View Full Version : A Funny Thing Happen On The Way To Picket Mt

vicbiker
06-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Back down in the Limerick area again this weekend,I decided to do Picket Mt.II by Cache'n Jacksons.This Mountian holds lots of memories for me,as a young man I pumped gas at the Gulf Station in Limerick.Earland Gerry the man who own the station would take me hunting on Picket Mt.Later we snowmobiled there,he also own the Moto Ski dealer ship. Those were great times.

I parked the car in the desinated spot,grabbed the camera and gpsr,lock the car and headed for the Mt.Not having a lot of daylight left I hurried to the top to get a view while the sun was still up.The mountain is as beautiful as I remember it and a flock of cedar waxwings were eating blueberries when I got there.Doesn't get any better then that.

After taking in the view for a few minutes i decide to get back to the car before it gets dark.Half jogging down the mountain,I start to recall something that had happen to me earlier in the day.After gassing up the car in Corrinna and getting a coffee for the trip down,I put the change in my pocket.As I walked out the door it fell on the ground,I then realized there was a hole in my pocket.So I then transfered everything else into the other pocket.I'm sure that you now can guess what I'm about to say.Thats right when I locked the car I automatically put the keys in the pocket with the hole in it.Now half way down the mountain I reach into my pocket and no keys.

I know if they fell out on the first 4 tenths of a mile ,before I left the trail I might have a chance of finding them,Otherwise I will have to walk to a house and call my significate other with the great news.I know she'll be please seeing as how all the party supplies for her sons birthday party are in the trunk and the extra keys are in Abbot.

Some times you just live right or someone watches over you
,for me it must be the latter.The keys were a hundred yards from the car laying in plain sight with the little orange Shaws tag gleaming in all its glory.

FFJ was telling of all his most memorable caches the other day.I'm sure this will always be one of mind.just thought I would share it with you' Vic

Cache'n Jacksons
06-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Wow!! I'm real glad you found your keys, that's a relatively desolate area to be stuck in! :) You might want to get that pocket sewn up! Happy caching!

number seven
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
I have your leatherman . I wonder what else you lost on your way. Number Seven

we3beans
06-26-2006, 09:56 AM
sounds like it's time for one of those magnetic hidey key things on the vehicle! I did that and it has saved me more than once.

Cache Maine
06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
hidey key things

Reminds me of your directions...not left or right...take the forky! :p

we3beans
06-26-2006, 01:48 PM
at least you knew what I ment!

vicbiker
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
You are absolutely right,where did you get yours?Been scared I would lock them in the car.

tat
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I locked my keys in the car at Aziscohos cache. This is not a good place to hitch hike!! I noticed my mistake after about 6 steps. Less than 1 minute later, a car came by. It was probably the only other car that day. I can't believe how lucky I was.

vicbiker
06-27-2006, 06:14 AM
I locked my keys in the car at Aziscohos cache. This is not a good place to hitch hike!! I noticed my mistake after about 6 steps. Less than 1 minute later, a car came by. It was probably the only other car that day. I can't believe how lucky I was.My mother was always calling me because she had locked her keys in the car,am I becoming my mother??? Could it be age!!!

we3beans
06-27-2006, 10:28 AM
both my mother and a good friend have locked their keys in the car with the car running!!!! I'm not even going to go there....
you can get the magnetic things at wally world and vip...places like that...btw they are usually NOT waterproof.

parmachenee
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
My mother was always calling me because she had locked her keys in the car,am I becoming my mother??? Could it be age!!!

I locked my keys in my car at stage 3 of Stacked on Stillwater but I'm using the excuse that I didn't have my truck which has keyless entry...it COULDN'T be old age??:D

Mainiac1957
06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Could it have possibly been the excitement of knowing you were finally going to put Stacked in your rear view mirror?;)

Beach Comber
06-28-2006, 12:04 PM
both my mother and a good friend have locked their keys in the car with the car running!!!! I'm not even going to go there....
you can get the magnetic things at wally world and vip...places like that...btw they are usually NOT waterproof.

Sadly enough - I have done that too!! I took the keyless entry thing with me so that I could unlock the car when I got back to it - alas - it decided not to work at that moment. I also had a keyholder under my bumper - alas - it had fallen off along the way somewhere. And it was raining when this all happened - alas - I was soaked and muddy from searching for the key holder under my bumper! Pooey!

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Could it have possibly been the excitement of knowing you were finally going to put Stacked in your rear view mirror?;)

Except I couldn't get to my rear view mirror!!:D

ajwoodman
07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Vic, Another thought! Put an extra key between your license plate and bumper. That way it is nice and tight and won't fall out. Then if you need it just loosen the bolt and wah lah, extra key!! Those hide a way magnetic key holders end up getting lost especially if you are going down rough roads, paths, etc. Just a suggestion!!!
Joyce

Mainiac1957
07-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I have in the past used a ty-wrap to place a spare key under the car somewhere I can remember. I always have a pocket knife with me to cut it off with, or you can just twist it. Now I have a spare key in my wallet thanks to Saturn. They sent it when I bought my Vue 2 years ago. It's a thin door only key just for a lock out situation.

vicbiker
07-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys and girls for all the wonderful info.Growing up in Limerick and then living here in Abbot for the last Twenty years.I have found very little occassion to lock the car.So when I'm back in the real world it seems strange to lock it.When I do it always seems like I forgot the keys in the car or lost them.I feel myself reaching for my pocket all the time to see if they are still there.

Lock up the car in Wolfeboro this weekend and walked down the rails to trails.There are six caches in walking distance.When I got back I discovered I had only locked the drivers door.The rest were all unlocked.My new digital camera and everything else were sitting on the front seat.All were find.Honest people in N.H. or just plain lucky??

Beach Comber
07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Holy smokes - you are on a run for sure - LOL. These things sound like something that I would do!!

RanMan22
07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
sounds like it's time for one of those magnetic hidey key things on the vehicle! I did that and it has saved me more than once.

Sounds like a key piece of advice to me. ;-)

-RanMan22