View Full Version : The times they are a changing.

vicbiker
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Has anyone notice the little changes that are going on?The flowers of late summer are in blossom,Joe-Pie-Weed,Milkweed,even the Goldenrod is starting to bloom.Today while walking on the Messolonskee stream I saw some Meganseers swimming in the sream.Couldn't tell the ducklings from the parents.In Emdem there was some white maple leaves changing color.

I think this means summer is going to be replace by fall shortly.Not that there is anything wrong with that.Its just that summer hasn't hardly been here,with all the rain we have had.Just my observations from Maine number one town.

Hiram357
08-05-2006, 09:28 PM
The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last...

yeah, I started noticing things like that today too... it won't be long now, but we've still got at least 2 months left to go :D

Starzz
08-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I have flowers thats not suppose to turn purple until early autumn, and they are purple already. I also noticed a few small trees dropping their leaves. I hope this doesnt mean we'll have an early & long winter!! :confused:

Hiram357
08-05-2006, 10:45 PM
I have flowers thats not suppose to turn purple until early autumn, and they are purple already. I also noticed a few small trees dropping their leaves. I hope this doesnt mean we'll have an early & long winter!! :confused:

WOO HOO! MAYBE WE"LL GET SNOW THIS YEAR! :D :D :D

attroll
08-05-2006, 11:35 PM
WOO HOO! MAYBE WE"LL GET SNOW THIS YEAR! :D :D :D
I sure hope so.

vicbiker
08-06-2006, 05:45 AM
WOO HOO! MAYBE WE"LL GET SNOW THIS YEAR! :D :D :DBecause you snowshoe:) or snowmobile?:rolleyes:

ribnag
08-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Starzz : I have flowers thats not suppose to turn purple until early autumn, and they are purple already.

I've also already seen apple trees dropping fruit, in the first week of August! Weird.

As for winter - Well, I'd like to actually get some snow for a change, but I worry more about a string of mild winters - A lot of the nastier insects we consider ourselves immune to this far North will start appearing, such as termites, anopheles mosquitos (the ones that carry malaria), deer ticks, perhaps even chiggers.

Ugh.

Hiram357
08-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Because you snowshoe:) or snowmobile?:rolleyes: Yes because I snowshoe, and yes when someone is foolish enough to let me use thier sled! :D :D :D (Snowshoing... the poormans snowmobile :) )

vicbiker
08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Yes because I snowshoe, and yes when someone is foolish enough to let me use thier sled! :D :D :D (Snowshoing... the poormans snowmobile :) )Great ,if we ever do have a winter again,you'll have come up.We have a five mile trail on Russel mt.and we snowshoe Barren Mt. on the AT.Borestone is another quick winter hike and if you like to really punish yourself there is always Bigelow Mt.We have a group of seven or eight of us who smowshoe most every weekend.

In someways I can't wait,but lets not hurry the seasons,they all have so much to offer.

Hiram357
08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Great ,if we ever do have a winter again,you'll have come up.We have a five mile trail on Russel mt.and we snowshoe Barren Mt. on the AT.Borestone is another quick winter hike and if you like to really punish yourself there is always Bigelow Mt.We have a group of seven or eight of us who smowshoe most every weekend.

In someways I can't wait,but lets not hurry the seasons,they all have so much to offer.

sounds like fun! I punished myself pretty good last winter, I had to snowshoe up Bald Mt. in Rangeley about 5 times. (and yes there was snow there, about 2' at the shallowest and about 6' at the deepest) :D

Starzz
08-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Because you snowshoe:) or snowmobile?:rolleyes:

I got my snowshoes out once last winter. I just went around the house, there wasnt really enough snow then, but I had to have them out just once!

Slate
08-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Some of the best geocaching of the whole year is coming up. Cooler days, less mud on the trails, and best of all fewer mosquitoes.

Kacky
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
My snowshoes are still out! Hopes springs eternal...

Smitty & Co.
08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
It sounds like you may have enough interest to host a snowshoe event, maybe some would be interested in winter camping as well. Just a thought. :)

attroll
08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
It sounds like you may have enough interest to host a snowshoe event, maybe some would be interested in winter camping as well. Just a thought. :)
That sounds interesteing. Snowshoeing and winter camping.

Mainiac1957
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes that would peak my interest for sure. Just hope we get some snbow this year.

WhereRWe?
08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Some of the best geocaching of the whole year is coming up. Cooler days, less mud on the trails, and best of all fewer mosquitoes.

YES, YES, and YES!!! :D :D

vicbiker
08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
It sounds like you may have enough interest to host a snowshoe event, maybe some would be interested in winter camping as well. Just a thought. :)I think you may be right,we could have a snowshoe caching weekend with winter camping for those who want .:)

Cause everyone thinks they would like to winter camp in august,we'll have to se how much interest in December or January.:eek:

Hiram357
08-07-2006, 11:05 PM
I think you may be right,we could have a snowshoe caching weekend with winter camping for those who want .:)

Cause everyone thinks they would like to winter camp in august,we'll have to se how much interest in December or January.:eek:

I've been wanting to winter camp for quite a while, I just don't have the gear for it...yet. :D

vicbiker
08-08-2006, 05:36 AM
That excuse isn't going to work!!:rolleyes:I've got most everything you need.I have a extra all season tent,zero degree LL bean bag,plenty of self inflating mats.Also have an extra stove and even a spare pack.I even have spare pair of tubb's snowshoes.

The first over night I like to do close to home,so all the gear can be checked out.Also so you could go home to Mommy if you got cold,unless you are planning to bring her with you!!:D:D:D

vicbiker
08-08-2006, 05:50 AM
That sounds interesteing. Snowshoeing and winter camping.You were talking about the hundred mile wilderness the other day.Blaine (he bicycled across the country with me)and myself have been talking about snow shoeing it.Figure it would take us 10-14 days to complete the trip.Hard to carry all the food you would need to replace the calories you would be burning in the cold.

Thought about food caches that we would put out in the fall or some kind of support system.Maybe some one meeting us with a snowsled at a desinated place.To much to do,to little time!!

Hiram357
08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
That excuse isn't going to work!! geeze vic, you need to pay attention more... did you notice the "YET" part of the comment??? :p and my moms busy that week... :(

Hiram357
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
You were talking about the hundred mile wilderness the other day.Blaine (he bicycled across the country with me)and myself have been talking about snow shoeing it.Figure it would take us 10-14 days to complete the trip.Hard to carry all the food you would need to replace the calories you would be burning in the cold.

Thought about food caches that we would put out in the fall or some kind of support system.Maybe some one meeting us with a snowsled at a desinated place.To much to do,to little time!!

FRY BREAD!! :D

Yeehawma
08-08-2006, 10:11 PM
vicbiker, your description of the subtle season changes is just plain depressing! I have been vividly reminded of what I am missing. I chose Maine in July this year and am missing all of the early fall colors. No matter when I make my annual visit, I always miss something. I'll have to enjoy it through someone else's words and photos this year. Take lots of pictures on the showshoe event!

vicbiker
08-09-2006, 06:00 AM
vicbiker, your description of the subtle season changes is just plain depressing! I have been vividly reminded of what I am missing. I chose Maine in July this year and am missing all of the early fall colors. No matter when I make my annual visit, I always miss something. I'll have to enjoy it through someone else's words and photos this year. Take lots of pictures on the showshoe event!I've had days in northern Florida doing the fleemarket circuit when it was cold enough to snowshoe.We were in Atlanta in the early nineties when they got that 16" snowstorm.We left there and headed to Mt.Dora,Florida,there was snow right to the border.,So you never know this could be your year!!!

I'll send you pictures along with a copy of the oil bill..:(