View Full Version : RE: Well I did it again . . .

firefighterjake
08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Next week I may be geocaching/camping with my younger brother Brian so I decided today to purchase a second GPSr so that we can both search together without one or the other of us being GPSr-less . . . plus I figured having a second, newer unit can't hurt things when hiding and seeking the cache.

I actually took a look at some of the Garmins, but in the end I went with a Magellan Explorist 210 to complement my Magellan Meridian Color. The Explorist is a heckuva lot smaller than my Meridian and has most of the features that I want in a "back-up" unit -- i.e. I can load mapping software (albeit not as much of a map as my Meridian), the price was just over $150 and it's set up pretty similiar to the Meridian so there's little to no learning curve.

OK, let the Magellan insults and slurs begin . . . ;) :D :rolleyes:

dí76
08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Next week I may be geocaching/camping with my younger brother Brian so I decided today to purchase a second GPSr so that we can both search together without one or the other of us being GPSr-less . . . plus I figured having a second, newer unit can't hurt things when hiding and seeking the cache.

I actually took a look at some of the Garmins, but in the end I went with a Magellan Explorist 210 to complement my Magellan Meridian Color. The Explorist is a heckuva lot smaller than my Meridian and has most of the features that I want in a "back-up" unit -- i.e. I can load mapping software (albeit not as much of a map as my Meridian), the price was just over $150 and it's set up pretty similiar to the Meridian so there's little to no learning curve.

Sighhhh, just when I thought there was hope. At least did you buy it locally.

becket
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
I actually took a look at some of the Garmins, but in the end I went with a Magellan Explorist 210 to complement my Magellan Meridian Color.

oh, i want one! i have been looking at the explorist for a while now. if i get another gps, that is what i would get. let me know how wonderful it is!:D ;)

RanMan22
08-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Well, it's no fun if you ask us for the insult! It needs to happen when you aren't expecting it!! :D :D

-RanMan22

Hiram357
08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
*sigh* I don't know you..... :rolleyes:

brdad
08-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Well, it's no fun if you ask us for the insult! It needs to happen when you aren't expecting it!! :D :D

-RanMan22

Speaking of which, how did you do at the Hand and Foot Tournament?

Weren't expecting that, were you? :D :rolleyes: :D

RanMan22
08-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Speaking of which, how did you do at the Hand and Foot Tournament?

Weren't expecting that, were you? :D :rolleyes: :D

That has nothing to do with Geocaching, so you are OFF-TOPIC! Shhhh!
:D :D

-RanMan22

firefighterjake
08-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Sighhhh, just when I thought there was hope. At least did you buy it locally.

Kind of . . . sort of . . . I got it at Circuit City (I don't know if you would consider them "local") for $149 before taxes. The best price I could find on line at retail shops (as opposed to private sales on e-bay) was $136 and I figured once you figured in shipping it would come pretty close to the same price . . . plus I like the instant gratification and not having to wait. I checked out the Map Store on line, but they didn't have this product.

WhereRWe?
08-02-2006, 07:37 AM

No, no... No slurs or insults. Just great disappointment that we've failed with you... ;) ;)

firefighterjake
08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
No, no... No slurs or insults. Just great disappointment that we've failed with you... ;) ;)

If it's any consolation I looked at those new high-winder Garmin models, but I just couldn't bring myself to drop $400+ on a GPSr when my ol' Magellan Meridian works fine . . . I really needed to get a simple back-up model without a lot of doo-dads and whistles and so I opted for the Explorist210. But the point is, I did actually look at a Garmin.

becket
08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
But the point is, I did actually look at a Garmin.

:eek: :eek: :eek: i may have to rethink our friendship! :D

firefighterjake
08-02-2006, 09:19 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: i may have to rethink our friendship! :D

Hey now . . . I'm a guy . . . we often look, but know our limits and know what we should and shouldn't do and we can be quite faithful . . . which explains why I opted for a Magellan in the end.:D

becket
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey now . . . I'm a guy . . . we often look, but know our limits and know what we should and shouldn't do and we can be quite faithful . . . which explains why I opted for a Magellan in the end.:D

good answer, jake! you have been redeemed. :D

hollora
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
becket - found your cache today with my Garmin :D

Hiram357
08-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Where did we go wrong Bruce? We try to teach them right from wrong, try to bring them up right, and just when you think they're on the right track... they just turn around and slap you in the face.... :( :rolleyes:

Hiram357
08-02-2006, 10:46 PM
But the point is, I did actually look at a Garmin.

yeah, and I looked at all the vegetables for dinner....
(point... looking doesn't do you any good.) :D

The G Team
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Jake, I think we need to unite and organize a support group for Magellan users. Perhaps a march of some sort to bring attention to the problem of Magellan user oppression and defamation.

I say, stand up tall! We dare to be different and continue to use our Magellans in the face of scorn and disrespect by other geocachers.

So head up, chest out, and proudly follow your Magellan to the next cache, fellow Magellan users!

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Jake, I think we need to unite and organize a support group for Magellan users. Perhaps a march of some sort to bring attention to the problem of Magellan user oppression and defamation.

I say, stand up tall! We dare to be different and continue to use our Magellans in the face of scorn and disrespect by other geocachers.

So head up, chest out, and proudly follow your Magellan to the next cache, fellow Magellan users!

haha, if you guys have a march you should only let one person carry the GPS... that way at least you'll all be heading in the same direction! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Haffy
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Ha Ha Ha Good one Hiram!!!! :D :D :D

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
haha, if you guys have a march you should only let one person carry the GPS... that way at least you'll all be heading in the same direction! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Hey now . . . I've been good and haven't mentioned the fact that you and your Garmin boomeranged past the Old Canada Road cache on the TL 2006 event . . . I suppose you could blame that on your navigator though!

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey now . . . I've been good and haven't mentioned the fact that you and your Garmin boomeranged past the Old Canada Road cache on the TL 2006 event . . . I suppose you could blame that on your navigator though!

that wasn't my garmin, that was my Delorme Earthmate :p :p :p (I haven't been too impressed with it lately):(

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
that wasn't my garmin, that was my Delorme Earthmate :p :p :p (I haven't been too impressed with it lately):(

I see . . . it did seem pretty handy though in mapping out routes with possible caches along the way.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
I see . . . it did seem pretty handy though in mapping out routes with possible caches along the way.

It's really handy when it comes to that, and finding out which caches you're closest too, but when it comes down to the accuracy of the roads (not the GPSr) on the map, you pretty much have to learn to not trust it and start to keep an eye out when you're coming up to your turns and destinations. (the roads aren't always where the map says they are... which is kinda depressing for the Maine maps considering their world headquarters are only 60mi south of here!)

firefighterjake
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
It's really handy when it comes to that, and finding out which caches you're closest too, but when it comes down to the accuracy of the roads (not the GPSr) on the map, you pretty much have to learn to not trust it and start to keep an eye out when you're coming up to your turns and destinations. (the roads aren't always where the map says they are... which is kinda depressing for the Maine maps considering their world headquarters are only 60mi south of here!)

Rather surprising . . . especially considering how the DeLorme can be found in just about every serious Mainer's truck, camp, etc.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Rather surprising . . . especially considering how the DeLorme can be found in just about every serious Mainer's truck, camp, etc.

I think it's just their software (i've never had issues with the atlas) but the new Rt 3 in Augusta doesn't even show up!

Haffy
08-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Thats because it is so new I would think.

Hiram357
08-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Thats because it is so new I would think.

but its in the delorme atlas, and my software is a 2006 edition, and the new rt 3 is in last years atlas too... :confused: :confused: :confused: (maybe they should just stick to paper maps)