View Full Version : Kennebec River Rail Trail Cache gone for good

Geomaineiacs
09-25-2004, 11:33 AM
The cache disappeared sometime in the last month so I have archived it. Mine has been taken/trashed twice, and a previous cache on the trail was also taken. There has been a lot of vandalism along the trail lately, so I think it probably isn't a good place for one. :(

Geochicks
09-25-2004, 05:47 PM
It's a great place for one, but with the HEAVY HEAVY traffic it gets I am not surprised that it was taken. Thanks for your efforts and I wish we had had time to find it before it was taken.

Beach Comber
09-26-2004, 08:29 AM
That's frustrating! It's a great place for a cache and for walking - it's too bad there has to be such disrespect and disregard by a small number of individuals who end up leaving a negative mark that the rest of us have to pay the consequences for.

Haffy
09-26-2004, 08:59 AM
:( And I really enjoyed that cache. All it takes is a few bad apples to spoil it for everyone. Hope this doesn't discourage you from putting out any more caches though,maybe in a safer place with less chance of muggles around. Thanks for the hide anyway. Haffy6

Mainepod
09-29-2004, 07:56 AM
I haven't yet walked the trail, but I wonder if a micro cache or a clever multi cache (are there any markers or items with numbers??) would be suitable. Having geocached in Chicago and fort myers, there are clever ways to hide small caches, and if a micro gets taken, it's much less of an investment.

Geochicks
09-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I haven't yet walked the trail, but I wonder if a micro cache or a clever multi cache (are there any markers or items with numbers??) would be suitable.

I think the cache was a multi. It's tough because there is HEAVY traffic all the time, there are markers along the way, but there isn't much hiding space since it's right next to the river. On the other side if the railroad there is a tall wall with plenty of hiding places, but there is also a sign that says crossing the tracks is a $500 fine. So, it is tough to host a cache there. We lost one there about a year ago. But a micro.. ummm, there's a thought, but with the traffic, it's still tough.

WhereRWe?
09-30-2004, 07:27 AM
I think the cache was a multi. It's tough because there is HEAVY traffic all the time, there are markers along the way, but there isn't much hiding space since it's right next to the river. On the other side if the railroad there is a tall wall with plenty of hiding places, but there is also a sign that says crossing the tracks is a $500 fine. So, it is tough to host a cache there. We lost one there about a year ago. But a micro.. ummm, there's a thought, but with the traffic, it's still tough.

Say what? A $50 fine for crossing railroad tracks? I've never heard of that. Very unusual!

Haffy
09-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Say what? A $50 fine for crossing railroad tracks? I've never heard of that. Very unusual!
Not really,you have to remember that the railroad tracks are private property. And there is the liability issue with trespassing but having worked on the railroad for a number of years it is something that is very rarely if ever enforced. As far as the tracks down in Hallowell, well those are pretty much abandoned now and I can't remember when the last train traveled down them. That is why they have the sidewalk running alongside.And it is mentioned $500.00 and not $50.00 as you mentioned Bruce.. JFYI

Geochicks
10-01-2004, 06:21 AM
As far as the tracks down in Hallowell, well those are pretty much abandoned now and I can't remember when the last train traveled down them. That is why they have the sidewalk running alongside.And it is mentioned $500.00 and not $50.00 as you mentioned Bruce.. JFYI

1983, I think.

Yeah, it's $500.00 not $50.00 So, yes, there are some great places to hide a cache in the stone/rock wall. If you cross the tracks. I had a cache (maybe we all have) where I had to walk down some tracks, but there was no sign. This is clearly marked several times. and I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone getting a $500.00 fine. If so, caching would be very expensive.

WhereRWe?
10-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Either $50 or $500 - it's still crazy (and sheesh! It's was just a typo)!

But I think if the sign is an issue, you could contact Guilford Rail, get the "OK" to allow track crossing at that point (even if everyone knows there will never be a trail over that stretch again), and make the permission known in the cache listing. We visited a cache in New Brunswick where you had to walk down a set of LIVE tracks for a way. The cache owner cautioned cachers to "watch for trains"! :D

Geomaineiacs
10-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Actually, there is a lot of accessible wooded land at certain locations on the river side. Where my cache was happened to be where many people (teens partying? fisherman?) cut down to the river. One approach would be to find a remote spot near the river where no one goes. I have an idea for a small, theme-based cache. I was also thinking about making it a member-only. What do you all think about member-only caches?

WhereRWe?
10-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Actually, there is a lot of accessible wooded land at certain locations on the river side. Where my cache was happened to be where many people (teens partying? fisherman?) cut down to the river. One approach would be to find a remote spot near the river where no one goes. I have an idea for a small, theme-based cache. I was also thinking about making it a member-only. What do you all think about member-only caches?

Great idea! I don't think I've ever seen one in Maine.

Haffy
10-01-2004, 09:07 PM
There was a member only cache but I can't exactly remember where it was,maybe up in the Bangor area if I'm not mistaken or downeast somewhere but I think it was archived.Personally,myself I like to see this activity open to all people but that's just my opinion. I was hoping maybe someone would have taken over the Benedict Arnold cache along the tracks in Hallowell. Has anyone down in that area know of the one I am referring to? Maybe that would be a good question to ask everybody here as to their thoughts on members only caches?

Geomaineiacs
10-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I did the only members-only up in Ellsworth this summer and found it trashed. It was located at a very busy fishing spot. It has not been replaced. Considering that the Augusta-area cache trashers who were kicked off GC.com live in the area and may check the website for easy victims, I am reluctant to place a public access one on the rail trail.

I did do the Benedict Arnold one when it was active. Nice spot on the river but the walk to it was not very inspiring. I would prefer the rail trail if I set up a new one on the river in Hallowell.

There are some many public access caches (in fact, all of them in Maine!) that I don't see the harm of a few members-only.

Haffy
10-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm not against members only caches but just think that everyone should be involved. If that is the only way that you think another KRRT cache could be maintained then I say go for it and hopefully I'll be the FTF.......lol

WhereRWe?
11-01-2004, 06:26 PM
There was a member only cache but I can't exactly remember where it was,maybe up in the Bangor area if I'm not mistaken or downeast somewhere but I think it was archived.

I just checked and there is currently only 1 active "members only" cache in Maine - down near Kittery. The one near Ellsworth is still inactive.
:rolleyes:

Beach Comber
11-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Members only might be a great way to have a cache along the trail. Best to place it in a very different area perhaps. It seems that there are a number of good places along the trail. Would be great to see one along the trail again.