View Full Version : New Coin Discussion

Haffy
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok some of us talked about starting a discussion on a new coin for 2006 at the event so let's get the discussion going on this so we can have the coin before December of this year.....:D We only need to discuss what is going to be on the back of the coin for a design and maybe also having it trackable on GC.com which I think will be a cost of approximately $1.50 per coin. I still think we can get a great looking coin for $5.00 or less. So let's hear your ideas and keep this on topic.

Kacky
06-19-2006, 05:33 PM
How about a moose using the slip n slide. :D

Sudonim
06-19-2006, 05:37 PM
There have been a couple of suggestions to make the coin a distinct "shape". Most of the people I've talked to want to stick to round like last year with the same front. I've heard several suggestions for the back, quite a few of Katahdin, a lobster, loon, etc. What are others thinking?
I'm in favor of tracking too. It would mean a price increase of around $1.50 so I don't think we'd sell quite as many as '05 (over 2150 coins!!!) but some other people that didn't buy one last year may jump in too.

brdad
06-19-2006, 06:20 PM
How about a guard rail? :D

Sudonim
06-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Think Hiram will mind?:p

Hiram357
06-19-2006, 06:43 PM

are you trying to say that we should use the pic of me??? :p

Billy Twigger
06-19-2006, 06:46 PM
As an outsider, (well outside some say!) I can't think of Maine without conjuring up an image of a lighthouse.
Although the Portland Head Lighthouse is the subject of the 2005 coin (of which I'm the proud owner of coin 0320!) I reckon a lighthouse would sell.
I know a lot of coin collectors who are almost collecting the icon, so there is no doubt that a good strong lighthouse icon and coin design would be a winner.
(Can I order two now?)

tat
06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I would prefer representing another area other than the coast. Mt. K, a moose, pine tree, mast tree or a lake scene. Nothing against the coast (I live on it!), but it's only fair to show the other great places too.

I liked the Kentucky coin I saw this weekend, the state is cut into a ring. It's still a round coin but has the cut-out shape of Maine.

I'm willing to pay my share to make it a loggable icon.

kayakerinme
06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Thoughts for 2006:

Yes, trackable.

Like Tat, I'd also look for something away from the coast... and something other than Mt Katahdin since that is featured on both my coin and Attroll's. I liked the cutouts on the KY coin but there have been several coins now with that so I'm less inclined to want to do that. Round is fine by me.

In other areas (Miss., Utah, GA come to mind), the state residents were the only ones allowed to purchase one of the metals. I'd be in favor of doing this as well, especially as that will raise the total number of coins.

I personally prefer antique finishes as they show the detail more than polished ones.

I'd be willing to help in the distribution phase this time around.

Kacky
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
are you trying to say that we should use the pic of me??? :p

....if the antler fits...:p

Smitty & Co.
06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
How about a lumberjack standing beside his skiddah? :D

hollora
06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Newbie here - is there a slogan we have out there? Like the old - Maine - the way Caching should be or something of the like?

I am a bird fan so I think our State bird the Chickadee and Pine Cone and tassel (I think that is a state something) would be nice. A couple of other thoughts - the Rising sun in the Eastly portion of the US was on for the US quarter and a nice theme - also the return of the Eagle over our state is exciting and worth commorating.

Trackable on GC.com would be nice too and worth the extra. Count me in on ordering some (missed the others).

If help is needed - please ask - PM me.

Hiker Twins
06-19-2006, 09:23 PM
How about an Aroostook County Potatoe Field on the back? I am sure
J_Cyr, another County Hick would 2nd that :)

Beach Comber
06-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I have been completely interested in having something non coastal as the theme. There are so many aspects of Maine we could change the theme each year for a very long time. Having said that, I will also admit that I think the idea of the sun rising over the state is a great idea. It is the most eastern point in the US and sees the sunrise first - it is just coincidence that the point that it happens is on the coast.

In the end though, I have no strong preference about what is on the coin or whether it is trackable or not.

Mainiac1957
06-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I have long thought that Katahdin would work well on the reverse. A moose standing in a pond would do well also. I would gladly pay the extra to make them trackable too. I am easy though, and will most likely be happy with whatever the majority wants. The Kentucky coin was a very cool idea. that would be a good look for us as well. And I do agree that the dark finished coins do seem to be more detailed.

attroll
06-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Yes we should make it trackable. It is only $1.50 more per coin to make it trackable on GC.

Yes we should have an icon with the coin. It is only a flat rate of $150 to get an icon, You have to have at least 500 coins though and I do not think we will have a problem selling 500 coins.

We should change the finish to an antique finish also because it brings out the image better.

The prices have gone up on coins through the company that we used last time so the coins will also be a little more.

I think if we do all of these things that we will sell the same amount of coins or maybe close.

But here is some ideas to think about. It seems like people think we should design a new coin every year. I personally do not think we need to have a new coin every year. I think if we have a new coin every year that it well eventually turn people off to buying our Maine coins. This is what I would like to see done.

Add an additional $2 to each coin. This would bring the coin to about $7 each with the new coin tracking option and an icon through GC. We could use the extra $2 and put it towards ordering extra coins so that we can have coins on hand to sell. This way we would not have to order more then once.

A lot of people have bought this coins and from us last time for $3 each and sold them on eBay for $9 and more. So why not add $2 to the price and put it back into have coins on hand.

LaughingTerry
06-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Let's see, trackable on GC.com, unique icon, yea, I want a bunch for FTF prizes and gifts. Put me down for 10.

I Like it!!!!!

Rpapaman
06-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Ah, Yes, Another State Geocoin! I have always favored the State Flag of Maine, and, would like to throw in my 2 cents worth here: a colored reproduction of Maine's State Flag would be nice. Rpapaman

Kacky
06-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Please put me down for 5!

Haffy
06-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Ah, Yes, Another State Geocoin! I have always favored the State Flag of Maine, and, would like to throw in my 2 cents worth here: a colored reproduction of Maine's State Flag would be nice. Rpapaman

We tried that last year Ron and the state gave us a hard time about it so we dismissed that thought,unless someone can say we can do it.

pjpreb
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Trackable is great. I'm a little partial to loons as I am friends with several. :D

LaughingTerry
06-20-2006, 06:57 PM
We tried that last year Ron and the state gave us a hard time about it so we dismissed that thought,unless someone can say we can do it.

I would think that as taxpayers we can do pretty much what we want with the flag. C'mon we can burn the US flag if we want so why not use the state flag on a coin? That's getting pretty petty when the state government is worried about some group putting a state flag on a coin when I see the state flag on souvenirs all the time.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised though.

Team2hunt
06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Tracking on Gc.com? YES the extra 1.50 will not matter to most, and could possibly interest others to make a purchase. Unique icon, YES. Lighthouse or outline of Maine would be my 2 cents worth. Mountains, moose, loon, all by a pond. There are many things that represent Maine caching. I would agree with any of them. Antique finish, YES even if it costs more. Thanks for asking?

tat
06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
The following is from the law that describes The Maine State Seal:

"A Shield, argent, charged with a Pine Tree, a Moose-Deer, at the foot of it, recumbent. Supporters; on dexter side, an Husbandman, resting on a scythe; on sinister side, a Seaman, resting on an anchor. In the foreground, representing sea & land, & under the Shield, the name of the State, in large Roman capitals, to wit MAINE. The whole surmounted by a Crest, the North Star. The Motto, in small Roman capitals, in a label interposed between the Shield & Crest, viz. DIRIGO."

The moose symbolizes the unsettled lands of Maine as well as the spirit of independence and liberty.

The pine tree was described by Reed as "the staple of the commerce of Maine [and] the pride of her forests."

The crest, a single star, represents Maine as a state, alluding to the stars in the crest of the U.S. coat of arms a representing the collection of states. The motto, "Dirigo," which translates as "I direct" or "I guide" refers to the role of the North Star as the mariner's guide, implying a similar role for the state within the Union.

The supporters symbolize agriculture (dexter) and commerce and fisheries (sinister).

Perhaps we could make our own Caching Seal. Could we come up with Maine Geocaching symbols that represent these ideas?

A single star - 12 satellites
Dirigo - GPS
Moose -
Pine Tree -
Supporters -

firefighterjake
06-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Perhaps we could make our own Caching Seal. Could we come up with Maine Geocaching symbols that represent these ideas?

Dirigo - GPS
Moose -
Pine Tree -
Supporters -

Moose = Represents Hiram on the Slip and Slide :D ;)

firefighterjake
06-21-2006, 08:07 AM

Dirigo - GPS
Moose -
Pine Tree -
Supporters -

Pine Tree -- How about we change it to a stump of a pine tree to represent the cache clues that refer to "not being stumped"?:D

Alternatively a pine tree -- represents the many trees in the forest that FFJake must wander around aimlessly as he searches in vain for the cache with his Magellan :D

Kacky
06-21-2006, 08:10 AM
I like either a moose doing something silly, or the pine cone & tassel idea.

firefighterjake
06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Where's Sudonim on this discussion . . . he's our resident "Coin Guy" -- I know he loves geo-coins since he's always trying to show me the latest coin he has found or passed along. I'd love to hear what he has to say.

My take on things (for what it's worth and it's not worth much) . . . anything is good. You folks came up with a great coin last year and I am sure unless you opted to come out with a non-trackable, plastic coin with a picture of my face on the coin anything you come up with will be a hit.

I wouldn't mind seeing a coin that would reflect another aspect to Maine besides the coast . . . and while I love lighthouses (I have a "thing" for them) I think it would be nice to see a different type of coin. I kind of liked the idea of the moose, loon, chickadee, pine tree or Mt. Katahdin (maybe we should combine all of them together with a coin showing a chickadee on the back of a loon which is on the back of a moose climbing a pine tree on top of Mt. Katahdin :D ). The flag idea is also a good idea.

I wouldn't mind seeing the coin photo depicting a cache site of significance (i.e. the Portland Light was great as it captured one aspect of Maine, was picturesque and it had a special meaning to Maine cachers as the site of the first Maine cache.) Surely there must be some other cache sites of significance?

FuddsGirls
06-21-2006, 09:07 AM
I didn't get last year's coin so I definately will this year, what ever it may be. I would like to give my 2 cents though. How about a Moose with pinecone and tassels hanging off its antlers, chasing a turkey in front of a mountain.:D

tat
06-23-2006, 06:16 AM
How about the new Bucksport bridge ?

EGSG
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
How about Old 470?

brdad
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
How about Old 470?

With a pic of Beach Comber with "DNF" tatooed on her forehead? :p

Maybe someone should start a "Maine is..." thread to get everyone's isea of what maine is. We can't forget the lumbering industry, blueberries, potatoes, etc...

http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=Maine&type=2

Sudonim
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
With a pic of Beach Comber with "DNF" tatooed on her forhead? :p

I like it!

Beach Comber
06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey I heard that - LOL - For that matter you could put me beside one of my own caches and put a DNF on my forehead :eek: