View Full Version : New cache waiting to be published

team teebow
05-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I have created a cache (Maine's DeLorme Challenge) that copies one created by Haicoole from California, called "California DeLorme Challenge (GCHANH)". It is currently in the review process. My question here is more for the folks that live North of Topsham, Maine.

I've been North many times with my Dad to pick up french fries from the plant in Presque Isle when I was a very young kid. I've never been to the North West side of Northern Maine (My loss probably), the question is should I exempt some of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer pages due to the remoteness of the area? My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.

What are some of your thoughts?

Team Teebow 1

WhereRWe?
05-28-2006, 08:27 AM
My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.

Logging roads? If the road isn't gated, it's public access. It's great country! As I look out the window in front of me, I know that there are only 3 paved roads between me and the Canadian border, 70 miles away. The rest are logging roads - miles and miles of them! :D :D

team teebow
05-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I know Maine has lots of beautiful country and that is why I probably will never leave here. Cheryl and I would actually love to move further North when we retire. The rat race around here is to much sometimes.... We envision further North is a simpler live just tougher to make a good living.

Anyway, do you think I should exempt any of the index pages due to remoteness? Or just let it go and see what happens?

d’76
05-28-2006, 08:33 AM
It has been my experiance that the multi use forest get expensive. The AAW is one of them. And further more the AAW is not going to allow caches on "THEIR" property. I would enjoy this cache alot however north western maine would be a tough one.

team teebow
05-28-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not against to exempting some of the index pages. This is why I'm asking for everyone's input. I have been holding off creating this cache because I did not know how to handle the most Northern part of Maine. Some day when I retire or win tons of money I'll go explore our great remote areas but for now I need your expertise on what folks believe is the proper thing to do.

Some of the rules on the DeLorme Challenges say if there are no caches there one must be placed. I know from previous threads this may be impossible due to land ownership.

At this point the cache is up for review and I said no pages will be exempt, I'll have to go change that. The pages I'm thinking on "Exempting" are 54, 60, 61, 62, 66, and 70. Those pages currently do not have any caches anyway and it looks pretty remote.

Tom

attroll
05-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Logging roads? If the road isn't gated, it's public access.
This is not always true. You need to do your research on this. Just because there is a logging roads in Delormed does not mean they are accessible.

WhereRWe?
05-28-2006, 04:35 PM
This is not always true. You need to do your research on this. Just because there is a logging roads in Delormed does not mean they are accessible.

Well, sheesh! Nobody can make a statement that will be true in absolutely every single situation! LOL!

But with a few exceptions, land owned by the paper companies and large landowners is publically accessible. (This was told to me by a senior Plum Creek employee.)

Here's a good reference (http://mainegov-images.informe.org/doc/mfs/pubs/pdf/biodiversity_forests_me.pdf) (see page 125).

parmachenee
05-29-2006, 09:08 AM
I have created a cache (Maine's DeLorme Challenge) that copies one created by Haicoole from California, called "California DeLorme Challenge (GCHANH)". It is currently in the review process. My question here is more for the folks that live North of Topsham, Maine.

I've been North many times with my Dad to pick up french fries from the plant in Presque Isle when I was a very young kid. I've never been to the North West side of Northern Maine (My loss probably), the question is should I exempt some of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer pages due to the remoteness of the area? My mapping software shows roads into all index pages but I assume they are logging roads and I do not know the rules for using them.

What are some of your thoughts?

Team Teebow 1

Many of those roads are gated. You might want to check first.

robt
05-29-2006, 09:44 AM
One solution would be to put in it that would would consider exempting a page if the area does not have a cache in it and it is not possible to leagal place a cache in that area. Then just have the cacher email you requesting the exemption. that way each person that is attempting the challenge can help in deciding the exemptions cause they are more likly to know more about the area if they are in the area.

Hiram357
05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
In my experience wandering around up there some of the roads on DeLorme's... don't even exist... they're barely trails, or they turn into private roads or they're posted. Although I love going up there and getting lost, it's almost not worth it anymore just because there's so many restricted places, it just gets irritating to drive 20miles into nowhere just to find out ya gotta turn back. (but then again there's the 4x4 option...)

tat
05-29-2006, 09:18 PM
No. Do not exempt the best parts! If you find a map that seems to have no access, please let me know! If there are no caches, we should be able to work with someone who can responibly place and maintain one.

brdad
05-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Well, sheesh! Nobody can make a statement that will be true in absolutely every single situation! LOL!

Is that true? :D

team teebow
05-30-2006, 06:41 AM
I have been working with GPSFUN to make this a workable cache for both cachers and me as the owner. He has been GREAT on giving me ideas and suggestions and I think it is almost ready to be published.

I have exempted the following pages but if anyone feels I should remove them let me know. This is what I have posted on the cache page;

"I have decided to exempt the following pages; 54, 60, 61, 62, 66, and 70. These pages currently do not have caches in them and are parts of paper company property and such. I feel it would be to difficult or near impossible to get permission for a cache in those areas."

I want this to be a fun challenge for everyone. When I stumbled across the California DeLorme Challenge on GC.com I thought HOW COOL, Maine needs one of these. But with Maine's remoteness I knew it would be a challenge to get permission to place a cache in some of the index pages and almost canned the whole thing. But after talking to some other cachers at work and they talking to GPSFUN I decided to go forward with the idea.

So, once it becomes published and if folks feel I should remove some of the exemp pages or add other ones please let me know.

Tom T :)

team teebow
05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
The challenge is published!!!

Team Teebow 1

Sudonim
05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I saw the original version of this cache and thought it looked like a lot of fun. Looking forward to completing this one (some day!)

tat
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
What a fun rainy day project! I made 1 set of 70 filters for GSAK to find out just how many maps I've "cleared". I was supprised to see how many maps still have no caches.

So, here's an idea for a new cache series:

Delorme's Missing Caches, Map #9, 45, 46, 47. 48, 52, 56, 57, 63. 67. 68.

If you are interested in placing them or agreeing to be a maintainer, post a note here.

Let me know if you are interested in the filters and I will send you a link.

Sudonim
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
TAT, great minds think alike! I read this as I was in the middle of an Excel spreadsheet trying to export pocket queries into it to figure out the same thing. A couple of discrepencies...
Map 9. 2 caches, GC8437 and GCGNX2

Map 38 has no caches in it. There are two close ones, but just off.
I haven't checked far north yet, but working on it.

Also trying to figure the fastest way between coburn gore and the border crossing in Jackman. I think through Canada...

Sudonim
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Also:
Map 45 GC8746, GCK3X8
Map 47 GCGYC4
Map 56 GC311E
Map 63 GC9705, GC4701
MAP 68 GCKFMC

I'm working out of the '97 Gazetteer, but I am assuming that the pages are on the same coord grids.

tat
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, I tried to do some checking but, there sure are a lot of ways to go wrong. Here is a link for the spread sheet:

http://www.gobozeman.net/thetiemans/tom/delorme.xls

And the .csv files:

http://www.gobozeman.net/thetiemans/tom/delorme.zip

Hopefully, together, we can get a handle on this. I'm using a 2004 map.

tat
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I checked the errors that Sudonim reported. The good news is the errors are not in the filters. I missed map 38 in the post. I need to get all of the caches in my GSAK database. I guess I need to do a better pq!

tat
06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Sabby just wrote to me and found an error in column P of the spreadsheet. I have corrected the error and reformatted the spreadsheet to make it more appealing to the eye (I hope :) ).

Please note the filters for maps 1, 17, 27, 47 and 67 do not take into account the pieces of land outside of the typical 25' x 25' grid.

I will get the revised version posted tonight.

Team Trout
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I just tried using TAT's .csv files to make a filter in GSAK. I'm getting strange results and I'm wondering if I've found a bug in GSAK or if I'm doing something wrong. Here's the details:

I'm running GSAK Version 6.6.1 (Build=30). I've got a database created from 3 pocket queries to cover the whole state. The first one contains all caches in Maine hidden between 1/1/01 and 9/10/04, the second contains all Maine caches hidden between 9/11/04 and 12/31/05, and the third has all caches from 1/1/06 to 12/31/09. This gives me a database with 1244 waypoints.

To use one of TAT's files as a filter I use this menu command: Search -> Filter -> Arc/Poly -> Load from file. I then pick the .csv file from those TAT posted in the zip file for the desired map. TAT's .csv files contain the coordinates for the 4 corners of the map expressed in decimal degrees, DD.DDDDDDDD. So for instance, when I choose TAT's file for map 5, I get this loaded:
43.66666667,-70.58333333
44.08333333,-70.58333333
43.66666667,-70.16666667
44.08333333,-70.16666667
Then I choose Filter Type -> Polygon and hit the "Go" button. The filter gets applied, resulting in a subset found that contains 64 waypoints.

The problem is if I do the same thing, but instead of loading a .cvs file I put in the coordinates of the 4 corners myself, manually, using the DD MM.MMM like this:
N 43 40.000, W 70 35.000
N 43 40.000, W 70 10.000
N 44 05.000, W 70 10.000
N 44 05.000, W 70 35.000
I get a different result. This method yields 133 waypoints.

I've exported both methods' results into .gpx files and opened them with Mapsource to visually compare them and they both cover the same geographical area. The only difference is the one made from the .csv file is missing a bunch of waypoints. I've compared both results to a Mapsoure plotting of all the database's waypoints and the DD MM.MMM method seems to have them all where the DD.DDDDDDD method is missing a bunch.

I also tried loading the DD MM.MMM coordinates as a text file from the same menu commands and it still picked up all the waypoints in the polygon. Also, entering the DD.DDDDDDD cordinates manually results in missing waypoints.

I'm wondering if there a bug in using GSAK with DD.DDDDDDD coordinates or am I doing something wrong.

Has anyone else tried this and seen the same result?

Team Trout
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Looking at my own post it become obvioous to me that the way the numbers in the .csv files are listed they were making a bow tie shaped polygon instead of a rectangle. If I rearrange the numbers in the .csv file I get the same results as I do from the manually entered ones.

Insert Homer Simpson "DOH!" here. :p

Slate
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Looking at my own post it become obvioous to me that the way the numbers in the .csv files are listed they were making a bow tie shaped polygon instead of a rectangle. If I rearrange the numbers in the .csv file I get the same results as I do from the manually entered ones.

Insert Homer Simpson "DOH!" here.

I just figured out the same thing. I couldn't figure out why caches I knew I had found weren't showing up with my filter. Do the order of all the squares in the *.csv have to be rearranged or is there another easier way to get it to work right?

Haffy
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Does someone want to explain in plain english what you are all trying to do? :confused:

WhereRWe?
06-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Does someone want to explain in plain english what you are all trying to do? :confused:

Thanks, Haffy. I wanted to ask the same question but didn't want to appear dumb. LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tat
06-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Sure.

Team Teabow placed a cache, Delorme Challenge. The object of the cache is to find at least one cache on each of the 70 maps in the Delorme Gazateer. One approach is to use GSAK.

If you click on the "seach" tab then filters, a pop up will appear that has several tabs. One of the tabs is "arc/poly". Then, pick "load from file". The program is looking for a certain type of file, which some of us have created. The file has the extension .csv and is sometimes called a "csv file". The file is a list of waypoints. If you check "polygon" the program will try to interperate the points as a triangle or square or rectangle, whatever shape the points make.

The Delorme maps are 4 sided, so each file has 4 waypoints for the corners. The GSAK program has an easy time going from corner 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. It has a hard time if you list the corners out of ordrer, say 1 to 2 then catty-corrner to 4 and back to 3. It draws the shape of a bow tie, not a rectangle.

tat
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
The files are updated, hopefully there are no more errors.

The spreadsheet now show 3 colors. Light Blue indicates that there is at least one cache to be found on that map. Red indicates that we need to get "someone" to place a cache. Dark Gray is for the exempted maps.

Please let me know if there are any other errors, and I'll fix them.

Thanks all.

tat
06-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Haffy, the smarter method is to ask BRDAD if you can borrow his Gazateer! :)

brdad
06-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Haffy, the smarter method is to ask BRDAD if you can borrow his Gazateer! :)

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing! I just bought a new one, actually To start fresh with just the caches I have not found yet. That's 700 of 'em!). I remember when I had about 160 caches left to find in Maine and thought I might get them all one day. The old gazateer is getting a little congested with all those marks. But I still prefer it over the laptop, GPS, or PDA maps.

Haffy
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
So once all the bugs are gone can you please post the file so we ALL can use it? Thanks

Sudonim
06-05-2006, 09:55 PM

The spreadsheet now show 3 colors. Light Blue indicates that there is at least one cache to be found on that map. Red indicates that we need to get "someone" to place a cache. Dark Gray is for the exempted maps.

Thanks all.

For us non-GSAK users, can you give us the updated list of maps needing a cache?

tat
06-06-2006, 05:50 AM
38, 46, 48 and 57 appear to be the only maps in play without a cache.

Cache Maine
06-06-2006, 10:14 AM
For us non-GSAK users, can you give us the updated list of maps needing a cache?

I had no idea NON-GSAK users even existed! :eek: And you Sudonim, I'm very surprised! Somebody send that guy a link! :p :D :)

Slate
06-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Thanks all.

Are the current *.csv files saved to the link posted above? They still look like they are in "bowtie" format?

Slate
06-06-2006, 10:26 AM
38, 46, 48 and 57 appear to be the only maps in play without a cache.

There is a cache on map 48, but it is unavailable and it looks like it should be archived.
"Nana's Ladybug Cache" GCJQCF

tat
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
"Nana's Ladybug Cache" GCJQCF is archived.

The files have been updated and should be right, but please let me know.

brdad
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I had no idea NON-GSAK users even existed! :eek: And you Sudonim, I'm very surprised! Somebody send that guy a link! :p :D :)

I don't use GSAK either. I tried two earlier versions, and had to duct tape my head to keep it from exploding it was so hard to figure out. Fortunately, my backup program is still working.

Laughing Terry's "Thank a Tacher" cache was nearly as confusing, but at least customer support was better with that. ;-)

Slate
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
"Nana's Ladybug Cache" GCJQCF is archived.

The files have been updated and should be right, but please let me know.

Gpsfun posted a note on April 19 about archiving the cache, but hasn’t archived it yet.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=117dc59d-d7fd-41d6-b11b-e2ea71ff1557

When I save delorme.zip from the link above I get .csv files which don’t seem to form a square.

Example:
21.csv – date modified: 6/4/06 12:22 PM with the following cords:

44.5 -69.75
44.91666667 -69.75
44.5 -69.33333333
44.91666667 -69.33333333

Which is lower-left, upper-left, lower-right, upper-right – forming a “bowtie”

tat
06-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow, I can't believe I did that!!!

The posted .csv files find 1/2 of the caches! I'll get the revised ones posted tonight.

Sorry!

Sabby
06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I think a Maine cacher should ask GPSFUN to archive

Nana's Ladybug Cache" GCJQCF

It has been unavailable too long.

Haffy
06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
When and if these files are ever posted so they are correct, can they be made available to all of us? :) Thanks Haffy

Slate
06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, I can't believe I did that!!!

The posted .csv files find 1/2 of the caches! I'll get the revised ones posted tonight.

Sorry!

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I was totally missing something.

tat
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
When and if these files are ever posted so they are correct, can they be made available to all of us? :) Thanks Haffy

I didn't intend to ignor you, Haffy! The links are in post #19, just go back to page 2 of this thread and you will see them.

As to when they will be right, well.... :)

Sudonim
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Nope, never used it. PC only software.

team teebow
06-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for having fun with this cache... I have been nervous from the start about it being able to work and how would I handle verifications and all. Well, from all of your work and posts I have learned TONS of new things from my DeLorme software, GSAK, .csv files, right down to the DeLorme Gazetteer. I never knew the coordinates were in the corner of the pages! DOH!!! Now my only concern is someone will submit caches for verification and I have not had a chance to make my finders gift due to truck transmission problems and a pending BIG BILL for repair.

All of you folks are GREAT and I love the stuff you have been creating to conquer this cache! KEEP IT UP!!!!!

Team Teebow 1
Tom T

tat
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
The latest .xls file is posted. I did indeed make a "bowtie". The pattern is now corrected. Also, polygons need to be "closed" by starting and ending in the same place. This correction has been made.

Could someone make a file to check the filters? I think it would include 4 waypoints near the corners of each map and may even add some in case someone places a cache in one of those out of the way places on maps 17, etc.

Hope to update the .csv files tonight.

tat
06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
The .csv files are updated. Once again, if anyone sees anything wrong, let me know

WhereRWe?
06-07-2006, 07:03 AM
I think a Maine cacher should ask GPSFUN to archive

Nana's Ladybug Cache" GCJQCF

It has been unavailable too long.

Looks like Hafy put a bug in GPSFun's ear - it is now archived.

And it also looks like this was an illegal "vacation cache". The cache owner has found 5 caches, all in Hawaii, and placed 3 caches - one in Maine, one in Hawaii and one in Missouri.

Slate
06-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Unfortunatly, that cache is probably still out in the woods somewhere as geo-trash.:(

tat
06-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Unfortunatly, that cache is probably still out in the woods somewhere as geo-trash.:(

Oh no! Not another rescue mission!! :)

Cache Maine
06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Okay, here we go. I love the idea of this cache. However, I don't follow a thing you guys are talking about as far as bowtie.csv+gsak-whatever. Has anyone else come up with a clever way (besides brdad) to find out how many maps they have cleared so far? I printed off a little map and plan to cross them out as I go. When I look at the map, and pull a town, I can usually remember if I have been there to cache, and then find what map it is in. Pretty time consuming, but doable. Any ideas?

Slate
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
The .csv files are updated. Once again, if anyone sees anything wrong, let me know

Looks pretty good, I think you are almost there. I just found one error. It looks like 51.csv is wrong, it looks like a copy of 50.csv.

Thanks for taking all the time to put this together for everyone else to use.

Sudonim
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Okay, here we go. I love the idea of this cache. However, I don't follow a thing you guys are talking about as far as bowtie.csv+gsak-whatever. Has anyone else come up with a clever way (besides brdad) to find out how many maps they have cleared so far? I printed off a little map and plan to cross them out as I go. When I look at the map, and pull a town, I can usually remember if I have been there to cache, and then find what map it is in. Pretty time consuming, but doable. Any ideas?
I've been crossing off the maps on the back of my Gazetteer.
I also bought a 30x40" map of Maine, put it on a corkboard and I'm using pins to plot out northern Maine caches so I can figure out how to optimize my trips.
Pedalchick is making noises like I may have a problem, but hey, I can stop whenever I want...right?

Sabby
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I have been working with TAT on an EXCEL spreadsheet that gives the index page of the caches. If all goes well I will be available to download soon.

Mainiac1957
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
OK what do I do with all these numbers now. I know how to do the polygon on GSAK. Is there a way to import them or do I have to hand enter them. I'm sure I am just missing some obvious step here. Please HELP:eek:

Slate
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
OK what do I do with all these numbers now. I know how to do the polygon on GSAK. Is there a way to import them or do I have to hand enter them. I'm sure I am just missing some obvious step here. Please HELP:eek:
In GSAK go to filter and there is a tab on the right named "arc/poly". Click on that tab. There is a button "load from file". Click on that and pick the .csv file for the map # you want to filter. Make sure you picked polygon as the filter type.

Haffy
06-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Can you load all of them as a batch file or do they have to be loaded individually?

tat
06-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Can you load all of them as a batch file or do they have to be loaded individually?

You could load all the points in one file, but then you would see all of the caches you found in Maine. What you want to know is which maps you have found a cache. I can't think of a way to which parts of the filter added caches and which ones didn't. But, applying the filters individually, it is easy to see if there are any finds with any particular filter.

Mainiac1957
06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I have it going now and it's working fine. Now I just have to get out and get the missing areas.

tat
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I fixed file 51.csv and hopefully that is the last error. Good luck and if any one has trouble, just post your questions here.

Sabby
06-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I was very intrigued by the DeLorme Challenge when I saw it but I probably will never get to log it.

When I saw what TAT had done with filters for GSAK it got my mind going to see what areas that I had gotten done. I worked on an EXCEL spreadsheet that can be used to find what index sheet they are in. It can accept data from a GSAK .csv file as input. If you enter all the Maine caches it provides insight into how many caches are in each index. If you just enter your “found” caches you will know where you have to go yet.

TAT has been a great help and has agreed to host the spreadsheet in an area where all can view it and download it to use. BE FORWARNED IT IS A 7 Mb file and will take some time if you are on dial-up. The data in the file now is from a Pocket Query run on 06/05/06 and includes 1205 caches that are active or unavailable. No archived caches.

You can go here to get the spreadsheet

http://www.gobozeman.net/thetiemans/tom/ME delorme calc R2.xls

I hope it helps.

You can PM me with comments, suggestions, and problems.

Sudonim
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Once again Sabby, you impress me with your mad excel skills:D
I like the last one where you put the maps in the right graphical order.
Thanks.

d’76
06-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Where do you guys come up with stuff. This is awesome. Thanks so much. I feel pretty lucky that I have already got some of the harder maps complete. I will be interested to see how many I have. I will play with that spread sheet and my cache page and see how many I have left.

You guys are the greatest.

Haffy
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Now that I downloaded the excel spreadsheet it is asking me what to use to open it with. So what do I use to open it with? I know I am puter illiterate.

WhereRWe?
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Now that I downloaded the excel spreadsheet it is asking me what to use to open it with. So what do I use to open it with? I know I am puter illiterate.

Open it with Excel! LOL!

(It's a Microsoft spreadsheet program) :D :D

The G Team
06-08-2006, 09:55 AM

I suspect, John, that you do not have MS Excel on your computer. You could try the free Open Office software, available here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

which has an Excel compatible spreadsheet (though some advanced features may work differently or not at all). Be forewarned, it is a large download.

team teebow
06-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Cheryl and I are enjoying all of the buzz going on here. You folks certianly have shown your creativeness on creating something to solve your cache finds in each index page. I give all of you an A+. I was afraid no one would like the challenge but I think I was wrong....

Team Teebow 1
Tom T

Sudonim
06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Cheryl and I are enjoying all of the buzz going on here. You folks certianly have shown your creativeness on creating something to solve your cache finds in each index page. I give all of you an A+. I was afraid no one would like the challenge but I think I was wrong....

Team Teebow 1
Tom T

The two biggest challenges are going to be getting enough time off from work to make the long drives north, and that nasty gas card bill at the end of the month:eek:
Planning this one has gotten the thinking cap working hard, thanks for the challenge.

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I was very intrigued by the DeLorme Challenge when I saw it but I probably will never get to log it.

When I saw what TAT had done with filters for GSAK it got my mind going to see what areas that I had gotten done. I worked on an EXCEL spreadsheet that can be used to find what index sheet they are in. It can accept data from a GSAK .csv file as input. If you enter all the Maine caches it provides insight into how many caches are in each index. If you just enter your “found” caches you will know where you have to go yet.

TAT has been a great help and has agreed to host the spreadsheet in an area where all can view it and download it to use. BE FORWARNED IT IS A 7 Mb file and will take some time if you are on dial-up. The data in the file now is from a Pocket Query run on 06/05/06 and includes 1205 caches that are active or unavailable. No archived caches.

You can go here to get the spreadsheet

http://www.gobozeman.net/thetiemans/tom/ME delorme calc R2.xls

I hope it helps.

You can PM me with comments, suggestions, and problems.

Awesome job!! Thanks!!:D

Sabby
06-14-2006, 11:48 AM
An updated version of the EXCEL spreadsheet has been posted. There is no data in the new version. You will have to add it from your GSAK export. Additional note has been added and the map has been refined. Go to the origional post to get the link.

Haffy
06-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Maybe some nice kind soul can put that into another format or file so I can download it as I don't use excel.

Sabby
06-14-2006, 12:27 PM
What spreadsheet do you use??
What formats can it read??

Haffy
06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Spreadsheet? What's a spreadsheet? I use Microsoft word,thats all I know how to use and that is even iffy at times....lol

Sabby
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't know to say this nicely.

I think you have to invest in a Gazetteer and plot your finds with a pencil.

I don't know how to make the spreadsheet auto run nor do I know how to program in some computer language that would self run.

Can anybody help Haffy?

Haffy
06-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't know to say this nicely.

I think you have to invest in a Gazetteer and plot your finds with a pencil.

Thats what I am trying to avoid but if that's the only way then I guess that's what I'll have to do then. Thanks anyway Sabby

brdad
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Thats what I am trying to avoid but if that's the only way then I guess that's what I'll have to do then. Thanks anyway Sabby

I jusst got done marking a new gazateer with all the Maine caches I have not yet done. That's about 725 caches, took me about 5 hours total. Here is a state map of all Maine caches using the Delorme back cover:

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/delorme1.jpg
(800K JPG)

If you want to go the Watcher route like I do, haffy, I can send you an index file of all the profiles for the maps, so you can at least load any GPX file and sort by the maps.

Haffy
06-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks Dave but I don't use watcher I use GSAK so don't know how that would be accomplished. Looks like you did a great job though putting all those caches on the map.

Haffy
06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe I can find out exactly what I have to do to put all my finds on the map at the event Saturday because don't know how to do it otherwise. I'm just thick I guess. :)

brdad
06-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe I can find out exactly what I have to do to put all my finds on the map at the event Saturday because don't know how to do it otherwise. I'm just thick I guess. :)

Send me the GPX file of all your finds, and I'll put them on the map I just posted...

tat
06-14-2006, 06:06 PM
brdad, your map shows caches on maps 57 and 48. Are they still active and if so, what are the waypoints?

tat
06-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I will have my laptop with me on Saturday, I'll try to answer any questions.

brdad
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
brdad, your map shows caches on maps 57 and 48. Are they still active and if so, what are the waypoints?

That's innacurracy of the map on such a big scale. the two you see on 57 are on the bottom of 63, and the one you see on 48 should be on 49. Hmmm, I may have to re-check my calibration ;-)

vicbiker
06-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Last sunday number seven and myself did eight caches in that remote western maine area.The area is absolutely gorgeous,awesome mts.,waterfalls,and even a prisoner of war camp.It is a lot of driving as you have to come out the way you went in.We put on 250 miles.We were so close to Canada the moose were speaking french.The frieghning caches are the ones in places like Portland.Traffic lights,oneway streets,cars blowing horns,give me the North Woods any day.

brdad
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Actually, the mark on 48 is the now archived Nana's Ladybug Cache. So, my calibration is close as it's gonna get...

Sudonim
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Depending on how my day goes tomorrow, I hope to have a cache placed on map 46. Got a heads up from a local of a pretty spot by a waterfall. I'll check it out.
Nice job on the map Dave. Looks as good as my 4' map taking up space in the office!

d’76
06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Remember on the inside cover there is a blue box that states that the map cant be electronically stored or copied
;)

firefighterjake
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Remember on the inside cover there is a blue box that states that the map cant be electronically stored or copied
;)

I won't tell if you don't tell . . . and I imagine that the copyright is for those seeking to make copies for a profitable venture. Where's our "legal eagle" TRF when you need him -- he could probably explain it better. ;) :D

brdad
06-15-2006, 07:45 AM
;)

ya, I saw that. Good thing it didn't say so on the back cover :D
I wonder just how far that goes... maybe I should email them.

d’76
06-15-2006, 08:05 AM
ya, I saw that. Good thing it didn't say so on the back cover :D
I wonder just how far that goes... maybe I should email them.

I would spend alot of time worring agout it. No one in here I'm sure will cafe. Haffy may use that against you for the coords to eagle eye. HINT HINT haffy:D :p

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-15-2006, 09:56 AM
I won't tell if you don't tell . . . and I imagine that the copyright is for those seeking to make copies for a profitable venture. Where's our "legal eagle" TRF when you need him -- he could probably explain it better. ;) :D

Ahem,,,Ok folks, listen up......:D . The photo of the back page of the Delormes is cited as reference with credit given to Delormes therefore its not in violation of any copyright infringements. Plus what FFJ said......

Isn't the Holiday Inn Express great??!!! I stayed there just once mind you!!:D :D :D :D :D

firefighterjake
06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Ahem,,,Ok folks, listen up......:D . The photo of the back page of the Delormes is cited as reference with credit given to Delormes therefore its not in violation of any copyright infringements. Plus what FFJ said......

Isn't the Holiday Inn Express great??!!! I stayed there just once mind you!!:D :D :D :D :D

Hmmm . . . maybe I should stop staying at those hotel dives and then maybe I'd learn something besides the going rates in the town I'm staying at. ;) :D

Sabby
06-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I found a slight error :( in the spreadsheet I posted. A very small sliver of Index 10 lies to the west of Long. 71 00.00. Long. 71 00.00 is Ok for all the other sheets in that column.

The fix is simple. :) After downloading the spreadsheet go to the page ME delorme calc, cell AD44, and enter a 10 there. It is in the yellow shaded area to the right of 402. Then save the sheet.

Sorry for the error.

Sudonim
06-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Map 46 is now populated. It should post in a day or two.
Man, that's a lot of driving, but worth it. I found a real pretty spot.

brdad
06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I was tring to see just how accurate my map was calibrated, so I decided to make a track file which drew out all the grids on the Maine Gazateer. It took a lot of hand editing but it works great. The photo below shows how it would show up in USAPhotomaps. It could also be converted to other formats, or even uploaded to your GPS.

The track file in CSV format is here (http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/delorme.csv). (Works with USAPhotomaps)
The track file in Mapsource format is here (http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/delorme.mps).

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/MDIgrid.jpg

becket
06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
The photo below shows how it would show up in USAPhotomaps. It could also be converted to other formats, or even uploaded to your GPS.

wow, what a cool way to see my caches! thanks!

brdad
06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't use GSAK, and I reinstalled it just to get the Spreadsheet to work and it crashes every time. So, I want to make a GPX to Excel converter of my own to bypass all that GSAK stuff.

Can someone please post the text of a single cache GPX file converted to the Excel Workbook file so that I can see exactly how the data has to be in the file?

Haffy
06-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Maybe Sabby can help you out as he is the one who sent me that excel sheet that you saw at the event.

Sabby
06-19-2006, 09:48 AM
We are already working on it