View Full Version : Bangor Area Things to Do

Kaching Karen
07-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Okay, my 24 year old daughter is coming home this week and my son wants to go to Orono to show her his school and apartment on Saturday. Help me... what is there to do with young "adults" in the Bangor/Orono area? My kids are pretty enthusiastic about anything. I don't know the area that well and can't seem to find an event calendar for the area.

Haffy
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Well there is always caching if nothing else...:D If they like gambling there is the Hollywood Slots. I have never been but know people who have and they always have a good time win or lose. I'm sure some Bangor people would have a better idea....Brdad,Lee,Sudonim,Brad just to name a few.

pjpreb
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
UMaine has a whitewater kayak camp starting up on Sunday. (I think it is a multi-day thing though) It requires registration and an admission fee (I don't know how much the fee is) but the program looks like fun. It's posted on the "Calendar" of U Maine's web site.
http://calendar.umaine.edu/details.asp?eventid=1868

brdad
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Hmm, when we want to do something, we go to Augusta or somewhere!

How about the Orono Bog Walk? A few caches and a hike... Dyslexic's nightmare coult test the threads of any family!

The G Team
07-19-2006, 12:05 PM
It's a fun way to kill an hour. We've been once (before the coin distribution event, actually) and enjoyed it--went in with $20 and came out with $40. YMMV! :D

Well there is always caching if nothing else...:D If they like gambling there is the Hollywood Slots. I have never been but know people who have and they always have a good time win or lose. I'm sure some Bangor people would have a better idea....Brdad,Lee,Sudonim,Brad just to name a few.

dí76
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Mini Golf and go carts at Black beards would be fun for all ages. I would recommend the Bear brew pub for a nice dinner in Orono. And in Old Town you have Sunkhaze wild life refuge that would be a nice trail system http://www.sunkhaze.org/

Anything else... Hmmmm Let me see. Theres some good caching in the area.

OBTW your are only about 45 minutes from Bar Harbor.

Sudonim
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
On a nice day, sitting out on the deck of the Sea Dog restaurant is a pretty spot to watch the boats go by.

firefighterjake
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Here's a few possible ideas. I wasn't exactly sure when you were thinking of coming up here so . . .

Thu Jul 20, 2006 - 04:00 PM- 08:00 PM
Outdoor Market. Featuring artisans, food vendors and entertainment. Location: On the Kenduskeag Plaza.
Bangor Center Corp. 992-4234

Thu Jul 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM- 08:00 PM
Cool Sounds Concert. Cool Sounds Concert in Pickering Square with Dave Wooley (Original Country sound).
Bangor Center Corp. 992-4234

Tue Jul 20, 2006 - 07:30 PM
2006 Summer Concert Series. Diane Luchese (Baltimore, Maryland). Works of Bach, Durufle, Franck, Mozart, Woodman & Tournemire).
St. John's Catholic Church. 942-6941

Thu Jul 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM
Public Lecture. "Orono History Overview" by UMaine Professor (ret) Steward Doty. Location: Orono Town Hall.
Town of Orono. 866-2467

Fri Jul 21, 2006
Outdoor Movies-Funny Face. Location: Pickering Square, downtown Bangor. Movie begins at sundown, and refreshments will be available. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets.
River City Cinema Society. 942-0306

Sun Jul 23, 2006 - 11:00 AM- 03:00 PM
Annual Maine Wedding Association Bridal Show. Enjoy the fashions, food, and festivities. Visit and shop with many local and national vendors. Hourly Door Prizes, and a grand prize Honeymoon Trip.
Spectacular Event Center. 937-3000

Tue Jul 25, 2006 - 06:45 PM
Bangor Band Concert. Conductor Fredric Goldrich. Location: Chapin Park Block Party.
Bangor Parks and Rec. 667-4874

Wed Jul 26, 2006 -07:00 PM
Free Concerts at the Library. Prevailing Winds perform. A fun saxophone quartet.
Bangor Public Library. 947-8336

Tue Jul 26, 2006 - 07:00 PM
Summer Music Series. Prevailing Winds, Saxophone Quartet.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 - 05:00 PM- 09:00 PM
Thomas Hill Standpipe Tour. Built in 1897, the Standpipe was constructed on the highest point in Bangor. It was designed for firefighting and as the reserve water supply for the city. Magnificent view of the city and surrounding area.
Bangor Water District. 947-4516

Wed Jul 26, 2006 - 11:00 AM12:00 PM
Adult Drawing Class. Location: Isaacs Farrar Mansion on Second St. with instructor Carolyn Wallace-Zani owner of Main Street Studio. Contact the Bangor Y for more information.
Main Street Studio. 941-2828

Thu Jul 27, 2006 - 06:00 PM
Fund Raising Program. Readers Theatre and Jazz Night.

Tue Jul 27, 2006 - 07:30 PM
2006 Summer Concert Series. Kevin Birch (Bangor, Maine). Works of Bach, Barber, Buck, Franck & Frescobaldi.
St. John's Catholic Church. 942-6941

Fri Jul 28, 2006
Outdoor Movies-Murder on the Orient Express. Location: Pickering Square, downtown Bangor. Movie begins at sundown, and refreshments will be available. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets.
River City Cinema Society. 942-0306

Fri Jul 28, 2006 - 07:30 PM- 10:30 PM
Comedy Show. Larry Myles from MTVA and Iraq USO Tour. Doors open at 7:30 PM, Show from 8:30-10:30. tickets are $18 per person, includes hot and cold appetizers and cash bar.
Spectacular Event Center. 941-8700

Jul 29-Aug 6, 2006 947-5555
Bangor State Fair.
Bangor Auditorium/Civic Center. 947-5555
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few of my favorite picks (besides geocaching of course)

Stop by the Friar's Bakery downtown . . . the Friars are wicked nice and make some sinfully delicious pastries such as Mortal Cin-a-bons and a few other creations. Of course I have only heard tell of these tasty treats since I would never be found in such a place eating such a thing . . . except for Friday mornings around 9 a.m. :D

It's a chain restaurant, but it's the only one in Maine and I have to admit that I love this place . . . especially the sweet rolls with the cinnamon butter . . . Texas Roadhouse -- if you're looking for a quiet, low-key romantic place this sure isn't the place to go. The waitresses and waiters will line dance on certain songs, you're encouraged to throw your peanut shells on the floor (you may not want to go here if you have a peanut allergy) and the place is positively thrumming with activity. One of my favorite restaurants . . . oh yeah, the food is wicked good.

firefighterjake
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Too bad you weren't visiting in late August as the American Folk Festival is a pretty neat event . . . runs from August 26-28th this year.

firefighterjake
07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Of course there is also the Mall (not my thing . . . but some folks enjoy shopping), walking/biking at the City Forest, kayaking on the Penobscot (although you may not want to do what I did several years ago and do a Brewer to Bucksport trip . . . my arms were never so sore), harness racing is going on at Bass Park on the 21st and 23rd and you can always visit Dave1976 in Old Town (he gives you a free drink of water with every visit! ;) :D )

Bangor unfortunately is not really known as a destination spot . . . there is not a lot here for fun, exciting things to do other than the normal movies/bowling/etc. events found in any city. Things are changing a bit with Hollywood Slots (mentioned by other geocachers) and then there are places like Blackbeards, the Children's Museum, Discovery Shuttle Museum, etc. that are geared towards children . . . but quite honestly most of the literature on-line seems to be promoting Bangor as a "gateway" to Bar Harbor and the Katahdin Area.

Oh yeah I also thought of another possible place to eat . . . Big Fred's and his Patriot burger. Honestly, the burger is fair to good taste-wise, but what sets this burger aside is the sheer size . . . it's about the size of a small pizza (you may be able to eat one at one sitting . . . but you won't want to do much else for the rest of the day.)

ribnag
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Kaching Karen : Help me... what is there to do with young "adults" in the Bangor/Orono area?

Check out http://www.bangorinfo.com/ (http://www.bangorinfo.com) , it has quite a bit of info on things to do in the Bangor area (check out the "Area Events" page).

And don't forget beer. You can never go wrong with beer. :D

we3beans
07-19-2006, 02:14 PM
there's the UMaine Museum of Art
http://www.umma.umaine.edu/

Bangor Historical Society Museum
Bangor, ME
Phone: 207-942-5766

Also known as the Thomas A. Hill House, the museum focuses on the history of Bangor and the surrounding area.

I think this might be closed for renovations....

Cole Land Transportation Museum
405 Perry Road
Bangor, ME
Phone: 207-990-3600

Exhibits feature antique vehicles, including a display of military cars and trucks. There is also a covered bridge on the premises. Open May 1-Nov. 11.
and a cache on the premises.
www.colemuseum.org (http://www.colemuseum.org)

Hudson Museum and Palmer Gallery
Maine Center for the Arts
Orono, ME

Art museum features exhibitions of Native American and Cenral American art and artifacts.

Maine Forest and Logging Museum
Route 178
Leonard's Mills, ME
Phone: 207-581-2871

Visitors can explore the history of logging, in addition to the ecology of the logging industry, forest growth, and wildlife.

And beer, beer is good. :-)

firefighterjake
07-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Cole Land Transportation Museum
405 Perry Road
Bangor, ME
Phone: 207-990-3600

Exhibits feature antique vehicles, including a display of military cars and trucks. There is also a covered bridge on the premises. Open May 1-Nov. 11.
and a cache on the premises.
www.colemuseum.org (http://www.colemuseum.org)

I totally spaced on that one . . . I still haven't visited this museum, but I've been told it is top notch . . . now if only they allowed visitors to drive the tank out front! ;) :D

Haffy
07-19-2006, 03:31 PM
I just loved the Maine Forest and Logging Museum. I was there at Leonards Mills to do a part of one of Team Nirvana's Nightmare caches and thought it was pretty cool. Plus it is right near where you are going to the UMO campus. Here is the link for that:

http://www.leonardsmills.com/

dragonflys
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
This is all great stuff for me. I grew up in Moncton and every summer we camped at the campground on Hammond St (I think) near Hermon and the race track. Man that was a fun place, it closed a while back. A lot of good memories there.

Team2hunt
07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Are any of the surrounding towns having their " Old Home Days "? Nothing like a home town festival, parade and fireworks. Cotton candy, clowns, and that smell of barn animals. :p Reminds me of growing up in Casco. Ok....I never grew up.

Bar Harbor gets my vote:cool:

becket
07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Hudson Museum and Palmer Gallery
Maine Center for the Arts
Orono, ME

Art museum features exhibitions of Native American and Cenral American art and artifacts.

this is my absolute favorite museum - it is awesome. and it always was free - i haven't been in a few years, so i'm not sure about now. it is well worth a trip to u of me.

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Are any of the surrounding towns having their " Old Home Days "? Nothing like a home town festival, parade and fireworks. Cotton candy, clowns, and that smell of barn animals. :p Reminds me of growing up in Casco. Ok....I never grew up.

Bar Harbor gets my vote:cool:

Milo's Fire Department is celebrating 100 years of existence with a parade, fireworks, various hometown contests, etc.

Here's a link to their activities.

http://www.trcmaine.org/mfd100/

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
. . . and a few miles south is the Central Maine Egg Festival in Pittsfield.

http://eggfest.craftah.com/

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
. . . and if the interest is a bit more cerebral Shakespeare's Macbeth is being performed in Brewer at Indian Trail park (also the site of a cache incidentally). I don't know much about this event other than the fact it starts at 8 p.m. and runs from July 20-22.

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
. . . or you can stop by Marden's and stock up on Rubbermaid cache containers since they have a bunch marked 50% off the original price. :D I'm thinking the "kids" probably would not be all that thrilled with this idea though.

Kaching Karen
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. Lots of good ideas!

hollora
07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
And there's a cache at the Indian Trail park!

firefighterjake
07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
And there's a cache at the Indian Trail park!

I think I mentioned that Lois! ;)

Hiram357
07-27-2006, 09:38 PM
while in Bangor, stopping by the coffee pot sandwich shop is a must! they've got the best darn tootin itallian sandwichs this side of the mason dixon line! and its cheap too!

dí76
07-27-2006, 09:47 PM
while in Bangor, stopping by the coffee pot sandwich shop is a must! they've got the best darn tootin itallian sandwichs this side of the mason dixon line! and its cheap too!

Uh OHHHH!!!!!!! Dont go in there and ask for an Italian, You would more than likely get glocked from behind the counter.

If you go in ask for a coffee pot:D :D

The guy behind the counter will tell you that it is not an italian

Hiram357
07-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Uh OHHHH!!!!!!! Dont go in there and ask for an Italian, You would more than likely get glocked from behind the counter.

If you go in ask for a coffee pot:D :D

The guy behind the counter will tell you that it is not an italian

haha, i've made that mistake before...i forgot about that, I usually get the ham and salami super deluxe. (word of wisdom, don't go around lunchtime... unless you like a long line on a hot sidewalk)

any idea how the sanwichs got to be called coffee pots?