View Full Version : Besies tale

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 09:13 AM
INEVER TRIED TO GET ANY CACH ARCIVED I WENT TO BESSIES TALE THEN CAME HOME TO CHECK IT ONE TO MAKE SURE THAT I HAD THE RIGHT COORD AND I DID SO I WENT BACK THREW CORN IN JUST LIKE THE THIG SAID AND THE FARMER CAM OUT GAVE ME **** AND CALLED THE COPS i EMAILED THE OWNER OF THE CACHE AND ASKED IF I WAS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AND HE REFUSED TO EMAIL BACK I DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS PROB IS HE IS THE ONLY ONE I EMAILED AND HE REFUSED TO EMAIL BACK, MAYBE HES A LOW LIFE FROM WHJAT I SEE AND LIKE TO START ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and IL WILL BE CONTECTING GPSFUN TO GET THIS STRIGHTEN OUT

Haffy
06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Well for one thing you have this whole situation totally wrong. This cache was placed with having some fun with it. You apparently didn't get the hint or the correct coordinates to the cache because it isn't near the farmers field. These cows in question are certified organic by MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association) and feeding them anything but organic substances would jeopardize this expensive certification. If I were the farmer I would have done the same thing.

In the hint is says Krebs,well that is the name of the roadsign on the island at the interesction where the cache in question is located along with the other road name at the intersection. I guess I can speak now about it as apparently you have ruined it for others to have some fun as well. It was a micro on the backside of the roadsign and inside it didn't have any logbook but stated that you had to make up a story about Bessie. Laughing Terry is always noted for his distinct and humorus nature for hiding caches and this was one of his best I thought.

Sometimes you have to take Terry's humor with a grain of salt and go with the flow. You really didn't think the cache container was attached to the ear of cow now did you? I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with this but your bashing Terry in this thread was totally uncalled for as well and next time I think you should be more considerate and try to email him more than once or twice. He is on the road with the carnival and is only able to get back home on a few occasions during the summer months when he can. Maybe if you were a lttle more civilized in your conversation with him previously he would have contacted someone and they could have removed the cache before it caused all this havoc. We certainly didn't need anymore bad publicity regarding geocaching and this just added a little more salt to the wound so to speak.

I have emailed GPS fun about the situation as he emailed me as to my opinion about it and hopefully this will get resolved without any more damage being done. If it were me as the farmer I would have probably done the same thing and asked that it be removed. They have a lot of money invested in the certification of these animals and can't afford to lose that. Anyway this is just my opinion and am sorry if it has caused any bad feelings but just remember the next time you come across one of Laughing Terry's caches, things sometimes just aren't as they seem.

Happy Caching Haffy

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
.... but just remember the next time you come across one of Laughing Terry's caches, things sometimes just aren't as they seem.

Happy Caching Haffy

Edited quote....but too bad this had to happen. It was a fun cache but unfortunately the "cow is out of the pasture." :(

Haffy
06-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah I too am sorry this had to happen.

tlarson
06-09-2006, 10:19 AM
If there is no log book is it really a cache?

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
If there is no log book is it really a cache?

There are no log books for virtuals either. You just have to meet the owner's guidelines for logging.

attroll
06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
This is the whole reason why I do not like to do puzzle caches or caches that could be confusing or taken wrong. I don't want to end up someplace where I am not suppose to be. Some of us are not the smartest at solving puzzle caches. That is why I like caches that are not so hard. Heck I have a hard time with micros. I am not blaming anyone here. There are always to sides of the story. I like to stick to the traditional caches. There is less confusion with these. Not that they can not be hard or confusing either, but when you put a twist on it like adding a puzzle then it has a tendency to go array whether it is good or bad.

This is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

As for the yelling in this thread. I don't think we need to start yelling at each other over this. This is a game, a hobby for crying out loud. Sometimes people do not get there emails becuase they don't get on their computer all the time or are on vacation or might even have deleted it thinking it was junk mail. These things happen. Maybe we can tone this down a little.

WhereRWe?
06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
i EMAILED THE OWNER OF THE CACHE AND ASKED IF I WAS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AND HE REFUSED TO EMAIL BACK I DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS PROB IS HE IS THE ONLY ONE I EMAILED AND HE REFUSED TO EMAIL BACK, MAYBE HES A LOW LIFE FROM WHJAT I SEE AND LIKE TO START ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaughingTerry is probably one of the friendliest cachers in the group, and even if you don't like some of his puzzle caches, they definitely show imagination the fact that a lot of work went into them.

Maybe this cache was a little too wierd - I hadn't figured it out yet myself - and you got into a bad situation. :D :D

d’76
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
there was nothing weird about this cache. When you showed up to the waypoint it was very obvious to where the cache was.

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 11:12 AM
its not a puzzle cache at all and the name of the farm is krebs

and this was all that i posted I fouund the cows but no cache

attroll
06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
The cache is now disabled on GC.

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
yup it is and i have been acussed of making up names to get it arcived witch is bull ****
but thats fine . If terry thinks like that iam sure he has made up names to get others arcived , how else would he have come up with that idea? he even acussed my friend and she has never been to a cache or has ever posted anything on here ....I guess he just don't like dnf's on his caches maybe thats y who knows
thats the first one of his i ever done and it will be the last one....

Hiram357
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
i dont want to get into the argument or anything, I was just wondering if there was actually a physical cache?

Hiram357
06-09-2006, 12:04 PM
yup it is and i have been acussed of making up nakes to get it arcived witch is bull ****
but thats fine . If terry thinks like that iam sure he has made up names to get others arcived , how else would he have come up with that idea? he even acussed my friend and she has never been to a cache or has ever posted anything on here ....I guess he just don't like dnf's on his caches maybe thats y who knows
thats the first one of his i ever done and it will be the last one....

well, sorry you feel that way, i like terry's caches (and i know for a fact he loves seeing people post DNFs) I think maybe a little re-evaluation of the situation (and everyones accusations) is in order... c'mon... creating false names to archive caches?? this is geocaching, not enron.

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 12:05 PM
i dont want to get into the argument or anything, I was just wondering if there was actually a physical cache?

Yes...there was a physical cache. The coordinates led AWAY from the pasture and the cache was located at least 100ft from any private land, well within the public right-of-way.

Sudonim
06-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I had assumed that the farmer had generated a geocaching name in order to contact GPSfun through the website, and that's why the dairylover name came about.

vicbiker
06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I've done quite a few of Terry's caches some puzzles,some micros,some in plain site and they all have his wonderful(maybe somewhat off the wall)personality in them.I love the challenge of them,but can understand those who don't.Terry's deathwish was one of my first caches,it will always be one of my favorites,and I knew then that I was going to enjoy more of his.I logged a dnf the first time I was there,then I emailed Terry to, tell him I had really enjoyed myself and wasn't giving up.He was in Mass at the time,but I had a return email the very next morning.People like Laughing Terry and Hoamdezinahs among others ,who are good at these caches are what keeps me coming back. These are just my personal thoughts and ramblings. Vic

firefighterjake
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Just chiming in here . . .

I haven't done this cache . . . and it looks like I won't be able to do this cache . . . but knowing LT and his sense of humor I kind of figured that even he wouldn't put a cache to a cow . . . besides those fields can sometimes be pretty big and getting a cow to stand still in one spot consistently for a GPS reading can be rather tough.

However, that said, I have to admit I did find myself questioning whether or not he actually had done so since the story mentioned bringing corn and other finders spun elaborate stories about the bulls, handing out corn, etc. which made me wonder.

I should mention that I too have a cache with a description that can be misleading . . . but the worse that can happen is that a person would be convinced they must be in the wrong place or my coords were off . . . unless they read between the proverbial lines and see my subtle attempt at Yankee humor.

I guess we should all just chaulk this up to a learning experience on many levels . . . including trusting GPS readings, being wary about how we find, write up and hide caches, being respectful to all geocachers without trying to made judgments (both ways), etc.

Let's move on . . . live and let live.

Haffy
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok I'll try to set things straight here. This is an email that I got from GPSfun this morning.

Good morning, haffy.

I need some help. The Bessies Tale cache has
been archived because of a complaint that the cows
on the farm are being fed things that will
compromise their "organic" nature.

I am told by someone else that the complaint is
bogus and that there are no cows anywhere near
the cache.

So, I need some words from a trusted source
(that's you) who has been to the cache and who can let
me know if there are nearby cows or not.

Thanks!

-Brad

And this is my response to him after reading his email.

Well I can assure you that the cache itself is on a so-called island at the intersection of these four roads. I cannot attest to the cows being there as the day I claimed the cache there were no cows in the area but that doesn't mean there aren't any near. I suppose there could have been a clear misunderstanding as to the location of the cache because of the wording of the cache page but the coordinates wouldn't take you anywhere near the farmers fields. I say anywhere near but there are clearly defined fences across the roads from the cache location to assure the animals do not escape.

Being a member of MOFGA myself, Maine organic farmers and gardeners association, I can understand the concern that the farmers would have as to people walking across the road and being tempted to feed the animals as the cache page does indeed mention that and the stories that have been told,mine as well, have mentioned feeding the animals.

Maybe a note to Terry where he might be warned about the animals being fed and maybe his next visit up here he might be advised to make the farmers aware of the situation and that people would not feed them. If it were me, I would probably just archive the cache and maybe place the cache in a different location because it certainly is a different take on a cache and it was quite fun. I think some really gullible people took the cache page too seriously and indeed thought the cache was placed as it said on the cache page....lol. In any case these are just my thoughts and Terry should in my opinion take it upon himself to apologize to the farmers and explain the situation to them. I'm sure there was no intent on the part of the cachers to contaminate the feed of the cows but MOFGA has strict rules to adhere by and feeding them anything but organic foods would indeed take away their accreditation with MOFGA. Hope that clears up everything and if there is a anything else I can help you with please feel free to le me know. Haffy John Hafenecker

d’76
06-09-2006, 03:35 PM
It doesnt matter now. The fun of the cache is destroyed and we all know what the cache is about. Funs over, Jake is Right. Lets move on.:(

d’76
06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
P.S. Wouldnt the cache be a lost now anyway since we all know the story.

Haffy
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
What I would like to know is how anyone else would have handled the situation were it GPSfun that emailed you? I was trying to do the right thing but maybe it made things worse and that was not my intent. And yes the fun of the cache is now over but I would hate to think it was because of me. He wanted an answer and I gave it to him as honestly as I could. So now do I have egg on my face?

brdad
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I think the percentage of cachers who read this thread in this forum are small enough that the fun isn't really ruined. At least no more so than it would be after 30 or more cachers found it and talked about it at an event or elsewhere. I have seen this type of cache posted elsewhere and it is a neat idea and gave some cache diversity to the area, which I think we could use more of.

d’76
06-09-2006, 04:03 PM
What I would like to know is how anyone else would have handled the situation were it GPSfun that emailed you? I was trying to do the right thing but maybe it made things worse and that was not my intent. And yes the fun of the cache is now over but I would hate to think it was because of me. He wanted an answer and I gave it to him as honestly as I could. So now do I have egg on my face?

If Rick deleted the thread and It would be resolved and many others still would have a chance to enjoy it ,if it where to get resolved.

Haffy,

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!! Honesty is always first. You know better than that, you should never doubt honesty. Brad emailed you. That in itself should let you know that you did the right thing. Yes the cache may be a bit of a loss for right now. Brad also knows that now he can trust the rest of us that sent him emails and the stories all were the same. We may be caching fools but Honesty and Integratety are always first. I would be pissed if I was the farmer, but that could be anyone feeding the cows.

I am glad that Brad emailed you and you let him know the truth. That shows that we have respect here for each other. I think that if anyone was to think differently people would question what kind of person that they are.

You might have ketchup or something on your face but certainly not egg.:D :p

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
My guess is that Spunky is another sockpuppet account just like Milklover75 that he used to get my Bessies Tale cache archived.

I guess he thinks iam out to get his caches
but since this it the only one i did of his and he had the nerve to slam my friend with was new here and accuse me of making her name up to arcive his cache is why this tread was started then huffy jumped in with out knowing what it was about and telling how iam the bad apple ruining geocacheing . well to let you all know the friend that terry insist that i made up is a reporter doing another story on geocacheing and she is going to post a story , the dangers of geocacheing since her first experiance with it was very bad.

d’76
06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
My guess is that Spunky is another sockpuppet account just like Milklover75 that he used to get my Bessies Tale cache archived.

I guess he thinks iam out to get his caches
but since this it the only one i did of his and he had the nerve to slam my friend with was new here and accuse me of making her name up to arcive his cache is why this tread was started then huffy jumped in with out knowing what it was about and telling how iam the bad apple ruining geocacheing . well to let you all know the friend that terry insist that i made up is a reporter doing another story on geocacheing and she is going to post a story , the dangers of geocacheing since her first experiance with it was very bad.

Man, I dont think that you want to go down this road here. If she is going to type a whole story based on one Geocaching experiance with very limited experiance than she could never represent geocaching to the fullest anyway.:mad:

Can you let us know how many caches she has done. I couldnt find the account on GC.com. And I would be intersted in knowing who she was interveiwing to get the details of the game.

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
she was never given a chance read all the post in meet my friend

firefighterjake
06-09-2006, 04:47 PM
. . . well to let you all know the friend that terry insist that i made up is a reporter doing another story on geocacheing and she is going to post a story , the dangers of geocacheing since her first experiance with it was very bad.

There are some "dangers" in geocaching (i.e. steep drop offs, hiding in inappropriate areas, hiding without permission, causing damage to land while seeking, etc.) and I for one would think that this would be a perfectly good angle to pursue for a story . . . but I might also suggest that Spunky seek out at least one veteran geocacher as I did when I wrote my geocaching article in the Village Soup over a year ago.

While I spoke with a geocacher with a handful of caches under his proverbial belt I also made sure I touched base with someone who had been geocaching for a long time (Noreasta) as he has seen a lot more and done a lot more than the other geocacher I spoke with even though both were excellent interviews . . . the way I looked at it, if I was doing a story on firefighting for example I may interview a rookie for his or her perspective on the fire service, dangers, rewards, etc., but their answers and perspective might be quite different (or perhaps very similar) to the answers given by a veteran firefighter . . . you can take the same analogy to diving, geocaching or any other field.

If Spunky has any questions about geocaching and geocachers I am sure she could find many geocachers with lots of experience . . . and geocachers who have been doing this for only a few months (and I include myself here by the way) . . . either here or through the GC.com BBS. As a fellow stringer-journalist I would be more than happy to point her in the direction of some geocachers that I have met first hand whom I think would be excellent resources if she is looking for some geocachers to interview.

Hiram357
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM

I think it was well put and I agree with you. (that's all I'm saying cuz I don't want to get shot at for this one) :D

Mainiac1957
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry to see this one gone. I would liked to have been able to have read more "Tales":confused:

d’76
06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry to see this one gone. I would liked to have been able to have read more "Tales":confused:

This is like losing a best friend. I will mourn over this for a long time. LT, You have my condolences on your loss:p

Your right this was a cool cache. Never even gave this a thought
I am still watching this cache in hopes that something will change

Hiram357
06-09-2006, 05:26 PM
:( I want it to come back cuz I didn't get to do it... *sigh* and i'm dissappointed i was gone when the cache was published too, there's always a good battle for one of his FTFs and the famous suitable for framing FTF certificates! :D (and just for the record I have one of them...)

but on the other hand... couldn't the cache just be put somewhere else?

(would could uhhh... do away with all the people that already know about the cache, I'll start making a list, and I'll put myself at the end so I can make sure everyone is dealt with accordingly)

Cache Maine
06-09-2006, 05:49 PM
:( I want it to come back cuz I didn't get to do it... *sigh*

I'm with you on this one....plus, can't you just see me out there in the field chasing down that MOO-ving cache? ha ha ha :D :p :)

Beach Comber
06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Me too!! This is a great idea - what a creative cache.

Kacky
06-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Man, I dont think that you want to go down this road here. If she is going to type a whole story based on one Geocaching experiance with very limited experiance than she could never represent geocaching to the fullest anyway.:mad:

Can you let us know how many caches she has done. I couldnt find the account on GC.com. And I would be intersted in knowing who she was interveiwing to get the details of the game.
Hear, hear. As a news reporter and broadcaster since 1979, I consider this VERY irresponsible. She's either very new and about to be reprimanded for writing an un-informed article, or not yet employed. This stuff is journalism 101.

DiverDave1998
06-09-2006, 07:26 PM
how is it uniformed with all tyhe post pretty easy to see geocaches need to take guns . geocacheing on posted land
all one has to do is read all the threads its easy to see how unsafe it is
along with the pics of geocahes carrying guns

parmachenee
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
how is it uniformed with all tyhe post pretty easy to see geocaches need to take guns . geocacheing on posted land
all one has to do is read all the threads its easy to see how unsafe it is
along with the pics of geocahes carrying guns

WOW!! Obviously you STILL don't get it??:confused: Let's bury this one. Pun intended. :D

Haffy
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Iv'e tried to talk with DiverDave for over an hour this afternoon off thread through IM and he still doesn't get it. Hey I tried my best, what else is a guy to do?