View Full Version : Caching Virgin

Chef Dave
10-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi all!

Bumped into an article about geocaching a few days ago and have been researching anything I can find about it since. Bought a new gps today and am very eager to go out on my first hunt this Saturday. I'm going hiking with my wife that day and have forewarned her that we may have to make a few stops ;). She's actually very excited about this as well!

This is a great site that you have here and look forward to "talking" to you all in the future.

I'll let you all know how my first experience goes!

Hiker Twins
10-22-2004, 04:04 AM
Hi Chef Dave:
Welcome to Geocaching in Maine. This is a great group and we have had some fun get-togethers! Geocaching will take you to a lot of beautiful places and some in your own backyard that I bet you won't have seen before, oh, and the caches, that's why we are out there!

Mainiac1957
10-22-2004, 07:14 AM
We love "new" people. What's for dinner chef? :D Welcome to the group, and hope to see you at a event cache in the future. Always remember even if you forget eveything else you learn from us...... Don't feed the cachers or they'll follow you home. Have fun on you're first outing, and be sure to tell us all about it.

Rpapaman
10-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Hello Chef Dave and welcome to the "mainiac" community of geocachers! I am fairly new to this as well, however, I can tell you that this is not only a great outdoor adventure, but, the 'group' is one of the finest I have ever been a part of. I am geocaching around the Bangor area tomorrow (10-23-04), so, may run into each other. Good luck and above all have fun. Ron in Calais, ME

brdad
10-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the obsession, ChefDave! I guess we know what your duties will be at the next event :D

Have fun!

Haffy
10-22-2004, 07:45 AM
:) I hope you know that life in the outdoors will never be the same now. It's the best activity I have ever taken part in and the people you will soon meet are the best. Happy Caching PS. Don't forget that hunting is around the corner so don't forget the blaze orange if you are out and about in the woods.

Forest_Nymph
10-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Welcome!!
This is a whole new world for you now. We all hope to meet up with you on the trails or at an event real soon. You'll enjoy this pasttime, I'm sure!
There's nothing like discovering new places in your own "back yard"!

Forest Nymph and her shadows (Hubby and the dogs!)

parmachenee
10-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Welcome to a great group of people you'll enjoy getting to know. As others have said, be sure to get to one of the caching events we all enjoy so much. And enjoy caching in the state with the best caches. :D

Tink
10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Welcome Welcome !! Do I smell are really really awesome first picnic in the spring ..hehehehehe....Just teasing..!! Happy Caching !! :)

WhereRWe?
10-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey! Why wait until spring???

Welcome "Chef". Hope you like this (sport???)(hobby???)(addiction???) as much as the rest of us do. :p

Cache Maine
10-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Why don't we plan something for late November? Let's say...a Turkey Hunt! Anybody have any good ideas?

PS Welcome to the group Chef Dave...and remember, ALWAYS waypoint the vehicle! Look forward to meeting you soon!

Cameoooooo

Beach Comber
10-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Great to have another "Southerner" in the group! There is so much to see in our area and everywhere else in the state - this is a fantastic way to find all the great places!

You may have already found the Tips for Newbies in the Getting Started Forum section, but just in case you haven't I wanted to let you know it is there. There are many great tips, that can be of great help.

Hope to meet you on the geocaching path or at an event somewhere along the way. Have fun!

Chef Dave
10-23-2004, 12:21 AM
WOW!
Thank all of you very much for making me feel so welcome. Would love to cook for you guys sometime or better yet maybe have a get together at one of the restaurants I work at down here in the flatlands :).

I'm getting very excited to go on my first hunt tommorrow. I really hope we can fit it in. We're hiking Mt. Chocurua in the White Mountains and I'm trying to find some caches along the way.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thank you all again :cool:

Chef Dave
10-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Well we've had a BLAST this weekend. You guys are right this is VERY addicting. Did 2 hunts in NH on Saturday. One yesterday and one this afternoon. Had a very challenging day yesterday and completed it just before it was pitch black out. Learned a valuable lesson "ALWAYS bring a flashlight!" just in case.

Today we learned another lesson...bring 2 flashlights..lol.

The one we completed this afternoon/evening was a blast. The sun was setting as we arrived but we pressed on anyway. Luckily I waypointed several times as we were traveling since we would've gotten lost in the dark without them.

I've lived in this area for over 8 years and never realized some of the beautiful places right in my backyard. That's what makes this activity worthwhile! Can't wait for Saturday to go on our next round of hunts!

Beach Comber
10-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Isn't it fantastic! I have been busy working and haven't been able to cache for over a week :mad: LOL.

Have lots of fun - it is such a wonderful way to see what is around us and that we would otherwise miss. Days like today make it tough to stay inside - would much rather be caching!!

Hoamdezinahs
08-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Welcome to this sport, hobby, pastime, whatever. We have been doing it since april and love it. I can be so much more than hunting for a cache. We have seen lots of places that we never would have seen if not for searching for a cache. We have also got a lot of exercise as well. Just make sure you have plenty of money for Bug Spray, Gas, Bug spray, Bandaids, Bug spray, Poison Ivy ointment, Bug spray, Water and snacks, Bug spray, Hiking shoes, Bug spray, Gpsr accessories, Bug spray, Geo site premimum membership, Bug spray, New alarm clock to get up early for FTF's, and Bug spray. Oh did I mention you may need Bug spray. Happy trails, John

WhereRWe?
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
John,

You've got to stop reading these old threads! LOL!

:D :D :D

covefarm
08-23-2005, 08:52 PM
It is a good sign that you are hooked before your first find! I am new to this too. It has been so wonderful visiting places I would not have had the fortune of visiting otherwise. Have fun......covefarm (Barbara from Bar Harbor)

firefighterjake
08-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Uh . . . since Chef Dave originally started this thread back in October of 2004 I guess it's probably safe to say that he is no longer a caching virgin and probably knows quite a bit about caching by now . . . including bringing the all-important bug spray. :)

covefarm
08-25-2005, 08:03 AM
I guess he has been around. I didn't notice the date of joining, but aren't we a welcoming bunch!!!!!!!

Yeehawma
08-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Reading old threads may be helpful to newbies. (like me). I have been trying to gain some insight into your "welcoming bunch" and the caches up there in Maine. So keep on posting replies.....
Yeehawma

jeepingirl2
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Welcome! I'm fairly new myself. I started last weekend, and I have not looked back.!!!

Sudonim
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Welcome! I'm fairly new myself. I started last weekend, and I have not looked back.!!!

You need to look back sometimes, or you'll forget where you parked!
(and I'm only half joking:eek: )

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Just a warning **twitches** they say geocaching lead to latnem instabbbbbbbbilaty... i havent NOTICED!!! any **drools** probprobprobproblems personaly but welcome to THE RUBBER CHICKEN IS IN THE SIGN!!! Geocaching.com!!!! **hides under desk** :eek::D:rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Welcome! I'm fairly new myself. I started last weekend, and I have not looked back.!!! You've got a Jeep, you only need to look back to see who didn't make it... :D

Hiram357
04-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Uh . . . since Chef Dave originally started this thread back in October of 2004 I guess it's probably safe to say that he is no longer a caching virgin and probably knows quite a bit about caching by now . . . including bringing the all-important bug spray. :)

Haha, so is that another one we've scared away???? :rolleyes: