View Full Version : It's not THAT hard is it?

LaughingTerry
05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
My last puzzle cache "Thank a Teacher (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d31b7c0-5110-4b87-bb10-6095ade48909)" has only had 5 finds since the end of march when I placed it. Is it really that hard of a puzzle? I figured it would have more than 5 finds by now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hiram357
05-16-2006, 11:14 PM
actually we all want to drive you nuts so none of us our logging our finds... :D

Sudonim
05-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I solved the puzzle fairly easily...except for the last two numbers on the west coord. Haven't gone over it recently, but I'd gotten stuck the first time I tried to solve it.

SewN2Cachin'
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
LT....I normally don't do puzzle caches, but seeing your post, I checked out the page, and I DON'T SEE a PUZZLE. All I have are the coords and the description/hint, no graphics come up. Maybe others are having this problem?

firefighterjake
05-17-2006, 06:12 AM
My last puzzle cache "Thank a Teacher (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d31b7c0-5110-4b87-bb10-6095ade48909)" has only had 5 finds since the end of march when I placed it. Is it really that hard of a puzzle? I figured it would have more than 5 finds by now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Well I was a dunce when it came to math (just ask my geometry, algebra and advanced algebra math class teachers!) so I wouldn't be the best person to ask. I honestly solved a couple of your other puzzles on my own (haven't gone to one of them though), confirmed another one's solution when I met you (still haven't made my way there to find it though) and there are a few that still stump me . . . and this is one of them I must confess.

WhereRWe?
05-17-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks

I concur with what another cacher said - the graphics aren't coming up. :( :(

WhereRWe?
05-17-2006, 06:29 AM

Thanks

Terry - I also note that 2 of the 5 finders had hints from you! LOL! (One is your former mother-in-law, and the other is your frequent caching companion! Sheesh!) And we know that Smitty is especially good at solving your puzzles - or maybe it's his kids... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
05-17-2006, 06:38 AM
There is no graphics puzzle on this one.:rolleyes: I am the biggest puzzle doofuss there is and I spotted the misspelled or incorrect words in the paragraph.:confused: Think about some of LTs other puzzles and it will make more sense. The cache name says it all. Sorry Terry if I am saying too much, but it looks like it needed a poll the audience.:p

Sabby
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
The next time I am up that way I plan on finding and logging it.

gpsxplr
05-17-2006, 09:13 AM
I took a look at this one and afraid I am stumped. But then I don't normally try puzzles very often, probably because I am really bad at solving them. From looking at some of your other caches I am guessing some letters have to be converted to numbers. However I don't even know how to begin. If its more complicated then using the phone or a=1, b=2, etc. than I'm lost.
Perhaps if there was a hint to get someone started like me.

P.S. (got straight A's in Math including Calculus)

firefighterjake
05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at one point wasn't there graphics on this page as well?

parmachenee
05-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I had started this puzzle when it was first published but when I went to finish it before a trip to do LT's caches, the puzzle had disappeared. Now it's a REAL PUZZLE???:D

Sabby
05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
You are correct there were graphics on the cache page as well. I just looked and they don't show up now. I wonder what happened.

Smitty & Co.
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
You are correct there were graphics on the cache page as well. I just looked and they don't show up now. I wonder what happened.

The graphics had nothing to do with the puzzle.......:rolleyes: ....look for the misspelled words and their positions in the paragraph and don't get stumped when you run out of misspelled words, from then on it should become obvious.:D ......0000000000000000000000000000

Sorry Terry.....but this should bring it a bit more traffic. :D

parmachenee
05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Now it comes back to me...I knew I had started this and just not seeing the graphics threw me. The aging process....what can I say!!:D

Mainiac1957
05-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Now it comes back to me...I knew I had started this and just not seeing the graphics threw me. The aging process....what can I say!!:D
Frank, I think you need to leave this one to Charron.

Hiram357
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
add up all the letters in each paragraph, and divide the the number of numbers in the coordinates, then becuase there were 3 pictures if you look at the #3 on your phone it starts with the letter D which is the 3rd letter of the alphabet if you dont count the vowels... coincedence.. i think not, that give you the #33!! so there you have the start of the North coords N 33....... I'll let you guys figure out the rest, it should be easy now that i've dropped that massive bomb of a hint! (dont forget to subtract the number of each syllable after dividing the constanants) hope this helps!

parmachenee
05-17-2006, 05:07 PM
add up all the letters in each paragraph, and divide the the number of numbers in the coordinates, then becuase there were 3 pictures if you look at the #3 on your phone it starts with the letter D which is the 3rd letter of the alphabet if you dont count the vowels... coincedence.. i think not, that give you the #33!! so there you have the start of the North coords N 33....... I'll let you guys figure out the rest, it should be easy now that i've dropped that massive bomb of a hint! (dont forget to subtract the number of each syllable after dividing the constanants) hope this helps!

I think I've got it....:confused: let me drink on this awhile!!:D ....or just let Charron take over...good suggestion Brad!

LaughingTerry
05-18-2006, 12:56 AM
I concur with what another cacher said - the graphics aren't coming up. :( :(

That's because there are no graphics. I took them out to keep people from getting confused about where the puzzle actually is. LOL

LaughingTerry
05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
From looking at some of your other caches I am guessing some letters have to be converted to numbers.

Perhaps if there was a hint to get someone started like me.

P.S. (got straight A's in Math including Calculus)

Actually you don't convert any letters to numbers. All you have to do is count. Math and calculus won't help as much as English and Spelling.

LaughingTerry
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Sorry Terry.....but this should bring it a bit more traffic. :D

It's OK Smitty, One of the things I love about Geocaching is that we can help each other out. My puzzles are not supposed to be hard to solve so if someone has trouble I don't think it detracts from the cache at all if they get help.

gpsxplr
05-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Actually you don't convert any letters to numbers. All you have to do is count. Math and calculus won't help as much as English and Spelling.

Thanks, I figured as much from the other post. I guess I am so used to solving complex problems at work I sometimes fail to see that the solution is actually much simpler.

I see how to get the N coord but run out of numbers. I could fill the rest with zeros or assume the first three since they are not likely to be different from the parking coords, but I am not sure. What I really wish is that my topo maps that I used in MapSource actually showed trails then it would be much easier to test the possibilities. I spent a lot on these maps and it seems as though they never show trails. I guess I could look at the maine atlas, but it would be some much cooler if I had a map on the computer.

parmachenee
05-18-2006, 09:19 AM
What I really wish is that my topo maps that I used in MapSource actually showed trails then it would be much easier to test the possibilities. I spent a lot on these maps and it seems as though they never show trails. I guess I could look at the maine atlas, but it would be some much cooler if I had a map on the computer.

Actually MapSource topo does show trails...check out Acadia National Park. They are indicated by dashes. I'm sure there are new trails being created everyday in preserves that they can't possibly keep up with.

gpsxplr
05-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Actually MapSource topo does show trails...check out Acadia National Park. They are indicated by dashes. I'm sure there are new trails being created everyday in preserves that they can't possibly keep up with.
I realize it show trails but I seem to always end up on one it doesn't show. I also have the national parks TOPO which is really good.

LaughingTerry
05-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I see how to get the N coord but run out of numbers. I could fill the rest with zeros or assume the first three since they are not likely to be different from the parking coords, but I am not sure.

Well, if there are no more mistakes and you are counting that would leave???
My Grandma always told me that when you assume you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". LOL

By the way, my puzzles always have the full coordinates so they are easier to figure out.

WhereRWe?
05-19-2006, 07:23 AM
By the way, my puzzles always have the full coordinates so they are easier to figure out.

Yeah - which means that once you figure out the first 2 numbers of the true coordinates - which are usually the first 2 numbers of the posted coordinates - you can figure out the rest. Sometimes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(OK, Terry. We give up. Post the REAL coordinates for "Thank a Teacher"! LOL!)

Sabby
05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
No No No Terry!!! Please do not post the coordinates. It is a great puzzle and needs to be figured out. The rewards of solving it are satisfying.

If you think you have it :confused: email Terry and ask for confirmation!

LaughingTerry
05-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Feel free to e-mail me for confirmation. While I won't give you the coordinates I will tell you which numbers you have wrong and try to gently lead you to the solution. LOL

I am thinking about making a mini-page on how to solve my puzzles. Whadda ya think?

WhereRWe?
05-20-2006, 05:59 AM
I am thinking about making a mini-page on how to solve my puzzles. Whadda ya think?

Great idea! That way, those that are good at puzzles can have fun, and dunces like me can still log the cache! ;) ;)

Hiram357
05-20-2006, 03:46 PM
No No No Terry!!! Please do not post the coordinates. It is a great puzzle and needs to be figured out. The rewards of solving it are satisfying.

If you think you have it :confused: email Terry and ask for confirmation!

I AGREE 100% AND A HALF! :D

firefighterjake
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Great idea! That way, those that are good at puzzles can have fun, and dunces like me can still log the cache! ;) ;)

You can stick a dunce hat on me as well Bruce. Some I get right away, others I have half a clue and others I have no idea of where to start.:D

Hiram357
05-21-2006, 12:05 AM
You can stick a dunce hat on me as well Bruce. Some I get right away, others I have half a clue and others I have no idea of where to start.:D

geeze J... whaddya need to even bother solving the puzzle??? just do what your magellan does and pick some random numbers and head off in a direction being sure to change your bearing every 500ft! :p :p :p :D :D :D

firefighterjake
05-21-2006, 06:28 AM
geeze J... whaddya need to even bother solving the puzzle??? just do what your magellan does and pick some random numbers and head off in a direction being sure to change your bearing every 500ft! :p :p :p :D :D :D

:D Sometimes it seems as though this is the way I find a cache . . . i.e. my experience yesterday looking for F-101B Voodoo . . . I must have wandered over half of the mountain and bushwhacked in instead of taking a trail.

gpsxplr
05-25-2006, 08:14 AM
This was great fun. Thanks a lot Terry.

Started my new travel bug here "Montana Griz Explorer" hopefully someone will find soon.

Thanks for the help in solving this one.

Kirk.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
This was great fun. Thanks a lot Terry.

Started my new travel bug here "Montana Griz Explorer" hopefully someone will find soon.

Thanks for the help in solving this one.

Kirk.

Hey , I got the TB. Hopefully will get it out in another cache in a day or two. LT thanks for another fun cache and a great puzzle!!