View Full Version : Delorme Challenge conquered AGAIN!

Cache Maine
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Congratulations to Sudonim on conquering this monster! I know it's not "official" yet, but I just couldn't wait to send my congrats! Look forward to hearing about some of the finer moments of this endeavor!

Gob-ler
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Congrats on a super accomplishment. having been there and done that all I can say is Way to Go!

brdad
07-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Hey hey, now. it's not a find until you sign the logbook!
Ok, congrats anyway!

Suppose anyone will ever get a DNF on it?

becket
07-05-2006, 05:44 AM
wow, sudy, that is awesome! congratulations!

parmachenee
07-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Nice job Andy...it's a nice accomplishment and now you can apply for your Maine Guide license. :D

firefighterjake
07-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Congrats Andy.

RanMan22
07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Way to go, Andy!

we3beans
07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Congrats Andy! (the poor scooby doo...esp if it looked anything like gob-lers van!)

Sudonim
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Congrats Andy! (the poor scooby doo...esp if it looked anything like gob-lers van!)
Yeah, the car...
In the last 10 days, almost 2000 miles, seized rear brake caliper (but still had to drive all weekend with it), way too much gas, slept in the back of the car 3 times, ripped off a piece of plastic from underneath the car, hit a raccoon, chased multiple moose and rabbits down the road, ferry ride (with bicycle) to Vinalhaven. Long couple of weeks.
My lawn is ready to hay.
Fun though. I'd do it again (in a couple of years) :)

Beach Comber
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
That's fantastic!! What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

hollora
07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
WoW - way to go! I probably won't live long enough.

Gob-ler
07-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm jealous! I only rode the ferry over to Vinalhaven. The truth is that I wanted to take the van but when they saw it they said no way are you bringing that thing on our boat!

The real truth is that I really did not have any money left for the fare for the van. All those miles, gas, cups of coffee took their toll. I put about 2,000 mile on it 4 days of caching, but that does not count the 35 or so that I had done previously. The challenge is an awesome experience and highly recommended by this cacher.

I did hit a hare (snowshoe rabbit) going to do GCWW0E and when I drove back 20 minutes later it was gone. Probably a coyote. I left no body parts behind and did not even have a flat tire (which is rare for travelling in those parts) but boy did my mapping software take me on two little out of the way jaunts. Alder brush trying to rip the mirrors off the van and brush so thick you could not even see the sky! Don't believe everything Delorme software tells you!

Andy we will have to compare notes sometime.

Sudonim
07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm jealous! I only rode the ferry over to Vinalhaven. The truth is that I wanted to take the van but when they saw it they said no way are you bringing that thing on our boat!

I was wondering why you didn't do GCGQ5A on the north end of the island. I figured that you were in enough of a hurry that you wanted to catch the same boat back. I had to pedal 5 miles north, hike a half mile, get the cache, then do it all over in 1.5 hours to catch the next ferry!

I had heard so many horror stories about getting flat tires on the golden road, that in addition to my regular spare, I brought 2 extra tires that I had in storage, as well as a patch kit, pump and 12v inverter! Didn't flat once, must have been the overwhelming karma in the back of the wagon.

msteelee
07-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Andy, you did it! Congratulations!

Mainiac1957
07-08-2006, 06:05 AM
I had heard so many horror stories about getting flat tires on the golden road, that in addition to my regular spare, I brought 2 extra tires that I had in storage, as well as a patch kit, pump and 12v inverter! Didn't flat once, must have been the overwhelming karma in the back of the wagon.

We had 3 up there this past week:eek:

Kaching Karen
07-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Congratulations, Andy! Team2hunt, Mainiac1957, Tat and I could have used your spares. We talked about the Delorme challenge a lot and nabbed some caches up that way, just in case we go after this one. Maine is truely a beautiful place to explore and for me, geocaching is for getting out and discovering beautiful and interesting places. It's all worth the travel, breakdowns, and fun!

Team2hunt
07-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Congratulations, Andy! Team2hunt, Mainiac1957, Tat and I could have used your spares. We talked about the Delorme challenge a lot and nabbed some caches up that way, just in case we go after this one. Maine is truely a beautiful place to explore and for me, geocaching is for getting out and discovering beautiful and interesting places. It's all worth the travel, breakdowns, and fun!

Couldn't have said it better. Congrats Andy.

tat
07-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Right behind you all the way!!!

Congrats!

d’76
07-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Man Andy you are crazy. I thought that some one would get an ftf and an stf but i never thought it would be so soon. Congrats:)