View Full Version : Jen's rant about caching....

Geochicks
06-27-2006, 10:29 PM
First, no I am not dead! :D

Maybe it's the hot weather getting to me... and I know I am going to get some flack about this but caching isn't as fun as it used to be. I used to love going out in the woods and hunting them out. It was a secret underground thing... I liked seeing others on the trails.. somehow it became more mainstream and more and more people just weren't very nice about it. I think some people found it hard that I have a 8-5 job and a family and a life outside of caching. No, I don't do caching much anymore (or at all) because I found that when I took a little break from it that the comments came that I was neglicting my caches. So, do I neglict my caches or my family & job?

To me it was an easy choice which got laid to the wayside, but as I thought about doing a few more caches, just to get back into the swing of things.. the comments started up again... more I was told that I needed to take care of the caches, the more I didn't want to do anything with it at all.

I'm sorry if I am hurting anyone's feelings and some might be thinking this is coming from the left field... Like I said... it might be the weather, it might be the lack of sleep.... I guess I am whining. I just don't like comments on my caches saying that I don't take care of my caches. No, I didn't.. I haven't... yeah, they have been neglicated a bit.

Okay, Sorry... I'm off my soapbox....

d’76
06-27-2006, 10:50 PM
First, no I am not dead! :D

Maybe it's the hot weather getting to me... and I know I am going to get some flack about this but caching isn't as fun as it used to be. I used to love going out in the woods and hunting them out. It was a secret underground thing... I liked seeing others on the trails.. somehow it became more mainstream and more and more people just weren't very nice about it. I think some people found it hard that I have a 8-5 job and a family and a life outside of caching. No, I don't do caching much anymore (or at all) because I found that when I took a little break from it that the comments came that I was neglicting my caches. So, do I neglict my caches or my family & job?

To me it was an easy choice which got laid to the wayside, but as I thought about doing a few more caches, just to get back into the swing of things.. the comments started up again... more I was told that I needed to take care of the caches, the more I didn't want to do anything with it at all.

I'm sorry if I am hurting anyone's feelings and some might be thinking this is coming from the left field... Like I said... it might be the weather, it might be the lack of sleep.... I guess I am whining. I just don't like comments on my caches saying that I don't take care of my caches. No, I didn't.. I haven't... yeah, they have been neglicated a bit.

Okay, Sorry... I'm off my soapbox....

Not hurting anyones feelings. These things come from somewhere. If I where you and read the post that I think this stemed from I would be upset also. I read the post that I think this came from. Take into consideration the source. Nine caches doesnt make them an expert. Ok so you have been out of the game awhile. If you still want to play, very cool the more the marrier. If you cant(because of family commitments the job what ever) have them archived. Nobody will hate you for it. The next step is to fix it. As long as it is marked disabled it shouldnt be a big deal. The first note should have been needs maintence and not awseful cache waste of my time. I think that this cacher needs a quick crash cource in cacher etique.

Keep doing your best Jen that is all any one ask. And if for some reason it becomes geo litter, just go get it and start over. If I where in your shoes I would be mad to. I have been in the other guys shoes and been alittle upset to find a cache not maintained but the first step is to nicely make mention that the cache is in bad shape and in need of attention. Thats all.

Good luck with this.

Dave:)

Kaching Karen
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
It's okay. I read one of the entries made today in Moosetracks. I don't blame you for letting off a little steam. :eek: I live right in town. If you want me to check on your caches, just give me a holler!

LaughingTerry
06-27-2006, 11:27 PM
31 feet off???? What a tragedy. LOL Most of the time all I can get is within 30 feet or so. I went back and checked my log. I went in cold, no printout, no description, just the coordinates and found it easily. So what is it got damp. Most caches do once in a while. Don't let them get you down. It isn't that big of a deal.

brdad
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey Jen, don't let one log get you down. If you check all of their logs, that is their style of writing it seems. So you are not being singled out.

So sit back and just prepare for the 3nd Annual BBQ cache event. It must be done you know, it's like ... geocaching history! Did you ever hear the story about how I was FTF on a cache at the 1st one when I had no waypoints or description? :D

attroll
06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Jen

I would not let this log get you down either. I would not even have made it temporarily unavailable if you going out to fix it this weekend. If a person can get within 31 feet of a cache then I would consider that pretty darn good.

Mainiac1957
06-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey Jen, don't let one log get you down. If you check all of their logs, that is their style of writing it seems. So you are not being singled out.

So sit back and just prepare for the 3nd Annual BBQ cache event. It must be done you know, it's like ... geocaching history! Did you ever hear the story about how I was FTF on a cache at the 1st one when I had no waypoints or description? :D
Dave that would be the 4th BBQ;)

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Jen...I haven't seen the log but I have seen many that I think are like it. I saw one log where they complained that the coords were 10ft off!!:confused: And family comes first and foremost. We have taken months off from caching to tend to other matters that were much more important. And your cache event?? Well...that's important!!:) We could hear an announcement about an important non-caching event at that picnic which is an anniversary of sorts for a certain couple?:D

brdad
06-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Oh god, has it been THAT long?

firefighterjake
06-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Well Jen I don't know you at all, but here's my take on things.

Like Dave1976 said, while it may be difficulty you have to take the cacher's comments in context . . . 31 feet EPE is pretty darn good (a new geocacher may mistakenly believe that their GPSr will bring them right to the geocache each and every time which of course is wrong) and while I try not to judge anyone by the number of finds/hides one must realize (albeit it's not always easy when being criticized) that the person with an issue may not realize there is some etiquette involved (and you should realize that a) some people do not convey their true personalities and thoughts very well to paper, or in this case the computer screen and b) some people are very direct and to the point and mean no disrespect) and that the hider may not be able to go right out and fix any problems.

As Parmachenee said . . . FAMILY comes first. When you're on your deathbed remember this . . . it will not be all of the geocachers who have found your caches waiting at your side and it will not be your co-workers -- it will most likely be some of your good friends (which may include some geocachers though) and your family members who will be with you until the end. For this reason . . . family and friends should always have priority in your life and let the caches remain damp if they need to.

This said, I do believe we have an obligation to maintain our caches . . . but again whenever and however we can do so. There is no 24-hour or 48-hour rule that I know about where we must rush out to fix our caches once we know there is an issue! ;) Do it whenever it's convenient. You may wish to look at replacing the original cache containers possibly (not knowing what you are using) -- a plug for ammo cans . . . these things are virtually maintainance free (other than an occasional check to make sure it's still hid and in the same place.)

I also agree with Dave1976 about geocaching etiquette. Maybe it's just me but I always find it a priviledge to be brought to an area to search for a cache. While I don't always like the view (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), cache container or the type of cache . . . I still appreciate the cacher for taking their time to place a cache and invite others to search out the cache . . . and in many cases experience an area I never would have seen. For this reason and this reason only I pick my words carefully when making a log and try not to be negative even when I find a cache that I didn't particularly like due to its hide, container, contents, care, location, etc. I only wish more folks would realize that words -- whether spoken or written -- can hurt more than the sharpest knife and as such they should carefully think before they write/speak. (Incidentally, Jen . . . the one cache I did of yours was in a good condition and I enjoyed it.)

FuddsGirls
06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
. . . I still appreciate the cacher for taking their time to place a cache and invite others to search out the cache . . . .)
Well said right there. Unfortunately cache etiquette needs to be learned and we do that by finding more caches and reading others' logs and posts. We need to appreciate everone's efforts because all our circumstances are different. Just have fun darn it.

Haffy
06-28-2006, 08:54 AM
See Jen,nothing to worry about. KK has offered to check on the caches for you if you want and don't get caught up on some comments of an inexperienced cacher. Heck 31 feet, I wish some of the caches that I have found were in the 31 foot area...lol. Just do the best that you can. I'm sure if your caching days are numbered then there are plenty of us folks out here who would gladly either adopt those caches or you could just have them archived and someone else can put one there if they want. I wouldn't let it bother me.

And now about the 4th Annual Geochicks BBQ....................:D

Hiker Twins
06-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Jen don't let one person make you stop placing a cache or caching! I might make mention of a wet cache, etc., but I am just thankful (most of the time :) ) that someone's cache enticed me to get out of the house and go play! I would never bad-mouth their efforts!

Geochicks
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh god, has it been THAT long?

Yes, it has....

I'll talk to Geochick Ann (I call her mom!) and see what we can swing for a BBQ this year!

Plus, Colleen no longer eats rocks!!

we3beans
06-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Jen don't let one person make you stop placing a cache or caching! I might make mention of a wet cache, etc., but I am just thankful (most of the time :) ) that someone's cache enticed me to get out of the house and go play! I would never bad-mouth their efforts!

ditto from us! And honestly, I think it is my responsibility to leave things better than I found them and if I have the materials to clean up a cache or replace the container then I do it to help out the cache owner. And besides where is the gratitude? You adopted these caches from a kid who had abandoned them! Just a newbie bein' a dork.

Geochicks
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Did you ever hear the story about how I was FTF on a cache at the 1st one when I had no waypoints or description? :D

You be nice!! I will drive all the way up there and fick your ear again!!

Geochicks
06-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Well Jen I don't know you at all...
(Incidentally, Jen . . . the one cache I did of yours was in a good condition and I enjoyed it.)

Actually, Jake we do know each other, but you just don't know we do...

I used to work for Maine Injury Prevention, and worked with K. Zwicker, who knew you.. there was a conference at the Civic Center that I did the registration table for... and I didn't put one and one together until I saw your log on that cache.... and realised you were at that conference....

firefighterjake
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Actually, Jake we do know each other, but you just don't know we do...

I used to work for Maine Injury Prevention, and worked with K. Zwicker, who knew you.. there was a conference at the Civic Center that I did the registration table for... and I didn't put one and one together until I saw your log on that cache.... and realised you were at that conference....

Ah, the story of my life . . . folks know me, but I don't know them. It's surprising to me that I have met so many geocachers before I was involved in geocaching in other ways (i.e. Attroll while snowmobiling, Cameooo while working as a photographer/fire safety guru, Tuna and Clan while ATVing, Dave1976 while working as a fire safety instuctor, etc.)

Well I'm still at a lost since I have a lousy memory for faces and names . . . but I do know Kathryn and the conference was great (plus it allowed me to do a few caches on the way down and way back from Augusta -- tell Kathryn she needs to do a few more confernences by the way since I still have a couple more of your caches to do as well as some by KK and others in the area! ;) :D )

Keep the faith there geochicks . . . and remember family and friends come first and foremost

Beach Comber
06-28-2006, 11:16 AM

:eek: Oh no Dave - you better get this square in your mind - if you don't you will always be off on the anniversary of a very important date!! Yikessssssssss!!!

brdad
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
:eek: Oh no Dave - you better get this square in your mind - if you don't you will always be off on the anniversary of a very important date!! Yikessssssssss!!!

It's your anniversary? Happy Anniversary!

Beach Comber
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks! :p

Actually, one of Jen's BBQ's was my very first event - I was shy back then so I am surprised that you would even know that I was there. Thanks for remembering!

attroll
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM

Actually, one of Jen's BBQ's was my very first event - I was shy back then so I am surprised that you would even know that I was there. Thanks for remembering!
One of Jen's BBQ's was our first event to and I was shy also and still am. :)

d’76
06-28-2006, 12:19 PM

You shy.... what ever:p

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd like to make a plug here!!! uuoo uuoo!!

If I come across a cache that needs a fresh log book or an extra golf pencil or a new ziplock, I'm more than happy to supply it. If the cache coordinates are off, I'll post my coordinates in my log. -- (While up in "county", I had a cache I looked and looked for. I finally broke down and read Past logs when I came across one from Noreasta that was 18 months old that gave coords that put the cache 180 feet from the posted coords. Using those coords I walked right to the cache. THANKS NOREASTA!!!!!!!)

I know we've kicked this concept around here at geocachingmaine in the past but I thought I'd mention it here. Helping out another cacher is part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

parmachenee
06-28-2006, 04:29 PM

If I come across a cache that needs a fresh log book or an extra golf pencil or a new ziplock, I'm more than happy to supply it. If the cache coordinates are off, I'll post my coordinates in my log. -- (While up in "county", I had a cache I looked and looked for. I finally broke down and read Past logs when I came across one from Noreasta that was 18 months old that gave coords that put the cache 180 feet from the posted coords. Using those coords I walked right to the cache. THANKS NOREASTA!!!!!!!)

I know we've kicked this concept around here at geocachingmaine in the past but I thought I'd mention it here. Helping out another cacher is part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto!!:D I have to add some more words...so Ditto again.:D

Hiram357
06-28-2006, 04:53 PM

i shall nod my head in agreement. :D

now could you please pronounce.... uuoo uuoo :confused:

hollora
06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
May also know you from my Public Health days but hang in there! There are many to help - just ask.

I, too, was hurt by some harsh words via email regarding, not one of my caches but, someone elses. It was undeserved as I had just emailed to help. That offer was not wanted or accepted. Remember - we are all human. Let it go. Deal with priorities and know there are many to help you.

Just this past Memorial Day weekend, in an instant, my families life, future and dreams were blown apart with a devasting medical diagnosis for my husband. Fortunately, he has had surgery, is improving, has a wonderful outlook and we are plogging along. But - life has changed for us - and so have our plans. I hope not one critizes if what we do changes on a moment's notice. Sometimes, we have not control over this. Trust me - I know.

Also agreed cachers with sincere ethics should be willing to do whatever possible to help one another. Wipe out a cache, replace a log (or even hike back in with one), sharpen a pencil or whatever. That is part of the game and ethics thereof. Communication is a key and recognizing that sometimes that perhaps doesn't belong in the log.

Hang in there and I hope to meet you sometime as well as do some of your caches in the future. Chin up - bruised and skinned knees are the sign of a veteran. [:)]

Kacky
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
The person who goes around complaining about 31 feet and dissing peoples' caches is just making themselves look bad. With that attitude, how long can they last, really?

firefighterjake
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
An Open Letter to Maine Geocachers:

After some unpleasant geocaching experiences in your State I feel compelled to ask that you consider the following measures to improve other's geocaching experiences so that they will not have to suffer needlessly as I have.

1) Please place all caches in parking lots or off roadways . . . or if they are in the woods please be sure to pave the walkway. When I was up in Maine geocaching I ended up with mud on my hiking boots that I had just purchased from LL Bean. I realize there is nothing you can do about six straight days of rain, but there is something you can do about the mud.

2) Please be sure to hide all caches under a huge pile of unlit campfire wood . . . or even better place them in 35 mm film canisters under a lamppost or attached to a guardrail. It drives me crazy when I have to look under a rock, in a hollow log or in some other hidden manner. The way I figure it I'm a busy guy and I shouldn't have to spend more than three minutes looking for a cache so please make it painfully obvious to me and other cachers so that we can spot it from 300 yards away.

3) Please make sure your coordinates are exactly right. I realize that some of you may feel compelled to spend time with your family or work for a living, but there is no reason to not have dead-on coordinates. I don't want to wander around aimlessly in a beautiful spot on a beautiful day . . . I want to find the cache and get back on the highway to speed off to my next cache find. If you need to go out 100 times before coming up with the dead-on-the-mark coordinates so be it . . . in fact, if you could hire a professional surveyor with an even more accurate GPS receiver that would be even better.

4) I know some of you folks there in Maine like the ammo boxes and the Lock N' Lock containers and you swear by them. However, I personally believe the Lock N' Lock containers just won't last 20-25 years in the woods and ammo boxes invariably start to get that distinctive "ammo box smell" that conflicts something awful with my Polo that I wear while geocaching so if you could all switch over to $50+ Pelican water-proof, shock-resistant boxes it would be really appreciated.

5) What is with all of the bugs in Maine. I can't believe how many mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies and other bugs are in Maine. I mean, you don't have those large cockroaches, but these other bugs are terrible. I suppose I could use some bug spray to ward off those biting insects, but it would really be much better for me if you could initiate an air-borne crop dusting operation to kill off these insects. It really would make my geocaching experience more enjoyable.

6) I have on occasion found some caches in Maine to need some work. The other day I found a cache that had a broken pencil. I suppose I could have brought my own writing utensil with me, but I didn't bother since it would have meant carrying in the extra weight. Sometimes I found the logs to be full and I wasn't sure of what to do . . . it was almost enough to make me sit down and cry. Occasionally I even found a cache that had a bit of water in it or some trashed items. I know I could have cleaned it out and brought the trash back home with me, but I didn't really have the time (I wanted to do 30 caches that day) and besides I didn't really want to have to haul all of that icky trash in my backpack.

Well, I guess that's about all . . . unless you can do anything about some of those caches on the mountain tops -- it's a lot of work to get up there and find the cache (you couldn't build an auto road to these caches could you?)

Thanks.

A Geocacher

;) :D

we3beans
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
ooohhhh, now you've done it!

d’76
06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
So Jake,

Was that an anonomus letter or was that you disguising it as someone else. I thinnk firemen have way to much time on your hands. I am going to start lighting fires around the greater bangor area just to keep you busy.:p :D

firefighterjake
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
So Jake,

Was that an anonomus letter or was that you disguising it as someone else. I thinnk firemen have way to much time on your hands. I am going to start lighting fires around the greater bangor area just to keep you busy.:p :D

Just attempting a bit of satire . . . and as for the fires . . . It will not bother me since I'll be out of the office for the next few days (I think my wife has some work projects planned around the house . . . she mentioned something about not spending all of my time ATVing, geocaching, snowmobiling, etc.) :D

parmachenee
06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Just attempting a bit of satire . . . and as for the fires . . . It will not bother me since I'll be out of the office for the next few days (I think my wife has some work projects planned around the house . . . she mentioned something about not spending all of my time ATVing, geocaching, snowmobiling, etc.) :D

Satire is noted...are we doing a little "Boz" here??:) And I noticed you started that work around the house by doing a cache on Chick Hill. LOL!:D

firefighterjake
06-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Satire is noted...are we doing a little "Boz" here??:) And I noticed you started that work around the house by doing a cache on Chick Hill. LOL!:D

Color me confused . . . Boz??? Not sure what the reference is to . . . but then again I'm sometimes quite dense.

And yes I'll admit I did Chick Hill before coming home from work yesterday . . . I figured I may not be doing much geocaching in the next few days (although I have plans to release two new caches tonight or tomorrow in time for the long weekend -- I just have to sneak out of the house for a bit) so I thought I would squeeze at least one cache in this week for my "fix."

I swear I sometimes feel like a junky . . . always wanting that rush, that unsatiable craving to find "just one more" cache, the feeling that I have never found enough in one day/week/trip, etc.

Incidentally, I love Chick Hill. It was wicked fun driving up the road with the 4Runner locked in low 4WD. Pretty foggy at the top so no view -- I have seen the great view before. And some of the blueberries were ripe so I ate a bunch for a Scooby-snack -- at least I'm pretty sure they were blueberries . . . although maybe they were not . . . could explain the hallucinations I had shortly thereafter of dancing pill bottles chasing me all over Chick Hill until I managed to climb up one of the towers there. :D ;)

parmachenee
06-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Color me confused . . . Boz??? Not sure what the reference is to . . . but then again I'm sometimes quite dense.

Charles Dickens' Sketches by Boz social commentary.

becket
06-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Charles Dickens' Sketches by Boz social commentary.

sometimes i think he's more like the men in dickens' pickwick papers!