View Full Version : Maine Northwoods Tread Lightly® 4x4 Cache Rally

Hiram357
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
It's approved!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b6398475-250c-4d73-b2fe-0c833c1906ff

:D :D :D

tat
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Nice job! I am going to be in Mass. that day, but this is very tempting! I need to figure out how to do both! When you live in Vacatinoland, there is just too much to do!

WhereRWe?
05-25-2006, 08:44 PM
We've posted that we'll attend - tentatively. We'll take the old GOCACHE Explorer, do some fishing while you tear out your oilpans on Foster's Solitude (been there, done that cache), and maybe treat Hiram to a beer or two. Sounds like a fun ride.

(Sheesh! Sure beats these kayaking ideas that have been floating around (pun intended)! LOL! :p :p)

Hiram357
05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
We've posted that we'll attend - tentatively. We'll take the old GOCACHE Explorer, do some fishing while you tear out your oilpans on Foster's Solitude (been there, done that cache), and maybe treat Hiram to a beer or two. Sounds like a fun ride.

(Sheesh! Sure beats these kayaking ideas that have been floating around (pun intended)! LOL! :p :p)

Geeeze... an oversized Ford... not only will we have to bring extra chains to pull you around, but we'll have to bring chainsaws to make the road wider.... :p :D (heh, it's not that i don't like Fords... it's just that i don't like fords.... :rolleyes: )

WhereRWe?
05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Geeeze... an oversized Ford... not only will we have to bring extra chains to pull you around, but we'll have to bring chainsaws to make the road wider....

I'd wager a six-pack that my Explorer is narrower than your Jeep. :p :p

The G Team
05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, some Fords are OK--at least we're not talking GM! Exploder is about the same width as the XJ--I have lots of experience squeezing a full size Bronco down narrow trails (and the dents and scratches to prove it).

Hiram357
05-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I thought the explorer was the equivillent of the tahoe, oversized and can't pull itself...

WhereRWe?
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I thought the explorer was the equivillent of the tahoe, oversized and can't pull itself...

LOL! Worried you'd lose the bet? ;) ;)

Team2hunt
05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Now you've made me mad, :mad: and I'm bringing the Team Tahoe. :D

Hiram357
05-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Now you've made me mad, :mad: and I'm bringing the Team Tahoe. :D

Hey I never said anything bad about the Tahoe... just the truth :p :rolleyes: hehe... anyways.. before the gloves come off... Would someone of the kyaking sorts that will be adventuring with us on the journey such as yourself like to arrange a battle plan for the amphibious cachers???

The G Team
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd wager a six-pack that my Explorer is narrower than your Jeep. :p :p

Overall width of Jeep Cherokee = 67.9" - 70.5" (depending upon trim level & year).

'91 Exploder (first year) = 70.2"
2006 Exploder = 73.7"

So, I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure to settle this one fellas--could go either way!

Sudonim
05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Overall width of Jeep Cherokee = 67.9" - 70.5" (depending upon trim level & year).

'91 Exploder (first year) = 70.2"
2006 Exploder = 73.7"

So, I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure to settle this one fellas--could go either way!

When two guys break out a tape measure to settle a bet, it's never a good thing:rolleyes: :eek:

The G Team
05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
When two guys break out a tape measure to settle a bet, it's never a good thing:rolleyes: :eek:

That is a mental picture I did not need! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

attroll
05-26-2006, 12:01 AM
AWESOME. I am definitely in on this one unless something pops up. I have a 4x4 and should be all set as long as it holds up. I have stayed at the campsite before and this is a nice cozy place. The water supply is iffy sometimes because it is not well water, it comes off the mountain. So you might want to bring some water. There is an port-a-potty on hand also and a small store. The store does not sell alcohol so if you want some drinks you will have to get them ahead of time.

firefighterjake
05-26-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm working on an article about a local guy who won a contest in FourWheeler magazine and ended up being sent to Moab, Utah. Afterwards he took me for a short ride in his highly modified Jeep . . . wowzers, I never knew what a Jeep could do -- at one point I was convinced we were going to roll it as one wheel had two feet of clearance while the other was squashed right into the wheel well. Now this was truly a four wheeling experience -- the guy owns something like 4-5 registered Jeeps and Scouts, a Unimog and about 24 Jeeps and Scouts in various states of repair/disrepair.

Just for a little clarification . . . what type of four wheeling does this trip entail . . . we're not talking extreme rock climbing, two foot thick mudholes, winches required, etc. are we . . . or are we not?

d’76
05-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Brad you can ride with Connie and I. I will try and keep my schedule open.:D

The G Team
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Just for a little clarification . . . what type of four wheeling does this trip entail . . . we're not talking extreme rock climbing, two foot thick mudholes, winches required, etc. are we . . . or are we not?

This will mostly be gravel roads--if it rains, there might be a little mud. There is the possibility of vehicle damage on Fosters Solitude--you will need some halfway decent ground clearance as the trail is very rocky (my unlifted Cherokee was fine). Last year there was a washout that I felt more comfortable being spotted thru, which we will do if necessary. Also, the trail is fairly narrow in spots, so you might get some "Pine Tree Pinstriping" from the brush on either side. None of the other trails should be any problem.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-26-2006, 08:13 AM
We should be able to make it! The Toyota is up to the challenge... I hope...LOL!!! Sounds like fun and the good news is, I have a camp not to far away, with an indoor potty and shower...yeehaa! Bring on the boiled Lobsters and corn on the cob!!!!:D :D :D

d’76
05-26-2006, 08:50 AM
We should be able to make it! The Toyota is up to the challenge... I hope...LOL!!! Sounds like fun and the good news is, I have a camp not to far away, with an indoor potty and shower...yeehaa! Bring on the boiled Lobsters and corn on the cob!!!!:D :D :D

Ummm

Lobster:D

firefighterjake
05-26-2006, 08:59 AM
This will mostly be gravel roads--if it rains, there might be a little mud. There is the possibility of vehicle damage on Fosters Solitude--you will need some halfway decent ground clearance as the trail is very rocky (my unlifted Cherokee was fine). Last year there was a washout that I felt more comfortable being spotted thru, which we will do if necessary. Also, the trail is fairly narrow in spots, so you might get some "Pine Tree Pinstriping" from the brush on either side. None of the other trails should be any problem.

This sounds up my alley then . . . I have no problems with muddy, rutted up gravel roads (but I'm not too keen on rock climbing) . . . and I have no issues with possible scratches since you can get those in the parking lot at Walmart (or in my case by a very, very bad dog who jumped up on my 4Runner door while delivering turkeys to the needy one Thanksgiving . . . and the guy had the gall to ask why (and become ticked off) we didn't have a free turkey basket for his brother, mother, other welfare-sucking-non-working friend-family member.

I may have to reconsider doing a group event since they're not my usual thing. But I do enjoy riding on the backroads and camping. Thanks for the reply.

firefighterjake
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM

Make it a rib-eye and I'm there. :D

firefighterjake
05-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Thought some of you might like to see some photos I took of this serious off-roading Jeep . . . the photos don't really do it justice since it looks as though he's only going down a small incline when in fact I was convinced we were going to roll over on the side!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=1419&size=1

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=1418&size=1

Hiram357
06-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah... this is cool... I think we should do this...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2A807520-7CCB-48E6-94FA-89D98FB6F2D2.htm (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2A807520-7CCB-48E6-94FA-89D98FB6F2D2.htm)

firefighterjake
06-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah... this is cool... I think we should do this...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2A807520-7CCB-48E6-94FA-89D98FB6F2D2.htm (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2A807520-7CCB-48E6-94FA-89D98FB6F2D2.htm)

That is a travesty!:eek: Take a perfectly good vehicle and make it into something totally useless.

Hiram357
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
That is a travesty!:eek: Take a perfectly good vehicle and make it into something totally useless.

are you talking about the hummers??? :confused: if you're talking about the jeeps.... i hope you're joking... ;)

firefighterjake
06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
are you talking about the hummers??? :confused: if you're talking about the jeeps.... i hope you're joking... ;)

Yeah, the Humvee.

Hiram357
06-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the Humvee.

Ok.... I was afraid I was gunna have too... nevermind.... :rolleyes: :D :p

firefighterjake
06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a suspicion that this event will not be in the area for the Tread Lightly event, but I thought some folks might want to be aware of it just in case it is in that neck of the woods . . . or in case anyone is interested in the sport.

http://www.maineforestrally.com/

The G Team
06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
I have a suspicion that this event will not be in the area for the Tread Lightly event, but I thought some folks might want to be aware of it just in case it is in that neck of the woods . . . or in case anyone is interested in the sport.

http://www.maineforestrally.com/

That would be fun--though $1,000 entry fee for "national" status-wow! Only $50 to pre-run it, though.

Hiram357
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
That would be fun--though $1,000 entry fee for "national" status-wow! Only $50 to pre-run it, though.

let's scrape some cash together and show em what XJs can really do!

*Off topic question* Is there a difference between 2way radios and CB radios???

The G Team
06-13-2006, 07:28 PM
let's scrape some cash together and show em what XJs can really do!

Have you ever checked out the JeepSeed competitions? It is strictly XJs and pretty wild.

*Off topic question* Is there a difference between 2way radios and CB radios???

I suppose the difference would be that all CBs are two-way radios, but not all two-way radios are CBs.

Hiram357
06-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I suppose the difference would be that all CBs are two-way radios, but not all two-way radios are CBs.

so if it depends on the 2way radio then??? cuz i was thinking of putting a CB in the Jeep... but was debating between that or just getting a 2way handheld

Mainiac1957
06-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd be inclined to get a set of good FRS radios. Some of them have really good range. CB have better range if there is anyone out there to hear you.

Hiram357
06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I'd be inclined to get a set of good FRS radios. Some of them have really good range. CB have better range if there is anyone out there to hear you. but would a 2way be able to communicate with a CB and a CB with a 2way??

The G Team
06-14-2006, 05:37 AM
but would a 2way be able to communicate with a CB and a CB with a 2way??

OK, let's try again. 2 way radio is a generic term, like "vehicle"--a Jeep is a vehicle, but not all vehicles are Jeeps. CB, FRS, GMRS, 10 Meter, 2 Meter, 6 Meter, Marine band are all 2 way radios that communicate on different frequencies. Many Geocachers use FRS (Channel 2, I believe) radios--the are relatively cheap, very small, and have a decent range. CB has a better range, but the mobile units are very large to carry hiking. The ham bands, like 2 meters have even more range, and some are very compact--the propblem is cost and you need to obtain an FCC license (take a test :eek:) to legally transmit with them (you can always listen). Make sense?

P.S. FRS/GMRS will not communicate with a CB--CBs are AM, FRS/GMRS are FM.

Smitty & Co.
06-14-2006, 09:32 AM
These are some of the reasons I own a Garmin RINO 130, pretty much does it all and even has weather bands that will give your up-to-date forecasts 24-7 Also I believe the FCC gave garmin a waiver on having the license....at least in Canada, not sure about the USA
The point to point positioning is also a great feature with these units if there are other RINO users in your group

The G Team
06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
These are some of the reasons I own a Garmin RINO 130, pretty much does it all and even has weather bands that will give your up-to-date forecasts 24-7 Also I believe the FCC gave garmin a waiver on having the license....at least in Canada, not sure about the USA
The point to point positioning is also a great feature with these units if there are other RINO users in your group

I belive the Rhino uses FRS frequency? FRS requires no license in the US--GMRS does. The radios I have do both FRS and GMRS. GMRS just has a bit more range and some additional channels--there is no test for a GMRS license--just a $70 fee :eek: for the whole family.

brdad
06-14-2006, 10:18 AM
So, since we're on subject here...

Does anyone know there are "official" FRS/GMRS geocaching channels?

Better yet, what are those channels?

I think it'd be neat if we all used them more, I know there are many times we've barely missed other cachers while out on the trail.

The G Team
06-14-2006, 11:34 AM
So, since we're on subject here...

Does anyone know there are "official" FRS/GMRS geocaching channels?

Better yet, what are those channels?

I think it'd be neat if we all used them more, I know there are many times we've barely missed other cachers while out on the trail.

I'm pretty sure it is Channel two.

brdad
06-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it is Channel two.

That's right! And the alternate channel?

The G Team
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
That's right! And the alternate channel?

Of course, it is channel 12 FRS.

What is it Europe?

Smitty & Co.
06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
I belive the Rhino uses FRS frequency? FRS requires no license in the US--GMRS does. The radios I have do both FRS and GMRS. GMRS just has a bit more range and some additional channels--there is no test for a GMRS license--just a $70 fee :eek: for the whole family.

Nope, the RINO uses both frequencies. You are right about the fee though, the waiver by the FCC only allows for the positioning/polling feature.....I guess:confused: .....I'll have to research this further to make sure I'm not breaking any laws, :eek: I guess its not a worry in Canada from what I get from this clip off the website. I already have their software update and I've not had any problems using both frequencies and the positioning/polling feature. If anyone knows the short answer to this please let me know.

Here is the clip off the Garmin RINO 130 webpage:

We are pleased to announce that the FCC has granted Garmin a waiver that will allow the Rino series units to send position data on GMRS channels. In addition, Industry Canada has established a license-free GMRS service. Canadian Rino units will now allow users access to GMRS channels. Position sending/polling will also be allowed on Canadian GMRS channels. These new capabilities are available with a simple software update (http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?product=010-00270-03) obtained free of charge from the Garmin Web site.

Smitty & Co.
06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Using GMRS frequency in the U.S. DOES requires a FCC license

I found my short answer.............:)

Hiram357
06-14-2006, 11:20 PM
OK, let's try again. 2 way radio is a generic term, like "vehicle"--a Jeep is a vehicle, but not all vehicles are Jeeps. CB, FRS, GMRS, 10 Meter, 2 Meter, 6 Meter, Marine band are all 2 way radios that communicate on different frequencies. Many Geocachers use FRS (Channel 2, I believe) radios--the are relatively cheap, very small, and have a decent range. CB has a better range, but the mobile units are very large to carry hiking. The ham bands, like 2 meters have even more range, and some are very compact--the propblem is cost and you need to obtain an FCC license (take a test :eek:) to legally transmit with them (you can always listen). Make sense?

P.S. FRS/GMRS will not communicate with a CB--CBs are AM, FRS/GMRS are FM.

ahhhhh!!! so i can use my jeep as a two way vehicle! :D
thanks for clearing that up.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Using GMRS frequency in the U.S. DOES requires a FCC license

I found my short answer.............:)

LOL,,,I got a set of 35 dollar radios that is going to cost me 70 dollars a year to use. Hmmmm, what is the fine if you get caught .....LOL :o

The G Team
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
LOL,,,I got a set of 35 dollar radios that is going to cost me 70 dollars a year to use. Hmmmm, what is the fine if you get caught .....LOL :o

I *believe* it is up to $10,000, and/or up to 10 years in the slammer--the FCC site is not the easiet to navigate, but that is what I found mentioned on other sites.

This only applies to radios with GMRS capability--FRS is totally unlicensed.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I *believe* it is up to $10,000, and/or up to 10 years in the slammer--the FCC site is not the easiet to navigate, but that is what I found mentioned on other sites.

This only applies to radios with GMRS capability--FRS is totally unlicensed.

I got a set of radios just the other day as a gift, they have 7 FRS and 15 GMRS channels. So Ill be all set 1/3 of the time...LOL

The G Team
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I got a set of radios just the other day as a gift, they have 7 FRS and 15 GMRS channels. So Ill be all set 1/3 of the time...LOL

LOL! Actually, I believe as the law is written, any radio that has GMRS frequencies and a removable antenna require a license to operate. FRS is closely regulated to size of antenna and power output--anything more (which most GMRS radios have) requires a license. Will you every get caught, unlikely, but it is something to be aware of.

Hiram357
06-30-2006, 02:10 PM
OK! Here's the way the schedule is looking so far...

Sat. Morning we meet for the event at the resturaunt 6:00am

we will then proceed north and do some easy caches on the way to the campsite...

Under The Waterfall
(GCR618)
Moxie Trail Crossing
(GCJM2B)
Fossils Rock
(GCK7B8)

From there we will head up to the campsite, set up and have lunch.
At which point those wishing to go Kyaking/Canoeing can go their seperate ways. (we'll be right by the Kennebec and Dead River)

Then those of us land bound folk will take off for Fosters Solitude (GC689A) and do that cache before heading back to camp for the evening.

Sunday
We'll pack up camp and head out for...

Hatch Falls
(GCW2FG)
Pitman Mt.
(GC7ADD)
Parrot Siding
(GCQDH6)
Arc De Brook
(GCVWG6)

And those of us that survive will head home after that.

Please let us know what you think, comments, suggestions, and cash are gladly accepted.

attroll
07-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. We may find some time to throw a couple more in there too.

The G Team
07-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. We may find some time to throw a couple more in there too.

There are lots more caches in the area, and close to the route Aaron and I hammered out--we tried to avoid highlighting "stop and grabs" and focus on ones that might be more challenging to drive to. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to grab many of the ones we didn't list for those who are so inclined. One thing to remember in this area is that a cache can be a mile from another cache, but you "just can't get there from here". As it is, conditions will be a bit unknown. Logging roads change and bridges and roads wash out often--roaming around up there is always a bit of an adventure!

WhereRWe?
07-01-2006, 10:21 PM
There are lots more caches in the area, and close to the route Aaron and I hammered out--we tried to avoid highlighting "stop and grabs" and focus on ones that might be more challenging to drive to. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to grab many of the ones we didn't list for those who are so inclined. One thing to remember in this area is that a cache can be a mile from another cache, but you "just can't get there from here". As it is, conditions will be a bit unknown. Logging roads change and bridges and roads wash out often--roaming around up there is always a bit of an adventure!

I see that you're planning on getting LaughingTerry's "Under the Waterfall", then on to our "Moxie Trail Crossing", then on to "Fossil Rock". That will take you almost to Pleasant Pond and back to Route 201 in Caratunk. You may want to split up and have a group hit our "Moxie Falls" cache on a "northerly" route back to US Route 201 at The Forks. Although it appears that someone has moved this cache, we'll do maintenance on it this week to make sure it's OK.

I have to say - that the route along the old railroad bed from Bingham to Lake Moxie is one of the prettiest trips in the area! You're almost guaranteed to see moose. :) :) (Bring your fishing rod if you have a license)

attroll
07-01-2006, 11:01 PM
I see that you're planning on getting LaughingTerry's "Under the Waterfall", then on to our "Moxie Trail Crossing", then on to "Fossil Rock". That will take you almost to Pleasant Pond and back to Route 201 in Caratunk. You may want to split up and have a group hit our "Moxie Falls" cache on a "northerly" route back to US Route 201 at The Forks. Although it appears that someone has moved this cache, we'll do maintenance on it this week to make sure it's OK.

I have to say - that the route along the old railroad bed from Bingham to Lake Moxie is one of the prettiest trips in the area! You're almost guaranteed to see moose. :) :) (Bring your fishing rod if you have a license)

The order I saw was:
Under The Waterfall
Moxie Trail Crossing
Fossils Rock

It looks like he has it set so we are going to do a big loop and head back to the campground. That will have us going up Dead Water road to Trestle road which use to be the all railroad line up to your cache at Moxie Trail Crossing and then over to Fossil Rock on Boise road. If people have not hit Moxie Falls cache that could be an option. I am all for keeping it on the back logging road if we can though.

I have gone down the old Trestle road a few times and it is always a nice ride. I remember one time I was coming up from Bingham on the Trestle road going to the AT and got almost all the way to Moxie Pond and hit a washout I could not get past. I have top go all the way out and then go around the long way. That made it a long day. But when I got to the washout there was a lady laying on the ground with he 4 wheeler waiting for an ambulance to come in to get her. It seems her 4 wheeler flipped over and broke her hip bone. I am sure glad I did not have to ride that ambulance out on that bumpy road with a broken hip bone. It probably cost a arm and a leg to get the ambulance out there too.

Mainiac1957
07-02-2006, 06:38 AM
I am sure glad I did not have to ride that ambulance out on that bumpy road with a broken hip bone. It probably cost a arm and a leg to get the ambulance out there too.

So now the lady was missing an arm AND a leg as well as a broken hip. Wow pricey! :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't resist.:D

WhereRWe?
07-02-2006, 07:23 AM
The order I saw was:
Under The Waterfall
Moxie Trail Crossing
Fossils Rock

It looks like he has it set so we are going to do a big loop and head back to the campground. That will have us going up Dead Water road to Trestle road which use to be the all railroad line up to your cache at Moxie Trail Crossing and then over to Fossil Rock on Boise road. If people have not hit Moxie Falls cache that could be an option. I am all for keeping it on the back logging road if we can though.

I have gone down the old Trestle road a few times and it is always a nice ride. I remember one time I was coming up from Bingham on the Trestle road going to the AT and got almost all the way to Moxie Pond and hit a washout I could not get past. I have top go all the way out and then go around the long way. That made it a long day. But when I got to the washout there was a lady laying on the ground with he 4 wheeler waiting for an ambulance to come in to get her. It seems her 4 wheeler flipped over and broke her hip bone. I am sure glad I did not have to ride that ambulance out on that bumpy road with a broken hip bone. It probably cost a arm and a leg to get the ambulance out there too.

I'm very familiar with these roads - been traveling on them for many years. (I first traveled the Bingham/Moxie rail bed probably 35 years ago, BEFORE it was a road! LOL!)

My only feeling was that "Fossil Rock" is a long stretch, which brings you back DOWN to Caratunk via the PAVED road from Moxie to the Boise Road, and on a PAVED road from Pleasant Pond to Caratunk. Then on a PAVED road from Caratunk to you camping area. You'd still be traveling over the same stretches of "back logging roads", but with the addition of Moxie Falls, which is a fantastic spot if someone hasn't been there. :p :p

Another suggestion (to try and hit all the caches in the area) would be to hit the Moxie Falls cache, then back to the Boise Road to do Fossils Rock.

attroll
07-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I believe we are hitting Fossils Rock last after we have come around by Moxie Falls and going back down 201 and heading up to Fossils Rock from Caratunk. I think that was what Mike was saying. But this is all subject to change deciding on what everyone agrees to at breakfast that morning.

firefighterjake
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I am sure glad I did not have to ride that ambulance out on that bumpy road with a broken hip bone. It probably cost a arm and a leg to get the ambulance out there too.

In regards to the first sentence: Morphine is a beautiful thing! :D

In regards to the second sentence: If the ambulance had a paramedic on board to give morphine I would be willing to bet that the person would have willingly given their arm and leg for the pain control!:D

The G Team
07-02-2006, 09:52 PM
I believe we are hitting Fossils Rock last after we have come around by Moxie Falls and going back down 201 and heading up to Fossils Rock from Caratunk. I think that was what Mike was saying. But this is all subject to change deciding on what everyone agrees to at breakfast that morning.

That was pretty much our plan. We figured that would put us at the camping area by noon so we could set up camp and head out again w/o all the gear.

Hiram357
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah, we are hoping to work our way up to the camp so we can dump our gear than go hit fosters with a lighter load. We were pretty much assuming that there are going to be caches around that people will want to grab, so we figured our basic route would give everyone an idea of the direction we'll be heading. But we are set on doing fosters after setting up (we don't want to start that one too late in the day) Everything else is fair game! :D

attroll
07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I have been thinking about this a little. I think our first order of business after breakfast should be to head to the campsite. This way the people that are coming in cars can park there cars and head back out with the people in trucks. If there are caches along the way to the campsite that cars and trucks can do then that would be fine. But I think our first order of business should be to part the cars at the campsite and head back out in the trucks.

Hiram357
07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I have been thinking about this a little. I think our first order of business after breakfast should be to head to the campsite. This way the people that are coming in cars can park there cars and head back out with the people in trucks. If there are caches along the way to the campsite that cars and trucks can do then that would be fine. But I think our first order of business should be to part the cars at the campsite and head back out in the trucks.

hmmmm.... keen observation there Rick... brings up a few questions, like how many people are planning on driving something un-offroadworthy? And what caches are en-route to campsite... and it would be nice to have a total headcount... I'm still getting emails from people saying they're thinking about coming (even though we posted to reply before the end of last month) but we're not going to turn anyone away because of it. Does anyone have any more cache suggestions or off-road suggestions?

attroll
07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
The only way your going to know who is going to come is the day of the event at breakfast. When they show up you will know they are there. That is how events turn out. People say there coming and don't show. Then you have the people who don't know or don't post but end up coming. The is the way an event goes. So the best way to do it is to all sit down at breakfast and see what happens.

Cache Maine
07-08-2006, 03:28 AM
I was actually thinking about coming just for Breakfast. Will that work? I have heard 6 am but do we know where in Fairfield?

Mainiac1957
07-08-2006, 06:15 AM
I was actually thinking about coming just for Breakfast. Will that work? I have heard 6 am but do we know where in Fairfield?
Cam, The posted coords are for the restaurant;)

firefighterjake
07-08-2006, 06:55 AM
hmmmm.... keen observation there Rick... brings up a few questions, like how many people are planning on driving something un-offroadworthy? And what caches are en-route to campsite... and it would be nice to have a total headcount... I'm still getting emails from people saying they're thinking about coming (even though we posted to reply before the end of last month) but we're not going to turn anyone away because of it. Does anyone have any more cache suggestions or off-road suggestions?

Believe it or not I am about 90.3% certain that I will actually be attending this cache event and break my long-standing self-imposed ban on attending cache events . . . the combination of camping, geocaching and off-roading is just too much of a temptation to me.

WhereRWe?
07-08-2006, 06:57 AM

I need to check our Moxie Falls cache, and will do it tomorrow. Barring any recent washouts - which I will report on tomorrow - the route you have planned can be covered in anything but a REAL LOW sedan.

Sheesh! You guys think you're getting out into the DEEP DARK WOODS! LOL!
This is my backyard - literally! :p :p

Cache Maine
07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Cam, The posted coords are for the restaurant;)

:o No, I can't believe I asked that question either. oh gees!

Hiram357
07-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Sheesh! You guys think you're getting out into the DEEP DARK WOODS! LOL!
This is my backyard - literally! :p :p

haha, no where just going places that sedans can't :p We figured that not everyone owns a Jeep so we might as well make a 4x4 rally that fords (... and tahoes :p ) can do.... :D :rolleyes:

attroll
07-12-2006, 12:52 AM
I thought I would mention something else for the kayakers that may be coming to this event and spending the night.

A good trip to do on Sunday in The Forks area is the Kennebec River. You can put in at the bridge in The Forks and paddle to the Caratunk boat launch. Tink and I have done that trip several times and we would do it again in a heart beat, but Tink has to work this weekend and if I ride with Mike then I will not be able to bring my kayak. If we have enough people that may be interested in doing this I could be talked into brining my truck and kayak though.

WhereRWe?
07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I thought I would mention something else for the kayakers that may be coming to this event and spending the night.

A good trip to do on Sunday in The Forks area is the Kennebec River. You can put in at the bridge in The Forks and paddle to the Caratunk boat launch.

And keep in mind that there is a cache at the Caratunk boat launch (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=442a210d-92cb-4ef5-b7af-2e78c914e4f4) (we maintain this one - it almost didn't get listed because it was a "vacation" cache, but we volunteered to be responsible for it - before we understood about actually adopting a cache! LOL!)

And the "Castaway" cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ff3ad27-58a3-419e-b611-eb2af08e5db3) on Lake Moxie would be a good trip. It's only been found once this year... :D :D

Haffy
07-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Sheesh Bruce why don't you officially adopt it and make it yours with your name attached to it?

RanMan22
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Sheesh Bruce why don't you officially adopt it and make it yours with your name attached to it?

...And rename it to the "Sheeeesh cache", too? :D :D :D :D

-RanMan22

attroll
07-14-2006, 12:54 AM
And keep in mind that there is a cache at the Caratunk boat launch (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=442a210d-92cb-4ef5-b7af-2e78c914e4f4) (we maintain this one - it almost didn't get listed because it was a "vacation" cache, but we volunteered to be responsible for it - before we understood about actually adopting a cache! LOL!)

And the "Castaway" cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3ff3ad27-58a3-419e-b611-eb2af08e5db3) on Lake Moxie would be a good trip. It's only been found once this year... :D :D

Thanks for the reminder I had forgot about this one. We have done it but it will be very close to where will be staying for the night. It will be a quick and easy find for others.

firefighterjake
07-14-2006, 08:27 AM
OK, it's about 99.9% official. I'm breaking my long-standing aversion to group geocaching events and am planning on attending this event.

Furthermore, I want to extend an invitation to anyone who is 4 x 4 less and would like to come along for the ride . . . it's either that or I'll end up going crazy talking to myself in the 4Runner.

attroll
07-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Now that should give more people a reason to go. They will get to meet the elusive Firefighterjake.

firefighterjake
07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Now that should give more people a reason to go. They will get to meet the elusive Firefighterjake.

Now, now . . . I'm not that elusive (you make it sound like I'm as elusive as the hairy Sasquatch or as mysterious as Nessie). You and I met on snowmobiles and I interviewed Noreasta . . . and I knew Dave1976 from when he worked in Bangor . . . and I met Maniac, TRF, Hiram (and Hiram's better half) and Dave1976 (again) when they came down to Unity.

attroll
07-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Now, now . . . I'm not that elusive (you make it sound like I'm as elusive as the hairy Sasquatch or as mysterious as Nessie). You and I met on snowmobiles and I interviewed Noreasta . . . and I knew Dave1976 from when he worked in Bangor . . . and I met Maniac, TRF, Hiram (and Hiram's better half) and Dave1976 (again) when they came down to Unity.
Ok you may not be that elusive but you and Sasquatch do have something in common.

firefighterjake
07-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Ok you may not be that elusive but you and Sasquatch do have something in common.

Well it can't be that we're both hairy since my wife says I am slowly going bald . . . I can't see it so I just have to take her word on it.

Is it that we're both huge? Both of us walk with an ungainly gait? We both smell? ;) :D

Mainiac1957
07-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Jake maybe Rick knows that Sasquatch uses a Magellan and that's why he's always lost in the woods.:D :p

Hiram357
07-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Jake maybe Rick knows that Sasquatch uses a Magellan and that's why he's always lost in the woods.:D :p

Heh, I bet Sasquatch has blurry pictures of Jake!! :D :D :D

RanMan22
07-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Heh, I bet Sasquatch has blurry pictures of Jake!! :D :D :D

I think the thing that they have in common is that neither of them has been in my kitchen. (An old Cheers reference, for anyone who remembers...) :D

LOL.

-RanMan22

WhereRWe?
07-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone know what camping area the group is staying at? Or the coordinates?

I went to The Forks this morning - lunchtime - checked all the camping sites I could find, but couldn't find a cacher. Sheesh! I had to bring the 12-pack home and drink it myself! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd like to join the group for the caches scheduled for tomorrow... :confused: :confused:

becket
07-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I went to The Forks this morning - lunchtime - checked all the camping sites I could find, but couldn't find a cacher. Sheesh! I had to bring the 12-pack home and drink it myself! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd like to join the group for the caches scheduled for tomorrow... :confused: :confused:

try again NEXT weekend. :rolleyes: geez! that's what happens when you get old - you get confused. (i know all about being old and confused!) :D :D :D

WhereRWe?
07-15-2006, 04:29 PM
try again NEXT weekend. :rolleyes: geez! that's what happens when you get old - you get confused. (i know all about being old and confused!) :D :D :D

Sheesh! And ANOTHER birthday next month? It's going to get worse...

:o :o

(Thanks, Becket. :D :D )

(And the beer was going to be a surprise - next weekend they'll be expecting it! LOL!)

becket
07-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Sheesh! And ANOTHER birthday next month? It's going to get worse...

:o :o

(Thanks, Becket. :D :D )

i am right behind you - i have ANOTHER birthday in sept! it IS getting worse! :rolleyes:

Haffy
07-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Ha Ha Ha Bruce. I dont' feel so bad now.....:D Becket just informed me that I DNF'ed a cache that I did yesterday where I posted a log that I found it. You know what the first thing that goes is right?

WhereRWe?
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
You know what the first thing that goes is right?

No, what? :confused: :confused:

WhereRWe?
07-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Anyway, my mental lapse allows me to make the following report:

We rode the Deadwater road from Bingham to Moxie last week. In good shape, if you discount a few potholes. Not much traffic, either, considering. On the way through, you might want tpo check along the power lines to see if you can find a few early blueberries. Should be raspberries in the cutovers, as well. This is one of my favorite trips in Maine. The ride along the shores of Lake Moxie - along old railbed of the Somerset Railroad (http://www.msad54.org/sams/projects/historyPages/school_sams11_files/schools_sams11b.htm) is goegeous.

We also did the Boise road from Mosie to Pleasant Pond. Also in pretty good shape.

If someone wants to take a regular car over these routes should be no problem other than the need to slow down for the potholes.

:D :D

Hiram357
07-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Anyone know what camping area the group is staying at? Or the coordinates?

Since you have already been corrected, I'll spare you the torment... but I do have to laugh at it... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D Bring the beer next weekend Bruce!

P.S. I think Mike was going to try and get up there this weekend to waypoint the coords of the campground.

Hiram357
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Anyway, my mental lapse allows me to make the following report:

We rode the Deadwater road from Bingham to Moxie last week. In good shape, if you discount a few potholes. Not much traffic, either, considering. On the way through, you might want tpo check along the power lines to see if you can find a few early blueberries. Should be raspberries in the cutovers, as well. This is one of my favorite trips in Maine. The ride along the shores of Lake Moxie - along old railbed of the Somerset Railroad (http://www.msad54.org/sams/projects/historyPages/school_sams11_files/schools_sams11b.htm) is goegeous.

We also did the Boise road from Mosie to Pleasant Pond. Also in pretty good shape.

If someone wants to take a regular car over these routes should be no problem other than the need to slow down for the potholes.

yeah, but I wouldn't reccomend a car for fosters solitude :D

The G Team
07-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Yup, had planned to run up today, but had a medical emergency, so will go up tomorrow. Got all the TreadLightly goodies in the mail yesterday, so we should be good to go (hopefully the weather will cooperate!).

Since you have already been corrected, I'll spare you the torment... but I do have to laugh at it... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D Bring the beer next weekend Bruce!

P.S. I think Mike was going to try and get up there this weekend to waypoint the coords of the campground.

WhereRWe?
07-16-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah, but I wouldn't reccomend a car for fosters solitude :D

We tool the old Geocache Explorer all the way to the top, but we certainly wouldn't recommend it. Easy way to tear out a transmission or oil pan! LOL!

But you can drive quite a way up to lessen the walk. :D :D

firefighterjake
07-21-2006, 11:11 AM
So does anyone have a rough count for how many are going to this event?

attroll
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I will be coming with The G Team. The wife has to work so I will be alone.

Do we bring our travel bugs to the breakfast?

Cache Maine
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I will be coming with The G Team. The wife has to work so I will be alone.

Do we bring our travel bugs to the breakfast?

Yeah, is the breakfast still at 6 am?

The G Team
07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
10-4, Cam. Rick and I hope to be there 5:30/5:45ish.

Michael

Yeah, is the breakfast still at 6 am?

Hiram357
07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
So does anyone have a rough count for how many are going to this event?

only a few hundred... oh and we signed you up to give the lecture. :D

we're guessing around 20 or 30

attroll
07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I just got back from the Tread Lightly 4X4 event this weekend. The first day started out with breakfast. Then we did a few caches on the way to setting up camp. After camp was set up WhereRWe? Showed up and we convinced him into taking up to his cache and to Fosters Solitude and departed from there. From Foster’s we did all the caches along the trestle road and all roads branching off from it.

Sunday was the best day off all. After packing we headed to Greenville through the back way hitting all the old logging roads. We hit one old logging road that was pretty long and this was where the 4 wheel drives came in handy. This was what this trip was all about. The logging road was pretty washed out, but with it was passable with 4 wheel drive vehicles. Some spots were a little iffy but with 4 vehicles we have enough to help anyone that got into any trouble. But we never had to do that. This was fun.

Once in Greenville we went to the all you can eat breakfast at Kelley’s then off to Lilly Bay Park and the B-52 crash site. From there we headed towards Dexter and many more caches. I have to admit we did have one DNF. We hit one cache and I can not remember the name of it but the 4 wheeling to get to it made the whole day worth while. Then a couple more caches and we when our separate ways.

What a great weekend and for those that left Sunday and did not stay you missed on some great fun.

No 4 wheel drives were harmed in the making of this event. We parked in all appropriate spots and did not trespass or drive anyplace that we were not suppose to. All our off road driving was legal.

The G Team
07-23-2006, 11:04 PM
It's gonna take a week to wipe the smile off my face and the mud off the Jeep! :D :D :D :D :D
Watch for 4x4 Cache Ralley, The Sequel!

attroll
07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
It's gonna take a week to wipe the smile off my face and the mud off the Jeep! :D :D :D :D :D
Watch for 4x4 Cache Ralley, The Sequel!
I can not wait for the 4x4 Cache Ralley, The Sequel. This time I will bring my truck.

team teebow
07-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Awesome pictures everyone!! That looked like F-U-N!!!! I am not sure that Tom's truck would of fit down those narrow roads??? It is one BIG Dodge truck. Okay, please, don't comment on the Dodge part.:p

Team Teebow 2

Hiram357
07-24-2006, 05:58 PM
This event has inspired me to form the Maine ORCAs!!! No... not whales! the Maine Off Road Caching Association!! :D :D

firefighterjake
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM
This event has inspired me to form the Maine ORCAs!!! No... not whales! the Maine Off Road Caching Association!! :D :D

Great idea . . . can I be the mascot? We can get some foam rubber and create a costume that makes me look like Shamu Jr. and then on future Tread Lightly events I can ride around in my 4Runner waving my fin at everyone and if anyone gives us a hard time I can throw a half eaten seal at them. :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Great idea . . . can I be the mascot? We can get some foam rubber and create a costume that makes me look like Shamu Jr. ...:D

Why the foam rubber? All you need is the make-up..... LOL

HahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHa hahahahahahaha
HahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaha

Ok, it was a bad joke and I apologize but I just finished my shift and after living with 11 guys for the past 24 hours I haven't returned to "normal" yet.

Although, you do have a Toyota so you'd be a good addition to the O.R.C.A's.

firefighterjake
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Why the foam rubber? All you need is the make-up..... LOL

HahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHa hahahahahahaha
HahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaha

Ok, it was a bad joke and I apologize but I just finished my shift and after living with 11 guys for the past 24 hours I haven't returned to "normal" yet.

Although, you do have a Toyota so you'd be a good addition to the O.R.C.A's.

Owwwww . . . that one stung a bit . . . I knew I shouldn't have brought my feeling to this forum! ;) :D

Wish you were there with us Steve . . . Hiram actually seemed surprised that the Toyota was doing so well . . . even if it wasn't lifted like his Jeep and still had the running boards on it. I'll be posting some pics here soon. You would have been disappointed though since we did nothing that was as technical as the climb up Harris Mountain in Dixmont . . . there are some scary-looking rocks and ledges there!

firefighterjake
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Firefighter Jake and Friends’ Excellent Adventure on the Tread Lightly Geocache Event

WOW! What a weekend. I attended my first official geocaching event and it was a great one . . . well at least it was good for me. After actually sleeping the night through last night without any errant white Jeeps roaring up beside me I sat down to jot down a few of my thoughts from this past weekend and I thought I would share them with the rest of the geocaching community.

Where to start . . . well the beginning always makes the most sense so let’s start there. My name is Firefighterjake and I was born the poor son of a sharecropper . . . well, that’s not entirely true and more-over that may be a little too close to the beginning. Why don’t we start out at breakfast . . . where this whole event officially began?

It’s five minutes before five o’clock and I’ve beaten my alarm clock to the proverbial punch as it was set the night before to go off at 5 a.m. Guess I must have an internal alarm clock that works just as well as my internal GPSr. A few minutes after a quick shower and some personal hygiene and I’m out the door and on my way to Fairfield’s Big Stop Restaurant on Rt. 201.

I pull into the yard and see all kinds of SUVs and pick-up trucks laden with camping gear. Looks like I’m in the right place.

I walk inside with a bit of trepidation and meet the rowdy-looking crew. Ironically I knew most of the folks from previous experience and from conversing at the site here with the main exception being Whlrgod and Tidos who turn out to be Ned and "Nancy" . . . well I thought her name was Nancy and I called her Nancy the entire weekend. It wasn’t until Monday morning while reading the logged caches that I learned "Nancy" was in fact "Tammy."

After a quick breakfast with Cammy and Tim who stopped by to say hi the Tread Lightly event crew/mob was on the road and heading north. Our first stop was a series of quick grab and go caches in Skowhegan. At Watching Place cache I was looking at the beautiful waterfall and nearly stepped on a fresh doggie "land mine" which I missed thanks to the warning of fellow geocachers (guess they really do like us Magellan users!;) ) We found this cache as well as one of Laughing Terry’s Plain Sight caches (I was last to find that one) and the Big Indian cache in short order.

Our next stop was at the relatively new Old Canada Road cache (after Hiram boomeranged past the point – and he didn’t even have a Magellan GPSr to use as an excuse:D ) where Dave of Dave and Gail fame tried to convince his wife that a perfectly round hole in the ground the size of a small swimming pool was from a meteorite. Needless to say she didn’t believe him.

In Bingham the group temporarily split apart. Some folks went to the gas station to fuel up. Some folks continued down the road to grab a cache at the Half There rest stop cache.

However, all of the men folk were staring at the bikini-clad Bingham girls who were holding a car wash and yelling "Hey Mister, your car is dirty." For our part, us men were thinking, "Why yes, those bikini-clad girls are right. This car is looking kind of dirty . . . even if I did just wash it yesterday and even if I haven’t been off-road with it yet." Meanwhile the respective spouses of these men were giving their partner THE LOOK.:eek:

The convoy grouped up at the Half There cache and continued to the campsite with the exception of myself as I elected to grab a few more quick caches at Wyman Lake and Another Reason to Stop rest stop . . . even if it’s not all about the numbers. I tell ya geocaching is like eating potato chips . . . well I mean you don’t actually eat the geocache, I mean you do one cache and then you feel compelled to do another and another and another and . . . . well you get the idea.

When I arrived at the campsite most of the folks were still in the process of setting up their tents. My job was pretty easy – I moved the jack and tire iron out of the way and unrolled my sleeping bag. Home Sweet Home in the back of my 4Runner.

Hiram and Steph meanwhile were erecting a mini Waco complex with a tent and screen tent centered around a picnic table. Dave and Gail were hard at work building their Taj Mahal with a tent and canopy . . . later on both of these complexes were tied together with "the good green tarp" which proved quite useful when it began raining in the evening.

Dave1976 and Girlmate were lazy, I mean smart, like me. They camped out in the back of Dave’s Nissan pick-up with a cab. They later told us they spent the night watching a movie before falling to bed . . . at least that’s their story and they’re sticking to it.:o :eek:

Attroll slept in what can best be described as a cocoon suspended underneath a "gigan-normous" banana leaf . . . in reality it was a sleeping bag/hammock with a rain fly tied off over him. I still think it looked more like a giant cocoon though. I half expected to see Attroll go to bed on Saturday night and emerge from his cocoon on Sunday morning looking like Brad Pitt . . . just like a caterpillar metamorphosing into a butterfly.:D

Maniac had a relatively small tent . . . but he made sure there was plenty of room for him and his geo-pups. Whlrgod and Tidos probably had the most normal-looking tent set up compared to everyone else that was there.

Shortly after we had set up the tents WhereRWe arrived on site . . . this time around he had the right campsite and the right date! At this point we mounted up and rode off to do some serious geocaching with WhereRWe acting as our tour guide.

I was fortunate since I had a front seat with WhereRWe who obviously knew these roads like the back of his hand . . . I say this based on the fact that he was able to tell me all about nearby springs, old railroad station buildings, mountains, etc. and the fact that he was driving as if he was in training for the Dakar Off Road Rally.:D

We quickly nabbed the cache at Fossil Rock. Fossil Rock hasn’t been found much lately . . . but the next few cachers should have no problem finding it after having 15 or so folks stomping around in the undergrowth looking for the cache.

We then moved on to another quick find at Moxie Trail Crossing after driving by scenic Moxie Lake and then it was time to tackle Foster’s Solitude cache. With only a few words of warning and advice, WhereRWe headed back home, so I jumped on board with Hiram and Steph in their white Jeep (No, they didn’t win it in the Jeep Geocaching contest.)

First off . . . if anyone is thinking about doing Foster’s do not fear this cache. There are a few washouts and some rocks, but if you have a 4WD vehicle with decent ground clearance (it doesn’t need to be lifted) you can easily ride up to the cache. While there are some branches and raspberry bushes which may brush against your vehicle you will not have to replace your windshield or call Maco to get a brand new paintjob after this ride.

The ride up to Foster’s was in fact a rather short, but bumpy ride. Steph was bouncing back and forth like a Weeble Wobble that refused to fall down . . . fortunately the window was down so she didn’t smack her head repeatedly into the window which is good since I’m not so good at treating cerebral hematomas with nothing more than a roll of duct tape and a drinking straw.

As I stated earlier the ride up wasn’t so bad as we had been lead to believe, but nevertheless you would have thought we intrepid off-roading geocachers had just driven up the side of Mt. Everest. We didn’t break out the celebratory champagne, although a few folks did take a few swigs of Poland Spring water . . . but I suspect they were simply thirsty.
After finding the cache, checking out the view from the top (you could see the Backscatter radar site) and posing for the obligatory photo the group took advantage of the rest stop to grab a snack.

When Hiram and Mike from The G-Team began to talk to each other about technical four-wheeling stuff which I could make no heads or tails of I told the group I was going to walk down to get pictures of everyone coming down the trail. Of course, I also gobbled down more than a few of the wild raspberries on the way down since I was feeling a bit hungry at that point and all of my snacks were bad in the 4Runner at the campsite.

Our next geocaching stop was a quick find at Over the Horizon cache and then someone had the bright idea to try Laughing Terry’s Deathwish I cache. The ride to the cache was quick, but finding the cache was a whole different matter. After scrambling down the steep embankments we saw a beautiful set of waterfalls . . . but no sign of LT’s elusive cache.
I kept hoping that maybe this was a variation of LT’s Bessie Tale cache so I was all for trying to get the group to go look for the cache attached to the tale of some nearby moose:D ;) , but no one else in the group thought Terry would do such a thing.

Instead we vainly searched high and low for the cache on the steep sides. I found a beer can which I opted to CITO with an assist from Dave1976 . . . yeah Dave that was me who put the beer can on your Nissan’s antenna (maybe next time you’ll think first before telling the folks at Unity House of Pizza that you needed my home address since I was sleeping with your girlfriend . . . ;) :D :eek:

After what seemed like hours and hours of searching we reluctantly gave up on the Deathwish cache. The negative: the cache was not found even with all of us searching for it. The positive: no one plummeted to their death which would have been bad . . . plus it would have meant a lot less time to search for other caches.

Incidentally, LT if you’re reading this Hiram and I were thinking about starting up our own geocaching club called the "I Hate LT" geocaching club;) . At least that was our thought before we did LT’s Under the Waterfall Cache. This was a much easier and very beautiful cache spot.

As for solving this puzzle . . . all I can say is that I had the answer right in front of me even before LT gave me the hint and I couldn’t believe I had missed seeing the coordinates! :o I personally loved this cache and the little dwarf inside me opted to explore the site. I ended up with wet feet, but the look of surprise on some of the geocacher’s faces when I popped up on the other side was worth the soaked hiking boots.

Our final cache for Day 1 was Bingham Trestle. It was at this point that 1manhunt and Team2Hunt left our group and headed south as they were not planning to stay overnight.

Back at the camp we gathered together under Dave and Gail’s "good green tarp" which was now attached to Hiram and Steph’s screen house. While Maniac had to dodge the occasional puddle of rain water that would collect in the tarp’s gap between the screen house and canopy, most of us stayed reasonably dry. Of course, Hiram and Step were living life to the fullest in their "first class" accommodations as the screenhouse had a picnic table, citronella candles and reportedly there were little mints being left at each place setting.:D ;)

Burgers and hotdogs seemed to be the main fare for the evening with a few exceptions. Whlrgod and Tidos had some appetizing looking beef and vegetable kabobs while Dave and Gail served up jalapeno burgers. Hiram and Steph (OK, mostly Hiram) had beans with their franks . . . which led many of us to pity poor Steph.

There was no excuse for anyone to go hungry since Gail was serving up generous portions of her pasta salad while Dave kept offering food to each and every geocacher present . . . once again showing that famous northern Maine/Canadian sense of hospitality.

Dave1976 and Girlmate had veggie burgers . . . funny thing though, I didn’t see too many geocachers drooling over those veggie burgers and wishing they had one of those on their plate. ;) :D

Unbeknownst to most everyone, Attroll had his own private stash of brownies that Donna had made for him to "share" with the group . . . of course we never learned about these special brownies until the next day when Rick confessed to the fact he had eaten all of the brownies but one.:D ;)
As we ate and talked, Gail kept trying to keep the fire stoked in a steady downpour. Eventually, she gave up and let the fire die out . . . but it certainly wasn’t for a lack of effort.

As we sat around and reminisced every once in a while (well every 15 minutes) someone would say "let’s go geocaching" and some in the group would get motivated for all of 5 minutes before deciding that a second drink would be a better idea than going geocaching in the pouring rain.

After awhile I went to bed as others started to drift off to their respective tents and/or vehicles to sleep the night away. I quickly fell asleep until around 11 p.m. when I woke up to what I could swear was the sound of a vehicle pulling up beside my SUV. I attributed the sound to an over-active imagination/dreaming and went back to bed. It wasn’t until the next day when I did Caratunk Boat Landing cache that I realized I had not been dreaming and in fact Hiram, Attroll and Mike from the G-Team had been out to nab a few caches . . . and attempt Hole in the Wall before deciding the combination of darkness, steep terrain and rain would most likely result in someone getting hurt.

In the morning I woke up around 5 a.m. and folks were still asleep so I cruised down to the nearby Caratunk Boat Landing Cache and then headed to the Got Moxie cache for a brief, brisk walk to those beautiful falls. When I returned the group was breaking camp.

At this point our Tread Lightly group broke into two separate parties with Dave/Gail, Dave1976/Girlmate and Maniac heading north to Jackman as they wanted to grab a few caches for the DeLorme Challenge. The G-Team/Attroll, Hiram/Steph, Whlrdod/Tidos and myself elected to work our way east towards Greenville.

While most of the roads were smooth gravel roads, Hiram wisely chose a rough-looking logging road that was full of washouts, rocks and overgrown in spots as our main route to Greenville and the Gateway to Greenville Cache. Of course, since this was an off-road geocaching event we loved every minute of this portion of the trail.

After a quick all-you-can-eat breakfast at Kelly’s Landing (and a big hug from the waitress – well Whlrgod got a big hug as he apparently knew the waitress – she definitely wasn’t his ex-wife:D ;) ) we went to Lily Bay State Park to grab the caches there. Only a geocacher would consider paying $3 to stop by a park for a half hour as a good deal – and a bargain at $1.50 per cache.

The ITS Stash was a quick find, but the Beyond the Trash Stash/Gravel Pit Cache was a big bust . . . unless you count being stung by bees or seeing the moose bone graveyard as a good thing.

At the Fishy Find cache us men folk proved once again that we have a problem with taking directions. Our GPS receivers all said to head into the woods, so Whlrgod, Hiram and myself did just that. G-Team/Mike and Attroll wisely chose to stay on the trail . . . of course they may have done so since Hiram gave them bad coordinates and they were thinking they would have to go halfway to Canada to find this cache. Meanwhile Steph kept suggesting we stay on the old logging trail. We foolishly ignored Steph’s advice . . . only to find 15 minutes later after stumbling over wetholes and thick underbrush that the cache was located right beside the trail Steph mentioned.:o

Our next stop was the B-52 Crash Stash Cache. The cache was easy and in a picturesque spot . . . the crash site was not so pretty and in fact was rather sobering.

We began to work our way south as it was clear to see that we were all beginning to grow tired. Sawyer Pond and Memorial Bridge caches were quick stops along the way.

VicBiker’s Arc de Brook was probably the hands-down favorite of the day for the group as the short ride into the cache offered the most technical riding of the two days and we were rewarded with a clever micro in a beautiful spot.

While we loved VicBiker’s Arc de Brook we were ready to add him to our new I Hate LT fan club when we struck out on Vic’s Challenge. We searched high and low and despite the hint and a few false hits (I honestly thought the Gatorade bottle was the cache guys!:o ) we DNFed here.

Whrlgod and Tidos parted with us in Abbot and made their way home while the rest of us headed to Dexter. The gang stopped at Wasoookeag Cache, but didn’t listen to me when I told them I thought Cameo had archived this cache (Sure, never believe the Magellan user!:D ) Shells Over the Water was also a DNF . . . although I suspect Hiram found part of the remains of this cache.

Our final stop was Noreasta’s Work of Art cache as we were all very intrigued as to what was the "art". This too was a quick find. We signed the logs and then I headed home . . . it was a long weekend. I was hot. I was tired. I was smelly . . . but on the flip side I had met some great folks. I had a great time geocaching, camping and off-roading. I had taken some neat photos . . . and of course I had just found a boat-load of geocaches to add to my count . . . even though numbers aren’t everything, right? ;) :D

Hiram357
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
**Just a footnote... It was the DeLorme GPSr and software that had me slingshotting past the turns... and also the wife telling me to turn as I'm looking at the road pass us by.**

Hiram357
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
However, all of the men folk were staring at the bikini-clad Bingham girls who were holding a car wash and yelling "Hey Mister, your car is dirty." For our part, us men were thinking, "Why yes, those bikini-clad girls are right. This car is looking kind of dirty . . . even if I did just wash it yesterday and even if I haven’t been off-road with it yet." Meanwhile the respective spouses of these men were giving their partner THE LOOK.:eek:

hey now... i was gunna try to do the right thing and donate to their worthy cause, they were trying to raise a lot of money to help... uh, you know it was one of those good charity things... they had signs. :D

First off . . . if anyone is thinking about doing Foster’s do not fear this cache. There are a few washouts and some rocks, but if you have a 4WD vehicle with decent ground clearance (it doesn’t need to be lifted) you can easily ride up to the cache. While there are some branches and raspberry bushes which may brush against your vehicle you will not have to replace your windshield or call Maco to get a brand new paintjob after this ride.

I'll second that opinion, it was only rough because of the little boulders scattered here and there, probably any stock 4x4 vehicle could make it up with some careful driving.

. . . but no sign of LT’s elusive cache.
I kept hoping that maybe this was a variation of LT’s Bessie Tale cache so I was all for trying to get the group to go look for the cache attached to the tale of some nearby moose:D ;) , but no one else in the group thought Terry would do such a thing.

c'mon jake... seriously, how would he get a moose to stand there that long...? unless... it was on lunchbreak!! we need to go back! hurry!

Dave1976 and Girlmate had veggie burgers . . . funny thing though, I didn’t see too many geocachers drooling over those veggie burgers and wishing they had one of those on their plate. ;) :D

.... no comment on the veggie burgers

While most of the roads were smooth gravel roads, Hiram wisely chose a rough-looking logging road that was full of washouts, rocks and overgrown in spots as our main route to Greenville and the Gateway to Greenville Cache. Of course, since this was an off-road geocaching event we loved every minute of this portion of the trail.

yes, once again I made an ingenious decision... actually I just went the route of the delorme software knowing full well (from many past experiences) that this program was written with the full intent to drive people crazy, get them stuck and lost, and also to help keep mechanics in business... so we followed the computer, and what a great decision it was... i bet back at delorme headquarters someone was watching the spy satelites and saying to their supervisor... "OMG!!! Someone is actually driving down that road!?!?!

At the Fishy Find cache us men folk proved once again that we have a problem with taking directions. Our GPS receivers all said to head into the woods, so Whlrgod, Hiram and myself did just that. G-Team/Mike and Attroll wisely chose to stay on the trail . . . of course they may have done so since Hiram gave them bad coordinates and they were thinking they would have to go halfway to Canada to find this cache. Meanwhile Steph kept suggesting we stay on the old logging trail. We foolishly ignored Steph’s advice . . . only to find 15 minutes later after stumbling over wetholes and thick underbrush that the cache was located right beside the trail Steph mentioned.:o

jake... we were right. that's all that needs to be said. :cool:

P.S. When can we expect to see pics? :D

pjpreb
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey Jake - I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing! :)

becket
07-25-2006, 07:50 PM
great story, jake! i wish i had been there - maybe next time, for the sequel!

WhereRWe?
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
[SIZE=4]Firefighter Jake and Friends’ Excellent Adventure on the Tread Lightly Geocache Event

A great story, Jake! Thanks. I wish more of us would relate our caching experiences. I know a lot if us have some REAL stories to tell! LOL!

attroll
07-26-2006, 12:16 AM
**Just a footnote... It was the DeLorme GPSr and software that had me slingshotting past the turns... and also the wife telling me to turn as I'm looking at the road pass us by.**
Ok, what ever you say. Blame it on the wife and the GPS. It had nothing with you going to fast though did it?

Mainelyroses
07-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Great story!! I just love hearing about the exciting adventures you all have. Thanks!!!:) :) :)

firefighterjake
07-26-2006, 08:42 AM
I actually wrote this column before caming out with the Tread Lightly event crew, but I figured this was as good a place as any to post this link to my latest humor column in the Village Soup. I know some of you enjoy reading these, so . . .

http://www.villagesoup.com//guestcolumns/story.cfm?storyID=75882

becket
07-26-2006, 09:23 AM
ohmygod, jake! that was really funny and brought back a lot of camping memories! i have to admit, i am one of "those" who likes the marshmallows burned to a crisp. thanks for a well-needed laugh.

firefighterjake
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
ohmygod, jake! that was really funny and brought back a lot of camping memories! i have to admit, i am one of "those" who likes the marshmallows burned to a crisp. thanks for a well-needed laugh.

(In Soup Nazi's voice) No marshmallows for you! :D

pjpreb
07-26-2006, 10:30 AM
We once met the "CFH"! One loudly recited "Green Eggs and HAM" at 3am! My children returned the favor at 7am the next morning :D :D

That Sam-I-am, that Sam-I-am, I do not like that Sam-I-am.... We still laugh about that. Thanks again for the story Jake, it brought back memories.

Hiram357
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Let's see if this works... if all goes according to plan, there should be a loop of pictures playing...

it didnt work... i'll try somethin different

ok... im a loser, i cant get it to work on the site... :(

Hiram357
07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/WhlrGod2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/wheresdave.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/wheelersplash.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/treadinglightly.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/MoxieTrailCrossing.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/JMobile.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/JeepVsTheIndian.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/GTeam.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/geopups.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/GeoCrew.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/FossilRock.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/FFJ.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/blairwitch.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/attroll.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/arcdebrook5.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/arcdebrook4.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/arcdebrook3.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/arcdebrook2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/arcdebrook.jpg

team moxiepup
07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for sharing the story and the terrific pictures. Sounds like fun was had by all!!!

Dave and Gail
07-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Awesome reply Jake. We really enjoyed reading your post, you definately are a prolific writer. Its hard to believe because you seem to be fairly reserved in person, or maybe just a bit shy around strangers. Either way, we enjoyed meeting you at last, and think you are a great person. Hope to see you again caching or at the next event. Gail and I also had a great time,Shamis had a blast being around everyone and being around 4 other dogs that were not mean to him. Well we logged 17 caches, including the event, which is the most we have done in a weekend. We met some really nice people, saw some beautiful country, and just had a super weekend all around. Thanks to Hiram and Mike for putting this together and we will definately try to make another event like it if possible. Happy caching to everyone,,,"Dave and Gail" and Shamis:D

vicbiker
07-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Jake, just got around to reading your story.What a great job!!You write the way I would if I could.This to me is what geocaching is all about,and I feel sorry for those that don't get it.It's not the numbers,it's not finding the cache,it's sharing those experiences with friends through logs,post or great stories like this one. Keep up the good work jake.

P.S. It's an honor to be grouped with LT.

firefighterjake
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Tread Lightly 2006 folks . . . I have dropped off some geo-packages for each of you at the Bangor Geo Post Office (GCWEN7) . . . you can either pick them up directly or (per my instructions with the packages) geo-cachers will be asked to move them on to you personally, bring them to your area or place them in a specific cache and let you know when they have arrived.

I am a bit curious so if you could drop me a PM or e-mail letting me know when and how you received your geo-package I would appreciate it . . . kind of curious as to just how effective geo-mail is.

Also, for others who are interested . . . I have placed additional geo-packages marked "GENERAL DELIVERY" which you should feel free to take and keep or move on if you so choose.

attroll
08-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Tread Lightly 2006 folks . . . I have dropped off some geo-packages for each of you at the Bangor Geo Post Office (GCWEN7) . . . you can either pick them up directly or (per my instructions with the packages) geo-cachers will be asked to move them on to you personally, bring them to your area or place them in a specific cache and let you know when they have arrived.

I am a bit curious so if you could drop me a PM or e-mail letting me know when and how you received your geo-package I would appreciate it . . . kind of curious as to just how effective geo-mail is.

Also, for others who are interested . . . I have placed additional geo-packages marked "GENERAL DELIVERY" which you should feel free to take and keep or move on if you so choose.
I have no clue to how these Geo Post Office's work. So if someone can explain ot me in simple english I will try to understand. Otherwise then that I guess I will never get my package.

firefighterjake
08-01-2006, 06:46 AM
I have no clue to how these Geo Post Office's work. So if someone can explain ot me in simple english I will try to understand. Otherwise then that I guess I will never get my package.

From what I gather these are caches that you can drop postcards, letters or (in my case) small geo-packages which are designed to go to specific geocachers. The letter (or in this case package) is taken by cachers who can help forward it towards the goal of reaching the cacher. In your case I have a note that asks the cacher to move the package along if they plan to see you soon (i.e. perhaps they will be going to the GCMaine.org organizational meeting in Waterville), if they plan to do some caching in Litchfield or if they can place the cache at Jock's Dream (a water-proof ammo can fairly close to your home I am assuming.) As cachers take and move the package/letter along they are asked to send an e-mail to the recipient (i.e. you) to let you know where the letter/package is . . . so if it makes it into a cache in Litchfield for example you would know and be able to go pick it up.

attroll
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
From what I gather these are caches that you can drop postcards, letters or (in my case) small geo-packages which are designed to go to specific geocachers. The letter (or in this case package) is taken by cachers who can help forward it towards the goal of reaching the cacher. In your case I have a note that asks the cacher to move the package along if they plan to see you soon (i.e. perhaps they will be going to the GCMaine.org organizational meeting in Waterville), if they plan to do some caching in Litchfield or if they can place the cache at Jock's Dream (a water-proof ammo can fairly close to your home I am assuming.) As cachers take and move the package/letter along they are asked to send an e-mail to the recipient (i.e. you) to let you know where the letter/package is . . . so if it makes it into a cache in Litchfield for example you would know and be able to go pick it up.
So basically it is sort of like a travel bug meant to reach me?

we3beans
08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
you got it!
:-)

firefighterjake
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
you got it!
:-)

Yeah . . . what she said. ;) :D

Hiram357
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
we've got mail!! i never get mail! i like mail, especially from grandma cuz it usually has money in it... did you put any money in em jake??? :D :D :D

firefighterjake
08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
we've got mail!! i never get mail! i like mail, especially from grandma cuz it usually has money in it... did you put any money in em jake??? :D :D :D

I'm not your Grammie, Hiram! :D However, I think you'll like what I did . . . even if I couldn't overlay a soundtrack on the CD without it screwing up the PowerPoint presentation. I only wish I had got your photos earlier so I could have added them.

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Well I received an e-mail and it seems as though Dave and Gail are the first folks to receive their geo-package that I sent out to the participants of the Tread Lightly 2006 event.

Just as a reminder to the rest of you . . . I dropped the packages in the Bangor Geo Post Office. If you're in the area you may want to pick it up -- and if anyone is planning on attending Sunday's event and know that another participant in TL2006 may be attending this event it might be nice to bring their package to that event as well.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Well I received an e-mail and it seems as though Dave and Gail are the first folks to receive their geo-package that I sent out to the participants of the Tread Lightly 2006 event.

Just as a reminder to the rest of you . . . I dropped the packages in the Bangor Geo Post Office. If you're in the area you may want to pick it up -- and if anyone is planning on attending Sunday's event and know that another participant in TL2006 may be attending this event it might be nice to bring their package to that event as well.

I probably won't be up that way for a while, can you go get it for me? :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I probably won't be up that way for a while, can you go get it for me? :rolleyes:

I was sort of hoping someone from this way might pick it up and bring it down . . . or move it along. If you want I can arrange a meeting . . . say Unity House of Pizza on Day X at Time Y.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I was sort of hoping someone from this way might pick it up and bring it down . . . or move it along. If you want I can arrange a meeting . . . say Unity House of Pizza on Day X at Time Y.

depending on what stefs doin on saturday, i was thinking about getting in a day of caching up that way. perhaps maybe we could drag a few other cachers into it and do some bangor caching (after pizza of course):D

Haffy
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Maybe I see a trip to Bangor in my future for tomorrow and I need the Geo Post office anyway.

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Maybe I see a trip to Bangor in my future for tomorrow and I need the Geo Post office anyway.

Ah, "The Great Hafinski the Fortune Teller" has spoken! ;) :D If you are interested John there's a few general delivery CDs in there as well for anyone that would like to see what the crew (or "mob" as Brad called us) were up to on that weekend.

I will be unable to attend the GCMaine.org organizational meeting . . . mainly since my wife informed me last week that this weekend will be devoted to replacing some bad floor stringers under the house which she said she could go "easily" . . . and of course they never go easily . . . there's always a problem. I'd rather be geocaching with a Magellan than spend the weekend working on this . . . but it is necessary.

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
depending on what stefs doin on saturday, i was thinking about getting in a day of caching up that way. perhaps maybe we could drag a few other cachers into it and do some bangor caching (after pizza of course):D

If you have the Jeep put back together I would highly recommend a short side jaunt to Peak at Peeked Peak (or something to that effect) as well as the Stonehouse . . . beautiful views and you would be able to use that 4 x 4 without fear of falling off the side of a mountain!:D ;)

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM

It's not right in Bangor, but it's close enough and well worth the ride. A two-for-one special in a very pretty spot and you get to exercise the Jeep's 4WD running gear if you so choose without fear of driving off the side of a mountain.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=080e2e47-c508-4521-9727-9bf9062ec412

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=997d9c66-edde-4a3f-90d8-4fa0439a5fa0

and another fun cache to ride up to . . .

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7907cddb-2161-4d0a-9c3e-d51ceb55fd97

attroll
08-03-2006, 06:14 PM
If you go Haffy could you get my geomail please?

The G Team
08-03-2006, 08:52 PM
If you go Haffy could you get my geomail please?

Me too, please. I hope to be back in town for the meeting Sunday--we are going camping in VT for the weekend. If not, I can meet in town most anytime :-)
Thanks!

The G Team
08-03-2006, 08:54 PM

Hey, we need to do another off-road run soon! The Jeep has got a few upgrades since last we met and there are more in the works.

If you go to Bangor, by all means do the Stone House--it is a great cache location and a good little workout for the Jeep.

Haffy
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Heck I could do that with my Geo.

The G Team
08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, I was thinking about the *other* cache further up the hill, up thru the blueberry field--I think the last bit would be more of a challenge. Even Brad didn't take his Vue up ;-)

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, someone posted a pick of their ford excursion up there... if that thing can make it I'd put money down on Haffy's geo beating it up there. :D

what'd ya upgrade on the Jeep mike? I got my new 4wd hardware bible in the mail the other day, and i'm pretty sure I've got the chrysler 8.25 in it. :D

i got a new track bar today, and a hi-amp battery (gettin ready for the winch) :D

Sudonim
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I did those two in my Outback. The stone house was one of my favorite caches.

The G Team
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, someone posted a pick of their ford excursion up there... if that thing can make it I'd put money down on Haffy's geo beating it up there. :D

what'd ya upgrade on the Jeep mike? I got my new 4wd hardware bible in the mail the other day, and i'm pretty sure I've got the chrysler 8.25 in it. :D

i got a new track bar today, and a hi-amp battery (gettin ready for the winch) :D

Yup, you def have the Chryco (lucky!).

I have the front receiver installed, and it came out very nice.

Yesterday we installed a new 3 core all steel radiator and removed the rear sway bar (this *really* frees up the rear axle for flexing. Jeep actually removed this at the factory as part of the "Up Country" package, so it is Jeep endorsed).

Today we changed plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button and coil. Wow were the plugs bad--gap was probably close to .070 (supposed to be .035)--it's a wonder the poor thing was running at all.

I have the Aussie locker in hand, but am having second thoughts about installing it in the D35. We are planning a trip to the junkyard to scope out Explorers for a nice 8.8" rear with disc brakes and possibly 4.11 gears to match the 31" tires I'm going to (of course, have to do the lift at the same time).

We are heading to VT tomorrow camping and will hit the 4x4 Jamboree in Essex Junction--should be fun. I'm hoping there will be some vendors there as I need a full exhaust and cat--looking at Borla stainless, but muffler and pipe is around $369 and cat another $150 to $250 depending on which one. Might just do a Dynomax--they look nice and are considerably cheaper (not stainless, though).

I'm looking at the 3.5" Old Man Emu lift that comes with all new spring packs and nitro shocks, as well as front swaybar quick discos. I think that and some 31x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains would be just about right.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Yup, you def have the Chryco (lucky!).

I have the front receiver installed, and it came out very nice.

Yesterday we installed a new 3 core all steel radiator and removed the rear sway bar (this *really* frees up the rear axle for flexing. Jeep actually removed this at the factory as part of the "Up Country" package, so it is Jeep endorsed).

Today we changed plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button and coil. Wow were the plugs bad--gap was probably close to .070 (supposed to be .035)--it's a wonder the poor thing was running at all.

I have the Aussie locker in hand, but am having second thoughts about installing it in the D35. We are planning a trip to the junkyard to scope out Explorers for a nice 8.8" rear with disc brakes and possibly 4.11 gears to match the 31" tires I'm going to (of course, have to do the lift at the same time).

We are heading to VT tomorrow camping and will hit the 4x4 Jamboree in Essex Junction--should be fun. I'm hoping there will be some vendors there as I need a full exhaust and cat--looking at Borla stainless, but muffler and pipe is around $369 and cat another $150 to $250 depending on which one. Might just do a Dynomax--they look nice and are considerably cheaper (not stainless, though).

I'm looking at the 3.5" Old Man Emu lift that comes with all new spring packs and nitro shocks, as well as front swaybar quick discos. I think that and some 31x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains would be just about right.

wow, you've been busy! sounds like it needed it though, I'm gettin close to redoin my exhaust too, i'm startin to get small leaks around the manifold, I'd like to find some way to split the pipe and do a dual exhaust, but there's not a whole lotta room under there, (and the new muffler i got last year is already dented and beat to smitherenes... i have no idea how that happened though, must be stefs driving habits) How much was the steel radiator? ya gotta let me know how that works out for ya, i'm tryin to get the jeep to run a bit cooler (once the lift went in and all the other mods it's been slowly creeping up) I'm going to ohio next week so I'm gunna browse around Summit and 4WD Hardware (the Summit of Jeeps!) and hopefully find a nice dual fan setup so i can take the clutch fan off.

and i've been lookin at some exploded diagrams of the rear end of my jeep and i don't think it has a rear swaybar... somethin they possibly just left out of the newer models?

The G Team
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they ALL have swaybars (though I've been wrong before). You need to remove the wheels to get to the bolts--it is a 1/2 thick or a bit more bar that goes up over the driveshaft and exhaust and bolts up by the shocks. Perhaps they took it off when they did the lift? The front one in necessary, but the rear one really limits the axle travel.

With the AC on max and the Jeep ideling I was hitting 230 or more--now it sits a hair under 210, right where it should be. I haven't done any crawling yet with the AC on--that will be the real test. Oh yes, we fixed the vacuum leak, so the AC/Heat control is now working, as is the cruise control.

Got the radiator from www.radiatorbarn.com--I think it was like $179 or so delivered--it is their best one--all steel and 3 core (OE is plastic tank and 1 or 2 core). I would also like to go all electric--I found a good write-up on it on Jeep forum. I have dual electrics on my Bronco and it works well--you can even switch em both off for deep water crossings (not that I'd do that with the Jeep).

I don't think anyone makes a dual exhaust for the 4.0--I doubt it would do much anyway--not like a V8.

Oh yeah, the Aussie Locker is only $229 and $20 shipping--it looks pretty beefy--your axle would handle it with no problem (29 spline wonder that it is!). Check out www.aussielocker.com. I had a question and the company president personally called me back to answer it.

Too bad you guys are busy this weekend--the 4x4 Jamboree thing looks like it should be a good time--mud runs, monster trucks and all that.

firefighterjake
08-06-2006, 08:44 PM
HEY DAVE1976 . . .

Some other folks are having problems viewing the PP Slideshow and I know you said you figured out a way to make it work.

Is there any way you could post a thread here for interested folks so they can view the show . . . I guess no one could get them to work today at the Event. I would hate to think all of my work was for nothing.

d’76
08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Ok, I will share my wisdom...

I had to save the file to my hard drive and then right click the file and change the open with to power point and change the file type to .ppt

I cant garrentee that it will work for everyone but remember that it is a huge file and for those of us running norton it will scan automatically. I think this is when we got stuck at the meeting today. I let mine finish the scan. It took a couple of minutes. This file is about 300 meg. It will take awhile to scan so be patient. The wait is worth it. If this doesnt work I will check tomorrow and see if there are other ways.:)

Haffy
08-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Here is the link to the Power Point viewer you will need to use it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en

attroll
08-06-2006, 09:06 PM
As Dave mentioned it is a 300 meg file and I only have 384 meg of memory. It locked my system up already once. So it will have to wait for me to view when I get a new computer.

d’76
08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Well Jake,

If I am the only one that will see it then I guess that will make your efforts worth it...right?

To those of you that havent seen it yet. It is great!

I just opened it on connies laptop that we bought just a couple of months ago and it took about three minutes to open so be patient. It will open.

attroll
08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I will try opening it again later after I close all the application I have open right now. That is probably why it locked up.

Haffy
08-06-2006, 10:02 PM
it took about three minutes to open so be patient. It will open.

Wow 3 minutes,it would take me probably 3 days with my dial-up.....:D

Mainiac1957
08-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Very nice work Jake. I especially like the picture of Jock watering Gary's Tahoe.:rolleyes: I'm glad you included some of Dave's pics of the alternate trip.

Hiram357
08-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I just stuck it in and it played without any problems (my pc is about 4yrs old too) I guess it depends on the system?

BTW I liked the majestic pic of me at the Bingham Trestle :D

The G Team
08-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Did I miss the link to the PP? Of course, I missed the meeting--darned Jeep would only tow the camper so fast! (Of course, we probably could have found a quicker way back from VT than via the Kancamangus--acutally had to drop out of OD on some of those 12% grades ;)

Hiram357
08-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Did I miss the link to the PP? Of course, I missed the meeting--darned Jeep would only tow the camper so fast! (Of course, we probably could have found a quicker way back from VT than via the Kancamangus--acutally had to drop out of OD on some of those 12% grades ;)

no mike, there's no link... It's GEO MAIL!!! :D (there should be a disc for you in the Bangor geo-post office, Jake made a disc for everyone that was at the rally)

Hiram357
08-06-2006, 11:19 PM

soooooo whatd' ya bring me from the Jamboree?? :rolleyes:
(I found my next investment, removable rear swaybars... pull the pin and pull the bar to remove, to install just do the removal in reverse!) I also found a few different styles of lockers, you'll hafta let me know how the aussie one works out for ya.

The G Team
08-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Removable REARS!? Haven't seen those--quick disconnects for the front are available from a number of vendors and are on my list of items to acquire as funds allow. As I said above, even towing a trailer on mountainous, bumpy, twisty roads, the lack of a rear swaybar seems to have no undesirable on-road effect but really frees up the rear to flex off road.

I didn't buy much--got a receiver mounted D ring for the new front receiver and a "handle keeper" for my Hi Lift jack.

The Tough Trucks event was pretty cool--the first guy to run it in the Stock class nose-dived into the double jump they had set up and endoed his pickup--pretty much flattened it--no roll cage :eek: The took him away on a stretcher, though he was conscious. Then, two XJs did the run and just flew right over the jumps with no problem--really cool!

The new radiator kept things pretty cool--I was running right at 210 at 75 in OD pulling the trailer with the Jeep full of people and camping gear--it was fully loaded for sure. The only time it got up to 215-220 was on one really long up hill grade on the Kangcamangus--2nd gear all the way for that hill! I will def be going to 4.11s when I get the 31s on!

I think we have decided to go ahead with the axle upgrade, so I'll probably swap the D35 Aussie I got for another. We're planning a junkyard trip (hopefully this week) to scout out an 8.8 out of an Explorer. After pricing disc brake conversions for the 8.25/D44, the 8.8 with factory discs (not to mention, a 31 spline axle shaft and massive 8.8" ring gear) starts to look like a pretty good deal. I'll be looking for one with 4.10/4.11s so all I'll have to do is drop in the correct Aussie and re-gear the front to match (and probably a selectable locking in the front at the same time to save having to set up the gears again at a later day).

Yeah, I got the Geo Post thing--guess I misunderstood about folks downloading--they were talking about actually *viewing* the PP, I take it (granted, downloading a 300 MB file would take awhile, even on cable!)

We need to get some trucks together soon for a trail ride (some caches along the way would make it even more interesting)!

firefighterjake
08-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Ok, I will share my wisdom...

I had to save the file to my hard drive and then right click the file and change the open with to power point and change the file type to .ppt

I cant garrentee that it will work for everyone but remember that it is a huge file and for those of us running norton it will scan automatically. I think this is when we got stuck at the meeting today. I let mine finish the scan. It took a couple of minutes. This file is about 300 meg. It will take awhile to scan so be patient. The wait is worth it. If this doesnt work I will check tomorrow and see if there are other ways.:)

Thanks Dave . . . one of the reasons the file is so large is that I was using a camera that takes 9 or 10 megapixel pics -- which is nice when it comes to the quality of the photo, but not so nice when it comes to sending them via e-mail or in this case putting them on file -- especially when there's over 150+ photos. Glad you liked the show.

firefighterjake
08-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Very nice work Jake. I especially like the picture of Jock watering Gary's Tahoe.:rolleyes: I'm glad you included some of Dave's pics of the alternate trip.

I didn't notice that shot until I was reviewing the show and when I did I got a little chuckle out of that as well -- I think Jock was helping to clean everyone's truck that day though! :D

firefighterjake
08-07-2006, 06:38 AM
We need to get some trucks together soon for a trail ride (some caches along the way would make it even more interesting)!

I've been PM-ing Hiram with some possible places -- nothing too radical of course, but some nice places for off-roading/gravel road driving and some camping spots nearby. I think we could even get ourselves a guide (Dave/Gail?) at the Millinocket Area caches if the times and dates worked out for them. Of course most of these places were suggestions for TreadLightly 2007: The Sequel and TreadLightly 2008: The Return of Hiram, but just getting together at these places would be fun as well.

Haffy
08-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks Dave . . . one of the reasons the file is so large is that I was using a camera that takes 9 or 10 megapixel pics -- which is nice when it comes to the quality of the photo, but not so nice when it comes to sending them via e-mail or in this case putting them on file -- especially when there's over 150+ photos. Glad you liked the show.

It would have been easy to do a batch image resize with just about any photo software and you could have saved it as that and it wouldn't have degraded the photos and would have been a lot quicker to download and not have taken us dial-up users forever to download. Just a suggestion for the next time thats all. I still would like to see it someday.

WhereRWe?
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
It would have been easy to do a batch image resize with just about any photo software and you could have saved it as that and it wouldn't have degraded the photos and would have been a lot quicker to download and not have taken us dial-up users forever to download.

Dial up? Sheesh, I remember those days! LOL!

But I think you'd also be able to do it with the software that came with your camera. I have a Kodak camera, and I've found i can do a lot with their software. :D :D