View Full Version : Garmin 60CSx vs. 76CSx?

Sudonim
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out the difference between these two models.
The 76CSx is slightly heavier and larger, but floats. There is a retail $50 difference, but if you check out Garmin's comparison chart, the only difference is the memory on the microSD card.
So for $50 I get a floating GPSr with more memory? Or are there other differences?

d’76
06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
The 76CSx is slightly heavier and larger, but floats. There is a retail $50 difference, but if you check out Garmin's comparison chart, the only difference is the memory on the microSD card.
So for $50 I get a floating GPSr with more memory? Or are there other differences?

If it helps the 60 series sinks slowly. I have used them both and perfer the shape and size of the 60 series:D

kayakerinme
06-26-2006, 01:27 PM

I chose the 76CSx because it is more geared to marine use. I can take it on the kayak and not worry about it. The fact that the 76 series floats helped Tat out a couple of times this weekend. I also like the button placement above the screen (where the 60 has them below). I had a chance to use a 60 for a bit but still prefer the 76.

Haffy
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I think the other differerence is the patch antenna on the 76 series versus the quad helix on the 60 series.Not sure what if any difference that makes in acquiring satelite locks or not.I tend to think with the new Siirf chip it doesn't make any difference but am wondering how others feel about the antennas.

tat
06-26-2006, 05:54 PM
This isn't the first time the floating option paid for itself. I was trying to find Rumford Falls and it fell into the Androscoggin. I liked Kayakerinme's idea of teathering! But, if you have too many ropes on a kayak, you should always have a knife handy, just in case.

Quoddy
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
The "memory" advantage really isn't an advantage. Once a really usable micro sd/flash card is added they become the same. The 76 has a slightly better base map, but once again, when you use a large capacity card why would you have reason to use the base map? I use a 1GB card in my 60CSx. The preference between the two is a really personal thing. I have friends who love their 76CSx's and others, like myself, who prefer the 60CSx. If I was planning to spend a lot of time on the water my decision might have been differeent.

tat
06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree with Quoddy, the memory is no advantage. Both units have enough memory to load Garmin's Topo USA and Metro Guide for all of New England. If you buy a few SD cards, you could load every map Garmin makes.

The two screens are the same size.

Do you like the buttons on the top or the bottom?

WhereRWe?
06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
The "memory" advantage really isn't an advantage. Once a really usable micro sd/flash card is added they become the same. The 76 has a slightly better base map, but once again, when you use a large capacity card why would you have reason to use the base map? I use a 1GB card in my 60CSx. The preference between the two is a really personal thing. I have friends who love their 76CSx's and others, like myself, who prefer the 60CSx. If I was planning to spend a lot of time on the water my decision might have been differeent.

I don't think a LOT of memory is really necessary. I have 256mb in my 60csx, and I can put several states on the map (Garmin's MapSource) and still have lots of room. And Im nit sure about the difference in antennas, but hte reception on the csx is GREAT! :D :D

parmachenee
06-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm sticking with my 60cs. There will always be something better...that's marketing!!:) I STILL want to be part of the search engine!! and when I haven't found a cache, it's usually NOT the gpsr.:D

d’76
06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm sticking with my 60cs. There will always be something better...that's marketing!!:) I STILL want to be part of the search engine!! and when I haven't found a cache, it's usually NOT the gpsr.:D

You Frank, You are right. I have found almost 400 caches with my gps and you are right. Cant blame the dnf on the gps.

Thanks a bunch Frank. I dont care what Sharon says your ok.:D

Sudonim
06-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I agree with you too Frank, but I think it's time to retire the Etrex Vista. I'm getting tired of it randomly shutting off when I need it, and when I'm standing next to someone else who has 8 sats up and I'm showing 0 or 1 sat, it gets frustrating.

parmachenee
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
You Frank, You are right. I have found almost 400 caches with my gps and you are right. Cant blame the dnf on the gps.

Thanks a bunch Frank. I dont care what Sharon says your ok.:D

...and for saving you all that money, I'll let you buy me a beer at SeaDogs. And to save you even MORE money, I'll let you buy it in MY mug!!:D

firefighterjake
06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree with you too Frank, but I think it's time to retire the Etrex Vista. I'm getting tired of it randomly shutting off when I need it, and when I'm standing next to someone else who has 8 sats up and I'm showing 0 or 1 sat, it gets frustrating.

Yeah even a Magellan seems to get better satellite locks than that Etrex Sudonim. :D ;)

Sudonim
06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah even a Magellan seems to get better satellite locks than that Etrex Sudonim. :D ;)
That's kinda the example I was using too:p

Mainiac1957
06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
...and for saving you all that money, I'll let you buy me a beer at SeaDogs. And to save you even MORE money, I'll let you buy it in MY mug!!:D
When are we going. I'm ready now!!

tflight
06-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Garmin is also currently offering a $100 rebate (http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/pdfs/gpsmap76cx.pdf) on the 76Cx and 76CSx through July 9, 2006.

Quoddy
06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't think a LOT of memory is really necessary. I have 256mb in my 60csx, and I can put several states on the map (Garmin's MapSource) and still have lots of room. And Im nit sure about the difference in antennas, but hte reception on the csx is GREAT! :D :D
I agree that the larger memory cards aren't a necessity, but rather a niceity. I have CitySelect for the eastern half of Canada and the US on the 1Gb card, along with Topo for the eastern US, and Tides for the entire US. In the past two months I've used it in eastern Canada, the US as far south as the Carolinas, and west to the Ohio border (wish I'd been able to cache all those spots). No downloading new areas involved, and am able to add unlimited POI and tracks.

WhereRWe?
06-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Cant blame the dnf on the gps.

Yes you can. I've complained before - and I think Frank has too - about caches that we gave up on because we couldn't get a reading that was within 100 feet of a cache.

This time of year, I especially like accuracy - what with ticks, poison ivy, MOSQUITOES, etc. :D :D :D

Beach Comber
06-28-2006, 11:57 AM

I'm with you Andy!! Not only do the things you mention here occur, but I have to be extra careful when I take the batteries out because a wire inside broke and as long as I baby it, I don't have to send it out for repair. Additionally, the direction arrow on mine is ALWAYS ( a strong word, but it is true!) pointing in the opposite direction from others who I am caching with, AND mine is looking rather beat up from the many tumbles into rocks, sticks, trees, and mud I have taken along the way.

It's summer, visitors to the coast love things made from sea glass (which is great for me!) and I see a new gps in my future!!!

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
AND mine is looking rather beat up from the many tumbles into rocks, sticks, trees, and mud I have taken along the way.

Have you tried using it in its gpsr mode??:D

Beach Comber
06-28-2006, 01:36 PM
How do you do that? :eek: :p :D ;) :rolleyes: Actually, it would be really awesome if it had some sort of sensor and alarm that would tell me when I am about to take these tumbles. I would be a lot less black and blue, but those who cache with me would likely be less entertained!

firefighterjake
06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
. . . Additionally, the direction arrow on mine is ALWAYS ( a strong word, but it is true!) pointing in the opposite direction from others who I am caching with . . .

Are you sure you aren't using a Magellan? ;) :D

firefighterjake
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
How do you do that? :eek: :p :D ;) :rolleyes: Actually, it would be really awesome if it had some sort of sensor and alarm that would tell me when I am about to take these tumbles. I would be a lot less black and blue, but those who cache with me would likely be less entertained!

I have such a sensor and alarm . . . first my body's internal gyroscopic feature realizes a loss of equilibrium followed shortly thereafter by an impending sense of doom or at the very least a falling sensation all of which are followed by a few vocal alarms/expletives as I do a nose dive, trip over my own feet and swear at the rock, stick, my two feet, tree roots, my own genetics, etc. :D

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I have such a sensor and alarm . . . first my body's internal gyroscopic feature realizes a loss of equilibrium followed shortly thereafter by an impending sense of doom or at the very least a falling sensation all of which are followed by a few vocal alarms/expletives as I do a nose dive, trip over my own feet and swear at the rock, stick, my two feet, tree roots, my own genetics, etc. :D

I was a witness to this event...at a recent cache in Orrington!!:D

firefighterjake
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I was a witness to this event...at a recent cache in Orrington!!:D

Hmmm . . . I don't recall falling down there . . . maybe I hit my head, blacked out and suffered a memory lapse from the concussion. :D If nothing else it gave me a good excuse as to why I couldn't find that cache the first time around. ;)

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Hmmm . . . I don't recall falling down there . . . maybe I hit my head, blacked out and suffered a memory lapse from the concussion. :D If nothing else it gave me a good excuse as to why I couldn't find that cache the first time around. ;)

But I have NO excuse for not finding it first time...except I KNEW it was going to rain??:D

C&C+COMPANY
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I've been trying to figure out which one to get also.....still haven't decided.

Beach Comber
06-30-2006, 02:06 PM

LOL - this sounds like the same sensor and alarm that I have - including the expletives! I'm hoping to find something that will give me the warning before that very first step is set into motion - lol

Team2hunt
06-30-2006, 04:16 PM
I chose the 60CSx because I liked the format of the buttons on the bottom. The 76 is geared more towards water navigation, and floats. The 60CSx sinks like a rock, and was 50.00 less. My new 60 gets immediate reception and stays locked on, better than my Vista. I also wanted the auto-routing, which the software, " city navigator " does not come in the box. I found it on the internet for 119.00. L.L.Beans did have Version 7, I ordered V8. The other accessory I got was the AC cord,(39.50) Now the batteries do not take a beating in the truck, and the backlight is always on when plugged in. The good news, EMS is having a 20% off sale thru July 4th. Saved me over 100.00. :D There are quite a few new additions that the 60CSx has that I didn't know about, but I'm happy to have and play with. :)

OusKonNé
06-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Sudonim !

I prefer the 60CSx because of its ergonomic design. On the 60CSx, the buttons are located at the bottom and for the 76CSx, they are located at the top.

I can easily use my 60CSx with only one hand but I can't figure out how I can do that with a 76CSx.

Even with the $100 rebate on the 76CSx, my personal choice is definitively the 60CSx.