%2Fcompany-news%2Fbeer-and-bone-study-a-boon-for-microbrews%2F19349810%2F

That could explain why my skull is so thick! :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I think you and I should go for a beer ;-)

I just had a Michelob "Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/27354)", flavored with "Madagascar vanilla beans", and aged in bourbon oak casks. This sounded really wierd, but I had to try it.

I thought it was great, although "Beer Advocate" reviews only give it a "C". I also though the vanilla complemented the malt - a strange combination producing an unexpected result. :D:D

(And I never drive after drinking. I drink at home or at a hotel restaurant/lounge.)

darterkitfox
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
People actually put beer in caches for FTF? Is that why so many people would run you off the road to get FTF? I bet we get a lot more 13 year olds caching now!

WhereRWe?
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
People actually put beer in caches for FTF? Is that why so many people would run you off the road to get FTF? I bet we get a lot more 13 year olds caching now!

Actually, putting beer (alcohol) in a cache is against the rules. But I have gotten a FTF prize that was a coupon good for a 6-pack at a certain store. Was a long time a ago and I don't remember where, but I got the 6-pack. LOL!

fins2right
04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
After 9 months stuck in a sandbag encrusted foxhole on the outskirts of Diyarbakir, Turkey building up to Desert Storm, they finally let up go on leave. My original plan was to go to Birchtesgaden, Germany for skiing. My leave date: January 18th, 1991. The kickoff of the air campaign for Desert Storm: January 17th 1991. Needless to say, my leave was canceled. (The Air Force did refund all of our money though, which I thought was nice.) In April 1991 leave was granted again and 4 of us went to Italy. We landed in Aviano AFB. A friend of ours met us there and took us into one of the small villages that surround the area. A couple of things really stand out: My friend was driving a 1988 Ford F-150 Crew cab that he had shipped over from the U.S. He got pulled over all the time by Italian Carbs (cops, Carabinieri) because the truck was so much bigger than anything they had seen they wanted to try it. (In fact it was so big that it did not fit on some of the village roads) Every village pub had 20+ beers. This was in an era when servicemen were treated to Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller lite and Coors. At the ripe old age of 20 I had no idea what microbrews were. Every pub (which is pronounced pub in Italian) offered specialized glasses with the beer. They watched Americans like hawks, because we stole the glasses. The beer I drank the first night was called
LA BIERE DU DEMON

(The Demon Beer, That should have been a clue)
http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/dudemon.htm

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::ee k::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did I mention this was 12% beer?

For a couple of Airmen who had just spent 9 months in a third world country this stuff was truly Ambrosia.

Somehow I don't remember leaving the pub. I miss Italy.

The Turk beer of choice was Tuborg. The rumor was that it was brewed with Formaldehyde.

That is my favorite Europe beer memory.

Hiram357
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
After 9 months stuck in a sandbag encrusted foxhole on the outskirts of Diyarbakir, Turkey building up to Desert Storm, they finally let up go on leave. My original plan was to go to Birchtesgaden, Germany for skiing. My leave date: January 18th, 1991. The kickoff of the air campaign for Desert Storm: January 17th 1991. Needless to say, my leave was canceled. (The Air Force did refund all of our money though, which I thought was nice.) In April 1991 leave was granted again and 4 of us went to Italy. We landed in Aviano AFB. A friend of ours met us there and took us into one of the small villages that surround the area. A couple of things really stand out: My friend was driving a 1988 Ford F-150 Crew cab that he had shipped over from the U.S. He got pulled over all the time by Italian Carbs (cops, Carabinieri) because the truck was so much bigger than anything they had seen they wanted to try it. (In fact it was so big that it did not fit on some of the village roads) Every village pub had 20+ beers. This was in an era when servicemen were treated to Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller lite and Coors. At the ripe old age of 20 I had no idea what microbrews were. Every pub (which is pronounced pub in Italian) offered specialized glasses with the beer. They watched Americans like hawks, because we stole the glasses. The beer I drank the first night was called
LA BIERE DU DEMON

(The Demon Beer, That should have been a clue)
http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/dudemon.htm

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::ee k::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did I mention this was 12% beer?

For a couple of Airmen who had just spent 9 months in a third world country this stuff was truly Ambrosia.

Somehow I don't remember leaving the pub. I miss Italy.

The Turk beer of choice was Tuborg. The rumor was that it was brewed with Formaldehyde.

That is my favorite Europe beer memory.

Ya know, it's stories like that, that make me wish I would have joined the service. But c'mon demon beer? can't be that bad... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

WhereRWe?
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Sheesh! Are you kidding? Tuborg was great compared to one brand we had on the other side of the country: Efes (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/569/1506). It literally killed a guy I knew. (Really!)

But it must have improved over the years if the Alstrom brothers gave it a "B+" and commented that it was "very good". :D:D

masterson of the universe
04-27-2010, 10:28 AM

I saw this in the closed thread as well. I'd like to think that someone is not actually placing alcohol in the caches, regardless of whether they know their adult buddies will be there within minutes of it being published. There are numerous situations where someone else might happen to get there first or if a muggle found it, it might cause issues where a bad light would be placed on caching. Coupons and giftcards are a different story. I know i've found questionable items like lighters in caches and usually take them out as I cache with my kids and don't want them having access to that kind of stuff. While the McToys maybe be poor trading items, I'll take my kids having access to those anyday over fire and booze.

brdad
04-27-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree, leaving beer in caches makes cachers as whole look bad if it ends up in the wrong hands or is otherwise reported. I wonder legally - if a minor retrieved the beer if the person who placed it could be charged for supplying alcohol to a minor?

I've only seen a beer in one cache, Iceman, which is a tougher cache to get to and hidden well enough that it would not be found unintentionally, but it is still not a good idea. One of the cachers in our party took it in his own hands to destroy the evidence - and felt it was deserved since our guide who shall not be mentioned (pjpreb has heard that story one too many times) got us lost. :)

I have found several knives, matches and other items on gc.com's list of items not allowed in caches.

Ekidokai
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I think beer in caches makes other cachers look better. A few in a cache and I might be taking a crack at you.

Love finding interesting lighters in caches especially if they work. Always need a lighter for my cigar in the rain.

I know, I know, rules.

masterson of the universe
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I think beer in caches makes other cachers look better. A few in a cache and I might be taking a crack at you.

After this and the fact that beer goggles were a door prize the the breakfast event, I'm having second thoughts on going way out in the woods with Mike on the search for Halfmile...BRDAD, can you go out ahead of time and make sure there's no beer in the final? :eek::D

brdad
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Fear not, I have Mike's day all planned out. I bet he's never heard the Legend of Halfmile Pond. Muahahahahaha!

pjpreb
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I've only seen a beer in one cache, Iceman, which is a tougher cache to get to and hidden well enough that it would not be found unintentionally, but it is still not a good idea. One of the cachers in our party took it in his own hands to destroy the evidence - and felt it was deserved since our guide who shall not be mentioned (pjpreb has heard that story one too many times) got us lost. :)

Ohdearlordherewegoagain...For the last time and FOR THE RECORD *I* was not in possession of a GPSr when those of you who *had* GPSr's in their hands "got lost"

fins2right
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Sheesh! Are you kidding? Tuborg was great compared to one brand we had on the other side of the country: Efes (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/569/1506). It literally killed a guy I knew. (Really!)

But it must have improved over the years if the Alstrom brothers gave it a "B+" and commented that it was "very good". :D:D

Efes! Lordy I had forgotten about that. I believe that it could kill. I'm pretty sure we dropped it on the Republican Guard :D

WhereRWe?
05-19-2010, 08:32 AM
House of Representatives votes in favor of beer (http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1005/house_passes_beer_bill.html)!

Hiram357
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
House of Representatives votes in favor of beer (http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1005/house_passes_beer_bill.html)!

hah, did you read some of the comments about the article? some people just can't let other people enjoy themselves.... :D

brdad
05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
http://www.omgsoysauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/men-and-beer-570x593.jpg

Haffy
05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I just knew there was something strange going on with Hiram....:eek:

Hiram357
05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I just knew there was something strange going on with Hiram....:eek:

What can I say? I'm a modern man just trying to get in touch with my feminine side. Is it a crime to care?? :rolleyes::p:D:D

WhereRWe?
05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
http://www.omgsoysauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/men-and-beer-570x593.jpg

Sheesh! After 6 pints of beer in one hour, I'm not surprised at the results!

JustPJ66
05-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I laughed out loud and thought of all your beer drinkers when I saw this on ebay today

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-6-Pack-BEER-geocoin-gettin-job-done-geocache-/160438466764?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255ae0b8cc

thought I would share it with you ...wonder how many of you already own one? hehe

:)

WhereRWe?
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
thought I would share it with you ...wonder how many of you already own one? hehe

:)

Sheesh! $10 buys a lot of beer! :D:D

WhereRWe?
06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Harpoon India Pale Ale (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=28507) - this has got to be my favorite.

We've visited the Harpoon brewery in Vermont a couple of times, but we hope to visit the Harpoon brewery in Boston next month. :D:D

pm28570
06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Harpoon India Pale Ale (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=28507) - this has got to be my favorite.

We've visited the Harpoon brewery in Vermont a couple of times, but we hope to visit the Harpoon brewery in Boston next month. :D:D

Harpoon is good. Here's a story for ya.....
I was recently in Eilat, Israel. It's on the Gulf of Acaba, bottom of the Sinai. As you face the sea, Jordan is about 4 km on the left and Egypt is the same distance on the right. Sitting in a open restaurant, I asked what they had on draft, having seen the tap handles. Gold Star (a local beer) and Sam Adams Boston Lager. Of course, went with the Sam's which was served in a Sam Adams glass. Unbelievable.

WhereRWe?
06-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Harpoon is good. Here's a story for ya.....
I was recently in Eilat, Israel. It's on the Gulf of Acaba, bottom of the Sinai. As you face the sea, Jordan is about 4 km on the left and Egypt is the same distance on the right. Sitting in a open restaurant, I asked what they had on draft, having seen the tap handles. Gold Star (a local beer) and Sam Adams Boston Lager. Of course, went with the Sam's which was served in a Sam Adams glass. Unbelievable.

Jim Koch, head of Sam Adams, has certainly done a fantastic marketing job.

As a matter of fact, they even sent me 2 free Sam Adams glasses and a Sam Adams ball cap. Not sure why, but I think it was because I was on the list of charter subscribers to "Beer Advocate (http://beeradvocate.com/)" magazine.

(And yes, I was drinking my Harpoon IPA from one of those Sam Adams glasses. I love how the laser etching at the bottom of the glass makes that nice ring of bubbles! LOL!)

JustPJ66
06-28-2010, 07:52 AM
I looked into maybe getting Kev one of those glasses one year for Christmas but I was to cheap to pay that much money for a glass with a scratch in the bottom :)

pm28570
06-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I looked into maybe getting Kev one of those glasses one year for Christmas but I was to cheap to pay that much money for a glass with a scratch in the bottom :)

Aw...come on. It's Christmas! :D They're worth it.

WhereRWe?
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
RULost2? and I are in Ontario, Canada on our way to Illinois. Tonight I'm having Boreale Natural Ale (http://www.boreale.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=59&lang=eng) (Blonde). Not too bad - wish I'd bought something else, though...

:o:o

pm28570
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Currently enroute to Germany, arriving in Dusseldorf tomorrow morning. Later in the day in the small village of Keltzenberg, I will enjoy an Alt Bier at the inn. And perhaps followed by a weizen. :D

WhereRWe?
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Currently enroute to Germany, arriving in Dusseldorf tomorrow morning. Later in the day in the small village of Keltzenberg, I will enjoy an Alt Bier at the inn. And perhaps followed by a weizen. :D

We were in MA a couple of weeks ago, and I found a six-pack of Hofbrau. Sure brings back memories of the 2 weeks I spent in Munich many years ago.

What are you going to have after the weizen? :D:D

JustKev
08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I had a Coor's Light after work.

WhereRWe?
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Sheesh! They had free beer and pizza at the hotel tonight. RULost2? (who doesn't drink beer very often) had 2 Coors Light's, and said they tasted like bathwater! LOL! (They don't call it "Colorado Kool-Aid for nothing!) :D:D

pm28570
08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
What are you going to have after the weizen? :D:D

Most likely dinner :)

pm28570
08-05-2010, 08:31 AM

I'd much rather be in the States at FFJ's event. ;)

firefighterjake
08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Aww shucks . . . thanks.

WhereRWe?
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Sheesh! We like Jake, but I'd much rather be in Germany! :D:D

(And we even have an ATV, so we'll make at least one of the off-road caching events. LOL!)

pm28570
08-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Sheesh! We like Jake, but I'd much rather be in Germany! :D:D

(And we even have an ATV, so we'll make at least one of the off-road caching events. LOL!)

...the difference is I am here for work, not as a tourist. But I can still have a beer!

WhereRWe?
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, #1 son got his PHD this afternoon, and we retired to the "Chicago Underground (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35766-d521803-Reviews-Chicago_Underground_Grille-Carbondale_Illinois.html)" pub/restaurant. Since we'd had a big lunch at a great BBQ restaurant (sorry - can't find a link), we settled for bruschetta and pitcher of Schlafly's Pale Ale (http://www.schlafly.com/beers.shtml). Not too bad. Better after you've had a couple...

JustKev
08-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Well, #1 son got his PHD this afternoon, and we retired to the "Chicago Underground (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35766-d521803-Reviews-Chicago_Underground_Grille-Carbondale_Illinois.html)" pub/restaurant. Since we'd had a big lunch at a great BBQ restaurant (sorry - can't find a link), we settled for bruschetta and pitcher of Schlafly's Pale Ale (http://www.schlafly.com/beers.shtml). Not too bad. Better after you've had a couple...

I bet the son's PHD is better than the dad's.......as we've all seen here, dad's is Piled Higher and Deeper.

Congrats to you and your family on Son #1's accomplishment.

WhereRWe?
08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
I bet the son's PHD is better than the dad's.......as we've all seen here, dad's is Piled Higher and Deeper.

What's that supposed to mean? :confused::confused:

WhereRWe?
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Sheesh! Just found out that they don't sell beer on Sunday in Arkansas. Glad I was prepared! LOL! :D:D

hollora
08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Congrats on your son's PhD - that is an awesome accomplishment - one of which, I am sure you are very proud.

WhereRWe?
08-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Congrats on your son's PhD - that is an awesome accomplishment - one of which, I am sure you are very proud.

Yeah, we are. He's submitted job applications at the usual places: McDonalds, Best Buy, State Government... Hopefully he'll get something. LOL!

(Back on thread... We had dinner at Ruby Tuesday last night. They're considered a "private club" so they can serve beer, and you have to "sign in" when you enter. We had Sam Adams "Seasonal" Summer Ale.) :D:D

On to Texas!

WhereRWe?
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Dallas. Hot. 104 degrees. Sheesh!

(But at least they're "beer friendly" here. Went to a drive-thru beer store and got some "Modelo (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/1321)". Since we're in Texas, we need to try the "local" beer.)

(Which reminds me - we're taking RULost2?'s sister to a Turkish restaurant (http://www.cafe-istanbul.net/menu.htm) tonight, and I'm having an Efes (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/569/1506) beer (Refer to previous thread...)

JustKev
08-15-2010, 06:55 AM
News article on WCHS6 this morning......Beer prices going up 40%!!!!!

You two better stock up now.

WhereRWe?
08-15-2010, 03:44 PM
News article on WCHS6 this morning......Beer prices going up 40%!!!!!

You two better stock up now.

I Googled this and couldn't find anything. Sheesh! Maybe we dodged a bullet...

Tonight's beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager (http://www.yuengling.com/). (We'll be in Pennsylvania tomorrow - home of Yuengling - so I think I'll pick up a couple of cases to bring back in case JustKev is right! :D)

JustPJ66
08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
the news story said something about a poor barley crop in europe of something.

JustPJ66
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-07-02-beer-prices_N.htm

WhereRWe?
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Sheesh! Pennsylvania!

Yesterday I said that I was going to buy a couple of cases of Yuengling Traditional Lager to bring home. LOL! Silly me!

The Story:

My favorite supermarket inthe whole world is Wegman's (http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomepageView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&clear=true). More than a grocery store, more like a food "mall". Many stores have sushi bars, bagel bakeries, pizza shops, and (my favorite) a wood-fired bread oven for artisan breads.

So I do a Garmin search for a Wegman's, and find one on our route (Allentown, PA). We go to the store and load up the shopping cart with several items including some Dutch cheese, Lebanon Baloney, fresh bagels and croissants, 2 12-packs of Yuengling and 1 mixed 6-pack of exotic brews.

We go to the check-out, and the cashier tells us we can only buy 196 ounces of beer at a time, and then only at the store's "restaurant". (An interesting court case about Wegman's and their quest to sell beer at their "restaurant is here (http://extras.altoonamirror.com/ForTheRecord/Documents/wegmans.pdf).) So I stay with the groceries, and RULost2? takes the brew to the "restaurant". I'm waiting at the exit with my bags when I see her motioning to me. She only had one 12-pack, and say I have to go to the restaurant to buy the mixed 6-pack. You're only allowed to buy one "package" of beer. I want the mixed 6-pack to share with a specific beer-drinking friend, so I go to get it. I have to show my driver's license, but there is a problem because their driver's license scanning machine won't recognize the Maine license. Since the cashier has already gone through this with RULost2?, she looks at me and let's it go.

Sheesh! (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/02/buying_beer_the_battle_over_wh.html)

Word of advice: If you want to buy beer in Pennsylvania, go to what they call "distributors", where you can buy anything - like in a liquor store. (From experience on a previous trip - they have a fantastic selection - but you have to buy a case or more - no 6-packs!) And they're hard to find if you're not a local. I'll be glad to get back to Maine where you can buy beer in any store!

(Note: There is hope (http://www.freemybeer.com)!)

WhereRWe?
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Read this (http://www.freemybeer.com/stupid-beer-laws.aspx)!

Sudonim
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
OK, Maine has some screwed up laws, but the PA beer laws are VERY screwy.

fins2right
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
That I finally get to contribute to this post! I made a west coast trip to L.A. last week and tried two beers that I do not see around here. First was in O'Hare where I tried a Goose Rocks Honker Ale. Not bad, a lot like Sam's Boston Ale but a good overall beer. In Long Beach California I got to visit a place called "The Yard" (they now have a location near Fenway) Well over 100 beers on Tap. I tried an amazing beer called "Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat" I would love to find that on the shelf at Shaws. Beer On!

WhereRWe?
08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I tried an amazing beer called "Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat" I would love to find that on the shelf at Shaws. Beer On!

Most stores in Maine carry only the "usual suspects". We've been going to Boston a lot recently for RULost2?'s medical appointments (back again on the 31st!!!), and it is so interesting to see so many varieties of beer in the larger liquor stores. :D:D

pjpreb
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
We visited the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville, PA this summer (oldest brewery in America) They had caves dug into the hillside for storage space and to take advantage of natural refrigeration. It was a fascinating place and the beer was oh so yummy.;)

WhereRWe?
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
We visited the Yuengling brewery in Pottsville, PA this summer (oldest brewery in America) They had caves dug into the hillside for storage space and to take advantage of natural refrigeration. It was a fascinating place and the beer was oh so yummy.;)

Yes - Yuengling is very good. I have some in the fridge right now. :D:D

But thanks for the info on the brewery tour. We'll make a point of doing it the next time we're in the area. If you happen to head that way again, try and visit the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York. also a great tour and great brews. :D

WhereRWe?
09-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Tonight's brew: (my favorite) Moosehead (http://moosehead.ca/home/).

At the Last Cache Bashe event today, Parmachenee and Team2Hunt recommended "Arrogant Bastard Ale (http://www.arrogantbastard.com/index2.html)". I guess I'll have to try that.

I also mentioned that I had recently tried "Old Leghumper (http://thirstydog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=thirstydog&Category_Code=_beers)". I suggested that they don't bother to try and find it...

I talked to Hiram today. He didn't say much about beer. And he's trying to grow a beard. I don't know about Hiram...

WhereRWe?
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
After that last post, I was browsing the Moosehead website, and found this item (http://www.mooseheadcountrystore.com/products.cfm?argID=9B72B79B-7861-4E5E-A2DDD914E6B28466) in the Moosehead store that would be a great asset for geocachers!

Sheesh! Gotta get one of those...