View Full Version : Moosehead Messenger Story on geocaching

vicbiker
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I was told at the resturant this morning that there was a story in last weeks messenger on the negative affects of geo caching.Looked all day for a copy ,no luck yet.This is a local paper in Greenville.Anyone know anything about this???

The G Team
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
I was told at the resturant this morning that there was a story in last weeks messenger on the negative affects of geo caching.Looked all day for a copy ,no luck yet.This is a local paper in Greenville.Anyone know anything about this???

Hmmm--perhaps that's why the lady at the campground up there didn't want to rent us campsites for the Geo 4x4 Rally :eek:

firefighterjake
05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Ah yes, the negative aspect of geocaching.

1. Sites with trash are often cleaned up when clearly the landowner would want the place looking like the Hampden landfill.

2. People get outdoors and exercise when they should clearly stay inside watching more TV while eating a heaping bowl of ice cream.

3. Families are doing a fun and relaxing activity together instead of everyone going their separate way, doing individual activities and having the parents rush from sport to sport or activity to activity.

4. Geocachers have led to an increased sale of consumer goods such as batteries, gas, food, etc. when we all should be hoarding our money in our mattress and waiting for the next Great Depression.

5. People are introduced to new scenic and historic places in this State that they might not have ever seen or learned about . . . instead of staying home and just looking it up on line.

----

Not having read the article . . . in fairness I suppose you could list geotrails, folks that tear through a property like a blackbear looking for grubs, people four wheeling and tearing up property so they don't have to walk an extra 100 feet, people who feel as though caches are a blight to the landscape (even if many of these same complainers have most likely gone right by a cache and never noticed it), the extra use of gas and tailpipe emissions caused by a "needless" trip while caching and people hiding caches on property without permission as possible problems.

vicbiker
05-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Tracked down a copy of last weeks paper the article wasn't as bad as I had been told.Titled: Geocachers Encouraged to Tread Lightly. Listed tips for responsible Geocaching,Tips for cache placers,and tips for cache seekers. Part of the article came from the Bureau of Land Management and part came from Tread Lightly. Mostly talking about geocaching on public lands.Just thought I 'd better clear this up before someone came after me. Vic

parmachenee
05-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Tracked down a copy of last weeks paper the article wasn't as bad as I had been told.Titled: Geocachers Encouraged to Tread Lightly. Listed tips for responsible Geocaching,Tips for cache placers,and tips for cache seekers. Part of the article came from the Bureau of Land Management and part came from Tread Lightly. Mostly talking about geocaching on public lands.Just thought I 'd better clear this up before someone came after me. Vic

I heard someone who drives a Subaru, likes reptiles and lives in California is looking for you!!:D

Mainiac1957
05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
You can read the Tread Lightly article here (http://www.keenpeople.com/index.php) It doesn't seem to have any great revelations. Mostly what all responsible cachers do anyway.