View Full Version : My new...60CSX

J_Cyr
08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Well....my new GPS came in today!! Got the 60CSX, upgraded from the 60CS. I paid about $200 in difference, but I REALLY wanted the 60CSX. (personally... I like it better then the 76 models... why have the button at the top of the screen so your hand gets in your way... and I have heard bad things with the built in antennas...)

Just thought I would share my glory!

WhereRWe?
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Well....my new GPS came in today!! Got the 60CSX, upgraded from the 60CS.

I think you'll be glad you upgraded. We STILL cannot say a bad thing about ours. :D :D

becket
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
We STILL cannot say a bad thing about ours. :D :Djake and i probably could come up with something!:D

firefighterjake
08-25-2006, 08:20 AM
jake and i probably could come up with something!:D

Nah, I won't stoop so low to beat up another brand . . . the way I figure it I've got quite a few finds with the old Meridian and I like the Explorist even better so other than a few bells and whistles I can't see a reason to switch brands.

I'm thinking that if a person is happy with whatever brand, make and model they choose to go geocaching then that's all that really matters -- whether it's a Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, etc. or if it is a cheap $100 unit or a high-winder model . . . the truly important thing is to get out there and enjoy what this great state offers for geocachers.

Beach Comber
08-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Well....my new GPS came in today!! Got the 60CSX, upgraded from the 60CS. I paid about $200 in difference, but I REALLY wanted the 60CSX. (personally... I like it better then the 76 models... why have the button at the top of the screen so your hand gets in your way... and I have heard bad things with the built in antennas...)

Just thought I would share my glory!

You lucky, lucky boy!!! Enjoy! I was a split second away from getting one and thennnnnnn......... well, I decided to buy (and have installed) two bearings, a viscous coupling, and a bit of differential/bushing work done on my subaru! Needless to say, I will still be caching with my Vista for awhile - LOL

WhereRWe?
08-25-2006, 04:32 PM
You lucky, lucky boy!!! Enjoy! I was a split second away from getting one and thennnnnnn......... well, I decided to buy (and have installed) two bearings, a viscous coupling, and a bit of differential/bushing work done on my subaru! Needless to say, I will still be caching with my Vista for awhile - LOL

Sheesh! "Viscous coupling"? :eek: :eek:

Where are the moderators when you need them! :p :p

firefighterjake
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM

HehHeh . . . I learned a new word today from Hollora about this sort of thing . . . but I don't think I should repeat it here. ;) :D

Beach Comber
08-25-2006, 08:20 PM

oops - Did I say that out loud? hehehe I have to say, I have been educated recently about the many obscene sounding parts that are part of my subaru - goodness - not too mention some of the foul language that was coming out of my mouth when I heard about what the problems were and how much it was going to cost to get them fixed. UGH!!

Ok, I didn't intend to hijack the thread - but thanks for letting me whine about my car. Onto the topic......60csx - I look forward to getting one!

WhereRWe?
08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Ok, I didn't intend to hijack the thread - but thanks for letting me whine about my car. Onto the topic......60csx - I look forward to getting one!

The trouble with one of these nice, accurate, mapping/routing GPSr's is that you really need that nice, expensive Garmin Mapsource City Select software to go with it! And equally bad, is the fact that once you've had it, you can't go geocaching without it! LOL!

Cache Maine
08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
HehHeh . . . I learned a new word today from Hollora about this sort of thing . . . but I don't think I should repeat it here. ;) :D

Ohhh fiddles...go ahead. The moderators aren't looking...

Haffy
08-26-2006, 12:41 PM
What moderators?

aaronpriest
09-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Congrats J_Cyr!

I've really enjoyed my 60CSx. I got Topo and City Select as well for maps and I switch between them depending whether I'm driving or hiking. I wish I could display them both at the same time as layers, but it's easy to switch.

It works very well with Delorme Topo 6. I have a serial cable to connect it to my iPAQ as well for more detailed Delorme maps on the PocketPC. I also discovered a wicked awesome program called TopoFusion that I use to download my GPS tracks when I get home. Definitely check that program out!

I actually made my own map layer of the trails in the Bangor City Forest and it sits on top of Garmin's Topo. That was a lot of hard work, but lots of fun!

Enjoy!!!

Aaron

WhereRWe?
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
I actually made my own map layer of the trails in the Bangor City Forest and it sits on top of Garmin's Topo. That was a lot of hard work, but lots of fun!

Could you send me a copy of that file? Thanks! :D :D

aaronpriest
09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I discovered the original map I used to trace the trails over was not really that accurate. If I had the time, I'd walk over every trail and make a new map from actual GPS logs. That would be much more accurate. This map at least gets you headed in the right direction, though it's off by quite a distance.

It's a little complicated to install. I created a .reg file that you can run to register the map with MapSource so you can download it to the Garmin without overwriting your existing maps. You have to put the files in the exact location on your hard drive referenced in the .reg file (or alter the .reg file if you wish).

I'll email the files to you with more detailed instructions.

WhereRWe?
09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll email the files to you with more detailed instructions.

Got them. Thanks! :D :D

J_Cyr
09-02-2006, 08:41 PM
That TopoFusion is good stuff.

aaronpriest
09-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I might buy TopoFusion, it's really neat! I like the various layers it has (arieal, topo, etc.). I also like the track stats and profiles, like stopped time, moving time, average speed, elevation, etc.