View Full Version : Please don't tell me that my Quebec Geocoin was stolen...

OusKonNé
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
On August 10th, I released a new 2006 Quebec Geocoin in a cache of Kennebunkport, Maine:
(GCTBFR) Kennebunkport's Scenic Cache by Patrick, Nicholas and Dad
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCTBFR

On the last log of the cache, hasbell95 confirms that my Quebec Geocoin is not in the cache anymore... :confused:

I'm getting nervous about my Quebec Geocoin. I hope the Geocoin is in the hands of a Geocacher in vacations that do not have access to Internet and will post the log later.

Not to far from there, there is another cache with a Geocoin than is not in the cache anymore:
(GCQNM6) Laudholm Farm Cache II by CarlGurt and The Two Reprobates
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCQNM6

The "Serenity - 573" Geocoin is not in the cache... :mad:

To follow...

Haffy
08-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I think putting anything in a cache you are just taking a chance that it doesn't get stolen. One of the hazards of the game I guess. I hope that it is indeed in the hands of a vacationer and hasn't had time to log it yet. Just a chance you take.

WhereRWe?
08-18-2006, 07:26 AM
I note that another cacher from Quebec also logged the cache on Aug 17 - the same day it was reported missing. You may want to contact them.

hollora
08-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I had a TB go missing from a cache. When I visited the cache I went back in the log and discovered who had taken it (they logged it). It was a new geocacher but they were caching with other more experienced folks. An email to the older cachers helped recovere the TB and get it moving again. That is not always the case I know. I placed a coin in a geocache a while ago - and it went with no notation in the log. But I would suggest someone check the log in the actual cache first.

Agreed - place anything there and there is no guarantee. We just need to keep educating and hope for the best.

WhereRWe?
08-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I had a TB go missing from a cache.

Agreed - place anything there and there is no guarantee. We just need to keep educating and hope for the best.

Sheesh! Don't get me started on this subject! LOL! Many people can tell you the saga of the "Boothbay Register TB" - released in conjunction with an article about RULOST2? and me in the Boothbay Register - which was picked up by a local cacher who held it for nearly a year, despite numerous efforts by people who knew him to get him to release it.

He finally logged a cache, logged the TB in, but within a day or two, the next cacher stated that the TB was not in the cache. Obviously the person with the TB was a lying SOB who kept the TB for some reason and then lied about placing it in a cache.

:mad: :mad:

Haffy
08-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Or maybe he just lost it and was afraid to admit it. :(

WhereRWe?
08-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Or maybe he just lost it and was afraid to admit it. :(

Kept it or lost it, I'm still sure he's lying about putting it in the cache. :mad:

RockyHa
08-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Kept it or lost it, I'm still sure he's lying about putting it in the cache. :mad:

I'm curious how you would know? Perhaps the person that reported it not there took it just to bait making statements like the above, or perhaps someone didn't like you or the first person to take it and came along and took it without logging the find at all.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm curious how you would know? Perhaps the person that reported it not there took it just to bait making statements like the above, or perhaps someone didn't like you or the first person to take it and came along and took it without logging the find at all.

I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This has been an ongoing issue for over a year. Prease don't jump in now and try and make judgements.

If you're that curious, please go back and read the threads on this subject.

RockyHa
08-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Prease don't jump in now and try and make judgements.

If you're that curious, please go back and read the threads on this subject.

I made no judgements simply asked a question. Unless the dude confessed or one has 24 / 7 survalence on the cach how would one know?

Mainiac1957
08-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I made no judgements simply asked a question. Unless the dude confessed or one has 24 / 7 survalence on the cach how would one know?
Can you please explain to me why most of your posts are abrasive toward members of this website. Many of us have been on here actively since its inception. You suddenly decide to become an active participant who has nothing nice to say to anyone. Is this necessary? We are all friends here who sometimes get into active discussions. But in the end we are friends. Didn't your mother tell you if you don't have something nice to say they don't say anything.

RockyHa
08-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I have been abrasive to noone, and in this case simply asked a question. I have had items disappear from caches even whole caches (from my own land). The answers certainly could have been considered to be abrasive or unfriendly in the least.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I have been abrasive to noone, and in this case simply asked a question

No, of course not. Questioning the ethics of well known and respected geocachers is not being abrasive. LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RockyHa
08-20-2006, 10:56 AM
No, of course not. Questioning the ethics of well known and respected geocachers is not being abrasive. LOL! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I questioned noones ethics, simply asked a question.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I questioned noones ethics, simply asked a question.

LOL!

Here's what you said, "Dude" (spelling errors and all...):

"At the very least the poll should be deleated prior to closeing the election as the numbers aren't there to support having the election. Frankly the existance of the poll reflects poorly on the ethics of the nominees."

And again:

"My concern is that the poll doesn't support the election, the numbers aren't there to justify saying the membership is in favor of organizing, hence calling into question the ethics of the nominees."

Remember now?

Sheesh!

attroll
08-20-2006, 11:18 AM
LOL!

Here's what you said, "Dude": "My concern is that the poll doesn't support the election, the numbers aren't there to justify saying the membership is in favor of organizing, hence calling into question the ethics of the nominees."

Move on...
Lets try and stay on topic here.

Were talking about the coin and then you bring in the election conversation. RockyHa simply asked a question and everyone got on the defensive. Yes he may sound mean spirited but I think it is only because of the way people reply to him sometimes. Reactions go both ways. When someone asks a question and in a rude way they get a rude answer. Also when someone asks a question nicely and gets a rude answer then the person asking starts to get rude.

Here is what he asked.

I'm curious how you would know?
Then he went on to explain what could have been the case scenario.

I am not sticking up for RockyHa but there seems to be a lot of jumping down on people here lately. Also RockyHA if you could maybe cooperate a little that might help too.

WhereRWe?
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Were talking about the coin and then you bring in the election conversation. RockyHa simply asked a question and everyone got on the defensive. Yes he may sound mean spirited but I think it is only because of the way people reply to him sometimes. Reactions go both ways. When someone asks a question and in a rude way they get a rude answer. Also when someone asks a question nicely and gets a rude answer then the person asking starts to get rude.

Rick -

I don't think you followed the thread closely. Please start reading from Mainiac1957's comment.

Brad asked a decent question: why is this guy so abrasive? He denied it, and I posted a couple of examples.

(If you think a thread has moved off-topic, then close it. We'll start another one! :D :D )

attroll
08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Rick -

I don't think you followed the thread closely. Please start reading from Mainiac1957's comment.

Brad asked a decent question: why is this guy so abrasive? He denied it, and I posted a couple of examples.

(If you think a thread has moved off-topic, then close it. We'll start another one! :D :D )
I quit. I give up.

ribnag
08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
attroll : I quit. I give up.

Please don't. :eek:

Perhaps we just need a "BBQ Pit" forum, where people can troll, flame, and generally abuse one another to their hearts' content. When a thread starts getting off-topic and into a grey area, move the whole thread to that forum; Then you'd only need to intervene and close the thread if it started getting really nasty. :(

I've seen that work well on other sites - It keeps the "real" threads cleaner, since if you just close a thread when it goes sour, some people will carry on the discussion in another otherwise-productive thread. And if someone still manages to get hurt feelings, well, they'd have only themselves to blame for hanging out in a dark alley with a wad of cash hanging out. ;)

WhereRWe?
08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Perhaps we just need a "BBQ Pit" forum, where people can troll, flame, and generally abuse one another to their hearts' content.

If I've flamed anyone lately, I'd certainlylike it pointed out!

Sheesh!

If a guy is a liar, and you point that out, I don't consider that flaming! Flaming is when you call a person a liar when he isn't. :D :D

ribnag
08-21-2006, 09:11 PM
WhereRWe? : If I've flamed anyone lately, I'd certainlylike it pointed out!

I said no such thing. But I will soundly call you off-topic. And off-topic posts make baby whales cry, or something like that. WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE BABY WHALES??? :(

And don't overlook the finger-wiggle... wiggle! Wiggle! WIGGLE! ;)

Let that stand as a lesson to the rest of you! Fear... my Squirrely Wrath! And the shaking finger of doom. Yep - doom! :p

brdad
08-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I said no such thing. But I will soundly call you off-topic. And off-topic posts make baby whales cry, or something like that. WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE BABY WHALES??? :(

So, it seems you're off topic talking about whales. Would mentioning one of the first pictures seen when image googling for "save the whales" be off topic as well?

By the way, my "Brdad lost his marbles!" TB was stolen once, that puts it back on topic. :D

And I'll also back WhereRWe? by saying he is no baby! :p
(Sorry, Bruce, he set me up)

WhereRWe?
08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
And I'll also back WhereRWe? by saying he is no baby! :p
(Sorry, Bruce, he set me up)

But I do whine and fuss a lot, don't I? :p :p

Speaking of which - and getting back on topic - we did SEVERAL caches here i New Hampshire yesterday that had TB's listed in the cache, but the TB was missing. If a TB has been missing for some time - logged into a cache but never logged out anddefinitely not there - it should be sent to the "TB Graveyard (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=29352&decrypt=y&log=)". :D :D

brdad
08-22-2006, 07:01 AM

Speaking of which - and getting back on topic - we did SEVERAL caches here i New Hampshire yesterday that had TB's listed in the cache, but the TB was missing. If a TB has been missing for some time - logged into a cache but never logged out anddefinitely not there - it should be sent to the "TB Graveyard (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=29352&decrypt=y&log=)". :D :D

Although if you check with many TB purists, they don't like the TB graveyard. IIRC, much of it has to do with the fact extra miles are added on the the bug didn't really make. You just can't please everyone!

I really like the idea of TBs, but am not excited about them because there are so many opportunities for things to go wrong. Just goes to show cachers are people too, some good, some not so good, and some just don't understand what a TB is.

WhereRWe?
08-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Although if you check with many TB purists, they don't like the TB graveyard.

Well, my only concern is that a lot of people - WhereRWe? and RULOST2? included - will go out of their way to log a cache that has a TB in it. We love them and have gone WAY out of our way to help a TB to reach it's goal.

There's nothng more frustrating to get to a cache with a TB listed in it only to find that the TB isn't there. :( :(

Cache Maine
08-22-2006, 07:21 AM

The TB Graveyard is no longer needed, since you can now mark a bug "Unknown location."

hollora
08-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Correct Cameoooooo - thank you for pointing this out.

WhereRWe?
08-22-2006, 05:15 PM
The TB Graveyard is no longer needed, since you can now mark a bug "Unknown location."

Right - but I think putting it in the "TB Graveyard" is muchmore interesing! LOL!

OusKonNé
08-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Coming back to the purpose of this subject: My Geocoin is OK. :)

It was in the hands of a vacationer who posted its log only on August 21st for a found on August 11th.

Sorry for the false alarm! :rolleyes: