View Full Version : Geocaching Maine Organization meeting/event

attroll
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
This is basically a question about our Geocaching Maine Organization. As you know we are already an Organization since our start on 22 June 2004. But we have never put it to use. So what we are going to do is schedule an event within the next couple of weeks hopefully on 06 August 2006 to talk about some issues and appointing an Organization representative.

We are hoping that one will find the time to come to this event and help us out with this.

In doing this it will not change the way the forums are run or anything of that nature. This is only to discuss assigning a representative for us and a point of contact for our organization.

Beach Comber
07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I am scheduled to work in the morning, but if it is in the afternoon or evening, I will be there!!

attroll
07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I am scheduled to work in the morning, but if it is in the afternoon or evening, I will be there!!
That is our plan. Well will know more this Friday. I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

Team2hunt
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
That's pretty short notice for such an important decision. Shouldn't we see how many can make that date before it is posted. I cannot make it that day, I'll be away in the mountains. Hopefully chasing after a waterfall or two. Nice idea!! Just really short notice.

Will this be ONE person or a steering committee made up of a few individuals?

I vote for Haffy!! Done deal. :)

brdad
07-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Sounds good.

hollora
07-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Will try to make it depending on time of day and location.

becket
07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
i will be there! i don't even care where it is or what time, i will be there.

d’76
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I nominate Bruce.

Mainiac1957
07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I second Bruce

Haffy
07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
?

I vote for Haffy!! Done deal. :)

Thanks T2H but I decline.

FuddsGirls
07-20-2006, 07:48 AM
That's a Sunday, church, and I'll have to go to Massachusetts to pick up my girls at some point that day. The later the better........ I'd like to make it:)

we3beans
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry, even if I'm not in the hospital, I won't be traveling more than 15 miles or so from the hospital. ;-)

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Sorry, even if I'm not in the hospital, I won't be traveling more than 15 miles or so from the hospital. ;-)

Where's your sense of adventure? ;) :D

Shoot . . . maybe we should bring you along on the Tread Lightly event and you can make an early delivery date with all the bouncing and jostling? ;) :D

team teebow
07-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Keep us posted. Tom and Andrew will be getting back from Boy Scout SUmmer Camp so depends on how tired the team is. We really would like to attend though. .

Rik, keep up the great work. We really do enjoy this site and ALL the geocaching friends we have met here.:D

we3beans
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Where's your sense of adventure? ;) :D

Shoot . . . maybe we should bring you along on the Tread Lightly event and you can make an early delivery date with all the bouncing and jostling? ;) :D\

you have no idea how much I wanted to go to this event...if only to meet you! (I really do want to go too, though). :(

firefighterjake
07-20-2006, 03:23 PM
\

you have no idea how much I wanted to go to this event...if only to meet you! (I really do want to go too, though). :(

Trust me I'm rather under-whelming to meet in the flesh and blood . . . my real personality shows up much better here.

becket
07-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Trust me I'm rather under-whelming to meet in the flesh and blood . . . my real personality shows up much better here.

jake, you are WAY too modest!

firefighterjake
07-21-2006, 10:42 AM
jake, you are WAY too modest!

I'm WAY too something . . . but it isn't modest! :D

WhereRWe?
07-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I think we need more than one person. Everyone knows I love to speak up, but would not want to be solely responsible for making decisions for the group.

I suggest a "steering committee" of 5 or so (you KNOW who you are!!!), and one point-of-contact/spokesman, who can turn to the "steering committee" for a consensus on GeocachingMaine positions.

:D :D

brdad
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Whatever we do, can we please not use the term "steering committee"? :confused: To me, it sounds like a steering committee's job is to steer the opinions of the members to suit their needs or desires.

Whoever we choose, be it one or ten, will hopefully never make decisions for the group, but instead make sure of the group's desires and make their decisions based on that. Again, I'd like to see a system where we can contact all members when the need arises.

attroll
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Whoever we choose, be it one or ten, will hopefully never make decisions for the group, but instead make sure of the group's desires and make their decisions based on that. Again, I'd like to see a system where we can contact all members when the need arises.
I agree with you Brdad. We are not going to elect anyone for the purpose of having control over the group. I foresee and this is my opinion because I can not say what the outcome will be. But this is what I foresee that we need to start out with. I only foresee maybe starting out with a representative/spokesmen and maybe a treasurer. The treasurer is really not needed because I do not foresee us charging to become a member of our organization we have not in the past and see no reason to in the future.

Bruce what do you think we we need a committee of 5 people for? 5 people is a lot to run an organization that is basically a organized web site/group. I am not asking this to be a smart ass. I want to hear you reasons?

Haffy
07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Oops I'm not Bruce.:) Anyway this is just my opinion but I see no need for any committee or group or whatever you want to call it. WE are the group and all I can see that we need is just a platform or some sort for a better word and some sort of documents that we can obtain either through here or download from here that explains what we are all about. Something that we could present to a landowner or land trust or private land owner that explains our main goals. Just make it simple and to the point. Maybe create a PDF format that we can download. Make it a brochure or whatever that explains what makes our organization and what we stand for. Just a few of my thoughts.

attroll
07-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Another purpose for this meeting will be to discuss our web site and how we all see our plans for it and where we want to go with it ect.

WhereRWe?
07-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Bruce what do you think we we need a committee of 5 people for? 5 people is a lot to run an organization that is basically a organized web site/group. I am not asking this to be a smart ass. I want to hear you reasons?

Nothing I can put my finger on right now - I'm just uncomfortable with one person being the spokeman for GeocachingMaine.

Let me see if I can articulate:

We have as many opinions about what geocaching should be like as we have members. If "the spokesman" got a request for information about caching (from the group's perspective - not a 1-on-1 interview like several of us have had), I'd probably disagree with a few of the things the spokesman said. That's why I think "the spokesman" should have a respected group he can consult with.

I'm thinking about subjects such as property access, etc. I know, WE FOLLOW THE RULES ON GEOCACHING.COM, but how many "urban micro caches" have we seen where obviously the cache owner didn't ask Wendy's if it was OK to place the cache in the light post? And WalMart or mall parking lots are NOT public property.

WhereRWe?
07-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Oops I'm not Bruce.:) Anyway this is just my opinion but I see no need for any committee or group or whatever you want to call it. WE are the group

Yes, and I remember how long it took "the group" to decide on a Maine geocoin! LOL! :p :p

This is a great forum for bringing out ideas. But sooner or later, SOMEONE (or a small group) is going to have to make a decision. And I don't think the online polls are the way to do it. :)

becket
07-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Whatever we do, can we please not use the term "steering committee"? :confused: To me, it sounds like a steering committee's job is to steer the opinions of the members to suit their needs or desires.

how about an "ad hoc" committee? these are formed to "fact find" and are temporary. i agree with brdad in that i also do not like the term "steering committee". many organizations have several ad hoc committees - usually one committee to looking into each issue that comes up. these committees then present their findings to the whole organization. another good thing about them is a person can choose to be on a committee for an issue that is most important to him/her. it is a good way to get more members involved.

RanMan22
07-22-2006, 09:05 AM
I think there are too many ideas being presented here all at once. To really decide on what should be done, I think we really must meet to discuss things. It's too difficult in forums to really hash out something this big, as far as I'm concerned.

-RanMan22

Haffy
07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
That's why an event is in the works.

Beach Comber
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
I think there are too many ideas being presented here all at once. To really decide on what should be done, I think we really must meet to discuss things. It's too difficult in forums to really hash out something this big, as far as I'm concerned.

-RanMan22

Meeting will be good, but tossiing out ideas in the interim and in preparation is a great thing. It helps to prepare and further stimulate thought around any given topic. Some like to have a spontaneous conversation, some like to mull an idea over in advance. Tossing things out here and following up with a meeting is the best of both worlds.

tat
07-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I think we could make a big step forward if we could just come up with a way to make decisions.

Northwoods Explorer
07-22-2006, 08:03 PM
It s a little cold up here so my brain doesn't work very well. I have been trying to figure out what you have been talking about with MGA so I read the whole thread and now I know MGA that you are talking about is not the Maritime Geocaching Association which is what I know MGA as for a number of years. Now things are a little clearer.:confused: What can I say.

Beach Comber
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I think we could make a big step forward if we could just come up with a way to make decisions.

I agree. We have haed a tough time for sure Group discussions through the website don't lend themselves to decision making, polls haven't worked, and even in person discussions haven't been all that successful.

Ad hoc committees hold potential from my perspective. Since the land issues remains a constant, perhaps there can be an ongoing "ad hoc" committee for that and others established as needed.

brdad
07-22-2006, 10:53 PM
We have had a tough time discussing some things, but we have seen elsewhere how not being willing to communicate will make things harder. We have to be able to answer questions directly even if means admitting we made errors. If we get caught avoiding questions with property owners or other entities, imagine how we would look. Case in point - Bessies Tale - it's a good thing that was handled maturely; good relations were made there.

Team2hunt
07-23-2006, 10:43 AM
My opinion is if you want to get something accomplished. You need to have a plan, or agenda. What do you want to discuss? And what do you want to accomplish by the discussion? I agree that there needs to be representation, if needed, of some sort of peolpe, persons, or committee, to answer any issues, that arise from the general public. I also see the need for some general, recommendations, that Maine geocachers can look to for good caching ettiquette. IMHO only.

Thanks to all who have made presentations to the public. I think these organizations just need to know, that these presentations are backed by the Maine geocaching population.

brdad
07-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I have jotted a few things down allready that I would like to have us discuss.

Firstly, it seems like we have an organization allready, we are just not very organized. So, what does it take to be where we want to be, and where do we want to be?

Next would be dues. IMO, if we can run on donations, why wouldn't we? If the time came that money was an issue, that could be discussed then.

I would be in favor of a person or persons for PR, and having ad-hoc committes to deal with any issues that would require them. Some people may want more than this, some may want less. There should be some basic standards for these roles prompting them to do their best. Like doing their best Answer questions truthfully and directly, and if are unsure of answer, admit it and consult the members for guidance, as well as being polite.

I think we should discuss having contact information available on the site. Contacts for someone that can speak for the web site itself,
as well as contacts for the PR and/or committees.

And again, I think it would be nice to work out some system where members can be contacted if a vote or other meaningfull issue comes up

WhereRWe?
07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Next would be dues. IMO, if we can run on donations, why wouldn't we? If the time came that money was an issue, that could be discussed then.

I agree. Requiring dues would scare some people away. It doesn't cost THAT much to run this site - and it's our only expense. Plus, if we ALL click on the advertisements at the bottom of the page, we'd need fewer donations! LOL!

I think we should discuss having contact information available on the site. Contacts for someone that can speak for the web site itself,
as well as contacts for the PR and/or committees.

Another great idea! :D :D

Haffy
07-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey it looks like this teamwork thing mentioned by Tat could actually work,it is already having an effect.....:D

ribnag
07-23-2006, 05:50 PM
WhereRWe? : Plus, if we ALL click on the advertisements at the bottom of the page, we'd need fewer donations! LOL!

Well, I don't know about clicking on them, but I'd donate to get rid of the ads... :D

Haffy
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
I never scroll down that far anyway.

attroll
07-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I agree. Requiring dues would scare some people away. It doesn't cost THAT much to run this site - and it's our only expense. Plus, if we ALL click on the advertisements at the bottom of the page, we'd need fewer donations! LOL!

Another great idea! :D :D

As of right now our server that we are hosting on cost us absolutely nothing and we have more then enough space and bandwidth and I never see us our gorwing it. The only reoccurring monies is for the web site software and that only cost us $80 per year from here on out.

With this said I agree as someone mentioned earlier. I see no need to have dues. The donation system should be fine.

we3beans
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
As of right now our server that we are hosting on cost us absolutely nothing and we have more then enough space and bandwidth and I never see us our gorwing it. The only reoccurring monies is for the web site software and that only cost us $80 per year from here on out.

With this said I agree as someone mentioned earlier. I see no need to have dues. The donation system should be fine.

Rick,
I agree, and understand what y'all are sayin'. I do think we need a treasurer if only because in 5 or 8 years, we're all going to be going along all happy like and some newbie, who doesn't know any of us is going to say he donated $1500 dollars and it was stolen or mismanaged. And I think it would be good protection for information regarding money to be handled by a treasurer and that it be public (via the website).
Just my opinion, but I've seen stuff like this go bad before, which is why I'm harping on it so much.

attroll
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Rick,
I agree, and understand what y'all are sayin'. I do think we need a treasurer if only because in 5 or 8 years, we're all going to be going along all happy like and some newbie, who doesn't know any of us is going to say he donated $1500 dollars and it was stolen or mismanaged. And I think it would be good protection for information regarding money to be handled by a treasurer and that it be public (via the website).
Just my opinion, but I've seen stuff like this go bad before, which is why I'm harping on it so much.
I was just pointing out we do not need to pay dues.

We can have a treasurer. I have no problem with that if that is what people want. I am not the one that is "the organization" you all are. It would not hurt to assign a full board of members anyways, even if there is no need for some of the postions.

Hiram357
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
when is the planned time and date for the event?

attroll
07-25-2006, 02:20 PM
I added a mission statement in the navigation bar. It is a standard geocaching mission statement and I received permission from the originator to use it and modify it. You can also view it here. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission

firefighterjake
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I added a mission statement in the navigation bar. It is a standard geocaching mission statement and I received permission from the originator to use it and modify it. You can also view it here. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=gmmission

Our five year mission . . . to boldly cache where no one has cached before? . . . (cue Star Trek music here) :D