View Full Version : mapsource help

lwa11
07-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Okay..is it possible to load both topo and city select to the gpsr?

If so how do you switch between the two or use the two on the gpsr?

d’76
07-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Idont think it is possible. Let me say that isnt supposed to be possible.

lwa11
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
hhhhmmm..... that doesnt seem very smart of them..... cant use a detailed city map to get where ya going and then switch to a topo for the hike that you needed to drive to?

Gob-ler
07-01-2006, 04:11 PM
It is possible and almost easy.

You have a Legend CX that means you have a data card.

With the mapsource install tool load the map segments in. Select and then topo. I believe the install tool will load them to different folders.

With your gps go to the setup menu, then to maps, then to the section that shows map names and then hit the menu key and one of your selections is to hide or change maps. That may not be exactly how the legend does it, but my garmin does it that way. You can toggle between Topo and Select.

d’76
07-01-2006, 04:18 PM
yahhhhh Yesss the data cards I forgot about that new fantangled stuff:D

lwa11
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Gobler.... Thanks that works real well.

Very easy to toggle.... city select... no city select... ah topo..no topo... too bad no topo..doesnt really make the hill go away so you can walk flat. Make mountain hiking much easier.

If I put stuff on two cards..can I just slip cards in and out?

Dave thanks the attempted help. I apppreciate it.

lwa11
07-01-2006, 04:22 PM
well Dave..when you get rid of that piece ya got and find yourself in the "x" men club...... lol

d’76
07-01-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm already a member of an "X" club, but thanks:p

thecyr
07-01-2006, 09:52 PM
on my legend C, you go into the map setup and menu click to get the show/hide screen.

Indeed, being able to switch between map products is...sweet.

WhereRWe?
07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Is there any way to check how much memory you have available on the Garmin "x" series? We have a 60csx, and although we've been VERY happy with the amount of data we've been able to put on a 256mb card, it would be interesting to know how much of it we use. I haven't been able to figure out if it is possible.

Gob-ler
07-02-2006, 08:13 AM
If you have a memory card reader it will scan the card and tell you how much is used and how much is available. I'll check on one other way and get back to you if it works.

d’76
07-02-2006, 08:17 AM
If you have a memory card reader it will scan the card and tell you how much is used and how much is available. I'll check on one other way and get back to you if it works.

Will that work on a printer that you can put various memory cards in and read it as an external drive?

Gob-ler
07-02-2006, 08:43 AM
That should work just fine.

robt
07-02-2006, 01:44 PM

I do not think that will work on the 60 csx, I belive that the card is only readable in the unit. Probally a proprietory file system format. I tried that on my original card when I first got my 1 gig card. would have made loading the map a whole lot faster if I could have done it through my reader.

WhereRWe?
07-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Yeah - I know that - but it would be nice to be able to check it in the GPSr.

:D :D

WhereRWe?
07-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I do not think that will work on the 60 csx, I belive that the card is only readable in the unit. Probally a proprietory file system format. I tried that on my original card when I first got my 1 gig card. would have made loading the map a whole lot faster if I could have done it through my reader.

No - I haven't tried it, but you should be able to see the card, if not read the files. I have an adapter that came with my 256mb mini-SD card that I can use in a card reader - but what a pain to take the mini-SD out of the GPSr! LOL!

(I note that the brands are the same, as well - the 64mb card that came with the GPSr and the bigger one I got.

robt
07-03-2006, 02:00 PM
No - I haven't tried it, but you should be able to see the card, if not read the files. I have an adapter that came with my 256mb mini-SD card that I can use in a card reader - but what a pain to take the mini-SD out of the GPSr! LOL!

(I note that the brands are the same, as well - the 64mb card that came with the GPSr and the bigger one I got.

I will have to look at mine when I get home. If my memory is forrect I could see the card but it was not in a readable format but i will confirm tonight

WhereRWe?
07-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I will have to look at mine when I get home. If my memory is forrect I could see the card but it was not in a readable format but i will confirm tonight

I just stuck the original card in a reader and looked at it. I see a 47,043 k file entitled gmappsup.img. Sound familiar?