View Full Version : RE: Maybe it's time for new software

firefighterjake
07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
This past weekend I was riding on the ATV and of course I had my Magellan with me. As some of you know originally I purchased this GPSr because I was tired of getting lost. For the past year I've really liked the software that came with the bundle -- Mapsend Direct Route -- and found few faults . . . until Saturday.

On Saturday we stopped beside Deer Lake which is a pretty significant body of water and my software did not show the lake . . . whereas another member of the ATV Club showed this lake and several others that my software failed to show.

While I love the DirectRoute software as it allows me to auto-route (turn by turn directions to waypoints) I'm thinking that since I also purchased this unit for use in the woods maybe I should get some new software for use while ATVing, hiking, etc.

So here's my questions . . .

1. Does anyone have experience with Mapsend Topo (3D or the older versions)?

2. Does anyone have experience with Delorme's Topo USA-East?

I'm curious what folks think of these programs -- good or bad. Delorme is quite a bit cheaper.

Finally, a question for Magellan users most likely, can we switch back and forth between software systems? For example, can I use my Direct Route software for caching and then use topo software for ATVing and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing?

becket
07-31-2006, 11:09 AM
i can't answer any of your other questions, but i do have mapsend topo - and i like it.

This past weekend I was riding on the ATV and of course I had my Magellan with me. As some of you know originally I purchased this GPSr because I was tired of getting lost. For the past year I've really liked the software that came with the bundle -- Mapsend Direct Route -- and found few faults . . . until Saturday.

On Saturday we stopped beside Deer Lake which is a pretty significant body of water and my software did not show the lake . . . whereas another member of the ATV Club showed this lake and several others that my software failed to show.

While I love the DirectRoute software as it allows me to auto-route (turn by turn directions to waypoints) I'm thinking that since I also purchased this unit for use in the woods maybe I should get some new software for use while ATVing, hiking, etc.

So here's my questions . . .

1. Does anyone have experience with Mapsend Topo (3D or the older versions)?

2. Does anyone have experience with Delorme's Topo USA-East?

I'm curious what folks think of these programs -- good or bad. Delorme is quite a bit cheaper.

Finally, a question for Magellan users most likely, can we switch back and forth between software systems? For example, can I use my Direct Route software for caching and then use topo software for ATVing and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing?

firefighterjake
07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
i can't answer any of your other questions, but i do have mapsend topo - and i like it.

So how do you figure out how to get to the cache site . . . by looking at the Delorme maps? Currently my DirectRoute software will auto-route me to the street closest to the cache which is a handy feature.

becket
07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
So how do you figure out how to get to the cache site . . . by looking at the Delorme maps? Currently my DirectRoute software will auto-route me to the street closest to the cache which is a handy feature.

mine does auto route, also. yes, i use the delorme maps. i won't say how many times i got lost before i put this all together. :rolleyes: :D