View Full Version : Delorme Challenge conquered

Haffy
07-01-2006, 12:54 PM
My congrats go out to Gob-ler for being the first person to complete the Delorme Challenge. Man that is a lot of state to see and I bet your wallet is holding a lot less money from all that gas. I've only got 22 more grids to go,not sure if I'll ever get them all. Outstanding accomplishment!!!

Gob-ler
07-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks John. Lots and lots of miles (1800 just this week) and dirt roads. Good dirt roads that are better than most paved and a few dirt roads that were pretty bad. Plenty of gas too! Mosquitos galore, moose by the herd full, deer, a bear and I swear millions of jack rabbits.

I worked on it quietly getting the data in order and then freed up the schedule this week and made a big push. Hopefully when the results are checked by TT everything will be in order.

It would be a tough one to do with out a computer (GSAK, Delorme Maps and so forth) and a good co pilot would do wonders. I did it alone, but boy let me tell you lots and lots of great places (I already knew that, but again the beauty of this State is something else).

There are others whose names I have seen in the log books that must be close. I wish them well and success in completeing the challenge.

attroll
07-01-2006, 01:59 PM
I am sure Andy is bumming now. He was trying to get the FTF on this.

Congratulations Gob-ler.

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

Cache Maine
07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
That is awesome. Congratulations Gobler....those northern ones don't come easy. The best part is that I saw that you left some new caches behind too for others to enjoy. Way to go!

Beach Comber
07-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Wow! That is fantastic. Sounds like you had fun along the way.

LaughingTerry
07-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Man am I jealous.......

Congrats!

Mainiac1957
07-02-2006, 06:44 AM
You certainly worked your tail off to do it. My hat's off to you.

Sudonim
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Hats off to you Gob-ler! I know what you went through to get this (trust me :) )
1 boat ride and I'll be there too.
Looking forward to meeting you at some point.

Gob-ler
07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Andy for your comments. I know that you know exactly what I went through. I think I drove in your tire tracks most of the way.

I posted a photo in the photo section of my van and me when it was done. My green mini van is now brown thanks to the Golden Road/Telos Road mud.

For your effort in trying to do this thing your a winner in my book!

Thanks also to the others who have left comments. All very much appreciated.

attroll
07-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Holy cow you were not kidding when you said your van was now brown.

Team2hunt
07-02-2006, 01:46 PM
You have been thru alot and congrats on the FTF. Lots of stories to be told when we see you again on the trails. Sorry we didn't talk, we are headed up to the Allagash this coming week and I wanted to drop off your coin up there.:rolleyes: That would have been an easy one to grab then. Congrats!!

firefighterjake
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I usually am not one to post congratulations for birthdays, anniversaries, numbers reached, post counts, etc. (just not my thing), but I thought this accomplishment was well worth breaking my own "rule" as this truly is a fantastic accomplishment. Congrats Gobler . . .

becket
07-03-2006, 06:27 AM
i am getting old and forgetful! i thought i had posted my congratulations, but reading back through, i realized i had not. anyway, congratulations on this amazing feat!

parmachenee
07-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I just logged on to see what was happening back in Maine and saw this great accomplishment of will, trust...in the geowagon, and holes in the wallet. :) I've been to some of those remote spots and can appreciate doing it all so quickly. Congrats again.:)

tat
07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
This is your best FTF ever! Congrats!! I've been chasing Sudonim around the state on lots of dirt roads. We're right behind you.

lwa11
07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Awesome!!! Congrats to the Gobler!! He was my first to find... ah first cacher I ever bumped into in person!!!

What is next Gobler? The USA Delorme Challenge?

msteelee
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
That is really awesome - what an accomplishment! Congratulations!

brdad
07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Congrats! We are a ways behind, but it is definitely on our todo list! Had an Idea you were going for it when we saw all those logs in remote caches!

we3beans
07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow, that pretty incredible! Congrats on FTF!!

d’76
07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Seems like the geovan may have taken a beatin to get this done. Thats what they are for. Great job!!! Thats quite a bit of driving:)

Congrats