View Full Version : New PalmOS based GPS software

RayDarLLC
10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
RayDar LLC is pleased to announce V1.33 of GeoNiche -- the premier GPS enabled geocaching software for PalmOS.

GeoNiche V1.33 includes:

Geocaching data importation

Support for many GPS receivers, including BlueTooth devices

Advanced target and route sorting (including sorting by proximity)

Multiple user-definable Navigation Mode configurations

360 degree rotation, several magnifications, pan up, down, left, and right

Color, grey-scale, hi-res, and lo-res

Responsive on a Palm Vx

Uses standard PalmOS user interfaces

Pedometer (Trip Meter) measures distance travelled

Accurate distance and heading to target computations

Distances, speeds and elevations in English, metric and nautical

Dates and numbers displayed in user preferred format

True and magnetic compass bearings

Many GPS coordinate display and input formats

Powerful target and route management

Sophisticated beaming capabilities

Two independent GPS data displays

Automatic update of target-visited date/time

Alarm tone when near a target

Fifty icons (including 7 for geocaching), in any color, to represent targets

Works well for users who connect their handheld to more than just a GPS

Estimates accuracy of the GPS position fix

Geocache hint decoding

Cut and paste target coordinates in one operation

Help available on every screen

Many other exciting features

Check out the free trial at
http://www.RayDarLLC.com

attroll
10-21-2004, 12:22 AM
So do you have to by a adapter to recieve a signal with this? I breifly read it but did not see where it said.

attroll
10-21-2004, 12:29 AM
I found what I was looking for.

Requirements

In order to use GeoNiche, you must have the following:

A PalmOS based handheld with PalmOS 3.5 or newer
An NMEA-based non-Compact-Flash GPS receiver that is compatible with your handheld
A desire to get the most out of your GPS/handheld combination

WhereRWe?
10-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Hmmm.... This message sounds like SPAM to me, but I'll check it out. Hard to teachus "old dogs" new tricks, though. I've gotten so used to Cachemate... :confused:

Beach Comber
10-21-2004, 07:47 AM
I share your concern Bruce. Perhaps this is a legitimate company, but I'm not sure how interested I am with them having free reign to advertise through the website. I get bombarded with stuff as it is and have enjoyed being free of that here. Of course, if others believe that there is value in receiving the information, I am certainly ok with that as well.

attroll
10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
I thought the same thing when I first saw the post and that it was from Redmond Washington.

Geochicks
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I thought the same thing when I first saw the post and that it was from Redmond Washington.

Yeah, but he posted that on the same day he joined and hasn't posted since as far as I can see... and LLC means Limited Liability Company (or Corporation).....

Mainiac1957
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I have to agree with Bruce on this one. The intent of this site as I understand is for the geocahing public in Maine to share information and stories etc. I can't blame the guy for trying to market his product either. Then again I'm not the webmaster of this site. So Rick I guess it's your call. :rolleyes:

attroll
10-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Well darn I hate having to make the decision for everyone. This is our site and not my site. But I will give my opinion. Hopefully this is an isolated case and it will not continue to happen. You can look at it in two prospectives.

1. He is just trying to push his software, which I can not blame him.
2. It might actually be good software.

The only down side to it is that this guy join our site just to push is software and he will probably never participate on the site again.

So we can leave it up or I can just put the a link for his software in the links section for people to check out and delete his post if he does not come back in less then a week and post a reply. The second one might be the thing to do.

Mainiac1957
10-21-2004, 04:37 PM
See Rick, I knew you'd have a good answer :D . Where he is from Washington state I don't see him adding much to our local dicussions. You are right that the links page may be a better place for him, and yes it may be a wonderful product. This is however an ad free web site, and his post looked like an ad to me. Or at least a link to an ad site. Truth is I guess it's not that big a deal either way. Of course I have been thrilled with GSAK now that I'm figuring out how to use it. So another registered program isn't anything I need at this time. Have a good weekend all, and happy caching!

WhereRWe?
10-21-2004, 06:32 PM
At least he is advertising a Geocaching product. Not like SOME spam emails I get. Sheesh! (You ALL know what I mean... nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)

Haffy
10-21-2004, 09:24 PM
I posted a question in the Geocaching .com website under the GPS and software forum about this specific software that RayDarLLC is pushing if anybody is interested to know anything more about it.

RayDarLLC
11-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Hello,

I am the author of GeoNiche.

I am currently looking for beta testers with a PalmOS based handheld and a Compact Flash based GPS receiver to test the next version of GeoNiche which may support these type of GPS Receivers (depending on how the beta testing goes).

As with all beta testing, you may receive a version of the program that crashes and/or loses data. On the other hand, you might also receive a fully functional program before it is available to others.

If you are willing to help, and you have a Compact Flash based GPS receiver for your PalmOS handheld, please send me an EMail message.

Thanks
((RayDar))