View Full Version : Abandoned cache?

FuddsGirls
07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
:confused: Yesterday we attempted to find the Trolly Line cache, GC9F97, in West Bath. We followed the directions to the cache but the only way we could see it to be accessable was to walk down active railroad tracks. I was going to e-mail the owner but he is not a validated member, has not visited the geocaching web sight since June 2003 and only has 2 ever finds. Does anyone know of a path we didn't see. Others have mentioned the railroad tracks also.

attroll
07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
When I did this cache years ago the only way was to walk down the railroad to get to it. In fact they had that in the description when I did it.

tat
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
When I did this cache years ago the only way was to walk down the railroad to get to it. In fact they had that in the description when I did it.

When Robt and I did it with my dad, we walked the tracks on the way in and found a snowmobile trail on the way out. It is very hard to see and it goes very close to someone's house. The trail follows the old trolley line.

FuddsGirls
07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
This is the description:
Near an old trolly bed, rough going in parts.
Your looking for a standard rubbermaid container with a white lid. Park on Sanfords Crossing road out of the way just before the tracks. Part of the way you will be walking on the old trolly line that used to be there in the 1800's. The tracks them selves have long since been removed. The immediate area may be overgrown.

:( Guess it will have to be a no go for us. I might consider walking on train tracks if we have a mild winter but my girls know its illegal and were afraid to.

Ye Olde Prospector
07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi FuddsGirls,

The Trolly Line cache should probably be archived. When it was originally placed the rail line was seldom used (Once a week/Month) in summer but it has been reactivated now for the summer months with frequent train trips to Rockland. There have also been complaints about people parking on Sanfords Crossing Rd. at times. You can get to the cache from a turnout on the Old Bath Rd directly north of the cache but it still involves crossing the tracks then bushwhacking up over a steep hill and crossing a brook that floods in the spring. I live nearby a sometimes deer hunt in that area but there is no real easy way to the cache without walking the RR tracks. It is the same tracks involved with the Rubiks Revenge cache in Woolwich.

Cliff

FuddsGirls
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Who should archive it and will that cause a big.......:mad: ?

Haffy
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
All you have to do is post a SBA note and the reviewer will archive it. I too found that cache and the only way was to walk along the tracks til we got to the old Trolley Line and then we went in to the cache from there. Or better yet just email GPSfun and explain the situation to him that the tracks are now active and he will take care of it from there. Thanks for bringing this up and once it is archived it should be removed my someone if the owner is no longer around.

FuddsGirls
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I have e-mailed gpsfun.

MoxieMan
07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
See! who needs and orginization? we have all the networking needs right here on this site! :)