View Full Version : Hiking up Mountains

lwa11
05-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok...I just hiked Pleasant Mountain in Denmark/Bridgeton area. I really enjoyed it and want to hike other local mountains with the goal being MT Washington this fall before the snow flies again up there.

Does anyone have advice on other mountains to try.... to work my way upward to the goal?

I want to try Old Spec, has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks,

LWA11

Sudonim
05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Pedalchick and I will be climbing Tumbledown this weekend (Map 19 in the Gazetteer). 1.5-2 hours up depending on your skill, and if you take the brook trail, there is a three part multicache on the way up. West Kennebago (Map 28) is on our maybe list too. TAT put a cache up there that gets visited 1-2 times a year, usually on the fourth of July.

tat
05-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Old Spec is a nice climb. Wright brook is another nice one in that area. West Kennebago is a good work out, but, like Sudonim mentioned, it is a bit remote. The roads are probably 4x4 only right now.

d’76
05-26-2006, 10:03 PM
old spec is a good hike but I think that I would warm up with a trip up table rock:rolleyes:

lwa11
05-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Are there good books that recommend the hikes. I made it to the top of Pleasant in 45 minutes with one stop. I certainly could have paced myself a little better. lol Heart was beating like the cartoon characters!!! But for a city boy..not bad. lol

I want to advance my knowledge and be safe while doing it. I am likely to be doing this alone as my wife isn't up to it.

So I don't want to be walking the..ah..Knife's Edge on Kathadin anytime soon. :-)

attroll
05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
There is several books for this. There is one called 50 hikes in Maine or something like that. An idea to think about is to look at the Appalachian Trail though out Maine and see what mountains it goes over and you will usually find places to park you car and do day hikes up those mountains. Even better through on a backpack and do and overnighter. I am doing one this this weekend if all goes well on Wyman mountain in Andover.

Robotbunny
05-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Ok...I just hiked Pleasant Mountain in Denmark/Bridgeton area. I really enjoyed it and want to hike other local mountains with the goal being MT Washington this fall before the snow flies again up there.

Does anyone have advice on other mountains to try.... to work my way upward to the goal?

I want to try Old Spec, has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks,

LWA11
Rattlesnake Mountain (trail head in Raymond) is fun if you're looking for a nice view of Sebago and surrounding lakes without the crowds like Douglas can have. There's also enough trail up and then around the mountain to get a good workout. There was a geocache up there but I think it was stolen which is too bad since it was a good cache when we found it.

Team2hunt
05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
If you check out our profile on Geocaching.com we have a bookmark list of " Hikes with a view " short description on each. Why not if you are going to hike grab a cache along the way. I will be headed to Roberts Mtn soon, overlooks Lake Winnepasaukee. 2 hour round trip plus a couple of other quick caches. Kayakerinme and I had planned as soon as he gets back from Geowoodstock 4. Let me know if you are interested. Plan to do Mt. Kennebago too this summer, sounds like this could be a group thing.

lwa11
05-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Has anyone run into a bear or bears? What do you do? Since I grew up in Portland, the idea of being mugged has crossed my mind enough that I think I could react appropriately to avoid it.

Now a bear, no idea..... you read make noise, play dead, back away and yet you read reasons why not to do those as well. So do you run into them often on trips up mountains?

d’76
05-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Has anyone run into a bear or bears? What do you do? Since I grew up in Portland, the idea of being mugged has crossed my mind enough that I think I could react appropriately to avoid it.

Now a bear, no idea..... you read make noise, play dead, back away and yet you read reasons why not to do those as well. So do you run into them often on trips up mountains?
The odds of you just running into a bear are pretty slim. THey are very timid. Now realize someone will, I'm sure tell you of a story that happened to them once. I to was chased by a bear but that was a fluke. The one thing that you never want to do is get between the cubs and momma bear. That might be a bad thing. I can count on one hand all the bears I "stumbled" across in the maine woods. I would be more affraid of being mugged in Lewiston Auburn then worry about bears. However I do carry a firearm when in the woods. Well I carry a firearm when I am not in the woods but that doesnt matter. Be aware of you surroundings and the season. In the spring the mom animals are very protective of the new borns and in the fall the males are ready to mate and sometimes they dont want you in there territorie. Good luck and happy trails

DAve

Cache'n Jacksons
05-28-2006, 08:01 AM
old spec is a good hike but I think that I would warm up with a trip up table rock:rolleyes:

Not sure which Table Rock you are talking about, but the two I know of are awesome!! There is a Table Rock in Grafton Notch (Maine) and another Table Rock in Dixville Notch (NH). I would recommend them both!

d’76
05-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Not sure which Table Rock you are talking about, but the two I know of are awesome!! There is a Table Rock in Grafton Notch (Maine) and another Table Rock in Dixville Notch (NH). I would recommend them both!

Table rock in grafton notch. We snowshoed that 2 winters ago and it was awesome. I would recommend it to anyone.

We have also hiked it several times in the warmer climates. They where great also.

Neoncouple
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
how about this one. Will the real Bald Mt. please stand up?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc8a31

lwa11
05-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Are there many caches on mountain hikes like this?

Any easy way to find the listings?

Does anyone do any of these during the week? I wouldn't mind trying to hook up.

Kacky
05-28-2006, 07:27 PM
The odds of you just running into a bear are pretty slim. THey are very timid. Now realize someone will, I'm sure tell you of a story that happened to them once. I to was chased by a bear but that was a fluke. The one thing that you never want to do is get between the cubs and momma bear. That might be a bad thing. I can count on one hand all the bears I "stumbled" across in the maine woods. I would be more affraid of being mugged in Lewiston Auburn then worry about bears.
DAve

Then the chances are nil. I cache alone in L/A several times a week and have walked here every day, and many nights, for decades. Ain't nobody getting mugged in L/A. Have you been here Dave? We'd love to see ya!

lwa11
05-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Well I can say that I have lived in Portland all 35 years of my life..... yes..all 35 of them. lol

I have not been mugged. Never seen a mugging in person. I have seen two moose though in Portland, in the downtown area.

So you know....... who knows about bears. What do you do when you run into one?

Anyone heard of or tried spray?

team teebow
05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
I'd throw 99 to it and run like hell!

lwa11
05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
lol....

she doesn't hike...... mountains not here thing.... so that plan won't work. lol

d’76
05-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Then the chances are nil. I cache alone in L/A several times a week and have walked here every day, and many nights, for decades. Ain't nobody getting mugged in L/A. Have you been here Dave? We'd love to see ya!

http://nneindicators.unh.edu/ShowOneRegion.asp?IndicatorID=31&FIPS=23000

At this web site if you click the link to take you County rankings for Maine I think that there is a Violent crime issue in southern maine. I dont feel any different Then I did before I would just rather take my chance up here but Thanks for the offer though:D

lwa11
05-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I would agree..... even the 4 cases per year in the 16th ranked county is more than violent bear encounter reported.... that I can remember added together probably over years. Unless they just do not make the news.

Hiram357
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Well I can say that I have lived in Portland all 35 years of my life..... yes..all 35 of them. lol

I have not been mugged. Never seen a mugging in person. I have seen two moose though in Portland, in the downtown area.

So you know....... who knows about bears. What do you do when you run into one?

Anyone heard of or tried spray?

sprays are just about worthless, when using a spray you need to hit your victim in the eye or an open wound for it to be affective, it doesn't penetrate unless it's rubbed in, so unless you have really good aim with a a spary can at 10yrds on a windy day (by the way most of the spray cans barely shoot 5ft) you're all set, otherwise if you happen upon an angry creature by the time it gets close enough for your spray to become useful you'll be seconds away from dead. But also the chances of you running into an animal that wants to kill you is slim to none, (proably the only times they'll want to hurt you is if you stumble upon their young, when they're goin at it, or when they're just sick)

firefighterjake
05-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Pepper spray for a grizzly just adds a little seasoning to his meal . . . at least that is what they say in Alaska (that and the bear bells that folks wear on their backpacks and shoes to warn bears of their approach is just a dinner bell for the bear)! :D Of course there are no grizzlies here in Maine.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
05-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Personally, I like the .375 H&H for protection against the Griz! Had a few close encounters but the only "threat" involved was me feeling "treatened" as the bear could care less if I fell off the face of the earth. Black Bears are very, very timid and a shout will scare them off quicker than Pepper spray, the "canned" air horns work even better but by the time you remember what pocket it is in, the bear will generally have already run off.

More people are killed by horses than by wild bears. Like horses, use common sense, respect the animal and don't take silly risk.

Most importantly, don't worry about those things you can't control. A plane may fall out of the sky and get you, or a meteor, etc.

we3beans
05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
John walked up on a bear once while out hunting, since he only had bird shot he said he just backed up and hoofed it out as quitely as he had walked in. I concur though, just try not to get between momma and babies, otherwise they are more likely to see you first and take off before you've even seen him.

lwa11
05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know what the rules are about a knife on a hike? Do you need permts for a knife like you would a gun?

I appreciate all the advice.

we3beans
05-30-2006, 12:07 PM
No, I've never heard of needing a permit to carry a knife. In fact, a knife if a top 5 must have's to carry on any hike.

lwa11
05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
What else would you list as top five?

knife, water, map, light, lighter?

d’76
05-30-2006, 12:35 PM
What else would you list as top five?

knife, water, map, light, lighter?

Glock would be handy. :D

we3beans
05-31-2006, 09:32 AM
yup, yup, yup, yup, yup.....though I've always preferred waterproof matches over a lighter, just my preferance. There's plenty more to bring of course, but those are the things I never go without. (snacks, rope, first aid supplies, phone in case your lucky, extra socks, sunscreen, bug dope, etc etc etc.) I'm sure people here have plenty of other good ideas (Paramachenee, TAT, Mainiac, Dave, etc etc etc???) that I've missed. Sorry, I don't carry a firearm. A. I can barely see past my nose B. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if I could see and C. I just hardly ever feel that threatened, maybe I'm just naive?

parmachenee
05-31-2006, 10:34 AM
yup, yup, yup, yup, yup.....though I've always preferred waterproof matches over a lighter, just my preferance. There's plenty more to bring of course, but those are the things I never go without. (snacks, rope, first aid supplies, phone in case your lucky, extra socks, sunscreen, bug dope, etc etc etc.) I'm sure people here have plenty of other good ideas (Paramachenee, TAT, Mainiac, Dave, etc etc etc???) that I've missed. Sorry, I don't carry a firearm. A. I can barely see past my nose B. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if I could see and C. I just hardly ever feel that threatened, maybe I'm just naive?

A compass along with your gpsr...and you could invite Dave1976 along so you won't need to carry a gun. :)

WhereRWe?
05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Do you need permts for a knife like you would a gun?

Well, not in central or northern Maine - it's like American Express - we don't leave home without it. And an axe is handy, too. Never know when the road will be blocked by a blowdown.

Not sure about Portland, though... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lwa11
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Anyone taking any mountain hikes this week within driving distance of Portland?

Cache'n Jacksons
06-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Donna and I are chaperoning Tuesday (6/13) for the Jr. High Blue Team field trip which is a hike up Mt. Agamenticus in York. It's a real easy hike and you also have the choice of driving to the top. There are three caches near the top which I've done, and two more temporarily disabled ones near the bottom. If the weather is clear you can see Mt. Washington from the top. We will only be there for a couple hours late morning.

lwa11
06-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Is there an easy way to figure out if a cache is at these locations? I mean to find them in google or geocaching.com?

Haffy
06-12-2006, 09:09 AM
If you use GSAk I would use a filter and use Mountain as part of the filter.

tat
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
The 5 caches on Mt. Agamenticus are temporarily disabled. We are working with the land managers to allow caching on the mountain and hope to have all of the caches back online soon.

Cache'n Jacksons
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks, TAT... I just got an email from Gob-ler stating the same thing. I hadn't noticed they were archived because my pocket queries exclude caches already found! Gob-ler has asked me to grab the geocoin up there... should I grab the TB's as well or leave them in the hope that the cache becomes reactivated soon?

tat
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks, TAT... I just got an email from Gob-ler stating the same thing. I hadn't noticed they were archived because my pocket queries exclude caches already found! Gob-ler has asked me to grab the geocoin up there... should I grab the TB's as well or leave them in the hope that the cache becomes reactivated soon?

I think that would be ok with the manager.

They were very appreciative that we all agreed to disable our caches but they are not opposed to caching. They just want us to keep from making new, unauthorized trails. One person accessing the area would not have much concern to them, but 6 years of continuous use has made some noticeable trails.

Cache'n Jacksons
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Beautiful day for a hike today! I found the cache OK and grabbed the geocoin, but there were no travel bugs to be found! So I guess they are orphans. :( Mission accomplished, now hopefully those caches can be put back in action so others can enjoy them.