View Full Version : Customs & Geocaching

J_Cyr
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I crossed customs in Canada and US 4 time total today, each time a different location because I was caching.

Heres what I came up with --- Am I the only one telling the truth at customs? Because when they ask my pur pose for going in and out I told them geocaching and they said what? So each time I had to explain to them what it was.. and I am pretty sure people go in and out back and fourth atleast a few times a month...

Starzz
08-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Ive told them at Lubec a few times I am going geocaching, and they know what it is, and to have fun! I tell them, oh good, I don't have to explain it! hehe :D

ribnag
08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
J_Cyr : Am I the only one telling the truth at customs?

I think just answering "tourism", rather than the more detailed explanation, would probably save you some time without technically lying. ;)

You just want to see something a bit out of the ordinart - the inside of tupperware. :D

WhereRWe?
08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
I think just answering "tourism", rather than the more detailed explanation, would probably save you some time without technically lying. ;)

This always works for us. But a couple of times they've recognized our licnse plate, or seen the GPSr on the dash, and they initiate a conversation on geocaching. That always ensures a trouble-free crossing! LOL!

Northwoods Explorer
08-14-2006, 04:33 PM
We cross often and generally turn off the radio, take the sunglasses off and answer their questions, we find it is best not to offer unwanted information. Geocaching questions sometimes they will ask what is it all about the same way they do when we go caving. They have even inspected the equipment. Its just their job to ask questions, often strange questions to catch you off guard. After we have been given the OK we have even asked them for directions to locations along the coast and they were very helpful. Have been stopped by the Border Patrol several times when we are close to the border, same thing we just take the time to explain to them and all is good.

firefighterjake
08-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I've rarely had any problems crossing the border . . . with one minor exception .. . . although I did have an "incident" with the Border Patrol (well kind of, sort of.)

Like Northwoods Explorer I always answer their questions succinctly and simply state that I am crossing for the purpose of "pleasure" vs. business. Sometimes they will open a door or look in the back . . . although they have rarely dug through everything (which is wise since some of my clothes are pretty rank after several days of camping and hiking :eek: :D ).

My one exception to this rule was when Heidi and I were visiting PEI and heading to Nova Scotia back in 2001 . . . specifically September 11, 2001 . . . yup, that 9-11. Learned about the terrorist attacks from a hotel clerk at the hotel we were staying at in Souris. We didn't feel right vacationing and were a bit concerned about the borders being closed so we cut our trip short and headed to the border. A few miles from the border we were met with a long line . . . and a Canadian Mountie who was explaining that the border at Calais was backed up as the Border Patrol was heavily screening folks coming into the U.S. The Mountie gave us (and others) a map showing directions to an alternative crossing . . . and it was there that I learned that driving a new (well new to us) vehicle straight from a dealer to Canada and back and keeping the old plates (my firefighter plates) in plain sight was probably not the wisest decision. I was grilled for 5-7 minutes maybe about what I was doing with the license plate, if the vehicle was owned by me, etc. before being sent along my way. As I said . . . a minor issue.

The only other time I have had an experience with the Border Patrol was a number of years ago when I was riding my ATV with some County friends along the border cut trail near Mars Hill to Easton. Maybe it was just a coincidence but at one point I stopped near one of the granite markers that line the border and hopped over to Canada and then jumped back to the U.S. side and then did the stupid American tourist thing by straddling the line to be "in two countries at one time." It was a short time later that we stopped at an old border crossing (ironically there is a geocache nearby) and it was here that a Border Patrol helicopter proceeded to do three fly bys. We continued on our way so as to not arouse any suspicion . . . and a few miles down the trail when we crossed a road a Border Patrol Humvee came roaring out of a side road, looked us all over and then continued on . . . maybe it was just a coincidence?

Northwoods Explorer
08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
This past weekend we went to a MGA event in Fredericton. Great group and good folks, lots of new caches just for the event. When we got to the border, 5:30 am, first question was if all US answer was one US, one germany on passport, and on Indian on passport. Then the guy asked where we were headed and the purpose of our visit. Answer _ Fredericton/Geocaching and his response was oh you are going to the competition. Then he went on to describe his experience/frustrations geocaching and he ask our names and said he had done a few of ours. On the return trip we stopped again, 9:00 pm, they asked if all US answer was one US, one germany on passport, and on Indian on passport. Ask where we had been answer, Fredericton/Geocaching once again he knew about the event and asked how we did and if we were crossing an coins or TB's. It may have been the hour that we crossed or the people we ran into but in this case the border people know all about geocaching which in this case made them that much more friendly even with our strange little international group. Heading across again today for a little exploring and perhaps a cache or two.:D

brdad
08-27-2006, 08:52 AM
What's the Canadian discount on a geocoin? :)

Dave and Gail
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
We cross the border quite frequently and usually don't have a problem. Most of the border guards are quite friendly and have a great sense of humor..:p Just tell them you are geocaching and are looking for the first clue to a multicache which is written on the back side of his badge,,then just reach over and pluck the badge off his shirt..and as soon as they are finished with your body cavity search you will be on your way.:D

Hiram357
08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
We cross the border quite frequently and usually don't have a problem. Most of the border guards are quite friendly and have a great sense of humor..:p Just tell them you are geocaching and are looking for the first clue to a multicache which is written on the back side of his badge,,then just reach over and pluck the badge off his shirt..and as soon as they are finished with your body cavity search you will be on your way.:D

that reminds me of a time when a cop pulled me over and asked me to walk the chalk line... so i did, then he said now do this (and he held his arm out and touched his nose...) so i reached my arm out and touched his nose... :rolleyes: (*note* i have never been pulled over for that kinda stuff:) )