View Full Version : New Maine geocaching web site

The Shadow
08-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Is another Maine geocaching web site considered a milestone. www.mainegeocachers.net (http://www.mainegeocachers.net)

Beach Comber
08-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Can you share a bit about the intentions of your site? Are you interested in establishing another organization? Are your plans to use the website as an additional resource to cachers in the state? etc.

My intention of the questions is not to present opposition in any way - am just curious. Thanks!

brdad
08-13-2006, 05:30 AM
My first guess it's the MGA, who have decided to make a fresh start. Not that it's a bad thing, they have had a rough month. Why else would they create a new account here to announce it?

Anyway, what's there looks nice, but it would be nice to know what your plans are.

I don't want to make any unfounded accusations, but at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement (http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx). But, perhaps you got permission to use it?

Best of luck with the site, it'll be interesting to see how this site develops.

ribnag
08-13-2006, 05:49 AM
brdad : at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement (http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx).

At first glance, I'd agree. On closer examination, it appears they recreated the little coughing-man from scratch (different angles, different line styles, and he has "turned his head and cough"ed rather than straight-on as in groundspeak's version. :cool:

Though, as I understand it (IANAL), "confusingly similar" matters more in trademark disputes than actual source material (which would infringe copyright rather than trademark). :confused:

In any event, let's not go attacking the poor guys before they've done anything wrong. I always (try to) ignore people's known previous online aliases (unless they troll specifically by making new names every other post), to give them a chance to change their ways. :)

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
08-13-2006, 07:13 AM
I don't want to make any unfounded accusations, but at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement (http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx). But, perhaps you got permission to use it?

Not to mention a couple violations to the user agreement of this site... LOL:D :D

General Rules...

1. You will adhere to the User Agreement at all times

6. You will not make posts that are inflammatory with the perceived intent to rile people up (i.e. "trolling" and "flaming" are prohibited).

10. You will not hijack threads for your own purpose but, rather, will begin a new thread with the new subject.

11. You will not link to images on other websites unless you have authorization to do so. This kind of "hot linking" is stealing the bandwidth of the server you link from, and is not appreciated.

21. You will not register more than one Member account without prior approval of an Administrator.

Love it or hate it, these are the rules to live by, User Agreements (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=agreement). :eek: :eek: :eek:

All the little things aside, I hope the new site works out for the owners, whoever they may be, MuHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!

WhereRWe?
08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
My question would be: Who is "The Shadow"? Is it a known geocacher? Does he(?) have any geocaching experience? What is the purpose of a third(?) Maine geocaching web site? :confused: :confused:

Mainelyroses
08-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Is another Maine geocaching web site considered a milestone. www.mainegeocachers.net (http://www.mainegeocachers.net)

The following is simply MY opinion, and may or may not echo the thoughts of other members of our Geocaching Maine website.

When I first saw this thread my first thought was that someone with a great sense of humor had done a parody of recent events..but no. Instead I went to the site and the first thing I read was MORE site bashing, finger pointing, and an attempt to undermine the work that has been done here to create a friendly place for all geocachers. If the TRUE purpose of a new site was to promote geocaching, it failed miserably. Wouldn't it have been more in the interest of geocaching to simply state THEIR goals and leave the other sites out of it?

I certainly cannot even BEGIN to respect all the anonymity of the "administrators" of the site. I was going to send an e-mail to "the Shadow" but, to make things even worse, they are not accepting e-mails. Why on earth should anyone be afraid to say who they are? Good grief! Ours is a GEOCACHING site, not a secret society with a hidden agenda to take over the world.

Another thing I object to is that if any newcomer to geocaching in Maine finds that site they will be left with a really bad opinion of what we are all about. I certainly hope that people aren't fooled by that pretty little picture on their homepage.

Rose
:( :( :( :( :(

d’76
08-13-2006, 08:40 AM
heres what i gather from all of this.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=2facb223-e207-497e-918c-f0f99f9f5bdd

Are these the types of shadows we want in the back ground trying to run another maine website.

Gob-ler
08-13-2006, 08:40 AM
The MGA has nothing to do with this. We have been busy working on the Geo Rallye.

Sorry to disappoint and surprised you would even suggest it.

Too bad we all just can't get along.

Team2hunt
08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
To me this looks like nothing more than a poor joke and a hoax. I am so sick of all of this, with the exception of a the few of you, and you know who you are. I am going caching by myself, and doing it MY WAY, by MY RULES. And there's nothing anyone can do to stop me. I am a considerate cacher, that loves a good cache. Thanks for allowing me your time to read this and the space to write it. Hope to see some of you on the trails soon.

J_Cyr
08-13-2006, 09:54 AM
LOL... that is pointless!

Oh and want to see something even funnier?

Check out the members!

http://www.mainegeocachers.net/forum/memberlist.php lol!!

The Shadow
08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I am not the admin of that web site. So I can not speak for them. I personally do not know the admin as I stated in the welcome forum on the Maine geocachers web site. I have dedicated myself to helping them as much as I can. From chatting with the admin they have told me that this site is a no nonsense site. There will be no profanity and insults tolerated as has been done on the other two Maine web sites in the past. They were pretty straight forward about that when making that statement to me. I think that was their intent when they started the web site from what I have understood in chatting with them. I can honestly say that I agree with that. I will probably get flamed here for posting this but I am not going to get involved in any back and forth arguing about it. I am just answering what I think I know or understand from chatting with them.

They also told me they will not establish an organization because geocaching is a free hobby/sport and they truly feel there is no need for an organization here in Maine. I will not go into that you; will have to take that up with them. This is just what I was told and I do honestly agree.

The Shadow
08-13-2006, 10:33 AM
heres what i gather from all of this.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=2facb223-e207-497e-918c-f0f99f9f5bdd

Are these the types of shadows we want in the back ground trying to run another maine website.
Sorry this is not me.

WhereRWe?
08-13-2006, 10:40 AM
There will be no profanity and insults tolerated as has been done on the other two Maine web sites in the past.

Sorry to correct you, but profanity and insults have NEVER been TOLERATED on this web site. :D :D

Perhaps your definition of "tolerated" may differ, but because something happenes does not mean it's "tolerated".

And you keep using the words "they" and "them". Isn't "admin" just one person (him/her), as stated in your welcome on the site? And it seems strange that you would make such an effort on a site without knowing who was behind it. Very unusual.

Smitty & Co.
08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I also find this kinda odd and unusual. :confused: Mr. Shadow, if I may ask.......why have you chosen our site to make your anouncement and nothing has been mentioned over on the MGA forums? It sounds as if you've had problems with both these other sites but have only chosen one to make your statement. Care to enlighten us?

The G Team
08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Wow, using a third party service to protect the identity of the domain registrar (see here: http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/LegalAgreement.aspx). I guess it REALLY IS run by the "Shadow"! One wonders why this level of secrecy is necessary for a simple geocaching website?

Cache Maine
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Wow, using a third party service to protect the identity of the domain registrar (see here: http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/LegalAgreement.aspx). I guess it REALLY IS run by the "Shadow"! One wonders why this level of secrecy is necessary for a simple geocaching website?

I saw that as well. I had to resort to comparing IP addresses in order to widdle my list down to a couple of possibilities.

WhereRWe?
08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I saw that as well. I had to resort to comparing IP addresses in order to widdle my list down to a couple of possibilities.

And??? ;) ;)

Gob-ler
08-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I'll state this again, I am not aware that anyone from the MGA is involved with this. Why here and not there I do not know.

My advice would be to just ignore it and let it be. No responses to the post will send a big big message.

d’76
08-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Sorry this is not me.

OK sooooo, tell us a bit about you and your numbers and your experiance, its hard for any of us to by into such nonsense when there is notheing to back it up. And it sounds wierd that you would come here to advertise when all of us had to chance to leave this web site before and chose to stay.

Good luck with your crusade.:p

Cache Maine
08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
And??? ;) ;)

Nothing....absolutely nothing. :( I wish them well, whoever they are!

WhereRWe?
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Nothing....absolutely nothing. :(

Good! I checked it out too and didn't find anything. Thought maybe I'd missed something! LOL! :D :D

attroll
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
The Shadow has asked to be deleted from our web site. So I have deleted them as they requested. They gave some long draw out explanation and I just honored there request. Maybe this will be the last we hear from them.

With that said. I do not know what there true intentions were, but we were awful quick to jump down there throats weren't we? I think we should have shown a good welcome and supported them. Whether they would have succeeded or failed we sure do not need to show that we did not support them or that is how I thought it looked from what I read.

This is what I am talking about when I wanted a board. We need to discuss what we think should and should not be allowed on this web site. This was a good example. Are we going to jump down someones case for trying to run a web site or for minor things all the time. I know we are very protective of our web site here. I am also, but we have to be careful at how we present ourselves to everyone else.

I will step off my podium now.

attroll
08-13-2006, 04:06 PM
And??? ;) ;)
They had some of the same IP's as many others here on the web site. I am not going to list them all because then we would all be questioning each other.

WhereRWe?
08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
With that said. I do not know what there true intentions were, but we were awful quick to jump down there throats weren't we? I think we should have shown a good welcome and supported them. Whether they would have succeeded or failed we sure do not need to show that we did not support them or that is how I thought it looked from what I read.

I don't think anyone was "jumping down someone's throat". I see that a lot of questions were asked, which one would expect when a THIRD Maine geocaching website is established, and again, no answers were forthcoming. :confused: :confused:

J_Cyr
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Rick -- the only reason we questioned him so hard was because... he was a brand new member, it was his first post, he didn't even tell us who he was.. just "there is a new maine website." So basically, telling us, goodbye this one, hello new one.

He could have introduced himself, told us who started the website and why, having seen this and all... just more important things, besides only saying a few words, here is a new maine website.

Just my $.02

tlarson
08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Rick is right; it was pretty embarrassing to see some of the responses to the potential of a different site. If I were a new member and received that kind of reception I would certainly ask to be removed from the site. A new member should not have to prove anything. Just because someone is new does not mean that they can not contribute valuable information to a site, or provide a different view. I looked over the site and it had some interesting articles that I have never seen on here or the other site. The more sites there are on a subject the more chance there is that you will come across something useful. Each site contributes something different, because different people will fit in better at different sites, and if you visit each of the sites you have the benefit of knowledge from people you might not otherwise get to talk to. Now because of the rude response from this site we may be missing out on that.

We (this site and the other) are not all of the Geocachers that there are in Maine, but let us at least represent our respective sites and the population of this state site in a positive manner instead of jumping on someone new making them prove themselves. It is our job to prove to them that this is a good place to come we are worthy of any knowledge they wish to share. A forum is nothing without members.

I for one would have liked to see a new site up and running. I do not agree with policies and the administration of the MGA, and I have not been very impressed with the tone and attitudes around this site for the past couple of months. So it would have been nice to check out a fresh site for Maine Geocaching, so thanks for showing the new person a very warm GC Maine welcome. :(

brdad
08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
I think this is one of those threads that should just be deleted. Personally, I still think it was a setup. If not, then I'd suggest they continue on with their work and let the visitors decide.

I would suggest anyone starting any kind of a group or web site of any topic in the future be prepared to answer questions, perhaps some they may not want to answer. Anyone is free to ask me any questions concerning my web sites. I'd hope that for now the moderators, and in the future any board members of this site would be willing to answer any questions concerning GeocachingMaine's intentions. It's the proper way to deal with new clients and the public in general no matter what the group, organization, or buisness is.

If a guy is selling something and he's not willing to say if the product is authentic or admit it's origin or any other questions, doesn't it raise suspision in most people?

TeamHorwich
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
the whole thing does seem more than a little suspect...went to that site today just to see what the deal was and this is what I found...

"It seems that this site was set to fail from the start because of a certain group of individuals that think they are better then everyone else.
Seems to be the same story but a different web site..
I don't know if we will be back or not, stay tuned..."

I'm not even sure what that means and it seems pretty disingenuous. Too bad the only point seemed to be to upset people. Good riddance.

WhereRWe?
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
the whole thing does seem more than a little suspect...went to that site today just to see what the deal was and this is what I found...

"It seems that this site was set to fail from the start because of a certain group of individuals that think they are better then everyone else.
Seems to be the same story but a different web site..
I don't know if we will be back or not, stay tuned..."

I'm not even sure what that means and it seems pretty disingenuous. Too bad the only point seemed to be to upset people. Good riddance.

Who are they talking about? Some of the members of this group started asking questions, and none got answers.

Seems like they've got an attitude problem - and have had one from the start, as evidenced by their decision to be so secretive. :confused: :confused:

Sudonim
08-14-2006, 03:48 PM
How did we affect their website? Did anyone here post adverse comments to their site or were they relying solely on people from geocachingmaine.org to visit their site?
Seems that if there was a negative response from here, that shouldn't compromise a well set up site somewhere else. If comments from one thread here made another site shut down, it didn't have the framework to stand on it's own from the beginning. (IMHO)

WhereRWe?
08-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Seems that if there was a negative response from here, that shouldn't compromise a well set up site somewhere else. If comments from one thread here made another site shut down, it didn't have the framework to stand on it's own from the beginning. (IMHO)

Sudonim gets thunderous applause and a standing ovation! :D :D

Haffy
08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I think the only reason that they posted the original thread in here was just to see if they could stir things up and maybe get a few people interested in visiting their site. I think it worked but hopefully it was just for that short span and I know where my roots are.:D

mainemuel
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I know I have been too busy to be here much this summer, just trying to see whats going on todey,( Big sigh ).
I think some people are not happy unless they can make others as miserable as they are.
The people here are the best in Maine, keep up the good work. Lem

The G Team
08-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't think a legitimate invitation to another Geocaching-related website is any problem at all. However, red flags go up when the invitation is done "mysteriously", by an unknown entity who claims to have nothing to do with the site, but is listed as a forum "admin" on the site. :cool:

I dare say that someone who openly introduces themselves and invites us to check out another site would enjoy a much more positive reception. Just my .02.

LaughingTerry
08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Y'all fuss over other web sites all ya want but I am taking my new kayak aned going caching with it while I am here in Mass...... LOL
Have fun guys, I'll be thinking of you.

vicbiker
08-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Y'all fuss over other web sites all ya want but I am taking my new kayak aned going caching with it while I am here in Mass...... LOL
Have fun guys, I'll be thinking of you.Awful hard to argue with that Kind of logic.Lets all go caching and forget the rest.

GeoMaine
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
I would find it hard to believe that someone would go through the time, effort and expense to put up another geocaching site for Maine and then promptly shut it down.

I would dare suggest that the right person was probably 'caught' VIA this site? You may not have gotten the absolute confirmation that you were seeking but I would hazzard a guess that the talk of IP addresses might have been enough to spook them?

The MGA site isn't able to track IP addresses anymore so they would have been a lot safer to post their log on our site. Why they didn't is beyond us?

We would have been interested in hearing their opinion if they posted it on the MGA; just because we wouldn't neccessarily 'like' it wouldn't have meant that we wouldn't have valued it...

My two cents, which is only worth about half that. : )

ribnag
08-14-2006, 10:26 PM
LaughingTerry : Y'all fuss over other web sites all ya want but I am taking my new kayak aned going caching

And the winner of the thread (drumroll, please)... LaughingTerry! :D

Good to see that someone else "gets" it - I've met a few of you now, and you all seem really nice in person, but seriously, lose the politics! Some folks seem to take this waaaaaay too seriously. :rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - If the social aspect of caching starts annoying you more than you enjoy the "caching" aspect, give the former up for a while.

Hiker Twins
08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
LaughingTerry : [I]

Good to see that someone else "gets" it - I've met a few of you now, and you all seem really nice in person, but seriously, lose the politics! Some folks seem to take this waaaaaay too seriously.

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!

firefighterjake
08-15-2006, 08:36 AM
LaughingTerry : Y'all fuss over other web sites all ya want but I am taking my new kayak aned going caching

And the winner of the thread (drumroll, please)... LaughingTerry! :D

Good to see that someone else "gets" it - I've met a few of you now, and you all seem really nice in person, but seriously, lose the politics! Some folks seem to take this waaaaaay too seriously. :rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - If the social aspect of caching starts annoying you more than you enjoy the "caching" aspect, give the former up for a while.

Here. Here . . . there are "social aspects" to geocaching? ;) :D

FuddsGirls
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
This is all getting very repetative. If someone here wants to check out another sight than so be it. If you aren't happy with this sight than I wish you luck in finding one you are happy with. I personally didn't have an interest in checking out this new sight until all defense started. I went and saw that it wasn't for me. Ok, thanks anyway! As far as the "other" sight or organization, lets not drive away those good members that belong to both. I think before this goes any farther we should put an end to this thread.

attroll
08-15-2006, 12:06 PM
This is all getting very repetative. If someone here wants to check out another sight than so be it. If you aren't happy with this sight than I wish you luck in finding one you are happy with. I personally didn't have an interest in checking out this new sight until all defense started. I went and saw that it wasn't for me. Ok, thanks anyway! As far as the "other" sight or organization, lets not drive away those good members that belong to both. I think before this goes any farther we should put an end to this thread.
You are right FuddsGirls I will close this thread.