View Full Version : Channel 5 news

Sudonim
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Firefighter Jake conned me into a news feature on geocaching. Short notice, but we are on tonight (6/6) on the 6 pm news. Channel 5 in Bangor, not sure if it goes anywhere else. They said a short version will be on the 11pm news and rerun tomorrow morning too.
Jake is the one giving all the info, I'm just there to look pretty:D

Mainiac1957
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Can I have yer Auty-graff mister Sudy-nim:D :D :D :D

I just seen youz on the TV set.:D :D :D :D

Actually it's on now............ Not too bad, not bad at all. A nice positve spin for sure. And you two look mahvelous!!;)

brdad
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
If I could have had two more minutes to prepare I would have recorded it with my computer to MPG for all to see. I got to see it, however. Nice job.

Mainiac1957
06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
on my TIVO but I don't have a clue what to do with it.

The G Team
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Very nice job--you both got plenty of screen time!

brdad
06-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Bring your TIVO over here, and I can dunb it over to the PC hehe. Unless you have your own video capture card.

Mainiac1957
06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I can do it with that

becket
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
what a great job! i really enjoyed that, and you picked such a cool cache to go to

brdad
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Good enough. If you need web space to put it on, email it and I'll put it on mine

Haffy
06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I want to see it please!!!!!!

brdad
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
I want to see it please!!!!!!

If Brad does record it, I'll make sure one of us mails you a CD of it, since you'd be two weeks downlioading it. :) Maybe I could even try out that new geo post office and send it that way

Haffy
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Works for me.....

team teebow
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
I wanna see too!!!:D

hollora
06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Hope we can all see it. I was coming home from visiting hubby in hospital - he called to say watch it - I didn't make it home in time. Please share.

hollora
06-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Caught this on the 11 o'clock........nicely done gentleman! Thank you.

brdad
06-07-2006, 06:21 AM
I managed to wake up at 11 long enough to get the the shortened version. I tried again this morning in case it was the longer one, but it was not.

Anyway, the shortened version can be found at http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/Channel_6_(Jun_6)_006.mpg. It's about 20 MB, so those that want to see it that are on dial up may need to find some other method of getting it.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2006, 06:52 AM

If you've figured out how to record to your DVD player from your TIVO, please let me know! LOL!

WhereRWe?
06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
I managed to wake up at 11 long enough to get the the shortened version. I tried again this morning in case it was the longer one, but it was not.

Anyway, the shortened version can be found at http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/Channel_6_(Jun_6)_006.mpg. It's about 20 MB, so those that want to see it that are on dial up may need to find some other method of getting it.

Thanks for the link!

This was well done, Andy & Jake. A very positive story. :D :D

parmachenee
06-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Didn't catch it on tv but saw the web version. Looked good!!:)

Haffy
06-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey Frank what's the link for the web version?

dí76
06-07-2006, 07:34 AM

Right here Haffy

Haffy
06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Yeah I read that earlier but 20 mb on dial-up,I would be here til next week....lol

Haffy
06-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I did manage to read the script,a shortened version from the WABI-TV site but reading the script and seeing the interview just isn't the same.

Sabby
06-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Great job Andy and Jake. I think the piece presented Geocaching in a positive way.

firefighterjake
06-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I missed seeing it on both the early evening news and the late night news. My wife caught part of it though . . . said they shot an angle that didn't make me look very good . . . but then again, that would be every angle.

I will say that this was one of my more fun interviews . . . it was fun "working" with Andy . . . almost as fun as geocaching with him (except for the fact that he ALWAYS finds the cache before I do.) :D

Is there any way to put the longer version on here . . . I have DSL at work so I imagine it wouldn't take forever and a day to watch this.

firefighterjake
06-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Firefighter Jake conned me into a news feature on geocaching. Short notice, but we are on tonight (6/6) on the 6 pm news. Channel 5 in Bangor, not sure if it goes anywhere else. They said a short version will be on the 11pm news and rerun tomorrow morning too.
Jake is the one giving all the info, I'm just there to look pretty:D

"Conned" is a word with such negative connotations Andy . . . I would prefer the word "convinced" -- besides I figured they needed a veteran geocacher to give some perspective to the piece. :D

As for me giving all the info and you were there just to look pretty . . . uh, I hate to say this, but I don't think either one of us will be winning the Mr. America Contest anytime soon. :D

In all seriousness, I haven't seen the piece . . . I hope we did geocaching justice. It was truly fun to "work" with you.

firefighterjake
06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the link!

This was well done, Andy & Jake. A very positive story. :D :D

I haven't seen the story, but Andy made sure he flashed your geocaching permit card which was still in the cache at the camera Bruce . . . you may not have been there physically, but you were with us in spirit. :D

firefighterjake
06-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm a little slow this morning. I've got a few things to do this morning, but later on I'll see if I can't get out to WABI and ask them to make a videotape for me of this program. I can then drop it into the new Bangor Geomailbox as "junk mail" for anyone to check out.

Haffy
06-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I did manage to download the shorter version that Brdad had the link to from his website and it took almost an hour but it was well worth the wait. Thanks Brdad. Now I am hoping the longer version will be available some way or another to view. Thanks to Jake and Andy for putting geocaching in the positive light.

team teebow
06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Just watched the web version. Nice job guys!

team teebow 2(cheryl)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Great job Jake and Andy!! and a great plug for geocaching!!!

Sudonim
06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I watched the 6 and 11pm versions last night and I think they were the same. The reporter said there would be a short one for the 11pm news, but maybe it was a slow day:D
I had fun doing this with Jake and was happy with the way they distilled an hour of "stuff" into 2 minutes of info someone might actually be able to use.

Cache Maine
06-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Great job you two. I love how they didn't "reveal" your exact location. For the ones that have been there, it was unmistakeable....yet didn't spoil the hunt for future cachers. Now if we just get Sudonim to use GSAK. :)

brdad
06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Is there any way to put the longer version on here . . . I have DSL at work so I imagine it wouldn't take forever and a day to watch this.

If Brad can convert his TIVO to a file, I can put it up.

I watched the 6 and 11pm versions last night and I think they were the same. The reporter said there would be a short one for the 11pm news, but maybe it was a slow day:D

I think it was shorter at 11. Maybe if notrhing else Brad can time his TIVO'd version and see if it's longer than what I recorded, about 2 minutes.

firefighterjake
06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Great job you two. I love how they didn't "reveal" your exact location. For the ones that have been there, it was unmistakeable....yet didn't spoil the hunt for future cachers. Now if we just get Sudonim to use GSAK. :)

That was all due to Andy and his veteran experience. He suggested the Marina and since it had a great location, good hide and great container (plus it wasn't so far away that we would be huffing and puffing . . . OK, I would be huffing and puffing . . . by the time we got there). Another plus was that we had both found it before so we wouldn't be doing an unfamiliar cache and have to log a DNF on camera!:D

Andy is also the one who asked that the camera guy not shoot the exact hiding location to not spoil the find and we tried to be careful when showing Travel Bugs. He was the brains of the outfit . . . and I was the -- uh, well I'm not exactly sure what I was . . . the comic relief to show the humorous side of geocaching? The balding, clueless fat guy to show other folks that you don't have to be a triathlete, under the age of 25 or have an IQ above 75 to geocache? Hmmm . . . I'm still unsure why I was there. :D

Mainiac1957
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
My version is 2 min and 2 seconds so it sounds like it was the same at both 6 and 11. I need to look at the book and see how to do it. Stay tuned.

Oh BTW, nice work guys!

brdad
06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
My version is 2 min and 2 seconds so it sounds like it was the same at both 6 and 11.

Ah, must have been then. Musta been my imagination. If so, there's no need to do it, other than knowing how so you're prepared next time!

I forgot I had lee's Replay TV to record anything that mentioned geocaching, but that didn't pick it up, either...

Kacky
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
:)I wanna see too! :)

brdad
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
:)I wanna see too! :)
Did you try the link, or are you on dila up?

BTW, do you make your sig dolls?

Pooh and friends
06-07-2006, 08:47 PM
That was a very nice, and well put together. Thanx Guys!!:)

Cache'n Jacksons
06-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Nice job guys! That came across very well indeed. :)

Kacky
06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Did you try the link, or are you on dila up?

BTW, do you make your sig dolls?

DUH, I didn't even notice the link. I'll go watch in momentarily. I do make my sig dolls. They don't seem to be that popular in caches, but I know that when I have showed them to people, the little kids ask for them. So I figure somebody will want one!

Cache Maine
06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
DUH, I didn't even notice the link. I'll go watch in momentarily. I do make my sig dolls. They don't seem to be that popular in caches, but I know that when I have showed them to people, the little kids ask for them. So I figure somebody will want one!

I MOST definately want one. Do you have a picture to share?

The G Team
06-08-2006, 01:17 PM

Yes, post a pic--sig items are about the only thing I trade for these days.

brdad
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM

I need to update my sig items picture pages, I must have 15 or 20 more to add. I've been such a slacker lately. Anyway, I just took one of the kacky doll:

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/sig_items/kacky.jpg

kayakerinme
06-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Very well done!

If you haven't already done so, you should submit this to Shauna, the Groundspeak Lackey who's responsible for PR. You can contact her at pr(at)groundspeak.com. Even if you can't share the video with her, she still tries to keep track of these stories. She may be able to get an "official" clip from the station.

-Barry

Cache Maine
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I need to update my sig items picture pages, I must have 15 or 20 more to add. I've been such a slacker lately. Anyway, I just took one of the kacky doll:

OHhhhhhh!!!! She is great! Time to follow Kacky's travels so I can get one of these....oh wait....I bet they are all different! Uh oh....no becket, you can't have the whole set. LOL :D :p :)

becket
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
...I bet they are all different! Uh oh....no becket, you can't have the whole set. LOL :D :p :)

that doll is so cool! i want one! and i will settle for one. i still have to find one of ffj's roof ladders to complete my ladder set, though.

WhereRWe?
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes, post a pic--sig items are about the only thing I trade for these days.

You know - that's the same for RULOST2? and I! Sheesh! You can't even find decent McToys in a cache anymore! LOL!

WhereRWe?
06-08-2006, 03:41 PM
That's a nice sig item! Between your dolls, MsTeeLee's cardinals, and Forest Nymph's acorns, there is some very nice craft work out there! :D :D

(Much better than a rubber chicken! LOL!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

brdad
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM

I think a chicken dinner would make a nice sig item, if someone wanted to make them.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/sig_items/unknown6.jpg

Speaking of which, I saw a chicken on the news once. (Just to keep with the actual thread topic). And no, it wasn't FFJ or Sudonim!

firefighterjake
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
That's a nice sig item! Between your dolls, MsTeeLee's cardinals, and Forest Nymph's acorns, there is some very nice craft work out there! :D :D

You know those ladders of mine take me a while to build as well. ;)

WhereRWe?
06-08-2006, 04:27 PM
You know those ladders of mine take me a while to build as well. ;)

Yeah - matter of fact I have one right next to me - #77! LOL!

No offense, intended to the other great crafters out there - I just mentioned the first 3 that popped into my head. Matter of fact, here's a link to Brdad's sig item page (http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm) that shows some great examples of the art work out there. :D :D

firefighterjake
06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah - matter of fact I have one right next to me - #77! LOL!

No offense, intended to the other great crafters out there - I just mentioned the first 3 that popped into my head. Matter of fact, here's a link to Brdad's sig item page (http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm) that shows some great examples of the art work out there. :D :D

I realized that you meant no slight . . . and I definitely have to find one of those dolls . . . of course it won't really be for me . . . it will be for my younger sister, yeah, yeah, 'cause as a guy you know it just wouldn't be cool for me looking for a doll. :D

brdad
06-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Matter of fact, here's a link to Brdad's sig item page (http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm) that shows some great examples of the art work out there. :D :D

Oddly enough, all this talk made me decide to update it and I uploaded it about 2 minutes ago. So, it has all sig items listed now that I have. I think...

I must say I like the home made stuff better than the store bought, or at least anything that has taken some effort, not right off the shelf...

firefighterjake
06-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Oddly enough, all this talk made me decide to update it and I uploaded it about 2 minutes ago. So, it has all sig items listed now that I have. I think...

I must say I like the home made stuff better than the store bought, or at least anything that has taken some effort, not right off the shelf...

I feel the same way -- with a few exceptions -- one being LT's rubber chickens since you can never have too few rubber chickens hanging around. :D Honestly, not to upset anyone, but business card signature items to me are lame . . . once again with a few exceptions that I've seen (i.e. "geocacher permits", ones with neat graphics, etc.)

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 08:19 AM

We don't collect sig items but always enjoy looking at them in the caches as they show something unique about the cacher who left them. The fact that they went out of their way to say something about themselves, no matter what they use, means something.:)

Cache Maine
06-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Wow, great update! I wish I could get my act together and post pics of the ones I have. :)

firefighterjake
06-09-2006, 08:52 AM

I don't see any of my ladders in the photos! ;)

becket
06-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't see any of my ladders in the photos! ;) well, i saw it - and i checked to see if it had hooks on it :D :D :D

Cache Maine
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM

I saw one two....natural.

Kacky
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I feel the same way -- with a few exceptions -- one being LT's rubber chickens since you can never have too few rubber chickens hanging around. :D Honestly, not to upset anyone, but business card signature items to me are lame . . . once again with a few exceptions that I've seen (i.e. "geocacher permits", ones with neat graphics, etc.) I do like the magnets, especially Pat's (Shewolf)
I haven't gotten an acorn yet but I do have a cardinal. I glued it to the top of my swag jar. :) I'd love to trade!
http://img.geocaching.com/user/display/cdca1c55-c8eb-4cf0-a32f-c364be2dbc60.jpg
(http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=1327)

firefighterjake
06-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Oops . . . clicked on the link without refreshing. Mea culpa brdad. :rolleyes: