View Full Version : Geo Rallye - MGA

Gob-ler
08-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Just for information. Not trying to start anything.

All is in place for the weekend event. There are 26 new caches that the participants will be hunting. A whole bunch of locationless items for the teams to hunt during the day (can you get a photo of the elusive Gob-ler?).

Prizes and good fellowship at the end of the day.

There will not be a meal served, just not much interest in the meal.

It is not too late to sign up and participate in what should prove to be a fun day.

If you don't participate consider joining us for the wrapup. The details are on the event page.

Sudonim
08-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a really fun event. Sorry I can't attend that one, have a blast :)

firefighterjake
08-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Just out of curiousity . . . will those 26 caches be available for other cachers after the event or is this just for the event?

Good luck . . . it sounds like this is a good start for the first year. As I stated in earlier posts, this isn't my thing, but I firmly believe that variety in geocaching (as in life) is the spice of life.

brdad
08-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Not my thing either - Mainiac's cache bashes are about all the competition I can handle (And Lee always gets it first, anyway!), but many people love the ralleys so it'll be interesting to see the logs and hopefully a few people will have time to take pictures for those that can't attend.

Gob-ler
08-15-2006, 06:18 PM
The 26 caches are regular caches that will be listed Saturday on GC.COM. John has put out 15 and I have put out 11. We have eliminated ourselves from the FTF hunt. We as individuals will be able to search for the other persons hides.

The 26 caches should be good ones. The most interesting part of the day may prove to be the 25 or so locationless things the particapants will be looking for.

And your right, it will be interesting reading the logs. It looks like we have a dozen teams participating as of right now. As I said above there is room and time to still participate should someone want to do so.

I think the details for doing that are in the event post.

The feedback from the participants will determine how it happens again if it happens again.

Now about that photo of the elusive Gob-ler - - - - does anyone really know what color his van is?

Mud brown the last time a photo was on the web!

brdad
08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I like the idea of the locationless more than the actual caches. Funny, since I never considered locationless real caches! I do miss some of the nicer virts, though; it was nice to get one of the classics on Monhegan.

BTW, if you google image for "gob-ler", you get nothing.
If you google image for "gobler" or "gobbler", you get many pics.
If you google image for "gob ler", you're not gonna like it!
Don't do it! Ack!

You did it, didn't you?

d’76
08-15-2006, 06:53 PM
I did it. It wasnt very pretty.

Dave you have way to much tinme on your hands.:D :D

WhereRWe?
08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I like the idea of the locationless more than the actual caches. Funny, since I never considered locationless real caches! I do miss some of the nicer virts, though; it was nice to get one of the classics on Monhegan.

Dave - I note that you lave no "locationless" caches to your credit. Believe me, Some of those took REAL effort. Ask Haffy - as I know he did some of the more difficult ones. We went WAY out of our way to get several of the ones we logged, and I'm as proud of them as I am of any of our finds.

This one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA8A6++&Submit6=Find) I especially liked! :D :D

(Our log is on Aug 5, 2005)

brdad
08-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Dave - I note that you lave no "locationless" caches to your credit. Believe me, Some of those took REAL effort. Ask Haffy - as I know he did some of the more difficult ones. We went WAY out of our way to get several of the ones we logged, and I'm as proud of them as I am of any of our finds.

This one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA8A6++&Submit6=Find) I especially liked! :D :D

(Our log is on Aug 5, 2005)

I know they can take effort. And many are less lame than some traditional caches. I just have this image that a geocache is a defined place that has defined coordinates. Someday I may break and do one just to have it to my list, but I may need some time with a therapist first! :p

However, I don't hold it against you or haffy or anyone for having done any! Even if it is Blueberry land!

firefighterjake
08-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Not to get too sidetracked, but I never cared for locationless caches very much . . . not because they were not in a specific location, but because so often they were restrictive and would not allow more than one geocacher to log the same locationless area . . . I mean just how many working steam locomotives, suspension bridges, etc. are there in the U.S. As I said, just my opinion.

Now back to the show . . . again Gobler good luck . . . and thank you and HD for putting out those additional caches too.

hoys
08-16-2006, 09:14 AM
I had actually planned on attending this event, but other obligations reared their heads like they do for most events I want to attend (grin), so I'll have to give this one a miss. :(

Best of luck, and I hope it is an enjoyable event!

parmachenee
08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Not to get too sidetracked, but I never cared for locationless caches very much . . . not because they were not in a specific location, but because so often they were restrictive and would not allow more than one geocacher to log the same locationless area . . . I mean just how many working steam locomotives, suspension bridges, etc. are there in the U.S. As I said, just my opinion.

This is why I did some of them...when you did one, no one else could do it. It was "yours" ....found, photographed, and logged and could not be repeated. I found some very unique and interesting spots because of these caches so I certainly think they were worthwhile and many took much more effort than some of the traditional caches I've done. As far as having a fixed location, there were moving caches that were allowed at one time that didn't have a fixed location. It's just a preference thing...if you don't want to do them...don't. :) Oh...hello from Colorado...I won't be at the MGA event either.:)

Beach Comber
08-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Sounds like it will fun and exciting! Unfortuantely, I will not be able to attend as I have an Artisan Show commitment at the Wharf Street Festival on Long Island (Maine, that is).

Have fun!

Pooh and friends
08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
The 26 caches are regular caches that will be listed Saturday on GC.COM. John has put out 15 and I have put out 11. We have eliminated ourselves from the FTF hunt. We as individuals will be able to search for the other persons hides.

I havnt seen any new ones yet

Haffy
08-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm curious as well as to why they haven't been listed on GC.com yet. If they were to be regular caches then they should have been posted for all to hunt at the same time and not just the people who entered the Rally. Not that it matters to me as I won't be traveling all the way down there in the near future but I'm sure there are others who would have liked to have had a chance at the FTF. Or maybe the reviewers just couldn't get them listed all at once then and the Rally didn't go as planned. Too bad if that happened after all the work by the MGA crew did to make it go.

Gob-ler
08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
The rallye is taking place now as we speak. The caches will be listed this afternoon. That is pretty much standard operating procedure with events like a georallye.

Haffy
08-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I would think that being a paying member of GC.com and getting instant notifications that you would be entitled to the same benefits to hunting caches that were being published on GC.com as any other member. I don't know all the protocols for holding a Geo Rally but it would seem to me that any cache that is published by GC.com would be posted at the same time and not withheld from the rest of the geocaching community. So does that mean that any cache that was found before it was published is not really a found cache til it is published? In other words is it possible that after the rally is over and the caches have all been found by those who have taken part in the Rally that the next person who finds the cache After it is published will get credit for the FTF? I am confused about this whole thing. Any one care to elaborate on this?

WhereRWe?
08-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I would think that being a paying member of GC.com and getting instant notifications that you would be entitled to the same benefits to hunting caches that were being published on GC.com as any other member.

All people are equal. And then there are some that are more equal than others! LOL!

Don't try to figure this out Haffy. It isn't worth the effort... :p :p

The G Team
08-19-2006, 07:58 PM
This is merely speculation on my part, but I would think that in order to ensure the caches were in place and unmolested for the rally that they would not be published on GC.com. Once the rally was done, it would be OK to submit them for publication for the Geocaching public at large. Of course, I could be wrong.

Haffy
08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Makes sense I guess ,then after and only after they are published then they are eligible for the regular cache find or FTF if that is the case.

Hoamdezinahs
08-19-2006, 10:13 PM
John, The MGA rallye caches are legitimate legal caches that have been found and logged. The FTF’s are over and done with. These caches are just as legal as “Member only caches”, and holding caches for special events is done all the time. You must not have read gob-lers post. My wife and I ran an event just like this in Florida in Jan of this year, and all the caches were held until the end of the event for listing on GC.com. Hum, I wonder if anyone down there cried about it.

Haffy
08-19-2006, 10:27 PM
On the contrary I wasn't crying about anything I was just wondering how all this seemed to work out was all. All you had to do was read my posts. I was just asking a simple question and you seemed to read something in my posts that wasn't there. Glad everything worked out for you all and hope everyone had a good time.

Hoamdezinahs
08-19-2006, 11:08 PM
John I’m sorry you misunderstood me. I wasn’t implying you were crying anymore than you were implying the MGA was doing something wrong. I was just wondering out loud if some of the Florida people were upset. It doesn’t make sense to get upset at something that GC.Com allows, don’t you agree.

brdad
08-20-2006, 06:49 AM
John I’m sorry you misunderstood me. I wasn’t implying you were crying anymore than you were implying the MGA was doing something wrong. I was just wondering out loud if some of the Florida people were upset. It doesn’t make sense to get upset at something that GC.Com allows, don’t you agree.

I am not sure it is something gc.com allows - it's more of something they can't really enforce. Otherwise, why wouldn't pre-approved caches be visible online? And upset may be a strong word, but I would not be surprised some of the Florida people were not overly pleased with the practice. I'm sure you didn't ask them all. But you can't please everybody and it is just a game. If a non-rally participant had found out the coords for all the unpublished caches and FTF'd them before the rally started, you would probably not have been happy about it either.

I personally would most likely not be as proud of an FTF acquired on a yet to be listed cache. I am proud of one such FTF I got, but I didn't have coords or any description for that particular cache, only the park it was in. The circumstances can make a difference. There was also another cache at that park for which approval was delayed and therefore a good number of people at the event found that cache before it was listed. But if a friend gave me coords to his cache before it was published, the FTF would not be as valuable to me, and I probably would not consider it as an FTF anyway.

So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

kayakerinme
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I am not sure it is something gc.com allows ...

So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

At the same time we were participating in this rallye, another nearly identical event was (and still is) taking place in Massachusetts: (GCX363)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0cd720c8-43e9-442a-9f22-56670a01859f

This event was published by a different reviewer (MadMin) than gpsfun.

The Great Smoky Mtn GeoQuest (GCRMN6) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a5b62b50-8325-438b-af80-ebe61cce1135 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a5b62b50-8325-438b-af80-ebe61cce1135)was also run under similar rules and cache publication, though the cache page has been changed to show the results, also published by a third reviewer.

Maybe it is something gc.com allows.

If it's not worth getting excited over, why post a message that appears to imply that somehow the cachers involved in the rallye don't match the morals of all cachers? If so, what morals do I have (or lack) as a result of being a part of this event? If not, could you please elaborate on what you meant by posting that comment?

Thanks.

Hoamdezinahs
08-20-2006, 02:55 PM
To brdad Dave you said: So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

In answer to moral caching standards wouldn’t you agree that a member of this site, that is running for office, and who is a geocaching.com charter member should have higher moral caching standards than most cachers? Yet this same person has a personal website that is spreading lies, trashing, insulting, inciting and flaming fellow geocachers for no other reason than he doesn’t agree with them, and he’s upset because they started another organization. Wouldn’t you agree he should be trying to get along instead.

Gob-ler
08-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Morals, now that is an interesting subject.

Especially interesting when the decision is made to place a whole group of cachers (40 or so) into the realm of not being moral because they chose to participate in a GeoRallye where the caches were published on GC.Com after the event.

I find it somewhat amusing that this sort of description would be used, but not surprised that it would come from this web site.

Let me raise a question or two for you to chew on.

1. I was approached by cachers yesterday and informed that when a DNF was logged on a Gob-ler cache that a prompt email was received from someone quite well known in these circles that gave expilicit detail as to where the cache was hidden. That is really not in the spirit of Geocaching at all. More interesting is where that information came from. How moral is that?

2. Recently there was a FTF logged on a cache that was hidden. Signature but no date. It just so happens that the person who logged the FTF was also out caching the day before with the person that hid the cache. Of particular note is the fact that I have seen dozens and dozens of logs by this cacher and every one of them was dated in some fashion. Maybe it is not as it appears, but it certainly looks strange to me. Is this a moral issue that needs to be dealt with by the Morality experts?

3. What can certainly be reflected on some posters here is how unfriendly they can be to new folks here. It has happened time and time again. Is this a "Moral" issue too?

4. Another cacher yesterday commented that they did not find me to be anything like what they had been told by some folks over here. How does that reflect on this site? Is this another "Moral" issue?

Moral's is an interesting subject. The most important thing is who you are when no one is looking. Who you are usually shows in the long run. Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.

My Grand Mother taught me as a young child that if I could not say something nice that I should say nothing at all. It is a good way to live one's life. Most of the time I have followed that advice and when I did not I always regreted it.

Pooh and friends
08-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Wow, anyway I got a FTFAP (first to find after posting) on " another dam micro" today. Good micro, if thats what you like. I didnt have the 40 bucks for it and dont own a digital camera, so I couldn't play in the rallye. That is a high price to pay for something that is suppost to be free. Just my 2 cents.

Gob-ler
08-20-2006, 04:00 PM
P&F, the Georallye is just a different sort of event. I certainly understand where your coming from on the cost thing. The bottom line is that all who participated in the Rallye enjoyed themselves very much. They all talked of coming back for the next one. I guess that is a good thing.

The difficulty comes along when folks who do not agree with it become vocal and make discrediting comments (I don't think yours are of that nature).

As for the cost thing there were expenses associated with doing the rallye. Neither John or I used a single penny for expenses associated with placing the caches. The containers, paint, cache contents etc were all out of pocket expenses that we paid for personally.

The offer was made I believe for folks to run it with out paying the $$$, they just would not be eligible for prizes and awards.

It was a very good time with lots of excitement in the air from beginning to end. Read the event logs and see.

Hiram357
08-20-2006, 04:36 PM
P&F, the Georallye is just a different sort of event. I certainly understand where your coming from on the cost thing. The bottom line is that all who participated in the Rallye enjoyed themselves very much. They all talked of coming back for the next one. I guess that is a good thing.

The difficulty comes along when folks who do not agree with it become vocal and make discrediting comments (I don't think yours are of that nature).

As for the cost thing there were expenses associated with doing the rallye. Neither John or I used a single penny for expenses associated with placing the caches. The containers, paint, cache contents etc were all out of pocket expenses that we paid for personally.

The offer was made I believe for folks to run it with out paying the $$$, they just would not be eligible for prizes and awards.

It was a very good time with lots of excitement in the air from beginning to end. Read the event logs and see.

I think it would have been fun (although confusing) But I just got back from ohio around 1am this morning (after about a 13hr straight drive)

were there good prizes?

are the caches now available to public?

congrats on pulling off a succesful rally :D

brdad
08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Maybe it is something gc.com allows.

If it's not worth getting excited over, why post a message that appears to imply that somehow the cachers involved in the rallye don't match the morals of all cachers? If so, what morals do I have (or lack) as a result of being a part of this event? If not, could you please elaborate on what you meant by posting that comment?

Thanks.

Just because one cacher has a set of morals or standards he goes by does not mean that another cacher is better or worse because of his morals. For the most part, this is an individual sport and we can make our own judgements as to the way we want to cache. The world if full of people with varying morals and standards, and in basic life situations who cares? Some men open a door for a woman, some don't. Some people go to church, some don't. It doesn't make anyone better than the next, it just shows the diversity among us.

To brdad Dave you said: So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

In answer to moral caching standards wouldn’t you agree that a member of this site, that is running for office, and who is a geocaching.com charter member should have higher moral caching standards than most cachers? Yet this same person has a personal website that is spreading lies, trashing, insulting, inciting and flaming fellow geocachers for no other reason than he doesn’t agree with them, and he’s upset because they started another organization. Wouldn’t you agree he should be trying to get along instead.

I'm not sure how my caching standards compare to other cachers. And I don't care to compare them. They are for my use. They regulate how I decide to cache, and not you or anyone else. I may express my beliefs, but you can ultimately decide your own caching morals.

As far as any pages on my web site - I am not a liar. If there is anything you think is untrue there, feel free to show me proof to the contrary and I will be glad to edit it accordingly. And I am not upset about a new organization. I am upset that this organization was confronted with questions well in advance in which they would not answer at the time, yet they promised to answer them after they went live. When I did just that, I was attacked back at as if they had never expected the questions before.

Morals, now that is an interesting subject.

Especially interesting when the decision is made to place a whole group of cachers (40 or so) into the realm of not being moral because they chose to participate in a GeoRallye where the caches were published on GC.Com after the event.

I find it somewhat amusing that this sort of description would be used, but not surprised that it would come from this web site.

Let me raise a question or two for you to chew on.....

Moral's is an interesting subject. The most important thing is who you are when no one is looking. Who you are usually shows in the long run. Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.

My Grand Mother taught me as a young child that if I could not say something nice that I should say nothing at all. It is a good way to live one's life. Most of the time I have followed that advice and when I did not I always regreted it.

It seems these morality questions would be better suited in a different thread, but here are my (and only my) answers to your questions:

1. That does not match my caching morals. If I want a hint, I will ask, and will ask the cache owner. And I certianally would not offer explicit directions to a cache that was not mine.

2. I had to read this one a few times to see where your issue was. I think now you are implying the cacher went with the cache owner when it was hidden and logged the find/FTF. If so, I feel the validity of the find is between the cacher and the cache owner. Myself, I would not feel right claiming it as a find unless I stayed back out of site when it was hidden and then used my GPS to find the cache while the hider looked on. I would not claim it as an FTF. But again, that is me, if other cachers want to do that I am not going to get excited about it.

3. IMO, This goes outside caching morals and is just standard internet relations. Myself and others were treated rather unfairly as new people at another site recently as well. It happens and is unfortunate. This site is a site of the members, and every member is different. There are bound to be some disagreements and confrontations. It is great when everyone can get along, but this is not a perfect world.

4. Again, IMO this is another issue outside of caching morals. I don't think it's neccessarily right to talk down other people in any situation. And many people deserving do not need it - they generally show themselves for who they are eventually. But it does happen, and in many cases people should stand up for themselves.

As far as reflecting on the site - how does this work for people who belong to both sites? If this person talk me down, does it make both sites look bad? Hoamdezinahs called me a liar, does that make both sites look bad? Sometimes you have to disconnect the member from the organization. If not, you'd better look down on all the other organizations I am a member of as well. Oh wait, that means geocaching.com is bad as well....

Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.

Feel free to check any caches I have found or placed to see if I logged them against MY gecoaching morals.

The real world is not always nice, but I say if you can't be nice, at least be truthfull. I haven't yet said anything here I regretted saying. I have on a few occasions, however, wished I worded some things slightly differently, as we have discussed in recent PMs. I can't say the same for some who have deleted entire threads for what I think the reason was saying things they wished they had not said. At least that's the way it came across top me.

---------------------------

All that being said, my previous post was not against the rally or any of you. I was actually trying to back the rally up some by saying that while some people may not agree with the finding of caches before they are approved, Geocaching.com is aware of the process so those people should just let it be. Or, if they are very strongly against it, they should confront Geocaching.com to see about changing it.

Cache Maine
08-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Attacks toward other cachers and/or this or other websites will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with a particular cacher, please address it in private with that person. If you have an issue with something that has been said on this forum, please contact us using the link provided at the bottom of the screen or by using the "Report Bad Post" button on the offending post. This thread is now closed since the purpose has been fulfilled.

attroll
08-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Attacks toward other cachers and/or this or other websites will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with a particular cacher, please address it in private with that person. If you have an issue with something that has been said on this forum, please contact us using the link provided at the bottom of the screen or by using the "Report Bad Post" button on the offending post. This thread is now closed since the purpose has been fulfilled.
Thank you Cameo you beet me to it and closed the thread before I could.